Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,095 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call (31271 Views)

What Do You Hate About Your Job Or Place Of Work? / The 'famous' Nigerian Female Police Officer Still Beautiful In Makeup Free Photo / Nine Things Nigerian Bankers Hate About Their Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Jaqenhghar: 12:14am On Aug 24, 2021
CSTRR:
If 70% of all the doctors that graduate in Nigeria stay back and are well paid, you would not see long queues in general hospitals.

You will not hear a doctor ask you to "summarise your problem" in the consultation room because he has a long line of patients to attend to.
Which means you would often end up forgetting key issues you wanted to ask your doctor.

And the Nigerian standard of living would be much higher than it currently is due to improved health care.
If a man will not do his job dilligently for 100k a month, even if you pay him 1m a hour he will not do his work. Facts.
If high pay guaranteed productivity, your senators would have bee some of the most productive people in earth. People working in NNPC would have been the hardest workers
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Dextre(m): 12:38am On Aug 24, 2021
arejibadz:
me sef dy wonder y Dem dy complain

It was clearly an interview, not a complain. Cmon man, think a little more than you do normally
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by DrFunmisticGlow: 2:17am On Aug 24, 2021
Jesuschristus:
Nobody will talk abt the free call food hospital provide every night
most hospital don't have good call food. The doctors eat the same food served to patients. Horrible food

The call food in my place of work aggravates peptic ulcer no matter what it is, so I don't eat it anymore.

The thing I hate about calls is how it increases anxiety and makes a mockery of your mental health.

Being called at odd hours of the night for cases that are not emergencies, that could have been seen earlier in the day, or the next day due to patient stubbornness. The cough you have been nursing for 2 weeks will not suddenly disappear in the night. Don't come to the hospital at 2 am because you have been having vaginal itching for 4 days. Come at 2am if things have gotten much worse, in pain, on your way to heaven.

Then the worst is patients who come needling higher level of care that your hospital cannot provide but have been rejected by 3-4 higher hospitals due to lack of bed space. They do not understand that a smaller center can only administer first aid and waste their precious money and valuable time if they are admitted because they cannot really do much if a higher center has rejected. You can't really bite more than what you can chew.

Even worse is patients relatives who then use this as an opportunity to attack health staff.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by DrFunmisticGlow: 2:42am On Aug 24, 2021
DECLAN2015:

That is not true
Esp the "real good one"
Many have left not because they are good than others but just have the means(finance and connection)
Any doctor that can work in nigeria environment can easily work at anywhere .most Nigerian trained doctor are intrinsically good cos it is not easy to graduate from nigeria medical schools.So drop that notion.
he actually isn't lying, Most of the doctors you see are either really young, less than 7 years, or really old, more than 20 years In the profession.

There are almost no middle aged doctors left.

It will be interesting to see what happens when all the professors and elders die off, because it will start to shock people.

Most people studying abroad don't plan to come back unless they are given a political post.

Even more shocking is that nurses are leaving in higher numbers and faster than doctors. It's easier for them to leave as they actually have higher demand.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by OmayieHenry(m): 2:43am On Aug 24, 2021
AfonjaConehead:
Yep and we sailors ain't left out as well. Ain't funny waking up at night to take ullage s during STS so everyone can have fuel..
Btw,
Please can someone tell me,what is a Dr KAKAMOR?

grin

Na so.. brother me too need connect to get on onboard a vessel. Send me your digits
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by DrFunmisticGlow: 2:45am On Aug 24, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

If a man will not do his job dilligently for 100k a month, even if you pay him 1m a hour he will not do his work. Facts.
If high pay guaranteed productivity, your senators would have bee some of the most productive people in earth. People working in NNPC would have been the hardest workers
Na so.

Yet nigerian doctors that travel abroad do well. What's so different between there and here.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by armyofone(m): 5:45am On Aug 24, 2021
Same here - just that we don't work with torchlight or roaches as scrubs.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by sadiq1985: 5:54am On Aug 24, 2021
if i were you i would have advice the professional body to reduce the ristriction and increase the no. of practissional from the system so that the ratio of doctions far petieces will balace. i can recall for the last 30year the samething is happening Govt Hosp u have to go 6am and left 4pm i dnt know why ...
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Hathor5(f): 6:33am On Aug 24, 2021
ImaIma1:

Being a doctor takes much more than graduating from medical school. Having the heart to practice is very important because not everyone will end up in convenient places.

