Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,126 members, 7,829,008 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (579) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1191696 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (576) (577) (578) (579) (580) (581) (582) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 10:22am On Aug 22, 2022
Infosec (especially now with the loose term cybersecurity) is wide, vast and varied: technical, nontechnical, management
There different entry points.
On 22k matter, which I've steer clear of, 'infosec' comes in various sizes and shades. However, even the low levels point toward accelerated upward trajectory (salary, career wise)
PS : certification goes a long way, certification alone might not do the bidding.
Inbtw, give Privacy or information governance especially those relating to UK DPA and GDPR roles. Sponsorships might be easier with universities, NHS...
NB : someone posted a link to a 'hands-on' training site sometimes back. Can't seem to locate it.
Disclaimer: this is not a binding advice in law.
Tinyemeka:

Ope O!
You're an uncle in the field sir.
I saw that certification requires 5 years cognate experience.
wonlasewonimi:

Infosec

semmyk:
Nowadays, cybersecurity is synonymous with hacking (albeit unfortunately so). However, it can't be wished away. So, get on board the route; try the likes of CEH.
Seeing that you're coming from engring, although you didn't specify which field of engring and level, you might to look at security aspects of Process lines; like your CPS cyber physical system which covers SCADA, PLC, even IoT.
I'm sure, others will point out to specific online courses. On security certs; like Sec+, CEH, CISSP, ISACA CSX, ...
Perhaps, you might also want to check out below writing and others earlier in this thread
semmyk:
Cybersecurity has become a slap it all for 'all' things security (information security). One thing I can say is the more you go deep, the deeper it becomes; needing varying skillsets to navigate.
Though you might not need a licence, in the true sense of it, however, you'll soon discover this thing the call security clearance. The more you look, the more you see different shades of 'em. They quickly become a stumbling block.
PS: talking of licence, the UK national cybersecurity strategy is seemly moving in that direction. The NCSC is not far-off

1.0 Look out for BCS, become a member and work things from there.
2.0 Get on board the CISSP bandwagon, starting with the CCSA (if that's what it's still called).
2.1Whilst at it, detour to ISACA for certification in CSX certifications, starting with cybersecurity fundamental, then CSX Foundation. Then, shoot for ISACA CSX Practitioner and (ISC)2 CISSP in one go.
I recommend this based on your 'profile', you've sketched. We've all been through the 'computer village'. At times, there's no other foundational grounding! That's discourse for another day.

In btw, you might want to go the networking route, then your path, though not strictly, would drift along the CCNA (or variants), CCNA security. However, ain't no stopping into CCIE.

By the way, there's this craze for data analytics/science/engineer. Maybe, might get your foot in the door faster than the two above. Dunno? However, the Python for data analytics is also essention for Networking these days.
Lemme step aside and allow the landlords speak to your matter. They have the insightfully insights.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:58am On Aug 22, 2022
iboboyswag:

@mamatukwas thank you for this Monday motivation.

Na this thing we dey talk.

No just settle. Yes! There would be plenty rejection. But keep at it. You are not just there yet. Na who give up lose.

Don't just settle for less.

Your Naija experience counts. However the measure it counts. In whatever field, it counts.

If you need to remind yourself every morning say that your 22kpa pay na shyte money to get your juices flowing please do it.

If you came in via student route, remind yourself daily: My investment must yield fruit!

Who no go no know. 20k+ pounds no be beans O! Make your mind dey there.

But again there are trade offs. If your small get ILR security, by no means hold am strong. After every, you can unleash the dragon.

Well said!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:19pm On Aug 22, 2022
Update! Update! Update!

The scale up visa is officially live and it’s such a welcome development - www.gov.uk/scale-up-worker-visa

The list of approved professionals include - scientists, engineers, programmers, software developers, research and development professionals, economists, architects, technicians, financial and investment advisers. However, don’t fret, the list is expanded here; so your field is probably not left out - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/scale-up-going-rates-for-eligible-occupations/scale-up-going-rates-for-eligible-occupations

You can find a list of the scale up companies here - https://www.scaleupinstitute.org.uk

Let’s go!!!

