Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,230 members, 7,811,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:19 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (187) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1170335 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 2:43pm On Jan 14, 2022
Chreze:

This is one topic I notice people are always careful to talk about and I think it is because it causes lot of arguments. Justwsie didn’t give up when he was called different names in one of the 2019 debate.

As a brother I will say, it is not going to be easy. But very possible. Nothing is impossible in life again. Also I think a 3year program may not be as choked as a 1year program, so maybe there will be time to work and still give attention to your studies.

Question for you to ask yourself are:

1. How good are you in the area you are studying. If you have good knowledge then classes and projects won’t take you time to complete. But if it’s a new area or an area you are not so good at, it will be very difficult and possibly depressing.

2. How much is the fees in questions. If the fees are much, then you will have to work more hours. Remember have just 20hrs a week term time and possibly be placed under minimum wage (or even lesss).

3. How good are you in multitasking? Some people are not nice in groups, some will frustrate you with their over-sabi, while some won’t fail to report to the lecture that your contribution is not adequate. Can you keep up with both requirements?

I think there are more questions others will add.

In all, it’s all about your drive and what you want in life. Like I said nothing is impossible anymore on earth. Not even with short vacation trip to other planets by Elon and Jeff.

Thank you soooooo much for this. I haven't thought of this from this angle ☺️.

Would wait to hear from others but in the meantime, i'l brood over this.

Thanks again
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by frank043(m): 2:50pm On Jan 14, 2022
HaneefahRN:
Is there any civil engineer working in the UK on here or anyone in constructions and knows about how civil engineering works in the UK. I will appreciate a response. Thank you.

Is it possible narrowing down and be more specific...? Civil Engineering is VAST.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 3:01pm On Jan 14, 2022
You don't need to worry about cost. All you need is your COS from them - if you pass the interview and it's a job up for sponsorship, they'll process it and you should have it once they've concluded their checks.
TuniLove:
Good Afternoon Everyone!
Happy New Year!

Please does anyone know how much it cost NHS to sponsor someone that has been offered a job and already in the UK?

Thank You.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:08pm On Jan 14, 2022
Newbie123:

Guys please can anyone speak to studying a 3 year course in the UK?

If you have 80-100 percent of the first year fees prior to resumption, what would it be like working to pay off the remaining 2 years?

Thanks

The biggest problem is that legally you can only work 20hours a week term time and 40 hours holiday time....... that 20hours will just about get you rent and living expenses. To gather rent, living expenses then full tuition from 20hours is extremely difficult

If you go ahead and work more than 20hours then it possible to gather more but you will be robbing Peter to pay Paul because later during visa renewal your NI can flag up and it becomes a major problem so choose your battles wisely. Life after been a student is just as important as student days

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 3:12pm On Jan 14, 2022
Newbie123:

Any answer/advice?

Chief, if you're coming with a dependant, yes it's possible.

If you're single, don't try it, unless you want to break the visa rules. You can work to pay your house rent and feeding. If you have a back up in 9ja, you can go ahead.

Speaking from personal experience.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 3:38pm On Jan 14, 2022
Chreze:

Yes, that’s what that clause means. Most company use that, not just in the UK. Even in Nigeria. Especially multi nationals companies.

I think it’s a clause on your working visa self. I saw something like that. You are not allowed to do multiple jobs when on working visa I think.

Not true,
This just pertains to the company. As per government guidelines, you can take up another job if its in the same occupation code and with a max of 20 work hours per week.

If you will be doing more than 20hrs per week in the second job you will need a visa for it

You can read it up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 3:39pm On Jan 14, 2022
AirBay:

Chief, if you're coming with a dependant, yes it's possible.

If you're single, don't try it, unless you want to break the visa rules. You can work to pay your house rent and feeding. If you have a back up in 9ja, you can go ahead.

Speaking from personal experience.

