Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,909 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (186) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1181443 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:53am On Jan 14, 2022
Hephzi04:
Hello people, please who takes the home insurance policy between a landlord and a tenant? Also what are the things the landlord repairs if bad during the course of the tenancy?

Landlord responsible for fixing the usual - plumbing, installed white goods, structural, electrics, etc.
Of course you also apply wisdom - if you call your landlord for a leaking tap once, maybe twice, the next time something similar happens you find a Polish plumber in the area or on Nextdoor and fix it yourself. With time, you get a set of tools and learn to tinker with the basics yourself (YouTube is helpful for that).

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 9:45am On Jan 14, 2022
It was quite warm from Nov-1st week in Jan. It's gradually become colder at my end in the past week. Temp's been between 5 and -1 over the past week
mizGene:
While I am sure there are good areas, I never did get a good impression of Luton the few times I drove through in November....too many derelict houses left and right...

Meanwhile, is it me or is the weather warm for winter?( it felt much colder early Dec...)
Will it get colder in later Jan/Feb?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 9:58am On Jan 14, 2022
mizGene:

Meanwhile, is it me or is the weather warm for winter?( it felt much colder early Dec...)
Will it get colder in later Jan/Feb?

You don call the cold out now... -2 here undecided

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 9:58am On Jan 14, 2022
SamReinvented:

Please we are not complaining ooo. Don’t use your mouth to bring cold cheesy cheesy

Hahaha!

Ironically, I started noticing it felt colder yesterday and today....I better zip it cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 10:07am On Jan 14, 2022
Chreze:

Yes, that’s what that clause means. Most company use that, not just in the UK. Even in Nigeria. Especially multi nationals companies.

I think it’s a clause on your working visa self. I saw something like that. You are not allowed to do multiple jobs when on working visa I think.

So basically if you take a second part time or temp job, you could get in trouble?
You can't start a registered side business?
Na wa o. Feels quite restrictive...

Is it enforced though? Asking because that was a clause in a company I worked for in Naija, but no one bothered with enforcement...ppl even declared their side businesses during interviews and were still hired....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 10:09am On Jan 14, 2022
Good morning @Chreze
Please, I would like to make some enquiries from you. How can I reach you personally.

Thank you.

Chreze:

You have a point, and yes glasgow has an increasing drug rate over the years. I saw the documentary and have been following up with the news on that topic.

Yes, there’s gonna be increase crime rate in any city that houses people from different countries, origin and culture.

But one thing I think you may have gotten wrong is comparing the crime rate (not junkies) in Scotland to other parts of the UK (England to be precise in this discussion). The other types of crime that are very common in London are not as common here in Glasgow. Yes, it’s possible the crimes are here, but not as pronounced as with London.

Also you searched for the cities with high crime rate in Scotland, you obviously will have cities listed out. If I am to search for cities with high crime rate in Finland, New Zealand or Sweden (which happen to be the peaceful countries on earth), you will still find cities listed out.

What I think you should do is type top 10 cities with high crime rate in uk. Then check how many cities are from Scotland. If you still think it’s too small, then you can increase to top 20 and see how many Scottish cities will appear.

NB: I am still Johnny just come in some ways, but this is a topic I researched thoroughly before choosing Scotland as a place to school and live with my family.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 10:15am On Jan 14, 2022
AirBay:

cheesy you sha wan collect council house..... honestly this thing dy pepper me.

I have noticed there are some small loopholes in the system that is open to citizens and immigrants too. In general these loopholes will only increase the number of lazy people. I remember when they cut the money they were giving to support homes some months back, my wife said that week, a position they advertise for long got lots of applicants (whites).

I don’t blame them tho, cus I think if same benefit is in Nigeria there will be lazy people too who would not wan to do anything but collect the small money and just sleep.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 10:23am On Jan 14, 2022
mizGene:

So basically if you take a second part time or temp job, you could get in trouble?

