Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,951 members, 7,810,632 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (610) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169474 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (607) (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 8:08pm On Sep 15, 2022
Peerielass:

Message me. I have one you can have for free. You will need to arrange delivery/collection.

Thanks for this. Sorry I didn’t reply. It turns out we had covid, but due to being vaccinated we didn’t have the hash feelings, only our son showed some little signs, but the coughing was the last stage of covid. we are good now.

My wife’s colleagues had covid, but didn’t say it as they didn’t want to stay home and not get paid. First it was one of the baker and then a manager. The manager declared his when the thing hold am, but my wife friend didn’t declare hers. Am writing this so that everyone will be careful. Due to the high cost of living, I think people (especially hourly paid roles) don’t declare covid because they don’t want to be asked to stay home. Also some don’t know they have it if it doesn’t break them down.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 8:12pm On Sep 15, 2022
tushqueen:

Please, how do you wash carpets (I assume you are still referring to rug)?

I have vax platinum smart wash. It’s good for washing carpets and it doesn’t consume much electricity.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phebeana: 8:21pm On Sep 15, 2022
Hello ,
Please how best can someone correct brp issues.

My brp is showing No work, ordinarily i am allowed to work in the uk.

And how long does it take please?

Is urgent
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ayowolebami(f): 8:55pm On Sep 15, 2022
Good evening house, please who is familiar with nursery schools in Manchester and how they operate?

Our daughter is resuming nursery by end of the month but we were told the school operates free 30hrs for even nursery and not from reception.

The school reps visited our apartment on Tuesday as part of their admission process and I asked them about requirement to pay for additional hours as we'll be unavailable to pick her up by 12pm from November which I expected to be the norm but the school said their school is 30hrs FREE.

I visited the school today again to reconfirm the reps that came to our place understood my questions and the person that attended to me insisted their school is subsidized for children and it's not public funds. She however said the school claims their money back from council for citizens on benefit (entitled to public funds) through their code with the council.

I'd like to know if anyone here is familiar with this "almighty subsidy" cause I laid out my cards to the school as regards to our immigration status and how we have no recourse to public funds make I no go enjoy wetin fit hook me for neck in the near future.

Is there anyone here familiar with this or has heard anything about it before? Biko epp me before I get comfortable eating poison.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adunnishugar(f): 9:02pm On Sep 15, 2022
idee91:

Hello, we’re you able to land any warehouse or remote roles ? My wife is also looking for somewhere in Birmingham.

No I didn’t
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 9:12pm On Sep 15, 2022
If you have no recourse to public funds, then you can't claim 30 hours in England. You will likely not be able to get the code required as they will check your immigration deatils when you apply. 15hrs os however for everybody.

Check this link for more details.
https://www.gov.uk/30-hours-free-childcare

Ayowolebami:
Good evening house, please who is familiar with nursery schools in Manchester and how they operate?

Our daughter is resuming nursery by end of the month but we were told the school operates free 30hrs for even nursery and not from reception.

The school reps visited our apartment on Tuesday as part of their admission process and I asked them about requirement to pay for additional hours as we'll be unavailable to pick her up by 12pm from November which I expected to be the norm but the school said their school is 30hrs FREE.

I visited the school today again to reconfirm the reps that came to our place understood my questions and the person that attended to me insisted their school is subsidized for children and it's not public funds. She however said the school claims their money back from council for citizens on benefit (entitled to public funds) through their code with the council.

I'd like to know if anyone here is familiar with this "almighty subsidy" cause I laid out my cards to the school as regards to our immigration status and how we have no recourse to public funds make I no go enjoy wetin fit hook me for neck in the near future.

Is there anyone here familiar with this or has heard anything about it before? Biko epp me before I get comfortable eating poison.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ayowolebami(f): 9:20pm On Sep 15, 2022
dupyshoo:
If you have no recourse to public funds, then you can't claim 30 hours in England. You will likely not be able to get the code required as they will check your immigration deatils when you apply. 15hrs os however for everybody.

Check this link for more details.
https://www.gov.uk/30-hours-free-childcare

Their school is saying the 30hrs is FREE for nursery as against 15hrs and not asking me for a dime/code but anyone with code will provide to the school and school will claim back their money from council as the subsidy is from the school's pocket.

