Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,792 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (772) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177742 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (769) (770) (771) (772) (773) (774) (775) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Anitaamich: 2:53am On Dec 20, 2022
Please can someone recommend Nanny agencies in Birmingham. I don’t want live in, just someone that can come when needed. I’ve seen some on google but I want recommendation based on experience. Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Halleend101: 6:31am On Dec 20, 2022
semmyk:
Parenting in the UK might be a good place on coping with children. https://www.nairaland.com/7021004/parenting-uk-nigerian-migrant
@Mamatukwas new member don land. Make una show the rope

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:32am On Dec 20, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Oh bummer! Sorry about that. It’s no biggie, there are a lot of customer service jobs that offer 20 hours a week and also remote and I did that for months.

Please o, can you point me in the direction of those jobs?

I need remote customer service jobs abeg!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 7:58am On Dec 20, 2022
Can anyone recommend a good and affordable data analysis bootcamp that provide the much needed training as well as internship job experience and ready to give the required support till you secure your dream job and also have strong network in the job market
I have been checking some of them online ( 1.Masterschool-should be the best with juicy offer of paying tuition only when you land a job but too expensive @ £11000, 2. Careerera- cheap but bad online review can't afford to waste time and money o ,others :AIcore ,pitmann etc )
Abeg I need recommendation from our fellow naija that must passed through this same process .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 8:43am On Dec 20, 2022
jum33:
Can anyone recommend a good and affordable data analysis bootcamp that provide the much needed training as well as internship job experience and ready to give the required support till you secure your dream job and also have strong network in the job market
I have been checking some of them online ( 1.Masterschool-should be the best with juicy offer of paying tuition only when you land a job but too expensive £11000, 2. Careerera- cheap but bad online review can't afford to waste time and money o )
Abeg I need recommendation from our fellow naija that must passed through this same process .
Co asking for someone with Mathematics background. Boot Camp for data science or data analysis.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 12:19pm On Dec 20, 2022
jum33:
I have been checking some of them online ( 1.Masterschool-should be the best with juicy offer of paying tuition only when you land a job but too expensive @ £11000, 2. Careerera- cheap but bad online review can't afford to waste time and money o ,others :AIcore ,pitmann etc )
I recently saw High Impact academy. I have not tried them but you can have a look. There's also CYI consulting and other bootcamps based in Nigeria. I doubt any of them will give you all that you have rquested but should be a good starting point. I went through CYI and got decent training but struggled with the job search aspect as I did not have a "real life" project I could speak to convincingly during my interview.
In the end, you have a very big part to play and the key is being able to speak the language and ability to relate the skills to your experience.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 12:47pm On Dec 20, 2022
dustydee:

I recently saw High Impact academy. I have not tried them but you can have a look. There's also CYI consulting and other bootcamps based in Nigeria. I doubt any of them will give you all that you have rquested but should be a good starting point. I went through CYI and got decent training but struggled with the job search aspect as I did not have a "real life" project I could speak to convincingly during my interview.
In the end, you have a very big part to play and the key is being able to speak the language and ability to relate the skills to your experience.
Getting the real life work experience and the job market networking through your training bootcamp is actualling main koko of what we are really paying for not those theoretically class o that one can easily get for free on youtubes,cousera etc ( i actually have up to 2 coursera certification on data analysis done free of charge ) .I have already done my research on the job market a realize that for UK JJC like some of us that is newly trying to oneself into tech in UK , you need to get the UK work experience before anyone can consider you for the dream job ,the competition is very stiff .So any training outfit that cannot guarantee internship work experience of up to 6 month for their candidate at least is waste of time and resource .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:55pm On Dec 20, 2022
So I asked OP to dm cos I assumed she was almost done with Uni and wanted to share some insight. But check out this link below, you should find a number of part time customer support roles posted today. your CV has to have customer support/advisor on it though. Also check out concentrix, capita, novacroft and Natwest's website. They are always looking for part time customer support workers.
https://uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=customer+service+advisor&sc=0kf%3Ajt%28parttime%29%3B&fromage=1&vjk=36b7586fdfedd49c

hustla:

Please o, can you point me in the direction of those jobs?

