Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,429 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (764) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176790 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (761) (762) (763) (764) (765) (766) (767) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 9:15pm On Dec 13, 2022
Pogracious:

Thank you for your advise but I said an not renewing based on the fact that I am moving to a different city.Infact these agent seems out to frustrate themselves and not me.I have told them them am leaving on Dec 17 but they say I have to give the notice and stay till Jan17.
I have also tried to reach out if we can reach a common ground but it's all brick wall.I have started paying rent in the other city as I secured the accommodation and so I need this resolved and they are not forthcoming.
Also sent mail and no response.I just don't want any litigation as I don't have money for that one month.How else can one resolve this please
Or anyone that knows a good property solicitor which can help me write this agency people for a fee.i will like to engage such solicitor.i don't like the way the agent is keeping quiet on my numerous communication.it sickening to be sending mails to an organization and they are keeping mum like ...don't pay and see what we will do.
Elders please help

You have got to give at least 1 months notice, there’s no way around it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Igbamatigbi: 9:43pm On Dec 13, 2022
Good evening, I moved into my new home and want to set up broadband, unfortunately Vodafone that I use said their network is not strong here.
I have assignments and my kids needs for their devices,all the broadband I called several services said it will take two weeks to get broadband , and I don’t want to spend Christmas with kids and no internet.

Please any idea of how to set up home internet aside using phone which is on a 20 gig plan already? Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 9:44pm On Dec 13, 2022
Congrats sis. Like play like play!! Abeg, come and wash it for us. No mind the huge money (Mortgage deposit) you paid. You will recover quickly.

fatima04:
ILR update

5years don waka, we still dey Carry go oo grin grin....... Time really does fly.
Alhamdulillah for his mercies. Just like yesterday we came and now due and successfully applied for ILR.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 10:12pm On Dec 13, 2022
phyl123:

You have got to give at least 1 months notice, there’s no way around it.

Telling the agent that I am not renewing at the end of the contract does not suffice as notice?
This response was sent to them on October,that is like 2 months notice or it must come with the word NOTICE
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 10:20pm On Dec 13, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Congratulations!! Cut soap for us cheesy

I don post am via DHL as royal mail don strike grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 10:25pm On Dec 13, 2022
dupyshoo:
Congrats sis. Like play like play!! Abeg, come and wash it for us. No mind the huge money (Mortgage deposit) you paid. You will recover quickly.

Yesso, thank you so much for the early on encouragement and assistance. Was reminiscing on our few mails during the early days of job search. God bless you abundantly.

Thank you to everyone, do appreciate it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 10:26pm On Dec 13, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Congratulations Mama!! So this thread is almost 5years old grin ! Well done Jor! Ko easy.

Yesso, thanks my sister. we need to organise get together bayii so dt all the gbas gbos can be done grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 10:32pm On Dec 13, 2022
Regex:

Please help me understand the bolded. Justwise et al

Scenario below

Assuming you came on Tier 2 Visa and the date on your visa vignette from Nigeria is 1st November 2022 you can apply 28days before 1st November 2027 (which is 5yrs after) I.e 3rd of October 2027.
Use the calculator link below or excel for your deduction to be accurate and in the case of 10 yrs route

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadded.html?d1=13&m1=12&y1=2022&type=sub&ay=&am=&aw=&ad=28&rec=

Hope it's clear and I haven't confused you further grin. You cal also find more information on gov.uk with explanation on date and absences

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lahify(m): 11:14pm On Dec 13, 2022
AlphaUno:

She ‘can’t get you’ a work visa in that sector but can do some leg work for you as per info and knocking on doors.
However, there are other visa routes you can latch onto to get here, since she’s your GF.
Intentionally start using partner in place of GF and be more committed to her - e get why.
please enlighten me more, what I meant is that her company employs carers so she said she's talk to her bosses on my behalf
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 11:31pm On Dec 13, 2022
Has anyone had some thoughts about this?

Employer gives you Health Insurance benefit (FREE) but the employee still pays PMI tax (IPT) of 12%. Sounds like a greek gift. grin

My initial thought is why tax for PMI if you're already contributing to the NI scheme and have access to the NHS. Most times the claim process for these PMI are tiring.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:59pm On Dec 13, 2022
Igbamatigbi:
Good evening, I moved into my new home and want to set up broadband, unfortunately Vodafone that I use said their network is not strong here.
I have assignments and my kids needs for their devices,all the broadband I called several services said it will take two weeks to get broadband , and I don’t want to spend Christmas with kids and no internet.

Please any idea of how to set up home internet aside using phone which is on a 20 gig plan already? Thank you

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariff/alcatel/pocket-hotspot-4g?planId=fb6cf9f0-942e-48f8-86b9-67e9112e9263:0.00:17.00&deviceTerm=24&productId=30f1d3a5-b0f5-4a70-9e05-051cd35b3de7&contractType=paymonthly#perk-section

Or search for similar.........

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 12:17am On Dec 14, 2022
please has anyone any electric heater they can recommend?

Also any experiences using electric blankets (the one that uses electricity).

I'm trying to reduce gas heating due to cost.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 1:39am On Dec 14, 2022
Chinlov:

Also any experiences using electric blankets (the one that uses electricity[b][/b]).

Thanks

Is it possible it is called electric blanket, yet uses gas?

turn things off when not in use, and off when over heated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Igbamatigbi: 1:50am On Dec 14, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MrMash(m): 2:29am On Dec 14, 2022
Hello all,

Please I got this email earlier from Home office.

The quoted reference is for my wife ( dependant), visa was approved and picked in June and we got to the UK since June .

