Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,108 members, 7,828,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (580) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1191565 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (577) (578) (579) (580) (581) (582) (583) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 10:00pm On Aug 22, 2022
tizzdi:
hello guys please any idea of living in leeds while schooling in bradford (UoB)? i’m having a hard time finding a nice studio apartment.
major concern is commuting to and fro
cc Justwise and others

@tizzdi People usually do it the other way round, school in leeds and live in bradford, thats because bradford usually have cheaper accomodation than leeds. That said, I know a family that did it, wife was schooling in bradford but they decided to stay in leeds since her classes was only twice a week (Bradford to leeds is about 40 mins bus ride.) Hubby was able to bag a fantastic job in Leeds of over 60k, he had extensive banking experience from Nigeria.

If you looking for apartment in leeds and you a student, try unipol, they are a charity that support student with low cost accomodation, although I believe most of the places might already be taken up,

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tizzdi(m): 10:24pm On Aug 22, 2022
Santa2:

@tizzdi People usually do it the other way round, school in leeds and live in bradford, thats because bradford usually have cheaper accomodation than leeds. That said, I know a family that did it, wife was schooling in bradford but they decided to stay in leeds since her classes was only twice a week (Bradford to leeds is about 40 mins bus ride.) Hubby was able to bag a fantastic job in Leeds of over 60k, he had extensive banking experience from Nigeria.

If you looking for apartment in leeds and you a student, try unipol, they are a charity that support student with low cost accomodation, although I believe most of the places might already be taken up, f
thank u very much, would do just that

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 11:06pm On Aug 22, 2022
I need advice please.
My rent is expiring next month, I planned to move to a new city as I will be finishing from school same month. The house agents sent a reminder that I can either renew a 6 months contract, vacate or enter a monthly rolling contract. I was happy with the monthly rolling contract option cos I have not finalised moving arrangements yet. However they said I will pay an extra £25 per month for that option and that makes no sense to me. Is there a way to contest this please?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:23pm On Aug 22, 2022
Preshyi:

I need advice please.
My rent is expiring next month, I planned to move to a new city as I will be finishing from school same month. The house agents sent a reminder that I can either renew a 6 months contract, vacate or enter a monthly rolling contract. I was happy with the monthly rolling contract option cos I have not finalised moving arrangements yet. However they said I will pay an extra £25 per month for that option and that makes no sense to me. Is there a way to contest this please?

GIVE them their £25 and TAKE the rolling accomodation......... grin

I would even say £25 is a very cheap deal .......... PAYG is normally more expensive.......... wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by teeebest(m): 11:26pm On Aug 22, 2022
Viruses:

Select address outside UK and fill. That won't require postcode to be mandatory.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by teeebest(m): 11:26pm On Aug 22, 2022
MichaelUde:

I don't remember clearly, but there is an option to simply select "Outside the Uk" or "Overseas", something like that and either input an address or not and move along. Look well, it definitely wasn't a problem when I did it.

Okay. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:40pm On Aug 22, 2022
semmyk:
Thanks for the update. I've been following up for sometimes now. So many workinprogress one can't track all.
Checked now. It's also official on the list, not just News.
www.gov.uk/scale-up-worker-visa
Probably Justwise might update the visa thread
[For nothing]
Three core: 1. there's an employer eligibility. @Amara already listed where to go (kindda similar to 'Tier 2' list.
2. You're bound for 6 mths and then 'set loose'!
3. Self employed/ voluntary work
PS: Search list here: www.scaleupinstitute.org.uk/scaleups/

With a Scale-up Worker visa you can:
- work in your sponsored job for at least 6 months
- leave your sponsored job after 6 months
- study
- bring your partner and children with you as your ‘dependants’, if they’re eligible
- take on additional work, including becoming self-employed
- do voluntary work
... ...

Thanks for the extensive write up!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 11:41pm On Aug 22, 2022
Goddys:

Please what's the name of agency that pays you £20 per hour

Google "highest paying UK HCA agencies"
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:41pm On Aug 22, 2022
Santa2:

If you looking for apartment in leeds and you a student, try unipol, they are a charity that support student with low cost accomodation, although I believe most of the places might already be taken up, for bradford accomdation, call and ask to speak with dahana on zero one two seven four seven two zero nine zero zero, they might just have something.
Love this! @ the bolded smiley

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phenmeson(m): 1:38am On Aug 23, 2022
Good morning Elders.
I presently work in small part of Sussex with average salary of #30yearly
My Tfare yearly to work on Public transport is less than one way flight ticket from Lagos to Abuja. Family also have free travel pass but the rent over here cari muscles. Average monthly rent na £1300 for 3bedroom and roughly £350k for mortgage.

