Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,539 members, 7,837,074 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1200970 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 2:02pm On Oct 14, 2021
Aphrodite007:

I don’t agree. CELEBRATE everything. You left a country with no opportunity to a foreign place, why shouldn’t you celebrate your first call, or interview or second interview?

We get more with thanksgiving. Also, my friend that grew up here and is a head of his department celebrates being called for interview, just because he is happy to be interviewed, even if for just the experience.

Let’s learn to not be entitled. Tech is great, tech is easier to get into. Also, you’re human, celebrate your little wins

I couldn't agree more.
Interviews ARE wins.
After swimming through that mass of algorithms and computer-says-no crap, you actually get to a stage where a human being eyeballs your resume [and/or your west African English-drafted cover letter and other outpourings] and decides to invite you for an interview, that's a win. You learn something each interview you go to, even if its what not to do next time.

Baby steps.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 2:08pm On Oct 14, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Re the ordinary/standard (i.e. non fast track) process, my cousin told me that they appear to work fast when you eventually get an appointment to come for "capturing"; he told me his wife's came out (as in got to them in Manchester by post) in about 10 days after that time. But it was getting the appointment that took time.

He paid for fast-track and got his passport within about 5 working days.
Fast-track is still on at the HC; he went in on Tuesday last week.

Okay. Let me see if I can get an early appointment. Because to pay for flights for the whole family to go and come back plus the stress involved is giving me a headache just thinking about it. But I’ll try. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 14, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

I couldn't agree more.
Interviews ARE wins.
After swimming through that mass of algorithms and computer-says-no crap, you actually get to a stage where a human being eyeballs your resume [and/or your west African English-drafted cover letter and other outpourings] and decides to invite you for an interview, that's a win. You learn something each interview you go to, even if its what not to do next time.

Baby steps.

Hello do you by any chance know what the computer always picks up on I have heard about this algorithm thing alot
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 2:25pm On Oct 14, 2021
iyatrustee:

Pls send me an email on iyatrustee@gmail.com

Thanks!

Done. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 2:34pm On Oct 14, 2021
Aphrodite007:

I need advice please
My iPhone is bad and was told there's no support for the iphone6 anymore.
I tried to get a phone contract but was declined. I guess due to lack of credit history.
How can I get a mobile phone contract without this credit history wahala?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 2:47pm On Oct 14, 2021
canadaishome:

I need advice please
I tried to get a phone contract but was declined. I guess due to lack of credit history.

My candid advice is that you should not get a mobile phone contract yet. Get a sim only one first. Run it for a while and then try again if you insist on going the phone contract route.

I personally prefer to pay cash for phones.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 2:52pm On Oct 14, 2021
Aphrodite007:

Guy you had two problems- I helped with one, let another person help you with the second. No vex.

Truly, the devil is back grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:25pm On Oct 14, 2021
canadaishome:

I need advice please

- Get someone with good credit history, to sign on the dotted line(pesin wey sabi you)......

- Buy from Gumtree/eBay/Facebook marketplace (device stands a risk of been blacklisted afterwards)...... Seller pulling a fast one.....

- Head to the high street, look for those game exchange shops/phone selling shops (keep your receipt)......

- Buy device directly from Argos etc etc......

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:27pm On Oct 14, 2021
fabulous2019:
Please house, am new to Uk, am applying for jobs, but my problem, they are always asking for reference and criminal proof, am new, and don't know anyone
Please who can give me a guide on how I can go about it

Refers...have you worked before, even in Nigeria. If yes . Then tap into that network and use one of your colleagues as reference

Criminal..you might just need a police report from Nigeria. I didn't say go and get it yourself but find how you can get on sent to you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 4:58pm On Oct 14, 2021
canadaishome:

I need advice please

You can't.
Get a phone for cash then get a SIM contract.
Three is currently offering a 9 pounds a month contract for students for 6 months, unlimited calls, SMS and data; its a very good deal.
After about a year, you can try for a cheap phone contract. Remember to register to vote at your address.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by quivah(f): 6:17pm On Oct 14, 2021
Hi guys. Long time. Please, help with the link to search for apartments in the UK online. Someone dropped it months ago but i cant find it again.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:33pm On Oct 14, 2021
quivah:
Hi guys. Long time. Please, help with the link to search for apartments in the UK online. Someone dropped it months ago but i cant find it again.