Is this normal? Or there is an error somewhere?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maturedhustler: 2:44am On Dec 14, 2022
fatima04:
ILR update

5years don waka, we still dey Carry go oo grin grin....... Time really does fly.
Alhamdulillah for his mercies. Just like yesterday we came and now due and successfully applied for ILR.

Please you all should address me now as fatima ILR oo, shoulder pad is High now grin grin

@fatima04, congratulations to you and the family. The reward for goodness is goodness.

You as the initiator of this forum and many frequent contributors (too numerous to mention) have made many lives of UK JJC worthwhile.

ILR news is not regular and can’t just allow it slide especially for you. One good turn deserves another.

Warafanahu Monkana Alaeyha. All expenses will be replenished (Amin). We are also coming grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maturedhustler: 2:49am On Dec 14, 2022
AlphaUno:

Sorry for the late response, I have been busy.

The UK has what is called a fiscal year for some of her services eg a tax year (for 2022/2023, it’s April 6 to April 5). Probably for administrative ease.
In regard to IHS refund, it’s from 31st March or after, of the year under review.
- it’s a staggered payment, so, you only need payslip for the first 6 months and ensuring that you have worked a minimum of 16hours per week.
- yeah, your application should fly

Thanks for the response

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:49am On Dec 14, 2022
MrMash:
Hello all,

The quoted reference is for my wife ( dependant), visa was approved and picked in June and we got to the UK since June .

If you don't want early xmas present.......... Make you give UKBA my bank details, to send this refund ....... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:51am On Dec 14, 2022
Chinlov:

Also any experiences using electric blankets (the one that uses electricity).

Thanks

Best to spend money on gas heating, than receiving an electric shock, from electric blanket .......... cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MrMash(m): 4:02am On Dec 14, 2022
Lexusgs430:

If you don't want early xmas present.......... Make you give UKBA my bank details, to send this refund ....... cheesy

Lol ... I dey fear o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:03am On Dec 14, 2022
MrMash:

Lol ... I dey fear o

You dey fear money ......... grin

Refund would be sent directly to card, used in making initial payment...........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MrMash(m): 4:36am On Dec 14, 2022
Lexusgs430:

You dey fear money ......... grin

Refund would be sent directly to card, used in making initial payment...........

Boss please why would they possibly return the money? It's the full amount. The money looks good, but it's not even IHS refund.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 4:46am On Dec 14, 2022
lightnlife:
Has anyone had some thoughts about this?

Employer gives you Health Insurance benefit (FREE) but the employee still pays PMI tax (IPT) of 12%. Sounds like a greek gift. grin

My initial thought is why tax for PMI if you're already contributing to the NI scheme and have access to the NHS. Most times the claim process for these PMI are tiring.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think you are confusing Insurance Premium Tax with tax on Benefit in Kind.

Free health insurance scheme from your employer will most likely be treated as a benefit in kind and is taxable. Your employer will issue you a P11D at the end of the tax year and you will have to complete a self assessment return.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 4:51am On Dec 14, 2022
MrMash:

Boss please why would they possibly return the money? It's the full amount. The money looks good, but it's not even IHS refund.

I will keep the money ‘safe’ in a separate account for now if you feel it was refunded in error. They may be in contact again to request for it if and when they realise the error.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:03am On Dec 14, 2022
MrMash:

See me see trouble o ........ People dey fear refund again............ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 5:19am On Dec 14, 2022
How much did you pay for your dependent visa? First question you ask yourself and based on that you can deduce if they are owing you or not

MrMash:
Hello all,

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MrMash(m): 6:10am On Dec 14, 2022
bigtt76:
How much did you pay for your dependent visa? First question you ask yourself and based on that you can deduce if they are owing you or not

Student: Paid 481 as visa fee

Dependant: Paid 650 as visa fee. (They are refunding the total amount)........ Product type : PBS, Start-up, Innovator or Global Talent – Partner visa
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 6:47am On Dec 14, 2022
fatima04:

Scenario below

Assuming you came on Tier 2 Visa and the date on your visa vignette from Nigeria is 1st November 2022 you can apply 28days before 1st November 2027 (which is 5yrs after) I.e 3rd of October 2027.
Use the calculator link below or excel for your deduction to be accurate and in the case of 10 yrs route

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadded.html?d1=13&m1=12&y1=2022&type=sub&ay=&am=&aw=&ad=28&rec=

Hope it's clear and I haven't confused you further grin. You cal also find more information on gov.uk with explanation on date and absences

I was on a student visa first before changing it to a tier2. I'd start counting from the date I got my tier2 right? Not otherwise.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phil46: 9:08am On Dec 14, 2022
Hello All,

Please, I need advice on how to get accommodation around Southend on Sea, Essex. I've been staying in an Airbnb since I came on weekend. I'd be happy to hear from anyone around that can help, as well as any tips for getting one ASAP. I've been calling agents and landlords I saw online but haven't got anything yet. It's always, sorry the room has been taken or we will get back to you. The only one I saw was way above my budget, they wanted 750£ per month. I just need a room anywhere close to the University of Essex, Southend campus. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 10:07am On Dec 14, 2022
Congratulations @fatima. Just like yesterday when you created the thread, it's 5 years already. Wa fi she oun rere o.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 10:16am On Dec 14, 2022
For the 5 year route, the count starts from when you got your work visa. Time spent on your student visa isn't counted.
Regex:

I was on a student visa first before changing it to a tier2. I'd start counting from the date I got my tier2 right? Not otherwise.

(1) (2) (3) ... (761) (762) (763) (764) (765) (766) (767) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.