This subsidy gangan is what I'm trying to clarify cause my understanding is that 2-4yrs in nursery is 15hrs free for everyone so I'm asking if anyone knows anything about the said subsidy. The woman who attended to me said she once worked in Oldham and it's 15hrs for nursery there but most schools in Manchester is 30hrs FREE even for nursery.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 9:37pm On Sep 15, 2022
Ayowolebami:

Their school is saying the 30hrs is FREE for nursery as against 15hrs and not asking me for a dime/code but anyone with code will provide to the school and school will claim back their money from council as the subsidy is from the school's pocket.

This subsidy gangan is what I'm trying to clarify cause my understanding is that 2-4yrs in nursery is 15hrs free for everyone so I'm asking if anyone knows anything about the said subsidy. The woman who attended to me said she once worked in Oldham and it's 15hrs for nursery there but most schools in Manchester is 30hrs FREE even for nursery.
I am in same situation in Salford. I am calling the council directly tomorrow. So you might want to call Manchester council too. I will ask them for an email/letter to that effect sef, so one can use in the future.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 9:39pm On Sep 15, 2022
Ayowolebami:

I’m more curious as to why a home visit is necessary for nursery admissions where you are. Is that the norm in England? Seems strange.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ayowolebami(f): 10:46pm On Sep 15, 2022
tshoboy:

I am in same situation in Salford. I am calling the council directly tomorrow. So you might want to call Manchester council too. I will ask them for an email/letter to that effect sef, so one can use in the future.

I've been calling Manchester city council for hours daily since she was offered the admission and they gave her school cardigan for free already, Dem no dey pick. I sent a mail to the school before I set out this morning but there was no response till I left the house and the admin woman confirmed the lady that attends to mails was running late and advise I forward to another email but sadly it bounced back cause it addy was incorrect and I didn't realize till I got home.

Luckily for me Sha, I dug out the correct name that was misspelled and re-forwarded the mail this evening so fingers crossed I get the response from the more senior person cause I discovered she/he is assistant principal.

I just need a mail trail for future reference too.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ayowolebami(f): 10:55pm On Sep 15, 2022
Mamatukwas:

I’m more curious as to why a home visit is necessary for nursery admissions where you are. Is that the norm in England? Seems strange.

Yes it's that particular school's practice cause my friend's daughter who has British passport was also visited at home as the final stage of the admission and she had been selected way before we came in while we were on waiting list until last Friday school called us.

I discovered from my research that the school has the authority to admit children for nursery only and they use their own style for admission process not council style. Even their new intakes don't resume till end of the month while the entire school resumed already.

Admission from reception, however, must go through the council but I doubt they do home visit for that one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 3:15am On Sep 16, 2022
I am just wondering why automatic car is so expensive in the Uk. The price difference between auto and manual is just so annoying.

Is there any other site apart from gumtree, FB market place to still compare prices?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:57am On Sep 16, 2022
Ayowolebami:

There is primary school and there is private nursery for 3 to 4 years.... most of the primary schools now are structured for the 30 hours so won't understand the 15 hours you are talking about . Also primary school won't typically allow you to pay extra for longer days, but nursery would .... although they should understand because even British people , it is not all that qualify for 30 hours . If any of the spouse is earning over 100k then they don't qualify as well

So you need to use private nursery and not primary school nursery so that you don't go against your visa restriction. ....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by opeyy(f): 6:01am On Sep 16, 2022
Akorkor:
I am just wondering why automatic car is so expensive in the Uk. The price difference between auto and manual is just so annoying.

Is there any other site apart from gumtree, FB market place to still compare prices?

Check Autotrader.

Automatic is more expensive because of availability, it is pure economics. Most Brits drive manual, therefore manual is readily available so the availability/demand ratio of autos is what makes it more expensive.

Goodluck x

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by opeyy(f): 6:06am On Sep 16, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Yes, some schools adopt this practice. They believe it helps the child settle better in school but to be honest, it is just them being nosey, British people and nosey are twins lol.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by opeyy(f): 6:12am On Sep 16, 2022
Ayowolebami:

Your best bet is to apply online via the gov website, this will tell you whether you qualify or not and it will ask all the pertinent questions. The one thing you must know is that there's no FREE in this country if you're not genuinely entitled to it because they will find out, even if it takes 20 years and they will claim that money back from you so don't see free train and jump on it, unless it is for you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 6:12am On Sep 16, 2022
Just seeing this. Thanks so much for the feedback? Deeply appreciated.
Apparently, there were autocorrect I did not take not of.
I'll update accordingly.
5gee:

I don't know if it's just me but I find your posts quite difficult to comprehend. Please for the sake of some of us, can you simplify your writing?
I have held back my request for quite a while now but couldn't help not asking as you are a regular contributor here (at least of recent).
If you don't mind, what does poke mean in this context? cry

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ayowolebami(f): 6:23am On Sep 16, 2022
LagosismyHome:

There is primary school and there is private nursery for 3 to 4 years.... most of the primary schools now are structured for the 30 hours so won't understand the 15 hours you are talking about . Also primary school won't typically allow you to pay extra for longer days, but nursery would .... although they should understand because even British people , it is not all that qualify for 30 hours . If any of the spouse is earning over 100k then they don't qualify as well

So you need to use private nursery and not primary school nursery so that you don't go against your visa restriction. ....