When you saw it months ago, a screenshot, mention, share or like, would have been the best thing to do..........

Let's hope someone is kind enough to re post.....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by quivah(f): 6:42pm On Oct 14, 2021
Lexusgs430:

When you saw it months ago, a screenshot, mention, share or like, would have been the best thing to do..........

Let's hope someone is kind enough to re post.....
Trust me, that is usually what I do... screenshot or bookmark and in fact I bookmarked the page, however, I have since changed my phone and laptop.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 6:44pm On Oct 14, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

You can't.
Get a phone for cash then get a SIM contract.
Three is currently offering a 9 pounds a month contract for students for 6 months, unlimited calls, SMS and data; its a very good deal.
After about a year, you can try for a cheap phone contract. Remember to register to vote at your address.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:47pm On Oct 14, 2021
quivah:

Trust me, that is usually what I do... screenshot or bookmark and in fact I bookmarked the page, however, I have since changed my phone and laptop.

If you registered your laptop to Google or similar platforms, all your bookmarks would be logged and would sync over...... Check your backups......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by RennyKitty: 10:18pm On Oct 14, 2021
Hi everyone please help a JjC in the house, please how does one get Naric assessment result ? Is the e-statement enough to apply for UKvisa or does one need the hard copy? Meanwhile how can an applicant in Nigeria get the hard copy?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fabulous2019: 10:22pm On Oct 14, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Refers...have you worked before, even in Nigeria. If yes . Then tap into that network and use one of your colleagues as reference

Criminal..you might just need a police report from Nigeria. I didn't say go and get it yourself but find how you can get on sent to you

Thanks very much lagosismyhome, I greatly appreciate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 10:55pm On Oct 14, 2021
amanze54:

Just like you, I was busy asking, re-asking early this year about coming here.
But men I am here now, met fellow Nigerians here who don't know nairaland self, I hear their own version of life.
I can adjure that health sector is the weath here. Even my fellow IT student are working as careworker and jostling to get the NHS care work And it is the sector that most willing to sponsor.
I conclude the best bet is to come as couple cos the white chicks has zero attention for us, I see it every day. Then do not look at the Nigerian lady with paper cos the guys who got in with them here feel like a prisoner in Nigeria.
It just not an easy life. But in all you just have to experience it yourself to make your own assessment.
Sorry to hear about your experience. It seems you just got in this September and you are limited to working 20 hours a week.
It’s usually difficult to get a full time at this stage and the care jobs/ other menial jobs are the ones you can quickly get.

Just like people have been advising, the next stage now is getting your CV in UK format, making the most out of your MSc with the experiences you get and applying to as much graduate/entry roles as possible.

Yeah, I agree with you and I have similar advise that people should come as a couple. The person with a better CV will be the dependent to the other, because that person is employable.

All the best!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 8:42am On Oct 15, 2021
Please I would like to know about the bold part, I am the student but I believe my husband has better chances cos he is a Biochemist but has over 5 years experience working in the health sector in Nigeria and some assume he read a medical course. For now he has gotten an Amazon warehouse operative job but we are thinking of how he can switch to the medical field that has chances of sponsorship. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
tshoboy:

Sorry to hear about your experience. It seems you just got in this September and you are limited to working 20 hours a week.
It’s usually difficult to get a full time at this stage and the care jobs/ other menial jobs are the ones you can quickly get.

Just like people have been advising, the next stage now is getting your CV in UK format, making the most out of your MSc with the experiences you get and applying to as much graduate/entry roles as possible.

Yeah, I agree with you and I have similar advise that people should come as a couple. The person with a better CV will be the dependent to the other, because that person is employable.

