Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,860 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (295) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1181351 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hycent007: 8:59am On Mar 03, 2022
Good morning house, Please I need assistance, I want to use Form A to send UPKEEP to my elder brother in the UK, has anyone here done this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by elenengine(m): 9:08am On Mar 03, 2022
Good morning my good people here,
I am in South Wales.
Please I need accommodation for couples, I don't mind any city in Wales (Cardiff, Newport, PONTYPRIDD or so.
I am stranded, Airbnb booking is killing.
Abeg I need accommodation to rent, I don't mind the size.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 10:10am On Mar 03, 2022
bluebella:
Good Morning Special people here.

The challenge now is that the 3-bedroom we have made a commitment for won't be ready till the middle of May.
I don't have the energy of looking for short-stay accommodation now.

Please, elders and wise ones, what should I do?

He is just bluffing. He can't throw you out and neither can he summon the police to throw you out. This is a civil issue.

Just make sure you do not get confrontational,physical or aggressive with him. If he attempts any aggression against you or lays a finger on you, feel free to call the police and try and get some video evidence.

Tell him he has to give you till May to move out. You are happy to pay him the extra 60 quid in the interest of peace and remind him that you've been responsible for all bills. Let him know that you are aware renting council property is illegal (not only will the council take the flat from him, they will also prosecute him and recover all lost income) and if he STRESSES you, you are going to involve the council as they are best people to settle the issue since they are the owners of the property and you are both "tenants".

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 10:17am On Mar 03, 2022
@bluebella,

The police cannot throw you out, if they are present it is just to keep the peace. Don't let him threaten you with police this is not Nigeria.

If you want to do him strong thing write anonymous letter to the council that your landlord is subletting his flat then he will be in trouble.

Reason why lots of people even Nigerians try not to deal with Nigerians, the dodgy ones make things difficult for the genuine ones.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 10:17am On Mar 03, 2022
bluebella:
Many thanks to everyone here for the quality of information shared on this platform. I have learnt alot here.

Please I need sound advice and the way forward.

I and my wife(student) arrived in the UK last December, stayed with a family friend for 10 days, got temporary accommodation (1 room) in a three-bedroom flat till the end of February and moved into a one-bedroom. We have already made an arrangement/commitment for a 3-bedroom which will be ready in the middle of May since we plan that the children will join us here in the UK by end of May.

The one-bedroom (fully furnished) we are staying in currently belongs to a Nigerian who stays and works in London and said that it's a council house and he pays 400pounds monthly and council tax 120pounds monthly (he didnt tell us this initially). Before we rented the place he told us verbally that it is 500pounds for the first month and subsequent months rent will be 400pounds and we agreed (we pay electricity ourselves and I have a virgin media broadband, so no bills inclusive). Since its a council house, his name is on the property and he cannot give us any tenancy agreement, moreover is just for three months, we agreed verbally.
Now fast-forward, the rent for March to April is due by 8th of March but called me on the 28th of Feb and pleaded if the rent can come early because he wants to travel back to Nigeria for a few days. I credited his account the next day with 400pounds. He called back and said the rent is supposed to be 500pounds and not 400pounds, we argued for a few days and i told him that please let's concentrate on solutions because its now my words against his. He called again that I should add 60pounds to the rent, I told him I don't have that money but I can make provision for the upgraded rent(460 pounds from April). He is insisting that I must give him 60pounds now or tell him when I can give him the 60pounds. I told him I don't have that kind of money and I don't want to owe or give empty promises.
Yesterday while I was at work he sent my wife a voice message that we should move out by the 7th of April, that he has told the council that he is moving out by that time (he will move his furniture out) and he will come with the police to make sure we move out(lol) by April 7th.

The challenge now is that the 3-bedroom we have made a commitment for won't be ready till the middle of May.
I don't have the energy of looking for short-stay accommodation now.

Please, elders and wise ones, what should I do?

I don’t think your landlord can do much, to evict you he will have to do it legally, if he hasn’t bought the council flat, which seems to be the case then the ball is in your court.
I think you should stay put, pay the agreed amount. Don’t threaten him about reporting him to the council.

I don’t understand why Nigerians threat themselves badly especially where money is involved. Just the other day someone was telling me about a Nigerian lady who owned a care recruitment company employing vulnerable Nigerians to work and not paying them even though she received the money from the council. Is that not wickedness?
How are we meant to progress as a community if this is our mindset?
Yesterday I was listening to daddy freeze saying the money raised to help stranded Nigerians in Ukraine ,the lady involved wanted to share it and pocket the money, instead of using it for the purpose it was meant for.
It’s very easy to criticise those in power, maybe we should look a bit closer to home.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 10:33am On Mar 03, 2022
harwe:
Good Morning I need Pounds here at a good rate. If you have kindly reach out.