I just briefly googled private nursery near me and the first 6-10 places that popped up are far from us. We'd be walking a minimum of an hour to the closest when we have 3 different schools close to the house. cry

Looks like I'm going to spend the entire day on phone calling the council today to see if they have any other solution at this point cause walking an hour 20mins to school for a 3yr old is impossible cry cry

Thank you so much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 6:30am On Sep 16, 2022
Spots on. In law, emotions are outta the windows (except if "evident' in oral!). What rules are facts, evidence, logic, argumentation...
TheGuyFromHR:
Really sad case, but in terms of evidence, the summary doesnt state that the litigant presented any specific evidence of job opportunities he'd lost.
... ...
That's the kind of thing courts want to hear.
I'm not holding brief for the HO here, I'm just pointing out that the last statement in that article you cited is the most key : "Instruct a good lawyer". However, as always, "good soup, na money kill am".
ugoonuoha:
...and the govt is basically saying...nope, you don't have enough evidence. It doesn't make sense at all.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 6:45am On Sep 16, 2022
I had earlier posted this in the uk student thread, but decided to post it here if one know of a similar experience. I have a peculiar case with regards to a friend who was jailed in the canada and deported to Nigeria some 14 years ago. He has since remodeled himself and become a model citizen, raising a family. He wants to apply for a masters in the uk and intends to give full disclosure when applying for his Visa. What are his chances of getting his visa approved? Anyone know of a similar situation and gotten approval?

@LagosismyHome
@semmyk
@Lexusgs430
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ayowolebami(f): 7:13am On Sep 16, 2022
opeyy:

Your best bet is to apply online via the gov website, this will tell you whether you qualify or not and it will ask all the pertinent questions. The one thing you must know is that there's no FREE in this country if you're not genuinely entitled to it because they will find out, even if it takes 20 years and they will claim that money back from you so don't see free train and jump on it, unless it is for you.

Exactly why I'm trying my best to torchlight the answer from any and every angle. Nursery here is at the school's discretion. Manchester city council does not get involved in nursery admission for schools so we applied to all 3 schools close to the house. You go through council from reception class.

I don't even want their free offer that can come back to hound me, I just want to be able to pay for the days she'd need to stay back in school longer than 12pm and have peace of mind.

I'm going so sit on the phone all day today till I get a solution.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 7:51am On Sep 16, 2022
Santa2:

I had earlier posted this in the uk student thread, but decided to post it here if one know of a similar experience. I have a peculiar case with regards to a friend who was jailed in the canada and deported to Nigeria some 14 years ago. He has since remodeled himself and become a model citizen, raising a family. He wants to apply for a masters in the uk and intends to give full disclosure when applying for his Visa. What are his chances of getting his visa approved? Anyone know of a similar situation and gotten approval?

@LagosismyHome
@semmyk
@Lexusgs430

Nobody can tell you this to be honest .... only someone who works inside home office would know . This is so so subjective how it would play out

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:51am On Sep 16, 2022
Santa2:

@LagosismyHome
@semmyk
@Lexusgs430

Entirely up to the visa officer on the day ..........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 7:53am On Sep 16, 2022
Ayowolebami:

I just briefly googled private nursery near me and the first 6-10 places that popped up are far from us. We'd be walking a minimum of an hour to the closest when we have 3 different schools close to the house. cry

Looks like I'm going to spend the entire day on phone calling the council today to see if they have any other solution at this point cause walking an hour 20mins to school for a 3yr old is impossible cry cry

Thank you so much.

No bus in your area .... your google search can't be right. Surely all your other neighbours have small children. There usually private nursery everywhere.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:05am On Sep 16, 2022
Not sure if Justwise will permit answering here. In matters like this. I'm obidient #NotPolitics wink
Matter at hand:
- How long was the conviction for. I.e the jail term: less than or over 4 years.
- What are the factual rehabilitation steps/actions in the 14 years post deportation
- What are the tangible/reputable endeavour(s) indicative of remodeled, model citizen.