All the best!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 8:49am On Oct 15, 2021
canadaishome:

I need advice please

You might need to walk into a store face to face. Maybe Curry’s PC, or any other big phone store. Alternatively you could go with a mobile provider, like O2 or EE- walk into the store. Explain to them that you want a mobile contract and a phone, they will explain everything to you and tell you if you’ll likely get it or not. This way you won’t apply and get rejected (I think this affects your credit score).

If you’re not a student, you may get a yes if you’ve been here for a minimum of 3 months. If you’re a student, pls just close your eye and buy china.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 8:52am On Oct 15, 2021
EngrSaks:
For those finding it hard to sleep at night...playing YouTube videos like these will help you sleep faster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5E1UGKd9TA
m

Kai Engineer this one will even keep me awake now! cheesy It’s rain that I like

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 8:53am On Oct 15, 2021
Mamatukwas:

Now singing ‘oh ancient of days’ cheesy

Hahaha
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 8:56am On Oct 15, 2021
gratefulme40:

It was short. Less than 180 days in 5 yrs. I honestly didn’t think one would be asked for proof that periods of absence was authorised by employer. However, my friend’s application was delayed because they requested she sends a letter from employer covering a period of absence of about 2 weeks

I really feel your pain. They just wake up and change an immigration law to make it more stringent.

Sorry iye.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 9:06am On Oct 15, 2021
Irenenwaka:

Hello do you by any chance know what the computer always picks up on I have heard about this algorithm thing alot

A job ad would have some words in it. Make sure you have those words in your cv. What I mean is, if you’re applying for a Scrum master role, and your cv doesn’t have “scrum” in it, it will fall through.

What I advise my mentees to do is:

Pick 3 job ads that you like. Read & digest them very well. Paraphrase each sentence into your cv (if it’s a something you’ve done or can do o).

The reason I put that last sentence is because I have a few people that “lied” in their cv and are crying now in the job.

So be kiaful- no go do pass yasef.

If you don’t know the job line, invest time into learning it, that’s how you upskill yourself for a role. E.g. if the job line says sql, go to w3schools and learn basic sql. It will help you defend it well if asked in an interview.

Also make sure you don’t have things like age, gender, full address (just London or Leeds and postcode is fine) or state of origin (lol whenever I see these in cvs i know it’s a Nigerian grin). Please don’t put picture.

If you have money, find a cv writer online and pay them to arrange your cv for you. It’s worth the investment because they make it look very fine and add some more words you may not remember.

10 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by EngrSaks(m): 9:21am On Oct 15, 2021
Really? I kindof like the other sound,lol

Here is one with rain and nice sounding thunder�

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHYLodRUetM

Aphrodite007:
m

Kai Engineer this one will even keep me awake now! cheesy It’s rain that I like

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 9:29am On Oct 15, 2021
Wait let me gist you guys about interviews fails for Nigerians. 3 Nigerians I interviewed recently had the most fantastic CVs, like men, I was proud.

Only for time for interview time:

Man 1 was shouting on us shocked grin at some point I even said, “please.. calm down… take a breath and relax”.. he still no gree grin
The other interviewer was asking why Man 1 was so angry. I had to explain that it was the person’s nature and it was normal in Nigeria. But they were worried he would shout on (senior) staff grin

Woman 2: she was ace. But her personality was dull. We even made jokes, she no laugh. And she kept sighing. Even me sef, I couldn’t beg for her. Some interviewers like to know you’re enjoying the interview. Make jokes as well, smile, keep a positive personality. Also if you’re going to laugh, don’t laugh inside the mic biko.

Man 3: guys. I know we are proud of our accent, but even foreigners in Nigeria learn to speak pidgin or twist their accent to speak to us. I was the only one that could hear this Man. I was the only one laughing at his jokes- the others on the panel were puzzled. So please lighten your accent small.

So you could be the best candidate but the above things will just ruin it. Seem happy, crack non-sensitive jokes, don’t gesticulate too much,M (you’re not a traffic warden), pause before you answer questions (don’t rush to answer), you could even answer a question and say “has that happened to you too?” And the interviewer may laugh and tell their own story.. and that’s how interview will turn to gist. Let them enjoy your presence.