Thanks
come to my DM, i have £600
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 10:48am On Mar 03, 2022
Hycent007:
Good morning house, Please I need assistance, I want to use Form A to send UPKEEP to my elder brother in the UK, has anyone here done this?
you can do that. So far you have evidence that he is your blood brother. Just fill the cbn form. Link your bank and his account number. When submitting documents, put your brother's admission letter., CAS, evidence of your relationship etc. It will fly. I know someone who has done it. I have also used it twice but it's for my wife as a beneficiary

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 10:51am On Mar 03, 2022
Please where can one get an auto car that is pocket friendly? The ones I found on FB marketplace are manual.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:51am On Mar 03, 2022
bluebella:
Many thanks to everyone here for the quality of information shared on this platform. I have learnt alot here.

Please I need sound advice and the way forward.

I and my do?

He self knows he can't call police. . ... he not suppose to be sub-letting in the first place . However what the average rent of that place. Chances are he has helped u save a few buck although illegally.

£60 is not a jaw breaking amount. If I were you I would pay and live peacefully till May when you lease is up. That if he agrees.

Fighting fire by fire resolves nothing. At the end everyone is stress, bitter and all worked up. ...... when you have accommodation wahala you cant be settled and can't think. So try and avoid going down wahala path

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:57am On Mar 03, 2022
marylandcakes:

I don’t think your landlord can do much, to evict you he will have to do it legally, if he hasn’t bought the council flat, which seems to be the case then the ball is in your court.
I think you should stay put, pay the agreed amount. Don’t threaten him about reporting him to the council.

I don’t understand why Nigerians threat themselves badly especially where money is involved. Just the other day someone was telling me about a Nigerian lady who owned a care recruitment company employing vulnerable Nigerians to work and not paying them even though she received the money from the council. Is that not wickedness?
How are we meant to progress as a community if this is our mindset?
Yesterday I was listening to daddy freeze saying the money raised to help stranded Nigerians in Ukraine , the lady involved wanted to share it and pocket the money, instead of using it for the purpose it was meant for.
It’s very easy to criticise those in power, maybe we should look a bit closer to home.

The bold .... u see why Nigeria cannot get better . Nigeria matter leaves me speechless all the time

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 11:03am On Mar 03, 2022
LagosismyHome:

The bold .... u see why Nigeria cannot get better . Nigeria matter leaves me speechless all the time

It’s very sad when you think of it. embarassed

Buhari has just approved a budget of $8.5M to help stranded Nigerians in Ukraine, let’s see how much of that money will be used for its intended purpose.
Logistics will swallow everything.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 11:15am On Mar 03, 2022
My thoughts exactly!!! Better to allow peace reign.

Just a contrary opinion to everyone else, the landlord might make life difficult for him if he has got no proof that he paid him rent. He can even say he is a friend.

On the other hand, I have seen a landlord that packed the tenant things in Ghana must go, moved everything outside and changed the lock. The tenant sued him and the court told him to pay £1000 for unlawful eviction. Just to say there are some rogue landlords out there.

LagosismyHome:

He self knows he can't call police. . ... he not suppose to be sub-letting in the first place . However what the average rent of that place. Chances are he has helped u save a few buck although illegally.

£60 is not a jaw breaking amount. If I were you I would pay and live peacefully till May when you lease is up. That if he agrees.

Fighting fire by fire resolves nothing. At the end everyone is stress, bitter and all worked up. ......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 11:15am On Mar 03, 2022
Lexusgs430:

He is playing with fire ........... grin

If I was you, with my non religious mind........

Tell him you are going to make a report to the council, that he illegally subletted the flat to you ......

Hin body go calm down ........ wink

smiley cheesy grin I trust say you go write the bold
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 11:17am On Mar 03, 2022
dupyshoo:

Just a contrary opinion to everyone else, the landlord might make life difficult for him if he has got no proof that he paid him rent. He can even say he is a friend.

On the other hand, I have seen a landlord that packed the tenant things in Ghana must go, moved everything outside and changed the lock. The tenant sued him and the court told him to pay £1000 for unlawful eviction. Just to say there are some rogue landlords out there.

Sadly Nobody wins in war .... both the person in the right and the person in the wrong. Nobody wins

I agree.... Better to allow peace reign.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 11:20am On Mar 03, 2022
That should calm him down as that should make ensure that his case doesn't turn out like the below
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7815325/amp/Benefits-fraudster-falsely-claimed-114-000-telling-council-homeless-jailed.html
Lexusgs430:

He is playing with fire ........... grin

If I was you, with my non religious mind........