Wow. This is noted too. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 3:40pm On Jan 14, 2022
LagosismyHome:

The biggest problem is that legally you can only work 20hours a week term time and 40 hours holiday time....... that 20hours will just about get you rent and living expenses. To gather rent, living expenses then full tuition from 20hours is extremely difficult

If you go ahead and work more than 20hours then it possible to gather more but you will be robbing Peter to pay Paul because later during visa renewal your NI can flag up and it becomes a major problem so choose your battles wisely. Life after been a student is just as important as student days

True true. Thanks for your input. Duly noted
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:43pm On Jan 14, 2022
Gorgeousqueen:

Hello,
What about getting rid of moulds.

Landlord's responsibility.......

Plus house is unsafe .......

Are you opening windows, to air property.......... Or cold no gree you ........ grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 3:44pm On Jan 14, 2022
Newbie123:

Guys please can anyone speak to studying a 3 year course in the UK?

If you have 80-100 percent of the first year fees prior to resumption, what would it be like working to pay off the remaining 2 years?

Thanks

How much is the school fee per year?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 3:50pm On Jan 14, 2022
justwise:

How much is the school fee per year?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 4:18pm On Jan 14, 2022
Newbie123:

Nothing is impossible but it’s impossible for you to pull that off.

You have only 4months of summer holiday to work full time, to hit your target you to be taking home at least £2800 net monthly for that 4months then when you are back to school you return to 20hrs which may take care of your rent , bills and feeding.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 4:18pm On Jan 14, 2022
mizGene:

Thanks for giving more clarity. But like Chreze said, won't they get to know from the tax angle? You know how your tax is different if you have a second job ( or is it only the second job employer that would know?)

Also I want to ask, for those on skilled worker visa, is there any implication for changing jobs midway? (to another employer who is happy to sponsor)

If you change job mid-way, the new employer has to sponsor you and your 5 year route to ILR starts afresh. That's the temptation I will avoid no matter the pay involved.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2022
justwise:

You have only 4months of summer holiday to work full time, to hit your target you to be taking home at least £2800 net monthly for that 4months then when you are back to school you return to 20hrs which may take care of your rent , bills and feeding.

Thanks Justwise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2022
Viruses:

If you change job mid-way, the new employer has to sponsor you and your 5 year route to ILR starts afresh. That's the temptation I will avoid no matter the pay involved.

shocked shocked
It must feel like a trap! If your employer is a bad one, it will really feel horrible to keep staying because you can't help it.....damn!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thehilah4jesus: 4:34pm On Jan 14, 2022

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 4:34pm On Jan 14, 2022
Chreze:

Thanks for the better HR explanation on this. My question now is, if the visa rule stylishly states that and your company too stylishly add the clause, stylishly going against them won’t cause the person any wahala?

You know say this UK wey we de now na the only home we know. Nigeria our country is slowly turning to a war zone. So e go better make person know watin him/her de do to avoid stories.

You can save yourself both psychological and mental stress by not violating the rules Instead seeking online assurance that nothing will happen.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 4:59pm On Jan 14, 2022
Viruses:

You can save yourself both psychological and mental stress by not violating the rules Instead seeking online assurance that nothing will happen.

Hahahaha. Not for me, it was just a clarity questions from previous questions. I don’t believe in working multiple jobs. Just one is okay. Money no be everything for me. Plenty people don work work and die as a result of stress. Na another person go con enjoy the money.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 5:00pm On Jan 14, 2022
Viruses:

Wow, i never knew this ooo. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 14, 2022
Chreze:

Hahahaha. Not for me, it was just a clarity questions from previous questions. I don’t believe in working multiple jobs. Just one is okay. Money no be everything for me. Plenty people don work work and die as a result of stress. Na another person go con enjoy the money.