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 12:25pm On Aug 22, 2022
semmyk:
Infosec (especially now with the loose term cybersecurity) is wide, vast and varied: technical, nontechnical, management
There different entry points.
On 22k matter, which I've steer clear of, 'infosec' comes in various sizes and shades. However, even the low levels point toward accelerated upward trajectory (salary, career wise)
PS : certification goes a long way, certification alone might not do the bidding.
Inbtw, give Privacy or information governance especially those relating to UK DPA and GDPR roles. Sponsorships might be easier with universities, NHS...
NB : someone posted a link to a 'hands-on' training site sometimes back. Can't seem to locate it.
Disclaimer: this is not a binding advice in law.

Thank you semmyK!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goddys(m): 12:34pm On Aug 22, 2022
MadeMen4Life:
You are very right, those who don’t believe don’t have to believe. You might be earning £20 per hour as a carer if you work for an agency, depending on the type of agency you work for/your role… Got here December last year, started with an agency who was paying £11.5, felt the money wasn’t enough, moved to another agency paying £20 per hour on weekdays, £25 on weekends… Same Healthcare Job… Still heard about another agency that pay as high as £30 per hour but not currently recruiting HCA… Bottom line is, £11 per hour is really a small amount to some people even way before they came here…

All the best

Please what's the name of agency that pays you £20 per hour

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 12:40pm On Aug 22, 2022
Amarathripple0:
Update! Update! Update!

The scale up visa is officially live and it’s such a welcome development - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/scale-up-visa-will-propel-high-growth-businesses

The list of approved professionals include - scientists, engineers, programmers, software developers, research and development professionals, economists, architects, technicians, financial and investment advisers. However, don’t fret, the list is expanded here; so your field is probably not left out - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/scale-up-going-rates-for-eligible-occupations/scale-up-going-rates-for-eligible-occupations

You can find a list of the scale up companies here - https://www.scaleupinstitute.org.uk

Let’s go!!!

Thanks for sharing. I have been following up as well

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phelixblaq(m): 1:13pm On Aug 22, 2022
Goddys:

Make he talk am for open forum make Una go spoil show for am?? Naso

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sheelay(m): 1:15pm On Aug 22, 2022
justwise:

How will you know that a used phone is from US and not the UK apart from the charger?

Processors are different for androids... And for iphones, the 5G sensor placement is different

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sheelay(m): 1:17pm On Aug 22, 2022
MichaelUde:

CDMA or GSM phones?
For laptops and PCs, yes I would agree.

GSM PHONES.... I know this for sure cos that's what I deal on...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by teeebest(m): 1:17pm On Aug 22, 2022
Yemite1845:
Please I’m stuck while filling form for provisional drivers license,it’s requesting for 3 years proof of address, I’ve not spent up to a year in UK ,how can I get pass that ….urgently help please …. Thanks

Hello Elders, I am stuck at this stage of applying for provisional license online as well. There is a compulsory place on the form to enter postcode. Since that is not applicable for a Nigerian address, I could not proceed. I have only stayed in the UK for 7 months.

Please what can I do?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sheelay(m): 1:17pm On Aug 22, 2022
Itsrm:

"UK used" phones come from China

China bawo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MadeMen4Life: 1:22pm On Aug 22, 2022
grin grin
Phelixblaq:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MadeMen4Life: 1:29pm On Aug 22, 2022
Many agencies pay even above that BUT they are location dependent…. Majority of those agencies can be found in London area or metropolis, some can be found in the West Midlands as well.. A simple google or indeed search will provide you with enough, but it’s more easier working for this agencies IF YOU DRIVE, their location of services are far…
Goddys:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 1:35pm On Aug 22, 2022
Goddys:

I'm not sure if that rate is for ordinary hospital based care.
I would think that should be for domiciliary waka, the one where you go to people's houses, which fit be wahala sometimes, all the driving and sometimes meeting strange people for house, better in my opinion to work in structured settings - hospitals/care homes where them no fit dey accuse you of anything anyhow.

