Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,484 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (290) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1180327 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:21pm On Feb 28, 2022
dustydee:
Are you guys observing the double standard in this Russia v Ukraine saga?
Not home office is saying Ukraninans with families here can come but the same home office denied Syrians and Afghans refuge saying they should claim assylum in thier first safe country of arrival. Then FIFA and UEFA has suspended Russia yet when The UK, France and US invaded Iraq, Libya and Syria, they were not suspended. Also the media organisations here are often fond of accusing the Russian media of bias but are yet to analyse the situation from a Russian perspective or from a Black man's perspective. So much hypocrysy. I pray that peace will reign and both parties will resolve their issues. Putin took a wrong step and the west also.

I don't think that is entirely true, the UK took a lot of Syrians and Afghans refuges
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 10:30pm On Feb 28, 2022
justwise:

I don't think that is entirely true, the UK took a lot of Syrians and Afghans refuges

I agree. Also is Ukraine not in Europe even if they are not part of the Union as of yet. Hardly in the same position as Afghanistan and Syria.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 10:52pm On Feb 28, 2022
dustydee:
Not home office is saying Ukraninans with families here can come but the same home office denied Syrians and Afghans refuge saying they should claim assylum in thier first safe country of arrival. Then FIFA and UEFA has suspended Russia yet when The UK, France and US invaded Iraq, Libya and Syria, they were not suspended. Also the media organisations here are often fond of accusing the Russian media of bias but are yet to analyse the situation from a Russian perspective or from a Black man's perspective. So much hypocrysy. I pray that peace will reign and both parties will resolve their issues. Putin took a wrong step and the west also.

Same double standard with Israel and Palestine. Everyone supports what's convenient and beneficial to them

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:52pm On Feb 28, 2022
Peerielass:

I agree. Also is Ukraine not in Europe even if they are not part of the Union as of yet. Hardly in the same position as Afghanistan and Syria.

The Uk spends £1.2m per day on refuges, Syrians and Afghanistans are among them
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 10:53pm On Feb 28, 2022
Preshyi:
E don set o, 6 months into paying rent in this obodo oyibo and they are already increasing it. Asking if we are happy to go ahead on top the matter. Happy ko. We don come be say we don come shaa. Abi is there a way to contest the increment?

Next time sign a long tenancy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 11:33pm On Feb 28, 2022
dustydee:

Nobody ever spent time to justify analysing World War 2 from Hitler's perspective, because its beyond the pale.
And yes, many publications have spoken about what could possibly be Putin's motive, but it's very clear that he is the aggressor here, not Ukraine and Ukraine's joining NATO, had that ever happened (very unlikely), would be a defensive, not offensive move.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 11:35pm On Feb 28, 2022
Peerielass:

More to the point they are oyibo Christians and the UK population would prefer immigrants (many of them will never go back) who are more like than unlike them. This is reality.

As Trump blabbed in a non-Freudian slip, the US would happily take the whole of Norway overnight if they decided to emigrate to the U.S., black and brown wait at the door first.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 11:35pm On Feb 28, 2022
umarwy:

Next time sign a long tenancy

You can only take what you're offered.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 11:46pm On Feb 28, 2022
BorisJohnson:

Do you know what the Russian media outlets accuse media organisations here of?
if you want Western world perspective, watch western media - CNN, BBC, FOX, CBS etc.
If you want Russian perspective, watch RT
If you want Nigerian perspective, watch NTA
Exactly o.
If you want individual perspective go to social media or any newspaper stand grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:59pm On Feb 28, 2022
BorisJohnson:

Don't get it twisted.
Black man's perspective is NOT, and will NEVER be Russia's perspective. Putting the two side-by-side does injustice to the Blackman's perspective.
I have not been watching the news often lately but I am yet to see the plight of our brothers stuck at the border being highlighted.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 12:01am On Mar 01, 2022
justwise:

The have but Priti said they don't need to come here but to remain in the first safe country they arrive at even though some of them were headed here because they have relatives here.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 12:04am On Mar 01, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Nobody ever spent time to justify analysing World War 2 from Hitler's perspective, because its beyond the pale.
And yes, many publications have spoken about what could possibly be Putin's motive, but it's very clear that[b] he is the aggressor here,[/b] not Ukraine and Ukraine's joining NATO, had that ever happened (very unlikely), would be a defensive, not offensive move.
He may be the aggressor but has the west not done worse? Of course we all should speak out against injustice but not be selective. The west has caused a lot of harm too but not held accountable.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SamReinvented: 12:05am On Mar 01, 2022
tushqueen:

Okay, may be I should reframe my question. Is it legal for those without tv license to benefit from the enumerated means of entertainment?