Is it enforced though? Asking because that was a clause in a company I worked for in Naija, but no one bothered with enforcement...ppl even declared their side businesses during interviews and were still hired....

Well you know generally things in Naija are hardly enforced. But the company I worked for then in Naija enforced it. Maybe cos na international firm that is top on their game cos I noticed they held same policy across all branches globally.

For UK I don’t know, but I will like to think so cos you will be registered with the company for tax and it will show you have another commitment. But one thing I know is it’s different for dependent. They can do anything, work anywhere (except stated on the visa) at any time. Even if they want to get 3jobs. Na them sabi.

All these conditions are in the graduate route and there they mentioned it was similar to conditions on working visa. that was how I got to know.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 10:31am On Jan 14, 2022
ybahrbz91:
Good morning @Chreze
Please, I would like to make some enquiries from you. How can I reach you personally.

Thank you.

Hi,

on the forum they promote saying things here so that others can get to learn too. I think it’s reasonable cos most of the thing I read from Fatima’s wall were not responses to me but to another person years before I even saw them. Also there are people here with dictionary and manuals in their brain, they give good and better answers cos they have been here longer and are older in age/experience.

You can ask your questions here, no body judges anyone and the good thing is no one knows each other personally (I believe).
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 11:03am On Jan 14, 2022
Thank you @chreze for your response.

I really appreciate the sacrifice everyone is doing on this page to provide support.
May the good Lord reward everyone abundantly

I plan moving to Glasgow soon and that was I why i made such request. Now I understand that I can put up any question on this page for everyone to benefit.

Thank you once again.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 11:16am On Jan 14, 2022
ybahrbz91:
Thank you @chreze for your response.

I really appreciate the sacrifice everyone is doing on this page to provide support.
May the good Lord reward everyone abundantly

I plan moving to Glasgow soon and that was I why i made such request. Now I understand that I can put up any question on this page for everyone to benefit.

Thank you once again.

Cool. Glasgow is a nice place with majorly nice people too. I am sure you will like it here.

Plus we don’t have poo on the floor like Orile and Apapa people in other parts of the UK. But we have plenty Junkies oooo. We are working as a society to reduce them and help them off the street. We try to show love too so that people don’t get depressed and start to take drugs.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 11:18am On Jan 14, 2022
Chreze:

You can ask your questions here, no body judges anyone and the good thing is no one knows each other personally (I believe).

Guys please can anyone speak to studying a 3 year course in the UK?

If you have 80-100 percent of the first year fees prior to resumption, what would it be like working to pay off the remaining 2 years?

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 11:25am On Jan 14, 2022
Thank you Chreze for the heads-up.

I would like to know if the COVID-19 rules for England is same for Scotland.

I would aslo like to know the Flight route to Glasgow from Nigeria.

You once advised on securing AirBnb ahead before traveling down. I would decide on this when I get the location in Glasgow I will be coming to.

Thank you.

Chreze:

Cool. Glasgow is a nice place with majorly nice people too. I am sure you will like it here.

Plus we don’t have poo on the floor like Orile and Apapa people in other parts of the UK. But we have plenty Junkies oooo. We are working as a society to reduce them and help them off the street. We try to show love too so that people don’t get depressed and start to take drugs.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 11:55am On Jan 14, 2022
mizGene:

Ancillary activities clauses in employment contracts are common. Their general aim is to try to ensure that the employee is not burning the candle at both (or several) ends to ensure they have enough energy and dedication to perform the duties for which the employer is hiring them. There's no surveillance involved, so your employer has no means of finding out if you have another evening job unless that comes to their notice another way (age-old story of working two jobs in the same industry and finding out the hard way that your bosses in both jobs know each other).

