Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (293) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1178486 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 12:43am On Mar 02, 2022
Chreze:
Pls my people, if you get any mail from your child’s nursery that someone from his classroom contacted covid. Please withdraw your child for some time. Contrary to NHS guide that the child can still go to school if he/she is not showing any signs or symptoms. As I type this, everyone is my house (self, wife and our 2 n half year old son) has covid.

It all started 3 weekends ago when he was running temperature and we took him to the GP. The Dr examined him and said it was an infection. He then prescribe an antibiotic for 5days. After 4days of taking the antibiotics, we got a call from his nursery that he’s having some signs of reaction on his body. I took him to the pharmacy and he said it was nothing serious but we should stop the antibiotics. He also gave him an oral solution to relief the reaction. Before taking the oral solution we discovered that the reaction had disappeared, but we still gave him for 1 full day. We went back to the doctor and he said we should stop the antibiotics and call the clinic if any new development. All these while, we have been having covid test regularly just to be sure that’s not the situation. Two weeks ago we got a mail that someone from his classroom had tested positive and they attached NHS covid guidance for nursery kids. While we were still going from high temperature to normal temperature and cough, we got another mail from the school a week ago that two other people had tested positive. That was when it got done on me that covid was an option for his situation. All these while we were testing ourself and it came out negative.

To cut the long story short. Yesterday I took him to a testing center and after the test, on our way back home, I started feeling very funny. Got home took paracetamol. Woke up and was not feeling good still, so I took the covid test again early this morning and it turned out positive. My wife did same and also got a positive result. Then we became anxious to know his own test result, though he wasn’t running temperature again, but was still having this little cough and catarrh. Well, hours later after reporting our case to NHS and asking them to follow up with our sons result, we got an sms that he is positive.

To be honest we don’t know where the covid came from as 3 of my wife’s colleagues had to isolate in December and another last month. But we are suspecting the school as the school had to close the room for some time due to growing cases. My advice is not to risk it. If someone test positive in your child’s class, it’s possible to spread from the careers if not from the kids. I don’t know. But that’s our present situation and I am sharing for others to learn from it.

Wishing you all a speedy recovery

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 1:48am On Mar 02, 2022
Has anyone ever had trouble with paying for passport renewal?

I am having issues with making payment for passport renewal via the website.
I applied to register my card but it was refused because I erroneously didn't add a picture of my card.

I have been trying to register again with all three documents but it keeps failing and asking me to enter the correct billing address which I have done multiple times.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davyx: 3:04am On Mar 02, 2022
Kudos to the gurus in the house. I really appreciate everyone’s contributions to the success of this thread. Though, am in the UK at the moment undergoing my masters, my dependents did their biometric on the 24th February, 2022 and got a successful feedback on the 02 March, 2022. Though, from the letter attached via mail by UKVI, decision was made 26th February, 2022. Decision was quite fast to my surprise.

To all intending applicants kindly make use of Abuja TLS, they are quite fast.

Success to everyone.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gentle21: 7:24am On Mar 02, 2022
Good morning, please, I'm already in the UK and needs to transfer money from Nigerian bank to an account in the UK. Please, do anyone knows the means to achieve this. I have Domiciliary Visa Card with GTB but I'm paying into someone account in the UK. Please, help.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Prosperity4All: 7:33am On Mar 02, 2022
Gentle21:
Good morning, please, I'm already in the UK and needs to transfer money from Nigerian bank to an account in the UK. Please, do anyone knows the means to achieve this. I have Domiciliary Visa Card with GTB but I'm paying into someone account in the UK. Please, help.
If you have a cheque book, you can issue cheque or try the Card on the ATM and see if you can initiate a transfer.
If that fails, you may just have to withdraw cash with your Card and walk into receivers bank to deposit cash

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 7:37am On Mar 02, 2022
Gentle21:

use international money transfer (least favorable choice) or Trade by Barter (tested and trusted haha)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 8:18am On Mar 02, 2022
whitley:
Hello everyone, please can anyone help with cheap nurseries as my income and what I am seeing online for my 18months old son isnt adding up. How are people meeting up? Please I need suggestions. Thanks

It is what it is but it will pass soon. Now you will understand why oyibo no dey born too much pickin unless of course they are on benefits.

Do you have a partner? If yes, one of you has to stay home and look after your son or you can both work alternate shifts so there’s always someone at home. If you are by yourself, then you just have to pay the nursery fees and get on with it. You could also try bringing a relative from Nigeria but that itself is fraught with problems.

Whatever you do, please do not leave your young son by himself. I know some Africans do this but it is very dangerous and could land you in big trouble with the police and social services.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Endlessgrace: 9:07am On Mar 02, 2022
canadaishome:
Has anyone ever had trouble with paying for passport renewal?