I need remote customer service jobs abeg!

Shorty2022:
I am interested in the 20 hrs customer service job.
Please put me through
Thanks
tobbyoladejo:
Please can I send a PM about this too?
Genset:

Please, I am interested. Can I message you privately? Thanks in advance.
shawrygal:

Good morning. Please am interested in this. Hope can you help me

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 1:05pm On Dec 20, 2022
jum33:

Getting the real life work experience and the job market networking through your training bootcamp is actualling what we are really paying for not those theoretically class o that one can easily get for free on youtubes,cousera etc ( i actually have up to 2 coursera certification on data analysis) .I have already done my research on the job market a realize that for UK JJC like some of us is newly trying to oneself into tech in UK , you need to get the UK work experience before anyone can consider you for the dream job in tech,the competition is very stiff .So any training outfit that doesnt guarantee internship work experience of up to 6 month at least is waste of time and resource .
Why not just volunteer? I honestly do not think you should pay these guys your hard earned money for that UK experience when you can get the same "UK experience" by volunteering and the recruiters won't even know it's a voluntary role. As a volunteer, I only spent 10 hours a week working on their projects and it didn't affect my studies nor my regular job and it was fully remote. Anyway, that's what I did and it helped me.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:58pm On Dec 20, 2022
Amarathripple0:
So I asked OP to dm cos I assumed she was almost done with Uni and wanted to share some insight. But check out this link below, you should find a number of part time customer support roles posted today. your CV has to have customer support/advisor on it though. Also check out concentric, capita, novacroft and Natwest's website. They are always looking for part time customer support workers.
https://uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=customer+service+advisor&sc=0kf%3Ajt%28parttime%29%3B&fromage=1&vjk=36b7586fdfedd49c

Thanks

I appreciate

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tobbyoladejo: 2:02pm On Dec 20, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Oh bummer! Sorry about that. It’s no biggie, there are a lot of customer service jobs that offer 20 hours a week and also remote and I did that for months.
Please can I send a PM about this too?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 2:50pm On Dec 20, 2022
Amarathripple0:

https://uk.indeed
Indeed should make you a brand ambassador grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Iyeura(m): 3:30pm On Dec 20, 2022
Hello guys, pls can someone point me to the right direction in getting an SVQ pls. I'm in Scotland. Been working as a support practitioner for 3 months. I want to do an NVQ/SVQ before applying for any NHS HCA role. Pls how do I go about getting an SVQ. Pls I'm also looking for mentors
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 3:36pm On Dec 20, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Why not just volunteer? I honestly do not think you should pay these guys your hard earned money for that UK experience when you can get the same "UK experience" by volunteering and the recruiters won't even know it's a voluntary role. I only spent 10 hours a week working on their projects and it didn't affect my studies nor my regular job and it was fully remote. Anyway, that's what I did and it helped me.
Hmmm ,you actually made a good point . Though I have done some digging on searching for volunteering positions on data analyst role on indeed but couldnt get anything tangible and I start feeling it more like a network thing that I might need to sacrifice some money to get myself launched into ,might be wrong though .As a jjc in UK with a very tight budget with no money to waste I will really appreciate iif I can get someone to point me to the right direction on getting something similar to this without paying anyone for training again
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 4:34pm On Dec 20, 2022
davide470:
Indeed should make you a brand ambassador grin
grin E reach oh! Indeed and LinkedIn helped my life in this YouKay!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 4:37pm On Dec 20, 2022
jum33:

Hmmm ,you actually made a good point . Though I have done some digging on searching for volunteering positions on data analyst role on indeed but couldnt get anything tangible and I start feeling it more like a network thing that I might need to sacrifice some money to get myself launched into ,might be wrong though .As a jjc in UK with a very tight budget with no money to waste I will really appreciate iif I can get someone to point me to the right direction on getting something similar to this without paying anyone for training again

