Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (564) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176913 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 5:59pm On Aug 10, 2022
grandma123:
Thank you icon8 for your input, I know mostly the care work visa is 3 years or 5 years and you need to work for that employer, switching role or job means the 5 years route will reset.
The question is, would corporate employer be willing to employ with Care visa?
How would I be able to convince employer that I am still relevant in my profession with care job? Those are my thinking really.

While I do not know much about visas, the bolded can’t be correct - but I stand to be corrected.

Also, employers willing to sponsor you will not be particularly interested in the type of visa you currently hold, especially since you would have made it known to them that you’d require sponsorship should your application be successful. It is also easy to explain that you went into temporary care work as a foreign student, which is commonplace and therefore shouldn’t be a problem to switch back to your professional career field after your studies.

In all, I think you are overthinking things. My advice would be for you to visit gov.uk and read all available documents on the type of visa you are interested in, and all about sponsorship. Sometimes, these things are a lot easier and straightforward than we think they are. All you need is access to the right information and a plan - for which www.gov.uk should be your starting point.

If I were you, I’d take the bird in hand and carefully execute an exit strategy in 6 to 12 months - unless you are absolutely certain that the condition for that type of visa is that you cannot switch before 3 years - which I very much doubt as that would be tantamount to corporate slavery and should be illegal in the UK.

I’ll let those with knowledge of visas take it up from here, but I wish you well in whatever you finally decide on doing.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 6:14pm On Aug 10, 2022
grandma123:
Thank you icon8 for your input, I know mostly the care work visa is 3 years or 5 years and you need to work for that employer, switching role or job means the 5 years route will reset.
How would I be able to convince employer that I am still relevant in my profession with care job? Those are my thinking really.

This is a big fat bloody lie @ bolded.

Believe those youtube idiots peddling falsehood at your own peril.

Switching tier 2 sponsors can never and will never reset the 5 year route to ILR

Moving from one tier to another eg. Moving from tier 2 to tier 5 is what resets the route to ILR

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:20pm On Aug 10, 2022
grandma123:

Ralphlauren is correct.
What resets the 5 year route is when you switch visa categories (e.g. Tier 2 to Tier 4), not employers within the same visa category.
Secondly, an employer who wants you doesn't care what your current visa status is - they can employ you from outside the UK with no resident visa in the first place, so why not if you are already in-country with a visa.

Lastly, in this country, it is accepted for career paths to vary widely, a period of doing what you have to do to make ends meet while searching for something better is OK. Don't overthink that aspect.

Regarding the italicised, I thought you said you were taking certifications and all that in your [non-care related] field? Where that's the case, dont worry and be not afraid, it may surprise you but a lot of people in HR can actually read and draw relevant information from a resume and where your details fit their JDs, that could be you sorted.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 6:24pm On Aug 10, 2022
Ralphlauren:

This is a big fat bloody lie @ bolded.

Believe those youtube idiots peddling falsehood at your own peril.

Switching tier 2 sponsors can never and will never reset the 5 year route to ILR

Moving from one tier to another eg. Moving from tier 2 to tier 5 is what resets the route to ILR

Let’s even pretend it’s true and the clock will reset. Resetting after 1 year means 1 + 5 = 6. 6 years is still a lot better than 10, in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ekcfele: 6:44pm On Aug 10, 2022
Thank you
Lexusgs430:

WOW ........ What a coincidence......... Now wey una don see eyeball2eyeball....... That his plan, don jump inside ocean.........

If I was him, I would come and negotiate..........

You need to get your lawyer send a letter to the British High commission, narrating your custody battle and progress, which would include the full names and DOB of your children etc etc etc .......

Your lawyer needs to summon your ex husband to court, so the judge can issue a temporary injunction........

Your lawyer needs to send same petition letter to NAPTIP etc etc etc ..........

Do you have a copy of your children's travelling passport......

You don't want to stop your children from travelling, but once they arrive the UK, you want to collect them?

The horse must always go ahead of the cart ..........

Make I stop for now ........... If I was him, it's time to negotiate......... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 7:31pm On Aug 10, 2022
hustla:

I have a friend who makes 14M+ naira in Naija off Devops gigs and interviews in the US

If I tell someone who's outside IT, probably a banker, he'll probably would call it lamba

Airinjina ni a o ri abuke okere smiley
Per month or per annum?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 8:12pm On Aug 10, 2022
icon8:

Is the bolded a precondition for the sponsorship?

If yes, I agree with you that that’s a long time to be miserable - perhaps you could negotiate down to 1 year?

If no, could you possibly take the offer and start the clock while you look for something better in 6 to 12 months?
The condition is not set by the company, it is govt's policy that you can only work for the company sponsoring you. So you will be doing yourself a disservice by trying to reduce the duration of employment. Better to get longer duration and switch company if you want later.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:12pm On Aug 10, 2022
Viruses:

Per month or per annum?