I am having issues with making payment for passport renewal via the website.
I applied to register my card but it was refused because I erroneously didn't add a picture of my card.

I have been trying to register again with all three documents but it keeps failing and asking me to
enter the correct billing address which I have done multiple times.

Send a mail to support@innovate1services.com, they should be able to sort it out.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gloriouscrown: 9:49am On Mar 02, 2022
Hello everyone,

Please is there any way I can fast track NI number?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harwe: 10:24am On Mar 02, 2022
That's the norm now.

Send all details and they will check and schedule you for interview.

Poanan:
Please i need urgent reply. A support job is asking me for to send my ID befkre interview.
Passport
Evidence of work permit
Evidence of residencial adress
Evidence of nin

Please elders, is ot advisable i go ahead? I dont how it is done here but i fwel these things are too personal to ask for a job i am yet to be interviewed for. Not like i am even sure of getting the job.

Response needed urgently i am supposed to have interview by 3pm.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harwe: 10:24am On Mar 02, 2022
Once you get let me know

Thank you
Gloriouscrown:
Hello everyone,

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harwe: 10:26am On Mar 02, 2022
Good Morning I need Pounds here at a good rate. If you have kindly reach out.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:30am On Mar 02, 2022
Peerielass:

It is what it is but it will pass soon. Now you will understand why oyibo no dey born too much pickin unless of course they are on benefits.

Do you have a partner? If yes, one of you has to stay home and look after your son or you can both work alternate shifts so there’s always someone at home. If you are by yourself, then you just have to pay the nursery fees and get on with it. You could also try bringing a relative from Nigeria but that itself is fraught with problems.

Whatever you do, please do not leave your young son by himself. I know some Africans do this but it is very dangerous and could land you in big trouble with the police and social services.

No Nigerian would leave an 18 month old baby alone in Nigeria and go to work, let alone in the UK.
Ultimately it boils down to planning for the OP, someone works days and someone works nights, those are the only options.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by scampy(m): 10:58am On Mar 02, 2022
harwe:
Good Morning I need Pounds here at a good rate. If you have kindly reach out.

Thanks

I have at 780.

5k is available
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:20am On Mar 02, 2022
Chreze:
Pls my people, if you get any mail from your child’s nursery that someone from his classroom contacted covid. Please withdraw your child for some time. Contrary to NHS guide that the child can still go to school if he/she is not showing any signs or symptoms. As I type this, everyone is my house (self, wife and our 2 n half year old son) has covid.

It all started 3 weekends ago when he was running temperature and we took him to the GP. The Dr examined him and said it was an infection. He then prescribe an antibiotic for 5days. After 4days of taking the antibiotics, we got a call from his nursery that he’s having some signs of reaction on his body. I took him to the pharmacy and he said it was nothing serious but we should stop the antibiotics. He also gave him an oral solution to relief the reaction. Before taking the oral solution we discovered that the reaction had disappeared, but we still gave him for 1 full day. We went back to the doctor and he said we should stop the antibiotics and call the clinic if any new development. All these while, we have been having covid test regularly just to be sure that’s not the situation. Two weeks ago we got a mail that someone from his classroom had tested positive and they attached NHS covid guidance for nursery kids. While we were still going from high temperature to normal temperature and cough, we got another mail from the school a week ago that two other people had tested positive. That was when it got done on me that covid was an option for his situation. All these while we were testing ourself and it came out negative.

To cut the long story short. Yesterday I took him to a testing center and after the test, on our way back home, I started feeling very funny. Got home took paracetamol. Woke up and was not feeling good still, so I took the covid test again early this morning and it turned out positive. My wife did same and also got a positive result. Then we became anxious to know his own test result, though he wasn’t running temperature again, but was still having this little cough and catarrh. Well, hours later after reporting our case to NHS and asking them to follow up with our sons result, we got an sms that he is positive.

To be honest we don’t know where the covid came from as 3 of my wife’s colleagues had to isolate in December and another last month. But we are suspecting the school as the school had to close the room for some time due to growing cases. My advice is not to risk it. If someone test positive in your child’s class, it’s possible to spread from the careers if not from the kids. I don’t know. But that’s our present situation and I am sharing for others to learn from it.
Wish you and your family well.
Staying away might not solve the problem. It may mean having to keep them away more often than not, while still continuing to pay childcare. You also do not know at what stage you were informed and if you child is already exposed to it. I will advise to just continue and if they ask you to keep your child away, in England, you are entiled to a rebate/refund for those days missed.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 11:30am On Mar 02, 2022
Chreze:

Pity that you have covid (I had it too last year), but withdrawing children from school on the basis of contact with other covid-positive children isn't the way forward, I think. As the previous poster said, you might find yourself basically home schooling your child for the forseeable future.