On the other hand, on the old Tier 2 visa had a prohibition on sponsored employees working for other employees in most circumstances, and that came from the government as a condition of the visa (not sure of the conditions of the new Skilled Worker visa), and that is separate from this particular clause to which the original poster referred.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 12:14pm On Jan 14, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Ancillary activities clauses in employment contracts are common. Their general aim is to try to ensure that the employee is not burning the candle at both (or several) ends to ensure they have enough energy and dedication to perform the duties for which the employer is hiring them. There's no surveillance involved, so your employer has no means of finding out if you have another evening job unless that comes to their notice another way (age-old story of working two jobs in the same industry and finding out the hard way that your bosses in both jobs know each other).

On the other hand, on the old Tier 2 visa had a prohibition on sponsored employees working for other employees in most circumstances, and that came from the government as a condition of the visa (not sure of the conditions of the new Skilled Worker visa), and that is separate from this particular clause to which the original poster referred.

Thanks for giving more clarity. But like Chreze said, won't they get to know from the tax angle? You know how your tax is different if you have a second job ( or is it only the second job employer that would know?)

Also I want to ask, for those on skilled worker visa, is there any implication for changing jobs midway? (to another employer who is happy to sponsor)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tolajay: 12:32pm On Jan 14, 2022
Greetings, house.

Is it advisable to book a flight ticket before my visa/passport arrive?

Context: I have a resumption date of 1 Feb with NHS. Visa application has moved to VAC from DMC today. So I'm expecting the collectiom email next week.

But I'll like to move fast on flight booking to save cost. What do you advise?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Sunshine777: 12:36pm On Jan 14, 2022
Hello, I have naira and need pounds..Do you still have?
MISSYTOSIN:
Abeg, who get naira ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gorgeousqueen: 12:53pm On Jan 14, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Plumbing and Gas, are your landlord's responsibility.......... Even getting rid of rats, is your landlord's responsibility too ......... grin

Hello,
What about getting rid of moulds.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 12:56pm On Jan 14, 2022
mizGene:

Thanks for giving more clarity. But like Chreze said, won't they get to know from the tax angle? You know how your tax is different if you have a second job ( or is it only the second job employer that would know?)

Good point.
Yes, your tax code changes in line with the number of places you're paying tax.
To be perfectly honest, I see quite a few tax codes like that which point in that direction, but we've no rules to flag any such thing. Again, most of the people for whom I see such variable tax coding are on the starter rungs of our corporate ladder anyway, so perhaps the company doesnt begrudge them supplementing their minimum wage with other employment.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 12:57pm On Jan 14, 2022
Gorgeousqueen:

Hello,
What about getting rid of moulds.

Lol.
Buy mould spray.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 1:00pm On Jan 14, 2022
Newbie123:

Guys please can anyone speak to studying a 3 year course in the UK?

If you have 80-100 percent of the first year fees prior to resumption, what would it be like working to pay off the remaining 2 years?

Thanks

Any answer/advice?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 1:15pm On Jan 14, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Good point.
Yes, your tax code changes in line with the number of places you're paying tax.
To be perfectly honest, I see quite a few tax codes like that which point in that direction, but we've no rules to flag any such thing. But most of the people for whom I see such variable tax coding are on the starter rungs of our corporate ladder anyway, and perhaps the company doesnt begrudge them supplementing their minimum wage with other employment.

Thanks for the better HR explanation on this. My question now is, if the visa rule stylishly states that and your company too stylishly add the clause, stylishly going against them won’t cause the person any wahala?

You know say this UK wey we de now na the only home we know. Nigeria our country is slowly turning to a war zone. So e go better make person know watin him/her de do to avoid stories.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 1:28pm On Jan 14, 2022
ybahrbz91:
Thank you Chreze for the heads-up.

I would like to know if the COVID-19 rules for England is same for Scotland.

I would aslo like to know the Flight route to Glasgow from Nigeria.

You once advised on securing AirBnb ahead before traveling down. I would decide on this when I get the location in Glasgow I will be coming to.

Thank you.

Covid rules I don’t know for people coming in. I will advice you check gov.scot to get latest update. I know the cases are increasing and jab are walk in thing now.