You’ll def pass.

38 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 9:30am On Oct 15, 2021
Aphrodite007:

A job ad would have some words in it. Make sure you have those words in your cv. What I mean is, if you’re applying for a Scrum master role, and your cv doesn’t have “scrum” in it, it will fall through.

What I advise my mentees to do is:

Pick 3 job ads that you like. Read & digest them very well. Paraphrase each sentence into your cv (if it’s a something you’ve done or can do o).

The reason I put that last sentence is because I have a few people that “lied” in their cv and are crying now in the job.

So be kiaful- no go do pass yasef.

If you don’t know the job line, invest time into learning it, that’s how you upskill yourself for a role. E.g. if the job line says sql, go to w3schools and learn basic sql. It will help you defend it well if asked in an interview.

Also make sure you don’t have things like age, gender, full address (just London or Leeds and postcode is fine) or state of origin (lol whenever I see these in cvs i k ow it’s a Nigerian grin). Please don’t put picture.

If you have money, find a cv writer online and pay them to arrange your cv for you. It’s worth the investment because they make it look very fine and some more words you may not remember.
Please how can I join your mentorship club? I need a mentor badly. I am trying to change careers at the moment and think I have some skills but need guidance to put it all together.
Is it ok if I contact you?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:49am On Oct 15, 2021
Aphrodite007:
Wait let me gist you guys about interviews fails for Nigerians. 3 Nigerians I interviewed recently had the most fantastic CVs, like men, I was proud.

Only for time for interview time:

Man 1 was shouting on us shocked grin at some point I even said, “please.. calm down… take a breath and relax”.. he still no gree grin
The other interviewer was asking why Man 1 was so angry. I had to explain that it was the person’s nature and it was normal in Nigeria. But they were worried he would shout on (senior) staff grin

Woman 2: she was ace. But her personality was dull. We even made jokes, she no laugh. And she kept sighing. Even me sef, I couldn’t beg for her. Some interviewers like to know you’re enjoying the interview. Make jokes as well, smile, keep a positive personality. Also if you’re going to laugh, don’t laugh inside the mic biko.

Man 3: guys. I know we are proud of our accent, but even foreigners in Nigeria learn to speak pidgin or twist their accent to speak to us. I was the only one that could hear this Man. I was the only one laughing at his jokes- the others on the panel were puzzled. So please lighten your accent small.

So you could be the best candidate but the above things will just ruin it. Seem happy, crack non-sensitive jokes, don’t gesticulate too much,M (you’re not a traffic warden), pause before you answer questions (don’t rush to answer), you could even answer a question and say “has that happened to you too?” And the interviewer may laugh and tell their own story.. and that’s how interview will turn to gist. Let them enjoy your presence.

You’ll def pass.

Correct.
And show that you are in sync with the country you are in. Drop things to show that you understand the way things work here; I've always counselled people to read the papers and watch the news so that you can be topical as much as is possible for someone who's not been here long.

My first interview lasted more than 2 hours. We left behind the thing they were interviewing me about and went far deep into house prices, how Airbnbs are destroying the housing market, why Britain is a low-wage economy and whose fault it is, etc. I didn't get that job, but it took them almost 4 weeks after the interview for them to write me the bouncing letter, so obviously there was much consideration behind the scenes before that decision was arrived at. Conversely, I know of an interview where one IT guy who was being sent to work out of Edinburgh had no idea what Scotland's status in the UK was, and thought it was something like a state in India (or Nigeria), and the panel started asking him all sorts of questions which quickly laid bare his ignorance about a lot of things in the UK.

It's easy to say that many UK people themselves are ignorant - that may be true, but this is their country and their level and our own level no be the same. Madam has made some good points - especially about the accent. No need to form accent - simply speak slowly and clearly and you will be understood.

We know Nigerians don't like to read and research - the inanity of a good deal of the questions posted here shows that - but it should be noted that improving oneself can make the difference between obtaining extensive experience in eldercare/bodybuilding and weight training at Amazon or Royal Mail or getting a desired alternative job.

8 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.