Look at doctors in the US during the critical COVID period that had to work tirelessly. Their concern is always for their patients to be well. You can't come and be complaining about not having time for events, etc.

I know people who studied medicine but work in sectors where they still use their medical degree but do not attend to patients.

It's actually not by force to be in a career if it doesn't match your personality or you don't get satisfaction doing it. Doctors are not called super heroes for nothing o.

Trust me when I say that you don't want an exhausted doctor to perform a surgery on you or your loved ones.

Super heroes or not they are still human being doing a job and have a right to a private life.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by steveyen(m): 7:35am On Aug 24, 2021
Because our government is stupid by training doctors for nearly free with Nigeria common purse money

Let them go and get the degree overseas and see how it is .

CSTRR:
And with the rate of doctors leaving the country, it is only going to get worse.

Saudi Arabia is currently having a recruitment drive in Abuja for doctors.

I saw the invitation logo on Twitter.

They are just packing doctors from Nigeria like sardines.

This country is just turning in reverse mode at a furious speed.

Badly badly governed.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Jaqenhghar: 7:42am On Aug 24, 2021
DrFunmisticGlow:
Na so.

Yet nigerian doctors that travel abroad do well. What's so different between there and here.
Over there, they dont entertain a culture of laziness. You do anyhow and that's it. They know it that's why they sit up. You think it's money that makes them work hard?

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by steveyen(m): 7:56am On Aug 24, 2021
Then leave the profession and go try something else.

You doctors here in Nigeria are just cry babies honestly and it is so annoying.

Doctors are one of the highest paid profession in Nigeria. You come here crying about calls when at the end of the month you get paid for it and a very high payment rate for that matter. You people are one of the luckiest in the country because a good number of you work in government establishment where you can afford to go on strike as you like. If you try that in any private industry you will see where it will land you guys.

A lot of other professionals work harder than you guys get paid lesser and they dont come out crying everywhere.

We are honestly tired of all this cry cry things

If you need private life go and establish a business.

Hathor5:

Trust me when I say that you don't want an exhausted doctor to perform a surgery on you or your loved ones.

Super heroes or not they are still human being doing a job and have a right to a private life.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by steveyen(m): 8:00am On Aug 24, 2021
Dont mind them. They are doing it to make themselves more relevant. So that they will keep saying no doctors and their pay will continue to go higher.

There is a professor that delivers a lecture on this tactics on youtube.

sadiq1985:
if i were you i would have advice the professional body to reduce the ristriction and increase the no. of practissional from the system so that the ratio of doctions far petieces will balace. i can recall for the last 30year the samething is happening Govt Hosp u have to go 6am and left 4pm i dnt know why ...

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by DrFunmisticGlow: 8:01am On Aug 24, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

Over there, they dont entertain a culture of laziness. You do anyhow and that's it. They know it that's why they sit up. You think it's money that makes them work hard?
Actually, money, the fact that your family has a good life, and the fact that there's systems for everything in your workplace, all the latest technology to make things easier, not using rechargeable lamp to operate a patient because nepa has taken light and the gen is faulty.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Kevinsamba: 8:16am On Aug 24, 2021
I apologize.
jaeyking:

Actually I think it's you rather.
Go and check the NUC standard of lecture and see if whatever school you attended in Nigeria fits it.

Any profession you dwell into in Nigeria be ready to be strained.

So all this complaint are not worth it

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Jaqenhghar: 8:35am On Aug 24, 2021
DrFunmisticGlow:
Actually, money, the fact that your family has a good life, and the fact that there's systems for everything in your workplace, all the latest technology to make things easier, not using rechargeable lamp to operate a patient because nepa has taken light and the gen is faulty.
I have given you 2 examples yet you stil insist its money.
In the same Nigeria I worked in an international organization where you are provided the latest technology and gen running 2-4-7 so your work is easier. You are paid heavily and are given all the perks to make life easy for you but no, getting people to do the simplest tasks was so difficult.
Most doctors who I know migrated to the UK around 2009 -2011 are no longer in the UK. Same complaint long work hours + the pay isnt good enough but they gave their very best in spite of it all. You think the likes of Dr Amalu are millionaires? They are famous for their works does not equal becoming millionaires.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by DrFunmisticGlow: 9:07am On Aug 24, 2021
steveyen:

Doctors are one of the highest paid profession in Nigeria. You come here crying about calls when at the end of the month you get paid for it and a very high payment rate for that matter. You people are one of the luckiest in the country because a good number of you work in government establishment where you can afford to go on strike as you like. If you try that in any private industry you will see where it will land you guys.