Due to high prices in the country, I don't want to get serve breakfast were my rent will increase to £1400monthly.
I saw 3bedroom house in Doncaster which cost averagely £750 monthly or £180k for mortgage. But relocating there means starting a new life with family. Any idea of those living close or lived in Doncaster before. How are jobs over there?
God no go shame us oooo.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 9:08am On Aug 23, 2022
Santa2:

If you looking for apartment in leeds and you a student, try unipol, they are a charity that support student with low cost accomodation, although I believe most of the places might already be taken up,

I tap into the anointing!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 9:10am On Aug 23, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Love this! @ the bolded smiley

I saw the back and forth on pay scale earlier and i didnt want to dig in so as not to add flames to it. But i believe both sides of the argument have got points. Its fantastic getting 22k job, heck even take 18k if thats whats available(man must hustle,bills must be paid), but know that its also possible to bag the top end job too(this is me putting it loosely as top end is relative). My spouse was able to get a job of over 70k with her naija experience just after 2 and half months of landing(student dependant), but before that she got rejected from several 30k-45k jobs and was got discouraged severally, she started a 19k customer support role and did it for 3 weeks before the main job arrived.

I would say do what works for you. Also there a lot of customer support roles that students can do if the dont want to work in care. Concentrix is always recruiting they have part time roles for students and fulltime too. Webhelp is another one and they are fulltime remote roles(but its fulltime). Hsbc, lloyds and satander(am sure the other high street banks do too) are always recruiting for customer service advisors. Hsbc is usually hybrid, santander remote, and i am not sure of lloyds, with these bank you can pivot to other departments after a while if thats your forte cos you will have access to internal vacancies. In all these always put at the back of the mind that if your field and experience from naija allows it you can get a great job too.

19 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 10:12am On Aug 23, 2022
Chai! It's not so cheap o for a studio apartment. They just increased rent less than 6 months ago. Anyway, will intensify plans to move soon. Thanks for responding.
Lexusgs430:

GIVE them their £25 and TAKE the rolling accomodation......... grin

I would even say £25 is a very cheap deal .......... PAYG is normally more expensive.......... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:38am On Aug 23, 2022
Preshyi:
Chai! It's not so cheap o for a studio apartment. They just increased rent less than 6 months ago. Anyway, will intensify plans to move soon. Thanks for responding.

This your monthly rolling contract, just brought back a memory....... cheesy

My cousin had a council flat, she fell in love with someone in Nigeria, decided to relocate to Nigeria......

She did not want to return her flat back to the council, so I was offered exclusive status..........

Less than a year of my access to her mansion, she returned back (with her tails between her legs)......
cheesy

She now wanted me out almost immediately, see me see wàhálà........ cheesy

She started to frustrate my life, I could not find any accommodation, within my pocket friendly range....... cheesy

My delightful cousin now derived a mathematical calculation plan..........

She split all the bills into daily rates.......... grin

Cable, landline, gas, water, rent....... Now had a daily rate attached (till I eventually moved out)............... wink

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 12:06pm On Aug 23, 2022
Ha ...omo no brother for jungle oo cheesy Curious but are you guys still on good terms after this?

Lexusgs430:

My cousin had a council flat, she fell in love with someone in Nigeria, decided to relocate to Nigeria......

She did not want to return her flat back to the council, so I was offered exclusive status..........

Less than a year of my access to her mansion, she returned back (with her tails between her legs)......
cheesy

She started to frustrate my life, I could not find any accommodation, within my pocket friendly range....... cheesy

Cable, landline, gas, water, rent....... Now had a daily rate attached (till I eventually moved out)............... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:06pm On Aug 23, 2022
Santa2:

I saw the back and forth on pay scale earlier and i didnt want to dig in so as not to add flames to it. But i believe both sides of the argument have got points. Its fantastic getting 22k job, heck even take 18k if thats whats available(man must hustle,bills must be paid), but know that its also possible to bag the top end job too(this is me putting it loosely as top end is relative). My spouse was able to get a job of over 70k with her naija experience just after 2 and half months of landing(student dependant), but before that she got rejected from several 30k-45k jobs and was got discouraged severally, she started a 19k customer support role and did it for 3 weeks before the main job arrived.

I would say do what works for you. Also there a lot of customer support roles that students can do if the dont want to work in care. Concentrix is always recruiting they have part time roles for students and fulltime too. Webhelp is another one and they are fulltime remote roles(but its fulltime). Hsbc, lloyds and satander(am sure the other high street banks do too) are always recruiting for customer service advisors. Hsbc is usually hybrid, santander remote, and i am not sure of lloyds, with these bank you can pivot to other departments after a while if thats your forte cos you will have access to internal vacancies. In all these always put at the back of the mind that if your field and experience from naija allows it you can get a great job too.
Funny enough, I currently work for one of the companies you mentioned. That customer service job is a learning experience especially in sharpening people’s communication and interpersonal skills in a country like the UK that’s particularly diverse. You and your spouse clearly know your onions. Congratulations to her bagging that over 70k role.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 12:51pm On Aug 23, 2022
£1=N818 best time to send money to naija

I use Lemonade Finance to send money to Africa. You get 10.00 GBP when you verify your account and send over 100.00 GBP with my referral link - https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/cZuH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tizzdi(m): 2:32pm On Aug 23, 2022
Lexusgs430:

cheesy

good day sir, please any pound for sale? need to make a deposit on an apartment
regards
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tizzdi(m): 2:35pm On Aug 23, 2022
please who has £300 pounds for sale
thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 2:42pm On Aug 23, 2022
Aligator12008:

Thank you for the response.
It's the skilled worker visa, I am just scared about the implications if I could switch since the student visa has just been granted and how to go about the application for a skilled worker visa.

