Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,904 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:55 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (769) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1171143 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (766) (767) (768) (769) (770) (771) (772) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Omoluv5: 10:06pm On Dec 16, 2022
Oh really? Even though we mentioned that the applications are from outside the UK? I never knew about this...
Thank you.

fatima04:

This seems to be the norm with in-country application. They will send an email for IHS top up fund when the application is being evaluated
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 10:42pm On Dec 16, 2022
Thanks for snapping me off the confusion.

You're correct. IPT is paid by the insurance company while benefit in kind tax is what employees pay for their PMI.

With that point clarified, my question was understanding the rationale behind taxing employees on their company PMI because companies brandish PMI as part of benefits only for the employees to be taxed on it again. Sounds like greek gift.

Will appreciate your insight.

Peerielass:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think you are confusing Insurance Premium Tax with tax on Benefit in Kind.

Free health insurance scheme from your employer will most likely be treated as a benefit in kind and is taxable. Your employer will issue you a P11D at the end of the tax year and you will have to complete a self assessment return.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 10:45pm On Dec 16, 2022
Progressivegee:
Update!

Hello guys, thanks for your responses and concerns. I replied my employer and stated some of the incidents of ill treatment, bullying and threats I received while working for them. I also told them to go ahead and report me to home office. After a couple of days, they mailed me to return my uniform and other company items in my possession. They also called to ask if I was still in the town or I had left the country. Lol. I laughed in my mind. My successful visa application mail was sent to me already. I took the items to them today. The MD came out in person to receive the items and went back in immediately. As I turned to leave, I said in my mind "good riddance".

I will be resuming work at my new place of work (a care home, no longer domiciliary care) in a couple of days.

Thanks to everyone once again for your suggestions and advice.

praiiiiiseeee the Lord!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 10:52pm On Dec 16, 2022
Nope.

Wise stopped accepting Nigerian cards or sending money to Nigerian accounts.

Iamfavored:

Is this still valid?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 10:54pm On Dec 16, 2022
grin You go like fight.
grin grin grin

bigtt76:
I thought you said Friday? You still left him till Monday? angry

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 12:11am On Dec 17, 2022
I was ready to buy the fight travel go down to execute am

lightnlife:
grin You go like fight.
grin grin grin

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:18am On Dec 17, 2022
AgentXxx:
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/igenix-ig5250-portable-convector-heater-white-10239938.html Cheap and efficient

This thing dey chop electricity, like tinubu dey chop all our naira.......... wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:37am On Dec 17, 2022
Any Architects in the house? A friend is a senior architect and has years of experience. He’s looking to practice in the UK and is wondering if there’s a process to convert/verify his Nigerian degree to the UK equivalent so he can to become a certified architect over here. He has both a BSc and Master’s degree in Architecture. He was told by someone over here that he has to start from scratch and understudy with a certified architect for two years before he can become a level 1 Architect. This to me doesn’t sound right, any insight on this would be helpful please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Grace321: 12:51am On Dec 17, 2022
Please if you switch visa sponsorship to another employer, will the 5 years to ILR start to count all over again or continue counting?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by azubix(m): 1:05am On Dec 17, 2022
Please help a brother. I worked for this guy for one week as a construction labourer and I told him I can't continue due to the weather, that the weather is affecting my health. He said if I stopped working he won't pay me, I thought he was joking oh. This is more than 4 weeks now, I have been asking this guy for my money. He said I bridged contract. We signed no contract. It was even when I told him I am stopping that he said it's a 12month job. To end every talk, he told me to get a doctor's report to prove health and he will pay me. I went to gp, they said it will take 6months.

Before I started the job, the only discussion about the job we had was that he sent me pictures of what they do and I told him it's something I will love so. Its in open field so when we started I began to see that the cold is killing. This is my first outdoor job in the uk so I didn't really imagined it will be that cold. I respected him and worked till Friday.

Please what ways can I use to get my money. Are there other legal ways to get a doctor's report? If I get a doctor's report from Nigeria will it serve?

Finally, please did I really do anything wrong? Do I really have to present a doctor's report to be paid?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ogbaba123: 1:38am On Dec 17, 2022
bad for both parties to not have a contract before resuming work

azubix:
Please help a brother. I worked for this guy for one week as a construction labourer and I told him I can't continue due to the weather, that the weather is affecting my health. He said if I stopped working he won't pay me, I thought he was joking oh. This is more than 4 weeks now, I have been asking this guy for my money. He said I bridged contract. We signed no contract. It was even when I told him I am stopping that he said it's a 12month job. To end every talk, he told me to get a doctor's report to prove health and he will pay me. I went to gp, they said it will take 6months.

