Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,256 members, 7,822,307 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (190) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1183920 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:15am On Jan 15, 2022
HopeLoveLife:

And what makes you feel I don’t have it? Na wa for you ooo!!! This Naija mentality no be small.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HopeLoveLife: 1:15am On Jan 15, 2022
LagosismyHome:

To be honest, there hardly any free accommodation in the UK for one night not to talk of one month.....even cheap self its usually hard to find.

So prepare your mind so you can plan accordingly
Alright, thank you jawe. I just needed to know this so I don’t miss out on good opportunities. We go hustle am by God’s Grace.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Olinga(f): 1:16am On Jan 15, 2022
mizGene:

He appears not to have money for his FIRST month rent and you are encouraging him?
Hustling is fine, but it must be done with sense.

I am not encouraging her in any way, I never responded as a matter of fact.

I only reacted when he was interrogating her in that manner. Give your advise, stop bullying people. We are adults here and will still make take our actions regardless

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Olinga(f): 1:17am On Jan 15, 2022
hustla:

Bullies

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HopeLoveLife: 1:19am On Jan 15, 2022
Olinga:
Hehehe please my dear do what you have to do to move to the next level. Those that are asking these questions ask them if they came with trailer of money during their time.

People are coming here hustling it out without having all the money(why are we deceiving ourselves).

Even them talking their families are using the same method but you will come here and be forming KNOW ALL.

I used the same method I'm in my house come and ask me questions smiley

At the end of the day you are not my GOD period#.

Exactly! I know how these things work, considering how difficult it is to earn a good money legally in Nigeria, Such financial challenges ain’t rare and people are just fed up with the way things are going in this country, reason they want to move fast! I understand this situation so well and not judgmental about it at all.

Las las we go all dey alright by God’s Grace.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:20am On Jan 15, 2022
The Truth Will Set You Free, But First It Will Piss You Off

smiley

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HopeLoveLife: 1:20am On Jan 15, 2022
mizGene:

This energy you are displaying.......you never ready sa.
Ready for what o? Mrs Justwise.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:25am On Jan 15, 2022
HopeLoveLife:

Exactly! I know how these things work, considering how difficult it is to earn a good money legally in Nigeria, Such financial challenges ain’t rare and people are just fed up with the way things are going in this country, reason they want to move fast! I understand this situation so well and not judgmental about it at all.

Las las we go all dey alright by God’s Grace.

You seem like a fairly reasonable person so Ill write a last one

Look at it from JustWise's POV; London especially is not known to be easy. I have two friends in London and it has not been easy for them considering the bills involved ( they are both married )

No one hates or wants something negative for you .. I could walk past you tmr and I wont even know its you so what do I have to gain from bringing you down or whatever

If you were sure of the path you wanted to take and the ease of taking that path, you wont be asking those questions

Plan well, listen to advice and fine tune those plans so it will be soft for you

That one urging you on wont be there when home office starts to reason your matter or when your grades plummet. Na who like person dey advice am o, forget all this many many English

E go be

18 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Olinga(f): 1:30am On Jan 15, 2022
hustla:

Look at it from JustWise's POV; London especially is not known to be easy. I have two friends in London and it has not been easy for them considering the bills involved ( they are both married )

No one hates or wants something negative for you .. I could walk past you tmr and I wont even know its you so what do I have to gain from bringing you down or whatever

If you were sure of the path you wanted to take and the ease of taking that path, you wont be asking those questions

Plan well, listen to advice and fine tune those plans so it will be soft for you

That one urging you on wont be there when home office starts to reason your matter or when your grades plummet. Na who like person dey advice am o, forget all this many many English

E go be

This is a better advise, you attempted bullying initially.

Peace out

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mellady(f): 1:32am On Jan 15, 2022
HopeLoveLife:

Ready for what o? Mrs Justwise.
Lmao@ grin grin Mrs justwise grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HopeLoveLife: 1:40am On Jan 15, 2022
hustla:

E go be

You don’t get my point still.