You can switch, apply, if you are not granted, you continue your studentship, if not you get a job.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 2:51pm On Aug 23, 2022
MadeMen4Life:
You are very right, those who don’t believe don’t have to believe. You might be earning £20 per hour as a carer if you work for an agency, depending on the type of agency you work for/your role… Got here December last year, started with an agency who was paying £11.5, felt the money wasn’t enough, moved to another agency paying £20 per hour on weekdays, £25 on weekends… Same Healthcare Job… Still heard about another agency that pay as high as £30 per hour but not currently recruiting HCA… Bottom line is, £11 per hour is really a small amount to some people even way before they came here…

All the best

Biko help me with the agency's name.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 3:55pm On Aug 23, 2022
tizzdi:
please who has £300 pounds for sale
thanks
dnt make deposit for apartment from outside the UK ooo.. to be forewarned is to be forearmed.. if you have someone physically following up for you in the UK, then go ahead.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tizzdi(m): 3:57pm On Aug 23, 2022
giselle237:
dnt make deposit for apartment from outside the UK ooo.. to be forewarned is to be forearmed.. if you have someone physically following up for you in the UK, then go ahead.
was a bit skeptical but its a unipol landlord….or what do you think
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 4:42pm On Aug 23, 2022
tizzdi:
was a bit skeptical but its a unipol landlord….or what do you think
dnt know about unipol sorry. Maybe others can advise.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:40pm On Aug 23, 2022
tizzdi:
good day sir, please any pound for sale? need to make a deposit on an apartment
regards

Remember, 419 landlords full UK too o ........ wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:44pm On Aug 23, 2022
bigtt76:
Ha ...omo no brother for jungle oo cheesy Curious but are you guys still on good terms after this?

We did not have a fight, but I just went incommunicado, after a while.............. cheesy

If we see, we still exchange pleasantries ....... This life is too fragile......... smiley

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 7:47pm On Aug 23, 2022
cheesy cheesy nice one by you.

Lexusgs430:

We did not have a fight, but I just went incommunicado, after a while.............. cheesy

If we see, we still exchange pleasantries ....... This life is too fragile......... smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by olafim309(f): 7:51pm On Aug 23, 2022
Good evening to the elders in the house,
Please I am so confused here, I hope someone can enlighten me.
I studied special educational needs and disability and am already on PSW. I just got a job with a council as SEN casework officer. Below are my questions please.
1) under skilled list, I don’t don’t know if I fall into the categories of SEN teachers or Educational officers (note: I am not working/teaching in a school)
2) is it polite to discuss CoS with my manager as soon as I resume (I will be resuming next week and the council got license)
3) my annual salary is above 30k but below 33k, can I apply for scale up visa based on national pay scale(I planned to moved to SEN tribunal officer after some months experience)
Please am begging you in the name of God, look into this cry thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 8:23pm On Aug 23, 2022
Phenmeson:
Good morning Elders.
I presently work in small part of Sussex with average salary of #30yearly
My Tfare yearly to work on Public transport is less than one way flight ticket from Lagos to Abuja. Family also have free travel pass but the rent over here cari muscles. Average monthly rent na £1300 for 3bedroom and roughly £350k for mortgage.

Due to high prices in the country, I don't want to get serve breakfast were my rent will increase to £1400monthly.
I saw 3bedroom house in Doncaster which cost averagely £750 monthly or £180k for mortgage. But relocating there means starting a new life with family. Any idea of those living close or lived in Doncaster before. How are jobs over there?
God no go shame us oooo.

Doncaster is a nice town, in my opinion. If you considering going there look at simple life. They develop new builds and rent out at reasonable price, New build 3 bedroom semi detach duplx was going for £750 at a time, with access to good schools for the kids and all. Don't know the current rate.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Odenigbo25(m): 8:57pm On Aug 23, 2022
olafim309:
Good evening to the elders in the house,
Please I am so confused here, I hope someone can enlighten me.
I studied special educational needs and disability and am already on PSW. I just got a job with a council as SEN casework officer. Below are my questions please.
1) under skilled list, I don’t don’t know if I fall into the categories of SEN teachers or Educational officers (note: I am not working/teaching in a school)
2) is it polite to discuss CoS with my manager as soon as I resume (I will be resuming next week and the council got license)
3) my annual salary is above 30k but below 33k, can I apply for scale up visa based on national pay scale(I planned to moved to SEN tribunal officer after some months experience)
Please am begging you in the name of God, look into this cry thanks

Your annual salary is above the “ shyte salary “ so you are good to go lol �

No mind me , me I dey discus cos before I accept any job oo to avoid “ unfortunately , I am Afraid etc” ��lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (577) (578) (579) (580) (581) (582) (583) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.