I'll try to look for unlock (dot) org position on matters like this. Your friend may also search them up.
Here is the one from Free movement ... General grounds for refusal: criminal convictions, public good, character, conduct and associations ... [url]freemovement.org.uk/general-grounds-refusal-criminal-convictions-public-good-character-conduct-associations/[/url]

The rule of thumb is that if conviction is for 4yrs or more, refusal is almost certain. However, even at that, it is not absolute. For less terms, there's still hurdles. It gets more finicky with DBS, ATAS.
NB: UK sort of interested more in #custodian period!
Most universities have units that provide guidance. Cambridge for instance www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/application-process/postgraduate-admissions-policy/postgraduate-applicants-previous-criminal
{This is not a legal opinion or advisory note in law}
Santa2:
@LagosismyHome
@semmyk
@Lexusgs430

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 9:02am On Sep 16, 2022
You can actually still use primary school nursery as not all British Citizens are entitled to 30hrs. If one of the parent is not working up to the minimum no of hours, they will not be entitled to 30hrs too.

They give both options (15 hours and 30 hrs) in my son primary school nursery.

LagosismyHome:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 9:09am On Sep 16, 2022
This will only happen if the school is getting money somewhere else apart from the government, which I sincerely doubt. So, try to confirm very well and get it in writing that it is school that is subsidizinf, not the government. See the link from Manchester Council. https://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200016/childcare_and_nurseries/7809/free_childcare_30_hours_if_your_child_is_three_or_four

Also, admission into the nursery affiliated to primary schools are usually arranged by the school not the council.
Ayowolebami:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ayowolebami(f): 10:07am On Sep 16, 2022
dupyshoo:
This will only happen if the school is getting money somewhere else apart from the government, which I sincerely doubt. So, try to confirm very well and get it in writing that it is school that is subsidizinf, not the government. See the link from Manchester Council. https://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200016/childcare_and_nurseries/7809/free_childcare_30_hours_if_your_child_is_three_or_four

Also, admission into the nursery affiliated to primary schools are usually arranged by the school not the council.

Thanks so much and thanks to everyone who contributed. I found the city council email addy in charge of early years very early this morning and sent a mail.

I got the attached as response which settles my worry at this point.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:19am On Sep 16, 2022
Santa2:

@LagosismyHome
@semmyk
@Lexusgs430

He got no choice other than to come clean about it though the reason for that jail sentence matters a lot
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obitryce(m): 10:51am On Sep 16, 2022
@ mamatukwas and co. Please I'm in need of £5k at a good rate thanks!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 12:41pm On Sep 16, 2022
semmyk:
Not sure if Justwise will permit answering here. In matters like this. I'm obidient #NotPolitics wink
Matter at hand:
- How long was the conviction for. I.e the jail term: less than or over 4 years.
- What are the factual rehabilitation steps/actions in the 14 years post deportation
- What are the tangible/reputable endeavour(s) indicative of remodeled, model citizen.

I'll try to look for unlock (dot) org position on matters like this. Your friend may also search them up.
Here is the one from Free movement ... General grounds for refusal: criminal convictions, public good, character, conduct and associations ... [url]freemovement.org.uk/general-grounds-refusal-criminal-convictions-public-good-character-conduct-associations/[/url]

The rule of thumb is that if conviction is for 4yrs or more, refusal is almost certain. However, even at that, it is not absolute. For less terms, there's still hurdles. It gets more finicky with DBS, ATAS.
NB: UK sort of interested more in #custodian period!
Most universities have units that provide guidance. Cambridge for instance www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/application-process/postgraduate-admissions-policy/postgraduate-applicants-previous-criminal
{This is not a legal opinion or advisory note in law}

Thanks a lot to everyone who answered..@semmyk that for this robust reply. The issue I personally have is that in the event he is given the visa, after his master degree if he decides to stay back and work with psw, getting a job here would be next to impossible. I was just looking to see if one know someone that have navigated through the system with similar background, Thanks a lot for all you feedback.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 12:52pm On Sep 16, 2022
The person can still get a job, but not every kind of job though. It also depends on the crime commited. A lot of ex convicts work in UK.
Santa2:

Thanks a lot to everyone who answered..@semmyk that for this robust reply. The issue I personally have is that in the event he is given the visa, after his master degree if he decides to stay back and work with psw, getting a job here would be next to impossible. I was just looking to see if one know someone that have navigated through the system with similar background, Thanks a lot for all you feedback.

(1) (2) (3) ... (607) (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: bns4eva and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.