The justwise guy wasn’t even trying to help, he was just asking that question in a mockery way, it was just too glaring. He was so certain I don’t have POF hence those questions.

There are ways one could respond to a post without trying to look down on the person or mocking the person indirectly. I haven’t been on this thread for months but the last time I was here, I saw how he rudely he responded to a post by feeling like a god and totally looked down on the lady. I actually prayed for that lady that day, and honestly I totally forgot this event until I saw what he was up to in his questions and remembered he is that same guy.

There are ways to handle questions like that, not feeling like one superior and a god.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:41am On Jan 15, 2022
HopeLoveLife:

The justwise guy wasn’t even trying to help, he was just asking that question in a mockery way, it was just too glaring. He was so certain I don’t have POF hence those questions.

There are ways one could respond to a post without trying to look down on the person or mocking the person indirectly. I haven’t been on this thread for months but the last time I was here, I saw how he rudely he responded to a post by feeling like a god and totally looked down on the lady. I actually prayed for that lady that day, and honestly I totally forgot this event until I saw what he was up to in his questions and remembered he is that same guy.

There are ways to handle questions like that, not feeling like one superior and a god.

OK

lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 1:43am On Jan 15, 2022
Make I just lock up since the matter don die
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:43am On Jan 15, 2022
I saw a post on Facebook.... an indian (not that the nationality matters) came here with student visa T4, he immediately hussled and got a care job and switched to T2 visa. I thought I seen it here that its not possible and you had to complete the school

But No, his T2 was approved this week. I didn't know that was possible so hey students shine your eyes ooo. This guy got his visa so he has switched from T4 to T2 without completing the degree

Justwise I don't intend to break any rules ooo but information is power hence why I am posting this

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 2:31am On Jan 15, 2022
LagosismyHome:
I saw a post on Facebook.... an indian (not that the nationality matters) came here with student visa T4, he immediately hussled and got a care job and switched to T2 visa. I thought I seen it here that its not possible and you had to complete the school

But No, his T2 was approved this week. I didn't know that was possible so hey students shine your eyes ooo. This guy got his visa so he has switched from T4 to T2 without completing the degree

Justwise I don't intend to break any rules ooo but information is power hence why I am posting this

Sis are you sure it’s true? He didn’t finish his degree? You know this country does not play with their money. I find it unlikely but who knows.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lindakam: 2:31am On Jan 15, 2022
I would be sincere with you. Getting an accomodation here in the UK is not easy more less a free one. If you are single you can try shared accomodation. They come at the range of 75-120 per week.

If you have a friend or family you could consider the option of staying with them.

Or you can look at an Airbnb which is not cheap in any way.

HopeLoveLife:
Any site for free accommodation ? Even if it is just for 1 month Biko, this situation is getting me pretty sad.
Or are there places one could get loan here in Nigeria before departure ? Please help me,e I am totally confused on what to do.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HopeLoveLife: 2:41am On Jan 15, 2022
Lindakam:
I would be sincere with you. Getting an accomodation here in the UK is not easy more less a free one. If you are single you can try shared accomodation. They come at the range of 75-120 per week.

If you have a friend or family you could consider the option of staying with them.

Or you can look at an Airbnb which is not cheap in any way.

Thank you.

I actually heard it isn’t easy to get an accommodation from Nigeria, how true is this? Do you need to be there first and must you pay 6 months upfront ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by doveangel: 3:06am On Jan 15, 2022
I am a registered nurse here in Nigeria. Please I would like to start working in the UK on a Health Care Skilled Worker visa. I just need an agency that would hire me and give me a certificate of sponsorship which I need to process the visa. Please any suggestions of agencies that would do this? It has to be for senior care as the visa specifies.
Please and thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maturedhustler: 3:22am On Jan 15, 2022
Ralphlauren:

Ma'am, the kids won't qualify for free tuition based on just 3 years residency alone oh but they might be eligible for student loan which HMRC will get back from them as soon as they start earning above a particular threshold. embarassed

They must have attained settled status to be eligible for free tuiton. Please refer to the link and screenshot I posted above which is directly from the student awards agency Scotland - the body tasked with processing applications and paying out the fees to the universities on behalf of the Scottish government.

