Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,023 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (553) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1171279 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (550) (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 2:50pm On Aug 04, 2022
babajeje123:
I got this from TV licensing office, what is the best way to go about this cos I don't understand this? I have never watched BBC or any UK related TV stations. I don dey tayad for this country o

Was the letter addressed to you or just your address?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:35pm On Aug 04, 2022
justwise:

You know their format..... ..... It would be addressed to the occupier ......... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 3:37pm On Aug 04, 2022
justwise:

Address
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 3:39pm On Aug 04, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Shred and throw inside dustbin......... grin

Many more letters go drop...... Simply shred and bin .... cheesy
Ha, do I have the liver?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:41pm On Aug 04, 2022
babajeje123:

Ha, do I have the liver?

Liver dey Tesco, go buy extra ........ grin

You go need am....... No do babajeje o ........ Or else in 1,2,3. ...... You go cast ....... cheesy

Or we speak to Ike Ekweremadu, to source better liver ....... wink

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 4:33pm On Aug 04, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Liver dey Tesco, go buy extra ........ grin

You go need am....... No do babajeje o ........ Or else in 1,2,3. ...... You go cast ....... cheesy

Or we speak to Ike Ekweremadu, to source better liver ....... wink
lmao
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 4:57pm On Aug 04, 2022
babajeje123:

Address

Bin it though you will be receiving a lot more of it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by RalphJean: 6:21pm On Aug 04, 2022
babajeje123:

Ha, do I have the liver?

Let me tell you the legally right thing to do:
Go to their website. Fill a form. In the form, write that you do not watch any live tV on BBC or any live-streaming .
It is a simple, straight-to-the-point form. Fill it completely, click submit.
The next letter you will receive from them is a letter of exemption. Exempting you from paying the licence fee.

That, my friend (brother) is the right thing to do.

PS: I am writing from Personal Experience .

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:43pm On Aug 04, 2022
RalphJean:

Go to their website. Fill a form. In the form, write that you do not watch any live tV on BBC or any live-streaming .
The next letter you will receive from them is a letter of exemption. Exempting you from paying the licence fee.

Till they spring a surprise visit on you (does not always happen)........

And in your living room, is your flat screen on the wall, enjoying EastEnders......... grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 6:57pm On Aug 04, 2022
I'm selling some new work gadgets. I got them brand new and used them barely before I changed jobs and got new ones. Can sell them all for £300, they're basic specifications that can get office job done without issues. Basically brand new.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by RalphJean: 7:01pm On Aug 04, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Till they spring a surprise visit on you (does not always happen)........

And in your living room, is your flat screen on the wall, enjoying EastEnders......... grin

I have learned to trust people by the words of their mouth.
Mr babajeje specifically mentioned that he doesn’t watch any live Tv. No bbc iPlayer. No streaming etc…

Same with me. Because I do not watch or own any of such, I did the legally right thing, by formally applying for exemption, and which they formally granted, no time wasted.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:27pm On Aug 04, 2022
RalphJean:

Mr babajeje specifically mentioned that he doesn’t watch any live Tv. No bbc iPlayer. No streaming etc…

Same with me. Because I do not watch or own any of such, I did the legally right thing, by formally applying for exemption, and which they formally granted, no time wasted.

Do you have a laptop, tablet or smartphone........... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by santos247(m): 7:46pm On Aug 04, 2022
Hello fam, I need some good counsel.
I moved into the Uk just few weeks back on a 3-yr fixed term appointment. I resigned from a previous job outside the UK. I am due to collect my pension contribution. The money has been taxed before being paid to me (>20% tax). The net is not much, just about £8000.
I am thinking of how best to 'invest it' in the Uk, taking cognisance of tax and value. I am not sure how HMRC operate such things.
Here are the options I thought about:
1. I have read about Lifetime ISA on this platform. One can only access the funds after age 60 or when buying a house (house value below £450K)
2. A standard ISA.
I can simply wire the money to the UK and move it into a LISA or ISA account right?
3. Transfer it to a UK pension scheme. I am not sure if it will not be taxed again, now or in the future.
NB: The LISA looks good but being on a 3 yr visa (of course, I trust God for a extended stay and being a permanent staff), makes me think if its advisable at this stage.
Has anyone been in such similar situation? What did you do?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ALIF07: 8:14pm On Aug 04, 2022
Lexusgs430:
IPTV lovers ........ Anyone watched summer slam ........ cheesy

Ashamedly, I am a WWE lover ....... Yes it's staged.... But our life too is staged........... wink

Uncle, abeg help me cut soap for this iptv levels, I send u message
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:17pm On Aug 04, 2022
ALIF07:

Uncle, abeg help me cut soap for this iptv levels, I send u message

Send a WhatsApp message......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 8:43pm On Aug 04, 2022
RalphJean:

Hmmm... Live programmes on Youtube, Facebook, Instagram via Phones, Laptop, Tablets are all included
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 9:52pm On Aug 04, 2022
Solumtoya:

Hmmm... Live programmes on Youtube, Facebook, Instagram via Phones, Laptop, Tablets are all included
Ẹ́kís sá
If I stream Chelsea vs Everton come Saturday on an Android app I use back in Nigeria, would I have watched a live TV sir or be expected to pay for TV license
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:07am On Aug 05, 2022
Okay these car insurance I’m seeing for my Nigerian license Dey do my body anyhow. Abeg for my people driving with their Nigerian license. Who can recommend an affordable car insurance company? Or if there’s a way to get cheaper quotes. Thanks in advance
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 4:19am On Aug 05, 2022
Amarathripple0:
Okay these car insurance I’m seeing for my Nigerian license Dey do my body anyhow. Abeg for my people driving with their Nigerian license. Who can recommend an affordable car insurance company? Or if there’s a way to get cheaper quotes. Thanks in advance
My basic understanding is that they only trust their license, hence the high price for International license.
To get cheaper quotes, your job is a factor, best if you're with children, staying in a less busy area, have a driveway or garage at your residence, having a long years of experience, avoid old or relatively cheap cars(based on my small research, I might be wrong), check one or more quoting site ẹ.g Moneysupermarket, comparethemarket, quotezone etc, lastly the insurance group is a factor, best if it's within 1 to 3/5 cheesy

Like Oga Lexusgs430 would suggest a Toyota Aygo would really give one of the cheapest quotes, I never see the automatic if you don't do stick sha.

I hope have been able to convince you and not confuse you.

N:B this is my view, it might be wrong

10 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 5:18am On Aug 05, 2022
santos247:
Hello fam
Here are the options I thought about:
1. I have read about Lifetime ISA on this platform. One can only access the funds after age 60 or when buying a house (house value below £450K)
2. A standard ISA.
I can simply wire the money to the UK and move it into a LISA or ISA account right?
3. Transfer it to a UK pension scheme. I am not sure if it will not be taxed again, now or in the

Amarathripple0:

I asked this Same question and no one answered. Hopefully they respond to you because I need this info as keeping my naira in mutual funds in Nigeria is no longer profitable for me.
You can also invest it using platforms like moneybox or Lloyds bank (there are others). They invest in shares, bonds, properties etc and their portfolio includes a mixture of these at varying ratios depending on your risk appetite you will select what you want them to invest in at the point of opening the account. Once you put the money there, they manage the investments for you.

The retuns is tax free and maximum investment per annum is £20k. This £20k includes the £4k in your LISA. Meaning if you have LISA and £4k is in it, you can only put max of £16k there, if you don't have LISA, you can put the £20k there.

If you max out the £20k allowance but still have more to invest, you'll have to open a different investment account (can't remember the name). The investments are same but the returns in this one is taxed.

Lloyds bank seems to have a more friendly management fee but having a bank account with them is a pre requisite.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by santos247(m): 9:58am On Aug 05, 2022
Thanks for this feedback.
Lloyds bank does not operate LISA. Moneybox operates a cash and stocks LISA. I will explore them while trying to maintain another investment portfolio with Lloyds.
Once again, thank you.

Viruses:

You can also invest it using platforms like moneybox or Lloyds bank (there are others). They invest in shares, bonds, properties etc and their portfolio includes a mixture of these at varying ratios depending on your risk appetite you will select what you want them to invest in at the point of opening the account. Once you put the money there, they manage the investments for you.

The retuns is tax free and maximum investment per annum is £20k. This £20k includes the £4k in your LISA. Meaning if you have LISA and £4k is in it, you can only put max of £16k there, if you don't have LISA, you can put the £20k there.

If you max out the £20k allowance but still have more to invest, you'll have to open a different investment account (can't remember the name). The investments are same but the returns in this one is taxed.