ID Medical, Newcross, Medline and the rest usually were paying like £24, 26 for HCAs for Sundays, so basic rate is lower (or at least as at last year).

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MadeMen4Life: 2:12pm On Aug 22, 2022
I have never done Domiciliary care with any agency, as a matter of fact I don’t know how it works…

I work in NHS hospitals through agencies, I don’t do care homes or nursing homes either and I have never been asked to do personal care in NHS Hospitals where I have worked and still working…
MichaelUde:

I'm not sure if that rate is for ordinary hospital based care.
I would think that should be for domiciliary waka, the one where you go to people's houses, which fit be wahala sometimes, all the driving and sometimes meeting strange people for house, better in my opinion to work in structured settings - hospitals/care homes where them no fit dey accuse you of anything anyhow.

ID Medical, Newcross, Medline and the rest usually were paying like £24, 26 for HCAs for Sundays, so basic rate is lower (or at least as at last year).
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tizzdi(m): 3:27pm On Aug 22, 2022
hello guys please any idea of living in leeds while schooling in bradford (UoB)? i’m having a hard time finding a nice studio apartment.
major concern is commuting to and fro
cc Justwise and others
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HorlarJP: 3:31pm On Aug 22, 2022
Hello everyone, a friend arrived Kent, UK some days ago and have been finding it hard to get an apartment. The landlord wouldn’t give him an apartment because he is a Nigerian and he has been spending so much on Airbnb and running out of cash. Please is there anyone in Kent here that can help him in getting an apartment or is there a way around it , and he has tried numerous website like Zoopla, RightMove and Open rent.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 3:45pm On Aug 22, 2022
I don't think it gets said enough: Getting Accomodation in UK for new arrivals is TOUGH! I stayed in Airbnb for 9 weeks and spent roughly £4k on Airbnb during that period on temporary studio apartments. And this was Naira to GBP. I was offering 6 months rent but Landlords no gree.

I don't think there's any simple solution or silver bullet. Just keep checking these sites: Rightmove, Openrent, Zoopla, Gumtree, Spareroom, etc. Then network with Nigerians and other friends cos you can get through connections in your specific area.

My two cents: other people can add.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HorlarJP: 3:56pm On Aug 22, 2022
Solumtoya:
I don't think it gets said enough: Getting Accomodation in UK for new arrivals is TOUGH! I stayed in Airbnb for 9 weeks and spent roughly £4k on Airbnb during that period on temporary studio apartments. And this was Naira to GBP. I was offering 6 months rent but Landlords no gree.

I don't think there's any simple solution or silver bullet. Just keep checking these sites: Rightmove, Openrent, Zoopla, Gumtree, Spareroom, etc. Then network with Nigerians and other friends cos you can get through connections in your specific area.

My two cents: other people can add.

Damn ! 4000 pounds on Airbnb, that’s actually very much given that you still hold naira and converting to pounds… Omoh guy is really frustrated and sad.. Things Nigerian face abroad sha.

Please if anyone is in Kent here and can help him to get an apartment, let me know. He is running out of cash already
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goddys(m): 4:05pm On Aug 22, 2022
Phelixblaq:

In UK, the sky iso wide to accommodate everybody. It's not like Nigeria where you hide valuable information for selfish purpose

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ameey: 4:32pm On Aug 22, 2022
[quote author=CheesyTee post=115929793]

Hello, have you been able to withdraw your application and reapply now?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ameey: 4:35pm On Aug 22, 2022
CheesyTee:

Oh wow. That long... I guess I'll opt for super priority. Thank you

Hello, have you been able to withdraw your application and reapply?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 4:39pm On Aug 22, 2022
tizzdi:
hello guys please any idea of living in leeds while schooling in bradford (UoB)? i’m having a hard time finding a nice studio apartment.
major concern is commuting to and fro
cc Justwise and others

Yes you can live in Leeds and commute to Bradford though it will cost you a bit unless you don't look at price tag. Its about 20mins by train and 45mins by bus. This is the wrong time to look for student accommodation as demand is very high now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ameey: 4:39pm On Aug 22, 2022
mwenhen:

Nothing yet, still waiting. I sent an email to my MP yesterday to help me check on my application. The Home office has been contacted by my MP this morning, so I’m waiting for their response.

