Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (768) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176401 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (765) (766) (767) (768) (769) (770) (771) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Schoolhike: 4:10am On Dec 16, 2022
Hello house, please I need advice about my expiring visa.

My wife had a resit and she just recently passed the module. But the issue is the school is yet to add the score to her transcript which could be used to apply for graduate visa stating that it is subject to the approval of the School Board Of Examiners and External Examiners which will comes up in January.

Our visa is expiring by jan 9 2023.

I got a job in a care home 3 months stating that they will sponsor me before the end of my visa but I was disappointed last week only to the told that the information from the headquarter that people will only be eligible for sponsorship after spending 6 months with the company.

Now we are in a tight situation whereby our visa is only 3 weeks left.

I need advice on what else I can do please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 5:25am On Dec 16, 2022
Write to the school for advise on this.

Schoolhike:

My wife had a resit and she just recently passed the module. But the issue is the school is yet to add the score to her transcript which could be used to apply for graduate visa stating that it is subject to the approval of the School Board Of Examiners and External Examiners which will comes up in January.

I got a job in a care home 3 months stating that they will sponsor me before the end of my visa but I was disappointed last week only to the told that the information from the headquarter that people will only be eligible for sponsorship after spending 6 months with the company.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:30am On Dec 16, 2022
Pogracious:
Hello Ancestors

Thanks to all that contributed to my query.it is now resolved and I will be able to leave at the expiry date.All your contributions helped.
But I also have a question to ask,the washing machine in the apartment is mine as landlord did not provide one,can I leave it behind in the apartment or it will be considered as my stuff and they will call me to come and carry later.Asking because it will be a cost uninstalling and taking to recycle and if it can be useful to the next tenant,why not?
Your advise again sirs and mas

You must take it away or make arrangements with the landlord for them to keep it, otherwise, they’ll be entitled to deduct from your deposit to dispose of it.

Your options are to 1. Ring them and discuss and agree to leaving it
2. Sell it/give it away on gumtree or FB marketplace
3. Donate it to a charity shop (only if it’s still very new-ish and high quality). Most do come take things out for free.
4. Pay for removers for take it to the tip or to your new place.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:42am On Dec 16, 2022
One of the reasons we encourage folks to always provide enough factual information. Of course, keeping away sensitive info, unneeded narrative. Fortunately, Justwise was able to decode and provide great inputs.
Stenvee:
I already asked google before coming here.
I only asked to hear from people's experience because I was not satisfied with answers from google
erico2k2:
what courses did you see on google?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Foxie: 7:44am On Dec 16, 2022
Please house, kindly recommend courier companies that can ship foodstuffs from Nigeria to the UK. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:44am On Dec 16, 2022
Lightnlife can now comprehend one of his posts (on his thread) about people giving things up for free (just by the curb)
koonbey:
You must take it away or make arrangements with the landlord for them to keep it, otherwise, they’ll be entitled to deduct from your deposit to dispose of it.
Your options are to 1. Ring them and discuss and agree to leaving it
2. Sell it/give it away on gumtree or FB marketplace
3. Donate it to a charity shop (only if it’s still very new-ish and high quality). Most do come take things out for free.
4. Pay for removers for take it to the tip or to your new place.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:13am On Dec 16, 2022
Yemsot account on page 257 might provide some ginger you need. Some others on this thread have robustly engage the international office or registrar.
bigtt76:
Write to the school for advise on this.
Schoolhike:
... ...

Yemsot:
My journey so far in the UK. (Please pardon my long epistle. This is to encourage someone.)
... ...
THE TROUBLE
When the placement was first terminated in June, I contacted the school's UKVI compliance office to inform them and to let them know that I would need an extension of my study visa (my visa was expiring in 31 December) because I had to resit the placement in the next academic session. The response I got was to wait till November before applying for the extension. When November came, my resit placement was terminated on the 12 but I still had the alternative assignment to do. Then I contacted the UKVI compliance office again for the extension of my visa. They contacted my faculty and lo and behold, the faculty said they did not have any reason to sponsor me since I would not be attending classes again. Meanwhile, I informed my department that I would need my result to be able to apply for the graduate visa, so, they told me to hand in to assignment on time so that it can be marked and the result collated. The result for that module was ready but the school's board was not going to sit on results until January 2022, whereas, my visa was expiring December 2021. The UKVI compliance office then sent me a mail telling me that they could not issue me a new CAS, also that they contacted the home office and they were told that I would not be eligible for the graduate visa because I did not gain the QTS with my PGCE, therefore, I should just go back to my country - even without having my result.