Before I started the job, the only discussion about the job we had was that he sent me pictures of what they do and I told him it's something I will love so. Its in open field so when we started I began to see that the cold is killing. This is my first outdoor job in the uk so I didn't really imagined it will be that cold. I respected him and worked till Friday.

Please what ways can I use to get my money. Are there other legal ways to get a doctor's report? If I get a doctor's report from Nigeria will it serve?

Finally, please did I really do anything wrong? Do I really have to present a doctor's report to be paid?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maturedhustler: 2:11am On Dec 17, 2022
[quote author=The MD came out in person to receive the items and went back in immediately. As I turned to leave, I said in my mind "good riddance".

I will be resuming work at my new place of work (a care home, no longer domiciliary care) in a couple of days.

Thanks to everyone once again for your suggestions and advice.
[/quote]

Congratulations but have you collect your last pay the company doesn’t want to pay or have dashed them?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lahify(m): 7:21am On Dec 17, 2022
AlphaUno:

Yes, she should be able to help with the company she works for, if they issue sponsorship.
thanks a bunch

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:19am On Dec 17, 2022
You could perhaps get hands-on assistance from the General UK visa thread - https://www.nairaland.com/6969367/general-uk-visa-enquiries-part
There's another for work visa and another for students visa.

PS: when posting there, kindly provide more clarity. All the best.
misterkelly:
Please what documents should I self upload in the TLS site for the partner aside the int'l passport, PCC, TB, Marriage Certificate; and the children, aside the birth certificate, TB and int'l passport, parent consent letter?
2. Does the documents has any size requirements? Must it not be more than kb or can the pictures be in MB?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:20am On Dec 17, 2022
Let's hope for an architect to come along to provide insights?
In the meantime, using my engrg background, I went checking and came up with the following
The body that regulates architecture in the UK is the ABA - https://arb.org.uk/
The official register is collated at https://architects-register.org.uk/

As with anything else in the UK, starting point is the gov site.
To become an architect - www.gov.uk/architect
Process, qualifications, exams - https://arb.org.uk/architect-information/applying-for-registration-for-the-first-time/i-hold-overseas-non-recognised-uk-qualifications/

See: www.gov.uk/government/organisations/architects-registration-board

While still in 9ja, let your friend join this institute.
www.architecture.com/join-riba
Pls note just as in engrg, the regulatory body is different from the professional body.

Being a senior architect in 9ja, what registration does (s)he holds and with of the body does (s)he belongs to in 9ja?

My personal view
Anyone that is a qualified architect in 9ja (Nigerian Institute of Architects (NIA) Professional Practice Examination (PPE)) should not have it that difficult following the UK ARB route (above).
NB: I still think though that there should be some sort of cross recognition (like we have in engrg like the Washington Accord et al). In any case, 9ja allows those formally qualified in their own country to 'skip' the qualification requirement towards PPE (as I understand it) PS: I'm not an architect!!!

Let your friend join RIBA as an Associate - www.architecture.com/join-riba/associate-membership
Move to the UK to do a recognised PG course in Arch, while simultaneously working towards chartered
Or attempt doing a Professional Practice PG Cert/PG Dip in Arch on part time while in 9ja and working towards chartered membership of RIBA
All the best
Amarathripple0:
Any Architects in the house? A friend is a senior architect and has years of experience. He’s looking to practice in the UK and is wondering if there’s a process to convert/verify his Nigerian degree to the UK equivalent so he can to become a certified architect over here. He has both a BSc and Master’s degree in Architecture. He was told by someone over here that he has to start from scratch and understudy with a certified architect for two years before he can become a level 1 Architect. This to me doesn’t sound right, any insight on this would be helpful please.
[UPDATED]
Found what I was hoping for. A direct process to becoming chartered. I'll assume, just like for engrg, it's not going to be a walk in the park but should be straightforward for one that is genuinely qualified and practicing professionally.
Applying for RIBA Chartered Membership via MEAP - www.architecture.com/join-riba/individual-chartered-membership/meap

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:13am On Dec 17, 2022
semmyk:
In the meantime, using my engrg background, I went checking and came up with the following

Process, qualifications, exams - https://arb.org.uk/architect-information/applying-for-registration-for-the-first-time/i-hold-overseas-non-recognised-uk-qualifications/

Pls note just as in engrg, the regulatory body is different from the professional body.

Being a senior architect in 9ja, what registration does (s)he holds and with of the body does (s)he belongs to in 9ja?

My personal view
Anyone that is a qualified architect in 9ja (Nigerian Institute of Architects (NIA) Professional Practice Examination (PPE)) should not have it that difficult following the UK ARB route (above).
NB: I still think though that there should be some sort of cross recognition (like we have in engrg like the Washington Accord et al). In any case, 9ja allows those formally qualified in their own country to 'skip' the qualification requirement towards PPE (as I understand it) PS: I'm not an architect!!!