Lol. Before we even move to TV license, IPTV (in this context) itself no dey legal cheesy cheesy cheesy. So boya, you can just complete the illegality jale jale or no do at all.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 12:09am On Mar 01, 2022
Most of them say they want to come here because of the benefit system not because of family memebrs. They pay thousands of Euros, risk their lives in dinghy while already in France. It does not make sense!!
dustydee:

The have but Priti said they don't need to come here but to remain in the first safe country they arrive at even though some of them were headed here because they have relatives here.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bujebudanu1(m): 12:13am On Mar 01, 2022
Any body with pounds, I need 80£
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 1:16am On Mar 01, 2022
STENON:
Goodafternoon to everyone.
I have a £269 voucher from British airways for cancelled flight and I am happy to sell for £250 as I desperately need the money.
Please pm me for more details.
Thank you x
Please this is still available.
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DAramis: 2:13am On Mar 01, 2022
omopapa:
You can’t plug to laptop what I meant by taking it with me is that I can plug to TVs anywhere I go

Okay, clarified.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 3:54am On Mar 01, 2022
The only thing I think is wrong with Russia/Putin is trying to control Ukraine. Other than that, Ukrainian are better of with their neighbor Russia. What Putin is doing is what the American government would do if they feel they will have what they consider “the enemy closer” by their neighbor joining any union.

I am very proud of the Ukrainians fighting to be free even when they have been neglected by the people that promised them heaven and earth. They know they can’t beat the Russians, but they believe they can protect themself. And the world “patriotic”, should be replaced in the dictionary with “Ukrainians”.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 4:01am On Mar 01, 2022
@lagosismyhome, Stenon, tushqueen, Fatima and all other women on this forum, what is wrong with women complementing a man.

Every time I go out with my son, these Scottish women and grand mothers will say, he is fine and has cute eyebrows. Some will even say he has beautiful eyeballs. Non has ever said, he looks so much like you.

The one that got me this mood now is the GP at A&E a night ago telling him that he has a very cute Eyebrows and that he must have gotten it from his mother. Haba na. Madam swear you can’t see the cute eyebrow on my face.

Why na. I thot women now say everything and that oyibo women compliment men too. Why the double standard na.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:52am On Mar 01, 2022
Chreze:
@lagosismyhome, Stenon, tushqueen, Fatima and all other women on this forum, what is wrong with women complementing a man.

Every time I go out with my son, these Scottish women and grand mothers will say, he is fine and has cute eyebrows. Some will even say he has beautiful eyeballs. Non has ever said, he looks so much like you.

The one that got me this mood now is the GP at A&E a night ago telling him that he has a very cute Eyebrows and that he must have gotten it from his mother. Haba na. Madam swear you can’t see the cute eyebrow on my face.

Why na. I thot women now say everything and that oyibo women compliment men too. Why the double standard na.

smiley cheesy grin

We are in "me too movement era " so everyone gat to be careful. Before a little compliment either to a man or woman is taken the wrong way by the giver or the receiver

By the way, you tell u say you fine self. . .... tongue

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:43am On Mar 01, 2022
Chreze:

I don dey sense jealous competition.......... cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 6:24am On Mar 01, 2022
Preshyi:
E don set o, 6 months into paying rent in this obodo oyibo and they are already increasing it. Asking if we are happy to go ahead on top the matter. Happy ko. We don come be say we don come shaa. Abi is there a way to contest the increment?

You can refuse but be ready for a section 21 whilst they can still use it. A good way of refusing could be showing comparables (dicey as rents are at record high rates), suggesting that as you've been a good tenant, it'll be good to be rewarded with some predictability for 12 months or so. You can also choose to ignore it and continue paying the old rent

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:57am On Mar 01, 2022
Preshyi:

The exact reason, it makes sense to sign a long term contract.......

And before expiration, you should hopefully have bought your own house ........

Did I hear you say how . ........... wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:11am On Mar 01, 2022
dustydee:

Yes she has to say that else you will have uncontrollable amount of people at the border, smugglers will take advantage.

I think the British media houses have been fair in covering this war and many other wars specially sky news, there is no state-owned media here unlike Russia, no media station here will not be out of business for even questioning the prime minister.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 7:24am On Mar 01, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

You can only take what you're offered.