Hi, have you gotten a decision on your application now?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustbin007: 4:42pm On Aug 22, 2022
Thank you jare. Finally settled for Kenya airways embarassed flight fares aren't smiling this period.

Tinyemeka:

You could also consider EgyptAir (slightly similar if not lower cost rates), since they provide hotels for long-layover passengers.

I trawled some forums for experiences of other travellers who had long layovers at Doha and their feedback wasn't too good.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phelixblaq(m): 4:46pm On Aug 22, 2022
Goddys:

In UK, the sky iso wide to accommodate everybody. It's not like Nigeria where you hide valuable information for selfish purpose

100 % but i have seen an agency reduce tgeir rate from £19 drastically to £11 because of impatience and behavior of our people. Ask people in Sunderland! If agency they pay well I won’t advice the young man/woman to say it openly here only inbox.
People started frustrating the said agency until they discovered how our people behave until they reduce rate till date
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 5:25pm On Aug 22, 2022
dustbin007:
Thank you jare. Finally settled for Kenya airways embarassed flight fares aren't smiling this period.

No wahala.

This period is a very taxing period to fly if you hadn't booked earlier on, because of students' rush.

Safe trip.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 5:26pm On Aug 22, 2022
Ameey:

Hello, have you been able to withdraw your application and reapply?

I am waiting for another Confirmation of Sponsorship before withdrawing
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by teeebest(m): 6:16pm On Aug 22, 2022
teeebest:

Hello Elders, I am stuck at this stage of applying for provisional license online as well. There is a compulsory place on the form to enter postcode. Since that is not applicable for a Nigerian address, I could not proceed. I have only stayed in the UK for 7 months.

Please what can I do?

I had believed applying for provisional drivers license on gov.uk is straight forward until now o. Any information on how I can go about it is appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 6:56pm On Aug 22, 2022
teeebest:

I had believed applying for provisional drivers license on gov.uk is straight forward until now o. Any information on how I can go about it is appreciated.

I don't remember clearly, but there is an option to simply select "Outside the Uk" or "Overseas", something like that and either input an address or not and move along. Look well, it definitely wasn't a problem when I did it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:38pm On Aug 22, 2022
Thanks for the update. I've been following up for sometimes now. So many workinprogress one can't track all.
Checked now. It's also official on the list, not just News.
www.gov.uk/scale-up-worker-visa
Probably Justwise might update the visa thread
[For nothing]
Three core: 1. there's an employer eligibility. @Amara already listed where to go (kindda similar to 'Tier 2' list.
2. You're bound for 6 mths and then 'set loose'!
3. Self employed/ voluntary work
PS: Search list here: www.scaleupinstitute.org.uk/scaleups/

With a Scale-up Worker visa you can:
- work in your sponsored job for at least 6 months
- leave your sponsored job after 6 months
- study
- bring your partner and children with you as your ‘dependants’, if they’re eligible
- take on additional work, including becoming self-employed
- do voluntary work
... ...

Amarathripple0:
Update! Update! Update!
The scale up visa is officially live and it’s such a welcome development - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/scale-up-visa-will-propel-high-growth-businesses

Let’s go!!!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 9:02pm On Aug 22, 2022
teeebest:

Select address outside UK and fill. That won't require postcode to be mandatory.

(1) (2) (3) ... (576) (577) (578) (579) (580) (581) (582) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.