MY DILEMA
At that point I did not know what to do. I didn't want to go back home neither did I want to remain in the UK as an illegal immigrant.

RESOLUTION
... ...
5 weeks after my visa application (19 January), I got a mail from the home office, requesting for a new CAS, saying the CAS I used has been used for my previous application. I was given 10 working days to provide the CAS after which a decision would be made on my application.

DAY 1 (Wednesday): I couldn't do anything.
DAY 2 (Thursday): Started getting contacts of immigration lawyers.
DAY 3 (Friday): Contacted all immigration lawyers I knew but had the same response from them - they couldn't do anything to help me.
School's UKVI compliance office sent a mail requesting for my immigration status as my visa was to have expired in December.
During that weekend I, with the encouragement of my parents, decided to mail the school (copying everyone I could). I couldn't get the VC's email, but was able to get hold of the DVC student's email. We just thought it is either the school give a favourable response or not. In the email, I itemised my plight, starting from who I am being an international student, and how I felt during the course of my studies. I even wrote that I felt I was not being supported as an international student doing teacher training in the school. Also in my mail, I said that instead of me being informed of when my result would be ready, I was being chased with depressing emails and I felt as if the school just wanted to send me away after paying a huge sum in school fees; and I was being denied the opportunity enjoyed by international students in other universities (which is the application for the graduate visa). I informed them that I applied for an extension of my student visa and that the home office is requesting a new CAS from the school.

DAY 4 (Monday): The DVC responded to the mail, and appointed the head of the UKVI compliance and the Director of the School of Education to look into the issue as a matter of urgency.
... ...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nanidiiii: 11:13am On Dec 16, 2022
URGENT PLEASE

Hello Everyone please my sister is about to apply for her tier 2 visa inside the uk from graduate visa but she was issued a COS almost 2 months ago and it read that her start date was 11th of November 2022. She is worried that the application will be rejected because she is just applying now. The COS expires in January but she wants to apply now but is worried as her work start date has passed - she couldn't apply because she didn't have the complete money then but she has it now so wants to do it-one of our friends said it doesn't matter that as long as she applies before the COS expires she will be fine.

Also does she need to upload any information as evidence during the application like - the COS?

Is this true please because she is really worried because her current visa expires in 2 weeks and she doesnt want this one to be rejected.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:41am On Dec 16, 2022
Nanidiiii:
URGENT PLEASE

Hello Everyone please my sister is about to apply for her tier 2 visa inside the uk from graduate visa but she was issued a COS almost 2 months ago and it read that her start date was 11th of November 2022. She is worried that the application will be rejected because she is just applying now. The COS expires in January but she wants to apply now but is worried as her work start date has passed - she couldn't apply because she didn't have the complete money then but she has it now so wants to do it-one of our friends said it doesn't matter that as long as she applies before the COS expires she will be fine.

Also does she need to upload any information as evidence during the application like - the COS?

Is this true please because she is really worried because her current visa expires in 2 weeks and she doesnt want this one to be rejected.

I will say if she has all the requirements, she has nothing to fear. The COS is still valid and the job is still there so don't over think it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 12:51pm On Dec 16, 2022
Nanidiiii:
URGENT PLEASE

COS has 3 months validity I think so it's nothing to worry about. She's just switching from another valid visa so she should carry on. Put in the application right away to remain legal in the UK
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nanidiiii: 1:01pm On Dec 16, 2022
Goke7:

COS has 3 months validity I think so it's nothing to worry about. She's just switching from another valid visa so she should carry on. Put in the application right away to remain legal in the UK

Thank you does she need to upload the COS or anything else as evidence?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 1:06pm On Dec 16, 2022

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 1:10pm On Dec 16, 2022
semmyk:
One of the reasons we encourage folks to always provide enough factual information. Of course, keeping away sensitive info, unneeded narrative. Fortunately, Justwise was able to decode and provide great inputs.