Covid is here to stay, suppression has failed and it's time to live with it. Children swap diseases amongst themselves at that age, and covid is just another disease to add to the mix.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by klassykute(m): 12:32pm On Mar 02, 2022
fadhilat1:

If you are applying via UCAS, you have to pay an application fee. I think it cost around 26 Pounds or so...
please how do i set up my UCAS and get The Personal ID

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 12:47pm On Mar 02, 2022
Positions ideal for students or those trying to break into the NHS.

Bank Admin & Clerical, bands 2-4, Site: Chelsea and West Middlesex. £11.73 - £13.92 Bank Rates
https://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/about-us/work-with-us#!/job/UK/London/London/Chelsea_Westminster_Hospital_NHS_Foundation_Trust/Administration/Administration-v3972709

Permanent 15 hours/week. Volunteering Recruitment & Training Co-ordinator Band 4, Site: Kingston Upon Thames. £26,447 - £28,780 pa pro rata. inclusive of HCAS (Outer).
https://www.healthjobsuk.com/job/v3935826

Permanent part-time 15 hours per week (Wed & Friday). Administration Coordinator Band 4. Location: Buckinghamshire. £23,677 - £26,127 per annum inclusive pro rata
https://www.healthjobsuk.com/job/v3970166

Permament part-time 12 hours per week (Mon & Wed). Receptionist Band 3. £21,396 - £22,866 per annum inclusive pro rata
https://www.healthjobsuk.com/job/v3970411

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harrrry: 1:24pm On Mar 02, 2022
Good afternoon all, please can a student doing part-time job in a care home do more than 20hrs/ week?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 1:33pm On Mar 02, 2022
harrrry:
Good afternoon all, please can a student doing part-time job in a care home do more than 20hrs/ week?

No

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 1:33pm On Mar 02, 2022
Gloriouscrown:
Hello everyone,

No
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 1:35pm On Mar 02, 2022
davyx:
Kudos to the gurus in the house. I really appreciate everyone’s contributions to the success of this thread. Though, am in the UK at the moment undergoing my masters, my dependents did their biometric on the 24th February, 2022 and got a successful feedback on the 02 March, 2022. Though, from the letter attached via mail by UKVI, decision was made 26th February, 2022. Decision was quite fast to my surprise.

To all intending applicants kindly make use of Abuja TLS, they are quite fast.

Success to everyone.

Not entirely correct. It’s a function of a lot of functions. The use of Abuja or Lagos or VI is immaterial on how fast.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 1:40pm On Mar 02, 2022
KOVIC19COVID20:

Not entirely correct. It’s a function of a lot of functions. The use of Abuja or Lagos or VI is immaterial on how fast.

Did you study mathematics??

F(g(X))

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gloriouscrown: 1:54pm On Mar 02, 2022
KOVIC19COVID20:

No

Thanks.

@Holly I hope I got your name correct. The Hrmc app is for those with NI number already. It's not working for me. I don't know if I'm doing it the wrong way
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 2:02pm On Mar 02, 2022
harwe:
That's the norm now.

Send all details and they will check and schedule you for interview.

Bros take am easy. I just reach town. I have done ot thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 2:20pm On Mar 02, 2022
Peerielass:

wow who will leave a baby all by he/her self?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 2:21pm On Mar 02, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

No Nigerian would leave an 18 month old baby alone in Nigeria and go to work, let alone in the UK.
Ultimately it boils down to planning for the OP, someone works days and someone works nights, those are the only options.

Maybe not at 18months but they do leave young kids alone and go to work especially those in the Care sector/Night Shifters. I know of one personally. Also there was a Nigerian woman in Salford that left her kids and traveled to Nigeria for a wedding . This made the news in 2015 and most recently four young black kids were burnt to death in a house fire because their Mom was away at work.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 3:00pm On Mar 02, 2022
I know someone who left a 2 year old for over 12 hours and went to work. Laslas, Govt got involved and the rest is now history.
jesmond3945:
wow who will leave a baby all by he/her self?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by whitley(m): 3:02pm On Mar 02, 2022
Thanks for your response. Much appreciated

Peerielass:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:06pm On Mar 02, 2022
Peerielass:

Maybe not at 18months but they do leave young kids alone and go to work especially those in the Care sector/Night Shifters. I know of one personally. Also there was a Nigerian woman in Salford that left her kids and traveled to Nigeria for a wedding . This made the news in 2015 and most recently four young black kids were burnt to death in a house fire because their Mom was away at work.

Another mum in the news recently went shopping when house burnt and left Two sets of twins aged four, and aged three..... how do you live 4 small boys alone

Even the famous Madeleine McCann..... Parents left her at 3 years and twins boys were just two years old. Two doctors who could afford a baby sitter

Shocking but you be surprised how often this happens . No parent abeg should leave a child at home alone

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.