Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,557 members, 7,837,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (667) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1201100 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (664) (665) (666) (667) (668) (669) (670) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Advision: 9:43pm On Oct 18, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Join me and invest with Freetrade. Get started with a free share worth between £3 and £200. T&Cs apply. Capital at risk.

https://magic.freetrade.io/join/oyedeji/fda60720

Boss..I have opened account smiley how much ROI can i get every month?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 9:46pm On Oct 18, 2022
koonbey:

I can't offer any insight on the subject, sorry, but I'd recommend you check the parenting in UK thread. I'd imagine there are more people who can give informed and practical advice there.
https://www.nairaland.com/7021004/parenting-uk-nigerian-migrant

Thanks for the tag

Cc: @ jum33 Ticha has dropped a really good response to this on the thread.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by midasfx(m): 9:57pm On Oct 18, 2022
Evening everyone,

Please how do I book a dental appointment? Am I expected to go through my GP?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:04pm On Oct 18, 2022
Advision:

Boss..I have opened account smiley how much ROI can i get every month?

It's in your hands and with the God's of the markets .......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:05pm On Oct 18, 2022
midasfx:
Evening everyone,

Please how do I book a dental appointment? Am I expected to go through my GP?

Nope....... Look for any NHS dentist local to you and register............
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 11:00pm On Oct 18, 2022
Hello Ancestors
Please we have an application with HO for almost 4 months now with no word whatsoever from them.At 3 months after bio we filled a complaint and no response.This is tiring now.please what can one do again to get a decision out asthis is getting too long.Anybody have any idea what can be keeping H&C visa for this super long time even though it's standard.You advise is solicited

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by progress160: 11:02pm On Oct 18, 2022
Hello guys. I have a serious issue. I arrived the UK few weeks ago. My employer wanted to give me the company car today for visiting clients and told a south African guy to accompany me to test my driving. It was quite different from the manual car i drove in naija and I had issues putting it in gear one. The guy just looked at me for close to ten minutes as I tried to put it in gear one in the roads in and afterwards he shouted on me to come down tgat that he is going to report me to the office that I can't drive. He drove to the office and worked in to discuss with the boss. My boss didn't wait to hear from me and said I have to go back to my country since I can't drive. I insisted I can drive. She said she can't enter the car to test my driving but my manager convinced her to and joined at the back. She however explained how to put it in gear one and I drove them for a short distance.

She said I should come and drive her husband round the city tomorrow to prove my driving prowess. She insisted i get a car immediately and said my case will be determined tomorrow.

I heard the SA guy is bringing his sister-in-law to the company. Don't know what to think right now or what to say to them tomorrow. I need advice
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by midasfx(m): 11:20pm On Oct 18, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Nope....... Look for any NHS dentist local to you and register............

Thanks. I’ll do that.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 11:40pm On Oct 18, 2022
progress160:
Hello guys. I have a serious issue. I arrived the UK few weeks ago. My employer wanted to give me the company car today for visiting clients and told a south African guy to accompany me to test my driving. It was quite different from the manual car i drove in naija and I had issues putting it in gear one. The guy just looked at me for close to ten minutes as I tried to put it in gear one in the roads in and afterwards he shouted on me to come down tgat that he is going to report me to the office that I can't drive. He drove to the office and worked in to discuss with the boss. My boss didn't wait to hear from me and said I have to go back to my country since I can't drive. I insisted I can drive. She said she can't enter the car to test my driving but my manager convinced her to and joined at the back. She however explained how to put it in gear one and I drove them for a short distance.

She said I should come and drive her husband round the city tomorrow to prove my driving prowess. She insisted i get a car immediately and said my case will be determined tomorrow.

I heard the SA guy is bringing his sister-in-law to the company. Don't know what to think right now or what to say to them tomorrow. I need advice

Hand on heart. Are you really sure you can drive? Is driving a major requirement for the job?

I suggest you familiarise yourself with the UK highway code and watch videos on YouTube on how to drive on UK roads.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by progress160: 11:46pm On Oct 18, 2022
Ralphlauren:

Hand on heart. Are you really sure you can drive? Is driving a major requirement for the job?

I suggest you familiarise yourself with the UK highway code and watch videos on YouTube on how to drive on UK roads.

I can drive an automatic transmission car very well but not perfect with manual. Yes it's a requirement for the job.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 11:48pm On Oct 18, 2022
progress160:

I can drive an automatic transmission car very well but not perfect with manual. Yes it's a requirement for the job.

Did you tell them this,?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by progress160: 11:56pm On Oct 18, 2022
Ralphlauren:

Did you tell them this,?

Told them I can drive both
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:15am On Oct 19, 2022
progress160:

I would suggest, you put the horse before the cart...... Because once the horse bolts, it would be too late to shut the stable doors ................. cheesy grin

You either have an automatic only or manual and automatic DL.........

It simply exposes the porous nature, of our DL regulators in Nigeria........

Don't drive, if you are not qualified to ........ The consequences could be dire ....... (With my serious hat on ).........

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 12:39am On Oct 19, 2022
progress160:

You are perfect with automatic, but trial and error with manual.

Kindly request provision for an automatic or search for one to purchase as its requirement for your job.

If you are not confident on manual, and tomorrow the woman gives you keys and say drive my husband decline[b][/b] if you must.

In the meantime take a deep breathe, and have a good sleep make fatigue no go add to tomorrow issues at hand.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by aragbaboy: 6:45am On Oct 19, 2022
WhiteWolfe:

Within or outside Nigeria?