A lot of other professionals work harder than you guys get paid lesser and they dont come out crying everywhere.

that's what many of us do. I am currently learning a side hustle, once it pays off, I dump medicine for Nigerians. Medicine isn't worth practicing here. I can only do it in countries that appreciate the value the profession provides them.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Hathor5(f): 9:48am On Aug 24, 2021
steveyen:

So because other people suffer, everyone needs to suffer? What kind of mentality is that?

Continue telling doctors to endure bad working conditions so that more and more doctors leave the country where they will be welcomed with open arms and you and your loved ones will go to a babalawo to treat yourselves.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by steveyen(m): 8:46pm On Aug 24, 2021
These is the kind of ridiculous doctor mentality that get people pissed up with you guys.

So you want doctors, that are one of the highest paid people in the country, to continue to live better and damned the other people that are suffering? Others are free to suffer right ?

Funny you mention Babalawo. Because doctors will be babalawo if not for brilliant engineers, scientist, pharmacist etc that gave you all you needed to work and the place you work'.

The countries all of you now want to run to what made them stand out ? They took time to first develop their engineering , science and technological sectors. That is how they got money, machines and equipment to put into medical field. If they havent where will you run to ?. Here in Nigeria doctors are going on strike so that we can pour all the money into their pockets.

Besides, had it been you have gone to study in those countries by now you would have known how many millions would have gone out of you or your family pockets. Nigeria practically trained you for almost free. The money belongs to Nigeria populace. Doctors esp in US are riddled with huge college loans.

Also, people and nations health should be measured by how well and healthy they live so that they avoid you doctors and hospitals not by how many people rush to doctors every day. You guys have seen this as a selling point to rub on everybody and to make urself all important gods. You expect people to be sick and come running to you as saviours. Go and check Scandinavian countries people live healthy and less demand for doctors.

So Mr doctor dont come her bemoaning your working conditions , if you dont like it leave it. You guys have turned yourself into strikemongers.

On final note, if those countries you mentioned are so easy to go, you will not be here on nairaland crying.

Hathor5:

So because other people suffer, everyone needs to suffer? What kind of mentality is that?

Continue telling doctors to endure bad working conditions so that more and more doctors leave the country where they will be welcomed with open arms and you and your loved ones will go to a babalawo to treat yourselves.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Hathor5(f): 8:57pm On Aug 24, 2021
steveyen:
[s]These is the kind of ridiculous doctor mentality that get people pissed up with you guys.

So you want doctors, that are one of the highest paid people in the country, to continue to live better and damned the other people that are suffering? Others are free to suffer right ?

Funny you mention Babalawo. Because doctors will be babalawo if not for brilliant engineers, scientist, pharmacist etc that gave you all you needed to work and the place you work'.

The countries all of you now want to run to what made them stand out ? They took time to first develop their engineering , science and technological sectors. That is how they got money, machines and equipment to put into medical field. If they havent where will you run to ?. Here in Nigeria doctors are going on strike so that we can pour all the money into their pockets.

Besides, had it been you have gone to study in those countries by now you would have known how many millions would have gone out of you or your family pockets. Nigeria practically trained you for almost free. The money belongs to Nigeria populace. Doctors esp in US are riddled with huge college loans.

Also, people and nations health should be measured by how well and healthy they live so that they avoid you doctors and hospitals not by how many people rush to doctors every day. You guys have seen this as a selling point to rub on everybody and to make urself all important gods. You expect people to be sick and come running to you as saviours. Go and check Scandinavian countries people live healthy and less demand for doctors.

So Mr doctor dont come her bemoaning your working conditions , if you dont like it leave it. You guys have turned yourself into strikemongers.