I have a family friend with a Nigerian born son which she brought along with her as a child (i can't remember the age he relocated but he couldn't have been older than 10) and she overstayed her visa. She eventually regularised his status and was able to secure ILR for her son in his final term in high school. The University had expressly told her he would have to pay fees due to his status at the time. The child in question attended both primary and secondary school in Scotland. I know her stoty because she told everyone that cared to listen about the testimony cheesy

I thanked Ralphlauren, Mamatukwas, Chreze, Justwise and Dupyshoo for taking time out to respond to my question here. I have been away sorting out COVID-19 matter and looking for accommodation. No be come chop o kiss cry cry cry

I am grateful. The response opened my eyes more and look ahead to prepare for what future holds.

If not that I earlier got a hint that it may not be possible for my older kids not to pay resident fees in university (although at a later stage of my student route), I wouldn’t have imagined the reality shock l would have experienced after all these struggles.

@Ralphlauren, I guess the case you cited, the boy completed the primary and secondary schools under no legal stay. The stay was perfected a year to finishing high school. Is that not the reason he was denied paying resident fee despite spending many years in UK?

My thought before now is if you’re legally resident (as a student/worker), you are a resident who can also benefit from what govt provides even if you have not achieve your ILR.

If ILR is required for this residency, then I need help/advise for best options I can progress with from here after getting below clarifications:

1. Can ILR be achieved with spending more time outside UK in a year? Considering the UK UNI cost, I am considering (difficult decision) returning my 2 older kids (15 & 16) to Nigeria to stay with their father (but visiting UK on holidays), complete secondary school in Nigeria and seek admission in Canada/US/Nigeria to save cost.
I just read also student must be 17/18 before starting UNI in Scotland/England. A-level studies /college for 2 yrs is required too.

2. If 1 above can’t work, If both stay back to start UNI in UK, I want to know if residency can be reviewed/changed after achieving the ILR.

3. If I secure work before or immediately after completing my master program, can I switch my visa route and move from 10yrs ILR as student to 5yrs as worker.

Looking forward to your informative response and candid advice. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maturedhustler: 4:06am On Jan 15, 2022
HopeLoveLife:

Thank you.

I actually heard it isn’t easy to get an accommodation from Nigeria, how true is this? Do you need to be there first and must you pay 6 months upfront ?

It’s not an understatement that getting an accommodation in UK is not for faint hearted.

As suggested, try spare room, shared accommodation, student residence if you are without dependent or else try Open rent, Zoopla and others.

If you have trusted friends/family members who can check available properties, it’s better you get it done before moving into UK.

It’s not compulsory to pay 6 months in advance but gradually becoming the norm to guarantee the landlord that you will take the house for long term and your ability to pay.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 5:04am On Jan 15, 2022
HopeLoveLife:

Not easy I understand you.

You will be ok at the end of your journey to the UK.

Please just ensure you tighten all loopholes in your plans...lagosismyhome, justwise, guyfromHR,Lexusgs430, fatima etc comments for other immigrants helped me tighten my plans and am grateful to them here. No need to be offended, learn and move on...

Are you coming alone or with your family? Things will be easier if you alone accommodation wise...get airbnb or student accommodation sorted out before arrival to have a smooth settling down here.

All the very best in your hussles.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 5:15am On Jan 15, 2022
mex551:
Good evening Ancestors on this street. I need your guidance here. We just relocated to Coventry from Naija and in the process of finding school for the kids. We wrote to the council and they scheduled a zoom meeting with us where they interviewed us alongside the kids. (6 and cool they told us that the nearest school of our choice has vacancy for the 6 year old in grade 2 while they do not have vacancy for the other kid who should be in grade 4. They said the option we have is to accept the nearest school for the grade 2 and the other farther school for the other one while we apeal to the council to see if they can reconsider and place both in same school

That is one. The next is that if they eventually place them and we want them fed, we would have to pay to the school for feeding. That one confuse me. I thought public schools in UK feed their pupils. Abi Coventry own dey different. How do I handle this feeding own.