Per month
Hard to believe yeah?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 8:22pm On Aug 10, 2022
hustla:

Heard Agile PM is the hot one at the moment

A bit expensive though

Amarathripple0 may have some more input as regards this
smiley
She can start with the basic Prince2 Foundation and then move on to Practitioner. For Agile, she can start with the Certified Scrum Master certification from Scrum Alliance but with Agile, it’s more about understanding the technique than the certificate, watching YouTube videos and practicing with Jira might help.A Jira account can be created at no extra fee for the basic access. @ grandma123 , whilst these certifications are nice, you’d need some experience to wiggle your way into being a Project Manager. You can start by applying for some Project Coordinator or Project officer roles to start with or even Graduate PM roles. However, if you’ve actually managed projects and people, then by all means, tailor your CV accordingly and apply for PM roles directly.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bujebudanu1(m): 8:46pm On Aug 10, 2022
emmaodet:

I can bet my car that either the lady will drop his ass within the next 12 months or she starts banging someone over there in 6 months

Sad truth..

I get girl wey dey here with boyfriend for naija.
She dey bang 3 dks on a steady here

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 8:57pm On Aug 10, 2022
BorisJohnson:
Hello my country people, especially those living in Scotland. I have a quick question.

Can a tier 4 visa (student) get allocated a council/social housing (Housing association) house please?
And does anyone know ANY tier-4 visa holder who has been able to successfully apply for a Council house (especially in Scotland)?

Thank you for your help.

This is coming in late, but I actually know a tier 4 visa fellow who applied and got - Paisley, Scotland

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:19pm On Aug 10, 2022
1.0 Mind sharing what your Master is. No pressure, but just to gauge how to link to other areas of accounting, circular economy or even project/program mgt
2.0 Age is an unfortunate yet wonderful factor that plays out in its own unique way. However, with zeal, it pans out real good or even turns around for better consideration!
3.0 Apart from ICAEW, do give ACCA or even CIMA (I'll hv to check if still operational or relevant).
If your Masters is accounting related, you will get 'tons' of waivers for your ACCA.
As regarding ICAEW, if you are ICAN from 9ja, you are in for heart warming news tonight (that may tilt towards a glass of red wine!!!) wink
[ICAEW] ICAN (Nigeria) members
As a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN), you may be eligible to join ICAEW based on your experience through our Pathways to Membership route. You can also apply for a practising certificate and gain audit rights in the UK with our Audit Qualification.
www.icaew.com/membership/becoming-a-member/members-of-other-bodies/members-of-other-bodies-a-z/ican-nigeria-members

4.0 Do the 9ja big firms have UK presence or listed or brand known. If so, let their name feature prominently alongside your PM, CM training.
Nonetheless, get going on PM certification in the UK.
Get going hard on APMG Prince2 project mgt certification, consider Agile and draw strengths from accounting. Not so sure which side of accounting you defer. Whichever, the number crunching, logic thinking, analysing and summarising surely adds up.
Loosely speaking, APMG is to the UK (Prince2 PM) what PMI is to the US.
[url]apmg-international.com/[/url]
All the best.
grandma123:
Hello my people, please I need your input on my situation.
I have completed my Master and need to move forward in the UK, I have 2 options to choose from which is dicey and I am in a serious Dilemma now. I am in my mid 40s and a mother, a qualified Chartered Accountant (over 15 years post qualification experience) back home and presently working on becoming a member of ICAEW here in the UK. I have been applying for professional roles ...
I am at crossed road as I would not want to get PSW and still continue with the care job.
I have done different trainings and have in house training certificates from big firms in Nigeria on Project Management, Change Management, Lean etc.
What certification can I do in Project management in the UK?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CBNwords(m): 9:28pm On Aug 10, 2022
justwise:

https://www.nairaland.com/7226648/fiancee-relocating-uk/7#114772040

So finally she went ahead with the ''journey''?

Omoh grin grin this thread ehn
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:13am On Aug 11, 2022
bujebudanu1:

Sad truth..