Flight to Glasgow, when I check that time I saw British airways to Lag- London, then London - Glasgow. But I used Emirate.

I used Emirate cos the time I came, covid was flexing muscle and I thought since I was with a baby, going thru London airport that has lots of connecting flight from US and all those other countries that the citizen were being stubborn to respect Covid that early time won’t be the best option for my family. So we took Emirate to Dubai, and direct to Glasgow. Also emirate has good food and snack for kids + being cheaper that time.

Airbnb, if you have your visa, I will advice you plan this early, months before your arrival if possible. Accommodation has been somehow since last year. It was difficult getting accommodation and we thought it was climate change summit, but after summit people are still finding it hard. So work on that properly.

Best of luck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TuniLove: 1:31pm On Jan 14, 2022
Good Afternoon Everyone!
Happy New Year!

Please does anyone know how much it cost NHS to sponsor someone that has been offered a job and already in the UK?

Thank You.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 1:41pm On Jan 14, 2022
Newbie123:

Any answer/advice?

This is one topic I notice people are always careful to talk about and I think it is because it causes lot of arguments. Justwsie didn’t give up when he was called different names in one of the 2019 debate.

As a brother I will say, it is not going to be easy. But very possible. Nothing is impossible in life again. Also I think a 3year program may not be as choked as a 1year program, so maybe there will be time to work and still give attention to your studies.

Question for you to ask yourself are:

1. How good are you in the area you are studying. If you have good knowledge then classes and projects won’t take you time to complete. But if it’s a new area or an area you are not so good at, it will be very difficult and possibly depressing.

2. How much is the fees in questions. If the fees are much, then you will have to work more hours. Remember have just 20hrs a week term time and possibly be placed under minimum wage (or even lesss).

3. How good are you in multitasking? Some people are not nice in groups, some will frustrate you with their over-sabi, while some won’t fail to report to the lecture that your contribution is not adequate. Can you keep up with both requirements?

I think there are more questions others will add.

In all, it’s all about your drive and what you want in life. Like I said nothing is impossible anymore on earth. Not even with short vacation trip to other planets by Elon and Jeff.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TuniLove: 1:43pm On Jan 14, 2022
Health and Care Worker visa

TuniLove:
Good Afternoon Everyone!
Happy New Year!

Please does anyone know how much it cost NHS to sponsor someone that has been offered a job and already in the UK?

Thank You.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hephzi04: 1:46pm On Jan 14, 2022
Thank you now I know better
Lexusgs430:

Plumbing and Gas, are your landlord's responsibility.......... Even getting rid of rats, is your landlord's responsibility too ......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hephzi04: 1:54pm On Jan 14, 2022
Na wha o, this Landlord wants to make it my responsibility.
TheGuyFromHR:

Home emergency cover is the landlord's responsibility.
As the name states, it covers call outs in the event of an emergency such as burst plumbing, boiler failure, etc.
Contents insurance is what you as a tenant can take out, if you wish, to possibly cover your possessions and any items of furnishing your landlord may have in the house.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 2:25pm On Jan 14, 2022
God Bless you bro.

Thanks a lot for this. I will keep you posted.

Chreze:

Covid rules I don’t know for people coming in. I will advice you check gov.scot to get latest update. I know the cases are increasing and jab are walk in thing now.

Flight to Glasgow, when I check that time I saw British airways to Lag- London, then London - Glasgow. But I used Emirate.

I used Emirate cos the time I came, covid was flexing muscle and I thought since I was with a baby, going thru London airport that has lots of connecting flight from US and all those other countries that the citizen were being stubborn to respect Covid that early time won’t be the best option for my family. So we took Emirate to Dubai, and direct to Glasgow. Also emirate has good food and snack for kids + being cheaper that time.

Airbnb, if you have your visa, I will advice you plan this early, months before your arrival if possible. Accommodation has been somehow since last year. It was difficult getting accommodation and we thought it was climate change summit, but after summit people are still finding it hard. So work on that properly.

Best of luck.

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.