Also, if you don't ask, you don't get
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:25am On Mar 01, 2022
dustydee:

He may be the aggressor but has the west not done worse? Of course we all should speak out against injustice but not be selective. The west has caused a lot of harm too but not held accountable.

When you say "the west", it's helpful to break it down into its major players, first the US and [the western] Europe[an nations]. The Anzac nations and Canada are bit players.

Most definitely the US and the UK bear the responsibility for the mess that Iraq has become, and that action could not and cannot be justified now. But the Europeans were firmly against it. The continuing hypocrisy in Palestine (that land is definitely theirs, insofar as any people can be said to have a claim to land in this world) is also firmly opposed by the EU, as America taking religion too far.

However, since the Cold War at least, the west is forced to moralize intensively each time it takes military action, irrespective of what the planners of the action really think. And again, western nations are gradually becoming decadent as opposed to China and Russia and all those people who are still very conversant with hardship, so the west has to persuade its people first before it does anything, because they are not as ready to leave their pub drinking and iPhone buying and Lanzarote-holidaying to carry a gun, enter a tank and go and find other people's trouble, which means extensive justification that can at least withstand scrutiny, irrespective of how much of a lie it really is.

Putin, on the other hand, basically woke up in the morning, decided that his ex was having too much fun without him and decided to go and chase her away from the new guy she has been eyeing. No justification, not bothering to tell the world his reasons, nothing.

The two don't compare.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:27am On Mar 01, 2022
deept:

Also, if you don't ask, you don't get

You can ask when you've got equality of arms.
In the UK today, most renters are way, way outgunned by landlords in most cities, and foreign students with families are cannon fodder when it comes to house-hunting. Take it or leave it is the order of the day.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 7:32am On Mar 01, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

You can ask when you've got equality of arms.
In the UK today, most renters are way, way outgunned by landlords in most cities, and foreign students with families are cannon fodder when it comes to house-hunting. Take it or leave it is the order of the day.

If I was a landlord, I'd rather an existing tenant who pays when due and does not give wahala to trying to get how much extra and risk getting someone who might be a horrible tenant.

How many months notice does the Lamesley need to give the tenant if he wants to increase rent?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 7:40am On Mar 01, 2022
Lexusgs430:

I don dey sense jealous competition.......... cheesy

grin. Ko right na. We compliment women, why can’t they compliment us too.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 7:42am On Mar 01, 2022
LagosismyHome:

smiley cheesy grin

We are in "me too movement era " so everyone gat to be careful. Before a little compliment either to a man or woman is taken the wrong way by the giver or the receiver

By the way, you tell u say you fine self. . .... tongue

Ok let’s assume I no fine. But you can’t say “he must have gotten the eyebrow from his mom”, when you can see it on my face. Ko right na.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 7:45am On Mar 01, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

When you say "the west", it's helpful to break it down into its major players, first the US and [the western] Europe[an] nations. The Anzac nations and Canada are bit players.

Most definitely the US and the UK bear the responsibility for the mess that Iraq has become, and that action could not and cannot be justified now. But the Europeans were firmly against it. The continuing hypocrisy in Palestine (that land is definitely theirs, insofar as any people can be said to have a claim to land in this world) is also firmly opposed by the EU, as America taking religion too far.

However, since the Cold War at least, the west is forced to moralize intensively each time it takes military action, irrespective of what the planners of the action really think. And again, western nations are gradually becoming decadent as opposed to China and Russia and all those people who are still very conversant with hardship, so the west has to persuade its people first before it does anything, because they are not as ready to leave their pub drinking and iPhone buying and Lanzarote-holidaying to carry a gun, enter a tank and go and find other people's trouble, which means extensive justification that can at least withstand scrutiny, irrespective of how much of a lie it really is.

Putin, on the other hand, basically woke up in the morning, decided that his ex was having too much fun without him and decided to go and chase her away from the new guy she has been eyeing. No justification, not bothering to tell the world his reasons, nothing.

The two don't compare.

The laws doesn't apply to friends and family..

UN were against bush invasion of Iraq, what did they do? Where are the sanctions?

Bush swore Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, that he is a threat to the whole world. They invaded and destroyed a country with no justified.

Whenever brown people take up arms in defence, they are labelled as terrorists. But the Ukrainians are hero's.

Last last, What do I know, all we can do is observe. As for the past few decades there have always been multiple Active wars/conflict around the world.

I don't see anything special about the Russian invasion
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 7:54am On Mar 01, 2022
Ok

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: SerendipityHere and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.