I get girl wey dey here with boyfriend for naija.
She dey bang 3 dks on a steady here

How can I be the 4th ........... grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Owoado(m): 1:16am On Aug 11, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Bring the kpanla fish from your fridge and I'll connect you to be the 4th
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:26am On Aug 11, 2022
Owoado:
Bring the kpanla fish from your fridge and I'll connect you to be the 4th

See wetin kpanla wan cause o ......... shocked
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bujebudanu1(m): 5:36am On Aug 11, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Money, just send her hair money or take her out, opari
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:41am On Aug 11, 2022
bujebudanu1:

Money, just send her hair money or take her out, opari

You know both of this endeavours, could become expensive rendezvous............ grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 11:30am On Aug 11, 2022
grandma123:

Many people have pointed this out but also to support that this information is wrong. Please lets be careful of what we share here instead, lets put our statement like questions so that we can get our fact rights

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bujebudanu1(m): 5:22pm On Aug 11, 2022
Lexusgs430:

You know both of this endeavours, could become expensive rendezvous............ grin

I know them because am one of the diks, to cap it all, have money for manjaros pizza
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 5:40pm On Aug 11, 2022
Akorkor:

Many people have pointed this out but also to support that this information is wrong. Please lets be careful of what we share here instead, lets put our statement like questions so that we can get our fact rights

If you believe a statement is wrong, the burden of proof is on you to provide the opposing “correct” statement.

Communication is a continuous process.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 6:43pm On Aug 11, 2022
rayralph:

If you believe a statement is wrong, the burden of proof is on you to provide the opposing “correct” statement.

Communication is a continuous process.
https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain-tier-2-t2-skilled-worker-visa/time-uk
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ayowolebami(f): 7:03pm On Aug 11, 2022
AirBay:

Is it possible to get into these professions and start earning the figures within 6months?

Yes if you enter with the right qualification, certification and experience. I know people in my field who entered on dependent visa and landed fantastic jobs in Risk/Compliance/AML in less than 2 months. Really hoping to get Lucky by the time I'm done with my program too. Some skill sets are transferable and the same across board.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ayowolebami(f): 7:14pm On Aug 11, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Ralphlauren is correct.
What resets the 5 year route is when you switch visa categories (e.g. Tier 2 to Tier 4), not employers within the same visa category.
Secondly, an employer who wants you doesn't care what your current visa status is - they can employ you from outside the UK with no resident visa in the first place, so why not if you are already in-country with a visa.

Lastly, in this country, it is accepted for career paths to vary widely, a period of doing what you have to do to make ends meet while searching for something better is OK. Don't overthink that aspect.

Regarding the italicised, I thought you said you were taking certifications and all that in your [non-care related] field? Where that's the case, dont worry and be not afraid, it may surprise you but a lot of people in HR can actually read and draw relevant information from a resume and where your details fit their JDs, that could be you sorted.

I would like to ask you a question please oga HR, does switching from main applicant on a Tier 2 visa to dependent reset the journey to ILR?

Take for instance, the husband is the main applicant but before the 5yrs journey, something happens after 3yrs and he has to switch to being dependent of his spouse who is on tier 2 sponsorship also, will the years reset or he can just spend the 2yrs on being a dependent of tier 2 to complete the 5yrs ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by 5gee: 7:30pm On Aug 11, 2022
Ayowolebami:

I would like to ask you a question please oga HR, does switching from main applicant on a Tier 2 visa to dependent reset the journey to ILR?

Take for instance, the husband is the main applicant but before the 5yrs journey, something happens after 3yrs and he has to switch to being dependent of his spouse who is on tier 2 sponsorship also, will the years reset or he can just spend the 2yrs on being a dependent of tier 2 to complete the 5yrs ?
Yes.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunoj: 7:45pm On Aug 11, 2022
Ayowolebami:

Yes.
The 5 years journey is separate for each individual and cannot be mixed.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by olalekan9320(m): 9:48pm On Aug 11, 2022
topellycategory:
Don't mind them a lot of Nigerians are hypocrite, They say something online and they do different thing offline.
I know them very well.
Exactly
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 9:51pm On Aug 11, 2022
Heathrow44:

yh, maybe I'm yet to see a woman that really loves u, if its common for a woman to do this, why is it so rare an occurrence that it goes unreported, the rsn is that is 0.0009% that does it and is not a significant figure, if 100 people re females and only 8 do bring their husband's or bfs abroad, do u say that a lot of women do that, No, it means that u av a 1 in a million chances that it would happen, I'm just advising him to keep an open mind, look forward to the worst and expect the best

Lmao I'm so sorry for you. Such a sad experience you've had

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Advision: 10:10pm On Aug 11, 2022
grandma123:
Hello my people, please I need your input on my situation.

I have completed my Master and need to move forward in the UK, I have 2 options to choose from which is dicey and I am in a serious Dilemma now. I am in my mid 40s and a mother, a qualified Chartered Accountant (over 15 years post qualification experience) back home and presently working on becoming a member of ICAEW here in the UK. I have been applying for professional roles on different job sites for a while now to no avail. Though I do get calls from recruiters concerning roles but sometimes because of the student visa status they may not proceed and sometimes you would not here back from them.

No insult please

I'll advise you join the ican society in the uk and network with accountants in d uk....will help a lot in scoping your path to ILR with finance/accounting opportunities.

(1) (2) (3) ... (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.