yep true, well great stuff
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nanidiiii: 1:12pm On Dec 16, 2022
Goke7:

https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/documents-you-must-provide

https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/switch-to-this-visa

Thank you but she is not sure if she needs to upload her certificate from her masters in the UK for her proof of english language, COS and her tuberculosis certificate from when she first moved to the UK. Please house for those that have switched from student visa or graduate visa to tier 2 what documents did you have to upload or if you uploaded any at all.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 16, 2022
Nanidiiii:

Thank you but she is not sure if she needs to upload her certificate from her masters in the UK for her proof of english language, COS and her tuberculosis certificate from when she first moved to the UK. Please house for those that have switched from student visa or graduate visa to tier 2 what documents did you have to upload or if you uploaded any at all.

Why not just start the application and see what you're asked to upload?

After all you aren't even allowed to pay until it's complete.

Anyway, no, she doesn't have to upload TB test or proof of English or certificate - all of those are in the HO records already. She doesn't even need to upload the COS - only the reference number that she'll need to enter. The only place upload comes into play is if she's bringing dependent, in which case she'll need to show funds.

Let the person go ahead and apply. There's nothing to overthink or worry about from what you've said.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 1:27pm On Dec 16, 2022
Nanidiiii:

masters certificate is ok for proof of English, tuberculosis certificate is not necessary as it's no longer valid because the one issued in Nigeria has 6 months validity. You no longer need TB cert if you are in the UK. She surely needs COS. She can also use the IDV app to confirm her identity instead of an appointment since she's in the UK.

I sent those links because everything is so clear in there. A little reading on those sites will answer every other question, it's that simple

Just to add, even for proof of English, she doesn't need it as she already has an earlier successful student visa application where her English was already verified and evidenced by the School she attended.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 1:41pm On Dec 16, 2022
Nanidiiii:

These questions are best answered by reading the requirements. The instructions are clear but if there is anything in particular you are not clear about ask. Requirements change often and some be due to your peculiar circumstance. Don't over think things, the UK visa process is easy.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 1:43pm On Dec 16, 2022
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/igenix-ig5250-portable-convector-heater-white-10239938.html Cheap and efficient

Chinlov:
please has anyone any electric heater they can recommend?

Also any experiences using electric blankets (the one that uses electricity).

I'm trying to reduce gas heating due to cost.

Thanks

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 1:43pm On Dec 16, 2022
Schoolhike:

This is sad, my advise to anyone who has a resit, begin to pester the school for another CAS for an extension of your current student visa, once there's a resit, you automatically have a new end date so for example, if you were supposed to end in September, you will be pushed to December which is now your new end date, the school ought to issue a new CAS for you to be able to seek extension for four additional months so you can be eligible for the graduate visa route. Most schools don't want to but it's your right to trouble them till they give you a new CAS and you go ahead to apply on the home office site for an extension using the new CAS and paying for just four months of IHS along with the visa fee of 490 pounds. Some schools however are organised enough to still accommodate those who re-sit and clear them along with those who had no problems but if not seeking an extension is the way to go.

My advice now with this situation is to go to the school and start disturbing anyone who can help, emails alone will not solve this now. You got to move very fast.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 2:52pm On Dec 16, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 2:59pm On Dec 16, 2022
Schoolhike:

Your wife needs to sit on the school, she has to send out an email ASAP and copy the Dean and her programme leader. She can find the Dean’s email on her school’s website. The tone of her email needs to be emotional because that’s the language these guys understand. She should also walk into the school to ask for support on the matter and shed a few tears if need be. 3 weeks is a really short time and schools are closing so she needs to do this ASAP.

As she’s doing her part, do your own part by applying for a new care job with sponsorship. Search for care homes close to where you live and walk in to ask if they are hiring. You should also browse through indeed and filter your search to posts made within 24hours and apply to each and everyone of the jobs posted today.

Here’s one you can apply for, pay isn’t great but you can use it to buy some time.

Care Assistant - UK Applicants - Sponsorship Available Immediately
https://uk.indeed.com/viewjob?from=appshareios&jk=49e4270954ced701

All the best!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nanidiiii: 3:01pm On Dec 16, 2022
dustydee:

These questions are best answered by reading the requirements. The instructions are clear but if there is anything in particular you are not clear about ask. Requirements change often and some be due to your peculiar circumstance. Don't over think things, the UK visa process is easy.