The council will sort children out once space is available. I am lucky my 3 children are in same school as its easier for school runs.

My year 3 goes to school with food pack from home while the ones in year 2 and 1 get free meal in school.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 5:20am On Jan 15, 2022
HopeLoveLife:

Thank you.

Not easy yes but it can be done
We got a two bedroom apartment before we left Nigeria. Got it on a Facebook page for the students of the university I'm attending. Only paid deposit and one month's rent and entered straight from airport. I guess we were very fortunate

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 5:22am On Jan 15, 2022
I feel a bit of guilt for asking justwise to be a little gentle or “filtered” in his advice or response. I de reason say maybe e open room for some later conversations. But hey, he should be use to any kind of words by now. I would feel same way most people feel “that he is a bully” if I have not traveled before UK or something. But with my knowledge traveling, abroad can be somehow if it doesn’t go as planned.

That it worked for Mr A in a certain way doesn’t mean it will work for Mr B. The question becomes, if it doesn’t work for Mr B, what becomes of him in a strange land? The next thing we hold on to is favor (which God in his mercies always grant us that). But sometimes God takes his time too and we feel frustrated at that moment.

I have seen black people beg abroad. If you go to INA market in India (Delhi), you will see Nigerians begging in the market for you to buy them chicken or wheat for swallow. In Lille (France) I gave a black guy (not Nigerian) €10 when he approached me at a mall and I felt like I should give him more since I gave the white begger outside €2 coins (anytime my wife remember this story she gets angry at me cos we didn’t buy something we like because of small fraction difference) . We don’t want to be a begger abroad, especially when we are not beggers backs home, but if you no get watin to eat, watin you go do?

Yes I said it before and will say it again, Justwise advice are unfiltered/undiluted. They pierce like a sword to the heart. It’s like playing mortal kombat with someone and immediately game start the person use fatality kill you. But that’s what truth does. Truth is not always nice, it’s sharp. If you say he’s a bully, guess what, bullies give the best advice because while they are trying to bully you, they make you stronger.

I will get advice from anyone (especially if they know what they are saying). Anyone. This abroad waka na matured waka and if you no fit take simple undiluted advice from person wey no know you personally, watin you go con do when this crazy oyibo people shoot you with their words for face (because justwise de learn for where their matter de). You don’t always have to feel violated when people say things to you. Especially when you asked for advice. Everything no be insult, some things better to just tell them as e b. As a family, we got lots of favors in this UK, but I no fit talk them, cos if I talk am person wey de come UK go think say oyibo people nice well well.

My brother my sister, remember say parents wey de hash na cos the suffer wey them suffer, them no want make them pikin suffer am. This UK blacks de hardly greet each other, shey person wey no give friendly face you go fit ask am for favour?

My point: abroad waka na matured waka and for matured waka, no friendly talk, cos if e go wrong, even you self go wish say person tell you the TRUTH (yes the truth, cos that time you go realize say this undiluted words na the truth). Make we no de always think say the person wey de advice us no want make we make am as him make am. E no de always be so.

Las las God go guide us all.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 5:38am On Jan 15, 2022
Maturedhustler:

I thanked Ralphlauren, Mamatukwas, Chreze, Justwise and Dupyshoo for taking time out to respond to my question here. I have been away sorting out COVID-19 matter and looking for accommodation. No be come chop o kiss cry cry cry

I am grateful. The response opened my eyes more and look ahead to prepare for what future holds.

If not that I earlier got a hint that it may not be possible for my older kids not to pay resident fees in university (although at a later stage of my student route), I wouldn’t have imagined the reality shock l would have experienced after all these struggles.

@Ralphlauren, I guess the case you cited, the boy completed the primary and secondary schools under no legal stay. The stay was perfected a year to finishing high school. Is that not the reason he was denied paying resident fee despite spending many years in UK?