Let your friend join RIBA as an Associate - www.architecture.com/join-riba/associate-membership
Move to the UK to do a recognised PG course in Arch, while simultaneously working towards chartered
Or attempt doing a Professional Practice PG Cert/PG Dip in Arch on part time while in 9ja and working towards chartered membership of RIBA
All the best

[UPDATED]
Found what I was hoping for. A direct process to becoming chartered. I'll assume, just like for engrg, it's not going to be a walk in the park but should be straightforward for one that is genuinely qualified and practicing professionally.
Applying for RIBA Chartered Membership via MEAP - www.architecture.com/join-riba/individual-chartered-membership/meap

Why stressing yourself........... grin

RIBA president, is a Nigerian....... Send muyiwa a message and seek information.......... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:18am On Dec 17, 2022
Grace321:
Please if you switch visa sponsorship to another employer, will the 5 years to ILR start to count all over again or continue counting?

Continues counting
smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:36am On Dec 17, 2022
semmyk:

My personal view

All the best

[UPDATED]
Thank you so much, I’ve shared this information with him. I really appreciate you taking out time to collate this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:39am On Dec 17, 2022
This one is for all my experienced product managers in the house. The salary is fantastic!
Check out this job at Wise: Group Product Manager - Global Spend Operations
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3402863275
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:45am On Dec 17, 2022
Lexusgs430:

RIBA president, is a Nigerian....... Send muyiwa a message and seek information.......... wink
Lol thanks o, he has sent him a request on LinkedIn. Fingers crossed!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bostin(m): 2:16pm On Dec 17, 2022
azubix:

Is this job in the British Channel Island ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Grace321: 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2022
Okay thanks

hustla:

Continues counting
smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thastie(f): 3:03pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexusgs430:

This thing dey chop electricity, like tinubu dey chop all our naira.......... wink

Curry?
Chai, and I have a voucher from them worth £800 to purchase electronic gadgets
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thastie(f): 3:07pm On Dec 17, 2022
Hi guys.

I want to buy a bus ticket for a friend travelling from Heathrow airport to Manchester. Will I snap the ticket and send to her on WhatsApp or what?
Please help
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 3:39pm On Dec 17, 2022
Thastie:
Hi guys.

I want to buy a bus ticket for a friend travelling from Heathrow airport to Manchester. Will I snap the ticket and send to her on WhatsApp or what?
Please help

If you are buying from national express then the ticket will be sent to your email, so you just forward it to your friend
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thastie(f): 4:16pm On Dec 17, 2022
justwise:

If you are buying from national express then the ticket will be sent to your email, so you just forward it to your friend

Thank you so much
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 7:38pm On Dec 17, 2022
justwise:

Has the husband left Canada/America and return back to Nigeria?

No
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:34pm On Dec 17, 2022
You see know. Na so the Bible also talk am ... in the multitude of (wise) counsel, there's safety. Ko ba hakaba

Thank Lexusgs430, I actually had it penned down getting one of my architect friends for further (inside) info. With your insightful info, no need for that again. Thanks Nagode sose
Lexusgs430:
RIBA president, is a Nigerian ....... Send muyiwa a message and seek information.......... wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 9:50pm On Dec 17, 2022
Does anyone have any reviews on Renault (Kadjar) cars? I find them really affordable so trying to look for the downside.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gloriouscrown: 10:04pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Hello Chief, please which one would you recommend.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 10:35pm On Dec 17, 2022
lightnlife:
Thanks for snapping me off the confusion.

You're correct. IPT is paid by the insurance company while benefit in kind tax is what employees pay for their PMI.

With that point clarified, my question was understanding the rationale behind taxing employees on their company PMI because companies brandish PMI as part of benefits only for the employees to be taxed on it again. Sounds like greek gift.

Will appreciate your insight.

I’m afraid there’s not much you can do about it, it’s the law of the land we live in. Any non-cash payment that forms part of your remuneration package that is not wholly, exclusively and necessary for the performance of your contractual duty is a benefit in kind and is taxed accordingly.

If you are a basic rate tax payer, the tax would be 20% of the insurance premium. You can compare that with the actual cost of arranging the insurance yourself and see if you are better off getting it through the company. If you also have a company vehicle where there is significant private use, you will also need to pay tax on it.

If that’s the only thing you need to declare to HMRC, I would suggest completing your tax return by yourself once you receive your P11D. It’s pretty straightforward to do so online.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 10:53pm On Dec 17, 2022
Wow thanks for the heads up and thank God I haven't ordered it yet...

Lexusgs430:

(1) (2) (3) ... (766) (767) (768) (769) (770) (771) (772) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.