And I was thinking add one more job. Thank God una don clear me Viruses
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 5:04pm On Jan 14, 2022
Good evening Ancestors on this street. I need your guidance here. We just relocated to Coventry from Naija and in the process of finding school for the kids. We wrote to the council and they scheduled a zoom meeting with us where they interviewed us alongside the kids. (6 and cool they told us that the nearest school of our choice has vacancy for the 6 year old in grade 2 while they do not have vacancy for the other kid who should be in grade 4. They said the option we have is to accept the nearest school for the grade 2 and the other farther school for the other one while we apeal to the council to see if they can reconsider and place both in same school

That is one. The next is that if they eventually place them and we want them fed, we would have to pay to the school for feeding. That one confuse me. I thought public schools in UK feed their pupils. Abi Coventry own dey different. How do I handle this feeding own.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TuniLove: 5:06pm On Jan 14, 2022
Thanks a million!

mimilyrics:
You don't need to worry about cost. All you need is your COS from them - if you pass the interview and it's a job up for sponsorship, they'll process it and you should have it once they've concluded their checks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 5:08pm On Jan 14, 2022
This is not correct. Changing jobs midway does not reset your ILR clock

Viruses:

16 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 5:08pm On Jan 14, 2022
Aprokodaughter:

And I was thinking add one more job. Thank God una don clear me Viruses

Lol. You don perfect everything for your present job wey you won add another one? grin
Abeg ooo. Work small small. Nothing like enjoying the small one wey you get.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 5:10pm On Jan 14, 2022
ILR clock only resets when you switch visa categories and not jobs, so in this case the ILR clock will continue as normal.

Viruses:

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 5:10pm On Jan 14, 2022
justwise:

Bros abeg get small filter. This your honesty de Stab for heart sometimes. grin

We can join money change your filter.

E just be like say we de play mortal Kombat and you just use your fatality… grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 5:13pm On Jan 14, 2022
Your year 2 kid will get free meal but you will have to pay for the one in year 4. Meals are only free for Early years and Key Stage 1(KS1) students.

If you don't want to pay, you can give your kid a packed lunch (mostly sandwich, fruit, juice, cupcake, yoghurt and crisp).

Can't advise whether you should appeal or not. It is however always better and more convenient yo have both kids in the same school.

mex551:
Good evening Ancestors on this street. I need your guidance here. We just relocated to Coventry from Naija and in the process of finding school for the kids. We wrote to the council and they scheduled a zoom meeting with us where they interviewed us alongside the kids. (6 and cool they told us that the nearest school of our choice has vacancy for the 6 year old in grade 2 while they do not have vacancy for the other kid who should be in grade 4. They said the option we have is to accept the nearest school for the grade 2 and the other farther school for the other one while we apeal to the council to see if they can reconsider and place both in same school

That is one. The next is that if they eventually place them and we want them fed, we would have to pay to the school for feeding. That one confuse me. I thought public schools in UK feed their pupils. Abi Coventry own dey different. How do I handle this feeding own.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 14, 2022
Chreze:

Lol. You don perfect everything for your present job wey you won add another one? grin
Abeg ooo. Work small small. Nothing like enjoying the small one wey you get.

Hehe...I actually wanted to do something during the weekends sha. Because weekends can be boring for me. No work na to Siddon look lmao cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 5:16pm On Jan 14, 2022
You can change jobs, provided you get another employer to sponsor you, this has no effect on your ILR clock.

mizGene:

shocked shocked
It must feel like a trap! If your employer is a bad one, it will really feel horrible to keep staying because you can't help it.....damn!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 5:22pm On Jan 14, 2022
Aprokodaughter:

Hehe...I actually wanted to do something during the weekends sha. Because weekends can be boring for me. No work na to Siddon look lmao cheesy

Use it to volunteer in your community. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by degelinglacis: 5:43pm On Jan 14, 2022
Hi guys, I just got a job offer in Uckfield. When I googled I found out it is in East Sussex. Is this place an expensive place to live? This is urgent please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 5:47pm On Jan 14, 2022
dupyshoo:
Your year 2 kid will get free meal but you will have to pay for the one in year 4. Meals are only free for Early years and Key Stage 1(KS1) students.

If you don't want to pay, you can give your kid a packed lunch (mostly sandwich, fruit, juice, cupcake, yoghurt and crisp).

Can't advise whether you should appeal or not. It is however always better and more convenient yo have both kids in the same school.

thanks for the clarification

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: longjohnsilver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.