Lloyds bank seems to have a more friendly management fee but having a bank account with them is a pre requisite.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 10:20am On Aug 05, 2022
Please where are the affordable places in terms of rent that someone that got a job in central london can stay and commute easily. It's an NHS job just in case it comes with any housing discounts �. Suggestions will be highly appreciated
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:38am On Aug 05, 2022
RalphJean:

To be fair, this is the right thing to do. If you don't have "liver" like me, just pay the £15 or so monthly, it's not that big a deal. Tomorrow, you may buy a smart TV that comes with bbc installed. Many of them do.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oggg: 11:04am On Aug 05, 2022
babajeje123:

Ha, do I have the liver?
Fill the form online that you dnt watch live tv.. nothing will happen to you. You will receive your exemption certificate in no time and rest and be free from unnecessary palpitations
If your circumstances change tomorrow that is for tomorrow to worry about.. as at today. fill the exemption form online and rest
Tv licensing company abi what work with fear tactics, you snooze you lose.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:42am On Aug 05, 2022
Preshyi:
Please where are the affordable places in terms of rent that someone that got a job in central london can stay and commute easily. It's an NHS job just in case it comes with any housing discounts �. Suggestions will be highly appreciated

To be honest none ........ Affordable is a subjective term ........

If you work in central london, you don't want to live too far..... So when you leave for work, you save £'s, but loose time, only for saved £'s to be consumed by transport fare ....... grin

Ideally, you might pay higher rent, but save money on transport....... You might even be able to cycle to work .......

So, the ultimate choice is yours........ Your best bet might be sharing an apartment, with a colleague.......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 12:32pm On Aug 05, 2022
Good afternoon everyone. Please how can someone get a job here after school. I tried applying for jobs in pwc but got rejection mails after i got a mail to answer diversity and inclusion questions.

Abeg elders how do we go about it. Cos the skill set on my cv in my opinion is same as the jobs advertised.

I have experience of 7yrs. Out of this 7yrs i worked 2yrs in audit.

@TheguyinHR and others abeg. Responses are highly appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 12:45pm On Aug 05, 2022
QuantAnalyst:

Haa...I didn't close the account. Infact, I left small change inside sef.

I want to ask some personal questions sir, can I send a pm?

Thanks

I dknt think it is ur uk nin they are asking. J may want to read it very well.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by domin8(f): 1:44pm On Aug 05, 2022
Afternoon guys,

You guys should help me thank God! I Passed my Practical driving test today with 1 minor! grin on my 2nd Attempt.

My 1st Attempt was Zero minors and 2 serious faults (One for putting the gear in drive instead of reverse when pulling out after parking in bay. As I tapped the accelerator, the car lurched forward and I braked only to realise the examiner also braked too cry - Rookie mistake as I was not used to the instructors car and the Second was for observation not checking blind spot when pulling out from stopping on the left and a car was approaching. - This happened after the parking bay incident and I was already shaken).

To God be the glory! Now to move on to other matters. cheesy

N.B To anyone still practicing for their license be encouraged with this update

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:58pm On Aug 05, 2022
domin8:
Afternoon guys,

You guys should help me thank God! I Passed my Practical driving test today with 1 minor! grin on my 2nd Attempt.

My 1st Attempt was Zero minors and 2 serious faults (One for putting the gear in drive instead of reverse when pulling out after parking in bay. As I tapped the accelerator, the car lurched forward and I braked only to realise the examiner also braked too cry - Rookie mistake as I was not used to the instructors car and the Second was for observation not checking blind spot when pulling out from stopping on the left and a car was approaching. - This happened after the parking bay incident and I was already shaken).

To God be the glory! Now to move on to other matters. cheesy

N.B To anyone still practicing for their license be encouraged with this update

Why you no use automatic only .....
cheesy

Don't tell us you committed this mistake, using an automatic........ wink

Congratulations........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by domin8(f): 2:32pm On Aug 05, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Why you no use automatic only .....
cheesy

Don't tell us you committed this mistake, using an automatic........ wink

Congratulations........

Ancestor sir, it was in an automatic o! lipsrsealed. The challenge was that with my own car there is no P just R-N-A and then an Electronic handbrake. In the one I used it was the traditional P-R-N-D and Manual Handbrake. I messed up by not looking at the gear and just changed to Drive!.

Thanks boss!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:49pm On Aug 05, 2022
domin8:

Ancestor sir, it was in an automatic o! lipsrsealed. The challenge was that with my own car there is no P just R-N-A and then an Electronic handbrake. In the one I used it was the traditional P-R-N-D and Manual Handbrake. I messed up by not looking at the gear and just changed to Drive!.

Thanks boss!!

You don pass that hurdle......... wink

The trick to passing, is using the same instructor's vehicle for practice and test .........

My driving instructor, told me I was not ready to pass my test, after 4 lessons !!!!!(I shocked him) ......... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Googledrive12: 4:29pm On Aug 05, 2022
can we have a small get together of this thread members in same city? Maybe on a weekend this summer, I miss speaking pidgin and looking at my country people faces. This white life no sweet again. Vote for this. Let's connect , share ideas and opportunities. You are free to say I am feeling lonely in this white dominated area. but I am not home( bandit controlled territory) sick. tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (550) (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.