On final note, if those countries you mentioned are so easy to go, you will not be here on nairaland crying. [/s]

I am not even a doctor but keep ranting without sense.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by steveyen(m): 9:02pm On Aug 24, 2021
I love your spirit bro.

It is not that people dont want good things for doctors but it seems you people expect too much from Nigeria. One cant be in the desert and keep complaining there is no water or expect abundance of rain.

The countries you people mention, they are far richer and developed in engineering and technology that is why they can afford to pour money and machines into the medical field. And it is not only doctors that have it good overseas, every professionals are paid better there.

Given the present situation in the country, expect from the politicians and engineers in oil and gas, you guys are among the best paid in the land.

if you listen to budget office, Nigeria might soon be borrowing to pay workers. 90% of revenue is already being used to service debt. The solution to jumpstart engineering , technological and agricultural sector so that more money can be made and more can come into medicals.

So leave if you must, do other things if you must but complaining about your work is not the way. You guys are still one of the lucky few in Nigeria of today.

DrFunmisticGlow:
that's what many of us do. I am currently learning a side hustle, once it pays off, I dump medicine for Nigerians. Medicine isn't worth practicing here. I can only do it in countries that appreciate the value the profession provides them.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by steveyen(m): 9:08pm On Aug 24, 2021
I dont care whether you are a doctor or not you made a ridiculous comment that deserve an answer.

If you dont see sense in what I have written then I will call into question your sense of reasoning.

And I can see you have no sensible answer so you result to abuse. Typical of people like you. Do take care

Hathor5:

I am not even a doctor but keep ranting without sense.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Hathor5(f): 9:12pm On Aug 24, 2021
steveyen:
I dont care whether you are a doctor or not you made a ridiculous comment that deserve an answer.

If you dont see sense in what I have written then I will call into question your sense of reasoning.

And I can see you have no sensible answer so you result to abuse. Typical of people like you. Do take care

You made no sense whatsoever. Good night.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by steveyen(m): 10:15pm On Aug 24, 2021
How could a senseless person ever see a sense in anything ?

Enjoy your night mister.

Hathor5:

You made no sense whatsoever. Good night.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Abdogood(m): 10:51pm On Aug 24, 2021
Next time I will be more nicer yo my doctor. Noe i understand
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by suffering: 6:55am On Aug 25, 2021
If the work tire them, they can try the marketing department of a Nigerian bank.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by FORWARDEVERLY: 8:48am On Aug 25, 2021
Y'all should shut up and do your jobs...
No one forced y'all to be doctors and nothing special about that..
People are doing more harzardous jobs than medicine..
Y'all should stop Wailing or join your colleagues in Saudi Arabia

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 29, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

Dem tell you say for the oyinbo land na play dem dey play? They work just as hard if not more. At least for naija you fit kill patient and go free.
Lmao. Say kill patient and go free
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by bukatyne(f): 3:40pm On Aug 31, 2021
MrFinbarr:

Shut up please. This silly generalization is becoming really annoying and stale. I hate it that every time I introduce myself as a doctor, next remark I get is "doctors like women".... Like, wtf!!!

I don't even understand where that generation stems from because a good number of my male colleagues are very responsible and reserved men. Enough of this stupidity!!!

Hahahahahaha

Abeg nor vex cheesy
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by bukatyne(f): 3:40pm On Aug 31, 2021
Oyerinde16:
I really envy doctors and I say kudos, I was sick recently and a doctor placed me on admission and drips, I had taken drips uptil like 10pm when the doctor on night said its better I go home that night, but I objected and preferred to stay till the next morning... What I saw with my two naked eyes through that night was an I saw, if I had known I would have gone home... I saw them rushed people in pain, psychological disturbed people, accident victims with blood dripping, I saw what I shouldn't have seen, the two doctors on call at the emergency units were kept busy all through the night, the next morning I left there and never to be admitted in an open ward again, I would rather pay anything to get a private ward, But in all I give it to God, then the docs...

Your eyes have seen, your ears have heard...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ikechukwu Ikeji, Lawyer & Pastor Dies (Photo) / Pictures Of How I Stylishly Resumed Work Yesterday (pics) / Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.