My thought before now is if you’re legally resident (as a student/worker), you are a resident who can also benefit from what govt provides even if you have not achieve your ILR.

If ILR is required for this residency, then I need help/advise for best options I can progress with from here after getting below clarifications:

1. Can ILR be achieved with spending more time outside UK in a year? Considering the UK UNI cost, I am considering (difficult decision) returning my 2 older kids (15 & 16) to Nigeria to stay with their father (but visiting UK on holidays), complete secondary school in Nigeria and seek admission in Canada/US/Nigeria to save cost.
I just read also student must be 17/18 before starting UNI in Scotland/England. A-level studies /college for 2 yrs is required too.

2. If 1 above can’t work, If both stay back to start UNI in UK, I want to know if residency can be reviewed/changed after achieving the ILR.

3. If I secure work before or immediately after completing my master program, can I switch my visa route and move from 10yrs ILR as student to 5yrs as worker.

Looking forward to your informative response and candid advice. Thanks

@ no 3, YES.

@ no 1, I feel very bad there is a “returning to Naija” consideration. At those ages, I can’t imagine leaving Naija to a place like Scotland and there is an option on the table for me to go back to Nigeria. Please if there are other options, you can consider them. To get visa and reach here already no b small thing, I think the remaining can be “Hustled” if there is a way. I can’t imagine seeing oyibo land finish then go back to Nigeria to continue schooling (especially when you don tell me before say I go school here). Even Christmas cloth wey them buy for me and tell me say I no go wear am on Christmas Day but Boxing Day outing, I de vex, how much more abroad.

Abeg mummy try look for a way. Oga’s and Madam’s here with the knowledge make una no let our children go back. Abeg provide advice for us to stay. #KeepOurChildrenInGlasgow.

God go give you and your husband the strength.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 6:29am On Jan 15, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Please can you post the full gist?
Thank you for sharing

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Healhtyliving: 6:31am On Jan 15, 2022
[quote author=Maturedhustler post=109378892]

@question 1 I was shedding tears reading it. Mummy biko do whatever you can make our 15&16 no return abeg. Although I don't know how. Hopefully you will get the best advice here. #KeepOurChildrenInGlasgow
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gorgeousqueen: 6:32am On Jan 15, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Landlord's responsibility.......

Plus house is unsafe .......

Are you opening windows, to air property.......... Or cold no gree you ........ grin

We were not doing that at first but we now open the windows at least 10 mins everyday
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 7:14am On Jan 15, 2022
Good morning beautiful family. I am happy to be here, I am new in the UK . Thanks for all the advice and the comments, u guys rock.

Pls I am using lyca, the WiFi in the house I am staying is not very strong, I want to subscribe for data that I can also use to connect to my laptop for one hour interview, I want to confirm what data will be enough for me on lyca. And also is lyca network strong . Kindly advise. Many thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 7:41am On Jan 15, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Sis are you sure it’s true? He didn’t finish his degree? You know this country does not play with their money. I find it unlikely but who knows.

Yeap that how he wrote it and interesting enough I google and searched and cannot see anywhere that says you MUST FINISH THE DEGREE FIRST.. It looks like that our "interpretation ". All it says it 3 months to expiry you can apply within the country. The home office documents just says you must have a job offer, COS and the other requirements

If no job with a Cos then stay put. You can't switch and need to finish to be legal and move on to PSW

if anybody can share home office documents which says you must finish . I would appreciate it
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by thiagoteres(m): 7:52am On Jan 15, 2022
nairalandolodo3:
Hello house. Please where and how and who can I apply to as a registered nurse for the NHS? I've applied and applied to trac with no positive feedback. Please help me out. Any town/city at all I'm okay but preferably Manchester or Southampton.

Also is it advisable to send out emails to hospitals or to trusts?
The NHS jobs website and trac jobs should be fine.
You can also look up the websites of the hospitals in your cities of interest.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 8:00am On Jan 15, 2022
Gorgeousqueen:

We were not doing that at first but we now open the windows at least 10 mins everyday

Very important to prevent mould..... windows need to be opened .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.