Thank you she is filing the application form now and its asking her if she received medical treatment in the UK - she has been to her gp 3 times or so for checkup and to get birthcontrol. She is not sure if she should tick yes or no as when she ticks yes its asking her for details
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by misterkelly: 3:23pm On Dec 16, 2022
Please what documents should I self upload in the TLS site for the partner aside the int'l passport, PCC, TB, Marriage Certificate; and the children, aside the birth certificate, TB and int'l passport, parent consent letter?
2. Does the documents has any size requirements? Must it not be more than kb or can the pictures be in MB?

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ogbaba123: 3:30pm On Dec 16, 2022
This is the right thing to do. Ukvi will definitely contact you to get their money. It wasn’t your fault they didn’t request as normal

Omoluv5:
Okay, thank you so much for your response...

Meanwhile, someone is advising we go ahead with submitting the biometrics because UKVI will definitely contact us to make the IHS payment before they make decisions. How true please?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 4:15pm On Dec 16, 2022
Nanidiiii:

Her CAS is enough as proof of English language

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Konquest: 8:05pm On Dec 16, 2022
opeyy:

Please be patient with these things, all will fall in place in time. Usually, after 6 months with your mainstream bank, they will let you have their lowest (high interest) credit card. This is the case with NatWest, if you use them as your main bank account, i.e you salary and bills in and out of the account. I know barclaycard will also give you their foundation credit card after you have maintained a main bank account for 6-12m.

Your bank account also helps with your credit record so you don't necessarily need to rush to get a credit card. Take your time please because credit searches also have a negative effect on your record.

In the meantime, you can register on the electoral roll because you're from a commonwealth country, just search electoral register on google and use the gov.uk link.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 8:14pm On Dec 16, 2022
Update!

Hello guys, thanks for your responses and concerns. I replied my employer and stated some of the incidents of ill treatment, bullying and threats I received while working for them. I also told them to go ahead and report me to home office. After a couple of days, they mailed me to return my uniform and other company items in my possession. They also called to ask if I was still in the town or I had left the country. Lol. I laughed in my mind. My successful visa application mail was sent to me already. I took the items to them today. The MD came out in person to receive the items and went back in immediately. As I turned to leave, I said in my mind "good riddance".

I will be resuming work at my new place of work (a care home, no longer domiciliary care) in a couple of days.

Thanks to everyone once again for your suggestions and advice.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 8:21pm On Dec 16, 2022
Progressivegee:
Update!

Hello guys, thanks for your responses and concerns. I replied my employer and stated some of the incidents of ill treatment, bullying and threats I received while working for them. I also told them to go ahead and report me to home office. After a couple of days, they mailed me to return my uniform and other company items in my possession. They also called to ask if I was still in the town or I had left the country. Lol. I laughed in my mind. My successful visa application mail was sent to me already. I took the items to them today. The MD came out in person to receive the items and went back in immediately. As I turned to leave, I said in my mind "good riddance".

I will be resuming work at my new place of work (a care home, no longer domiciliary care) in a couple of days.

Congrats. He realised he lost his hold over you. Please in the future, never take nonsense from any employer (But be reasonable). Do the right thing and expect them to do same too, if not speak out (speak with people you trust or professionals).

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lordfiido(m): 8:51pm On Dec 16, 2022
Progressivegee:
Update!

Thank God it ended well.
I have sent a pm to you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Omoluv5: 8:51pm On Dec 16, 2022
Thanks so much for your response...

Ogbaba123:
This is the right thing to do. Ukvi will definitely contact you to get their money. It wasn’t your fault they didn’t request as normal

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Omoluv5: 8:58pm On Dec 16, 2022
Thanks so much, note added already, i'm grateful!

justwise:

Regarding the error your husband made.. add a note to the application during appointment to call the ECO attention to it , the IHS will be sorted out by ECO the moment they noticed it and you will be sent a link to make the payment..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Omoluv5: 9:05pm On Dec 16, 2022
I'm hopeful they'll see it as an error following the note attached to it as Justwise advised... Thank you

Viruses:

I'm more concerned about the error if the VO will see it as an error or mis-representation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (765) (766) (767) (768) (769) (770) (771) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.