I got mine in 10 working days

Sorry for the late reply. I applied in the UK. Still waiting.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 6:51am On Oct 19, 2022
progress160:

You should not have told them you can drive both. Let’s try to be honest with our situation. Driving with automatic is away but manual needs to be learnt. You may come out tomorrow and tell them you can drive automatic well but manual is still in phase as you are still struggling with RHD. I wish you all the best.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 6:52am On Oct 19, 2022
Oops. Hum, when CCJ metamorphose to ECJ cheesy smiley cheesy
Thanks for letting me know. I remembered someone saying I should take time to read my posts b4 and after posting them. Eish.
Lexusgs430:
OP should go to European Court of Justice........... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 7:11am On Oct 19, 2022
Hello Ancestors
Please we have an application with HO for almost 4 months now with no word whatsoever from them.At 3 months after bio we filled a complaint and no response.This is tiring now.please what can one do again to get a decision out asthis is getting too long.Anybody have any idea what can be keeping H&C visa for this super long time even though it's standard.You advise is solicited.please help please

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 7:22am On Oct 19, 2022
progress160:

abeg no go kill person for road o. If you are an automatic driver then you definetly should not be driving a manual. Even in the UK there are separate licences for that in that if you have a manual licence, you can drive both. However Automatic licence holders are only allowed to drive automatic.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:57am On Oct 19, 2022
progress160:

Don't do it.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 8:08am On Oct 19, 2022
Good Morning Everyone.

I had like to know what are the likely questions a Tier 2 dependant will be ask at the Point of Entry into the UK?

Any necessary document to hold along?

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 8:22am On Oct 19, 2022
True tok.

How can this person not know an automatic car even if you drove manual in Nigeria angry

Lexusgs430:

I would suggest, you put the horse before the cart...... Because once the horse bolts, it would be too late to shut the stable doors ................. cheesy grin

You either have an automatic only or manual and automatic DL.........

It simply exposes the porous nature, of our DL regulators in Nigeria........

Don't drive, if you are not qualified to ........ The consequences could be dire ....... (With my serious hat on ).........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 8:23am On Oct 19, 2022
Den wan nail hin coffin with DVLA ban cheesy

justwise:

Don't do it.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 8:26am On Oct 19, 2022
But in your original post you stated this below

....It was quite different from the manual car i drove in naija and I had issues putting it in gear one.

You claim to have driven manual car in Nigeria but not claiming you are not perfect with manual but drive automatic very well ...which is which naaa? I understand that with manual cars, the gear shaft numbering may differ but not too much difference. Abeg state the true position of things so people can help you before you go enter wahala

progress160:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:36am On Oct 19, 2022
bigtt76:
But in your original post you stated this below

You claim to have driven manual car in Nigeria but not claiming you are not perfect with manual but drive automatic very well ...which is which naaa? I understand that with manual cars, the gear shaft numbering may differ but not too much difference. Abeg state the true position of things so people can help you before you go enter wahala

Right hand drive manual and Left hand aren't easy to switch for some people to as you think

I am wondering why they're threatening the OP though as driving isn't exactly rocket science and can be learnt within a few weeks

Suspecting the South African guy is putting fire on his or her ass behind the scenes

smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 8:39am On Oct 19, 2022
I agree but OP contradicted him/herself in earlier post and subsequent responses.right-hand gear shaft and left hand gear shaft is only about the positioning and accessibility of the hand. But again ..make I nor tok, the car fit nor get gear numbers and positions etched on it

hustla:

Right hand drive manual and Left hand aren't easy to switch for some people to as you think

smiley

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 9:05am On Oct 19, 2022
progress160:

Is it possible to request an automatic car instead to avoid stories that touch? Unless, of course, it’s only manual cars that they own. If that’s the case, then during your drive with her husband, let him know that the shift from left to right is a bit tricky and you are still adjusting. Be friendly with him and ask for tips on how to manoeuvre the road. However, if you truly cannot drive a manual car, then please be honest so you don’t end up putting yourself, her husband, pedestrians, and other drivers in danger.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:29am On Oct 19, 2022
progress160:

Insist on the one you are good at (automatic) and let ‘em know you need to familiarise yourself with manual trans and the UK highway codes.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:36am On Oct 19, 2022
bigtt76:
Den wan nail hin coffin with DVLA ban cheesy

I'm just wondering why the agent would even consider allowing someone who is new in the UK with no licence for manual car to drive one?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:39am On Oct 19, 2022
justwise:

I'm just wondering why the agent would even consider allowing someone who is new in the UK with no licence for manual car to drive one?

That weird moment, you thought your village people no follow you enter plane........

Unbeknown to OP, then don melt enter hin bloodstream ............ cheesy

OP think say nah like 9ja, wey person go just carry motor ............ Wàhálà dey sleep, trouble wan wake am ..... grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 9:39am On Oct 19, 2022
justwise:

Don't do it.

Big time Trap!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:39am On Oct 19, 2022
ybahrbz91:
Good Morning Everyone.

I had like to know what are the likely questions a Tier 2 dependant will be ask at the Point of Entry into the UK?

Any necessary document to hold along?

Thank you

It’s hard to read the officer’s mind but I ll guess simple questions bordering on what you going to be doing in the UK and location and might take less than a minute.
Or you might just be welcomed to the UK, passport stamped and told to go.
Just keep an open mind, since you not on tier 4 with arranged POF

(1) (2) (3) ... (664) (665) (666) (667) (668) (669) (670) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.