Tell him you are going to make a report to the council, that he illegally subletted the flat to you ......

Hin body go calm down ........ wink

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 11:27am On Mar 03, 2022
Who has a lemonade link. I want to exchange small change to Naira. Abi any better offer dey?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 11:33am On Mar 03, 2022
mex551:
Who has a lemonade link. I want to exchange small change to Naira. Abi any better offer dey?

I use Lemonade Finance to send money to Africa. You get 10.00 GBP when you verify your account and send over 100.00 GBP with my referral link - https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/EZje
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 11:35am On Mar 03, 2022
dupyshoo:

He paid him through bank transfer, so there is evidence and again he will not even have the courage to do jack because the council will drag his backside through the mud and he will pay back all the money made through illegal subletting.

Getting the police involved is like self-snitching on himself.

cynical part of me...thinks the op should now take advantage of him and live rent-free till that May.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 11:42am On Mar 03, 2022
justwise:

He paid him through bank transfer, so there is evidence and again he will not even have the courage to do jack because the council will drag his backside through the mud and he will pay back all the money made through illegal subletting.

Getting the police involved is like self-snitching on himself.

cynical part of me...thinks the op should now take advantage of him and live rent-free till that May.

There’s right and there’s wrong. Two wrongs don’t make it right. Let him pay his way so as to ease his conscience. It’s better to leave this so called Landlord to karma. “Karma is a bitch”.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:53am On Mar 03, 2022
mimilyrics:
That should calm him down as that should make ensure that his case doesn't turn out like the below
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7815325/amp/Benefits-fraudster-falsely-claimed-114-000-telling-council-homeless-jailed.html

Nah our pipu......... wink

The council would kick the illegal tenant out, but the legal tenant, got loads of explanation to do ........ cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:55am On Mar 03, 2022
LagosismyHome:

smiley cheesy grin I trust say you go write the bold

You sabi say I no too get sense......... cheesy

Make both of them show craze together........... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 12:22pm On Mar 03, 2022
Good afternoon house and gurus pls a friend just got a job in the UK and today he was sent a mail by the employer that his passport or Visa change has been completed on his behalf.
Can someone explain what it means. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 12:29pm On Mar 03, 2022
Pacypatty:
Good afternoon house and gurus pls a friend just got a job in the UK and today he was sent a mail by the employer that his passport or Visa change has been completed on his behalf.
Can someone explain what it means. Thank you

Is he outside uk?... maybe a scam. How will they do visa in behalf of
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mrak2Agho: 12:29pm On Mar 03, 2022
Hello everyone who has use lemonade to send money to Nigeria before? Is it good? Because they ask me to send fund's in the account with account name Lemonade Technology Ltd..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 12:31pm On Mar 03, 2022
[quote author=LagosismyHome post=110714899]

Is he outside uk?... maybe a scam. How will they do visa in behalf of [/quote

He's in the UK with student visa and he got a job recently and that mail was sent to him by his employer pls.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 12:39pm On Mar 03, 2022
Pacypatty:

Good afternoon house and gurus pls a friend He's in the UK with student visa and he got a job recently and that mail was sent to him by his employer pls.

He need to speak directly with them to clarify what does it mean, entails and what are the next steps.... he also has home office website to guide him and he can then flag what doesn't seem right by home office rules
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hycent007: 12:40pm On Mar 03, 2022
mex551:
you can do that. So far you have evidence that he is your blood brother. Just fill the cbn form. Link your bank and his account number. When submitting documents, put your brother's admission letter., CAS, evidence of your relationship etc. It will fly. I know someone who has done it. I have also used it twice but it's for my wife as a beneficiary
Thank you for your response, would an affidavit suffice for proof of relationship?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Famocious(m): 12:42pm On Mar 03, 2022
Hey house,

I need a 2 bedroom apartment in Coventry, preferably close to University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire. I would be emigrating from Naija into the UK later this month, I've already paid over 600 euro for a short-stay apartment which would cover just 6 days. My account is already screaming for help embarassed

Anyone with help could kindly inbox me.. Daluu
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 12:42pm On Mar 03, 2022
LagosismyHome:

He need to speak directly with them to clarify what does it mean, entails and what are the next steps.... he also has home office website to guide him.

He did check home office website but couldn't get answers to his questions.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 12:42pm On Mar 03, 2022
Hycent007:

@Hycent007 I know someone that used it, trying to explore this option too. But the way. thanks to that person that gave an alternate address for provisional drivers license in the previous thread. It proved effective, got response in 8 days.

(1) (2) (3) ... (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.