Check out the following sites.
https://datakind.org.uk/volunteer-with-us/
https://reachvolunteering.org.uk/opportunities-solr
https://www.volunteermatch.org/
https://www.catchafire.org/volunteer/data-analytics/
https://rss.org.uk/membership/volunteering-and-promoting/current-volunteering-opportunities/

Also speak to your lecturers at your Uni, they might have something for you. Not sure what your current CV looks like but if your current role says something like this - "Lagos, Nigeria" then please take it out. GoodLuck

20 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 4:52pm On Dec 20, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Also speak to your lecturers at your Uni, they might have something for you. Not sure what your current CV looks like but if your current role says something like this - "Lagos, Nigeria" then please take it out. GoodLuck

cheesy cheesy If your CV mention Central Bank Nigeria nkor? Would you take it out? Just kidding

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 4:53pm On Dec 20, 2022
Akorkor:

cheesy cheesy If your CV mention Central Bank Nigeria nkor? Would you take it out? Just kidding
Another angle Lol.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 5:07pm On Dec 20, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Another angle Lol.

In other world, you may not be able to remove Nigeria from your CV if the Industry carries weight. smiley. But please dont put Lagos, Nigeria or Sokoto, Nigeria in your CV as she has previously mentioned. Gracias
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 5:13pm On Dec 20, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Check out the following sites.
https://datakind.org.uk/volunteer-with-us/
https://reachvolunteering.org.uk/opportunities-solr
https://www.volunteermatch.org/
https://www.catchafire.org/volunteer/data-analytics/
https://rss.org.uk/membership/volunteering-and-promoting/current-volunteering-opportunities/

thanks for the links , I really appreciate ,I actually worked with some couple of multinationals ( mtn,Huawei ) , while in naija though not present role ,guess the multinationals can be included in my cv .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 5:31pm On Dec 20, 2022
I just checked my British Airways Avios and it's currently at 97,000! And this is all just from using the AMEX card for 5 months, well most should be from people I referred.

With 97k points, I just noticed I could fly free of charge to anywhere in the world with Qatar Airlines, American Airline, BA and some other 10 Airlines or so.

Not a bad deal, since I haven't spent a single down payment for a roasted corn interest. Yeah, I just use for groceries and pay in full monthly, no interest or fees ever.

My link is below, let me keep accumulating these points.

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/jEDIDAcKK3?XL=MNANS

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 5:32pm On Dec 20, 2022
jum33:

thanks for the links , I really appreciate ,I actually worked with some couple of multinationals ( mtn,Huawei ) , while in naija though not present role ,guess the multinationals can be included in my cv .
You can put any company on your CV, I was referring to the location and not the company. Also please, my advise isn’t the only way oh, what works for A might not work for B. All the best!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 5:33pm On Dec 20, 2022
I need to quote this long post I made just to be sure you read it.

Solumtoya:
So Credit Cards (CCs) are one of the best Credit Tools you can have but yes, like every good thing, it does have its dangers.

Most folks here are trying to build Credit Score and to be very honest, CCs are the easiest way to do so. There are so many other ways, of course, and you should do them: Registering in the Electoral Register, Setting up Direct Debits for Utility Bills, Phone/SIM Contracts, etc but from experience since these are not Credit facilities, they may not boost your score as much as a CC.

The rules of CC usage are simple: ensure you pay at least the minimum balance (usually 10% of your usage as at the statement date). So if your cycle is 1st to 30th of every month, on the 30th, you get a statement saying you have used £2,000 and you are given a grace period (typically extra 14 to 23 days) to pay back 10% or more, and whatever balance is unpaid, interest will be charged to the card after the grace period. During this grace period, the next cycle has obviously started running. And the next month balance will sum of what you spent in the month, plus the unpaid balance from the previous month and the interest added. IF YOU DON'T PAY THIS MINIMUM, YOU HAVE DEFAULTED.

Now, the main reasons why CCs are a brilliant facility are evident:
1. Their Interest-free periods means you can use them without ever paying interests: to do this, you must pay everything in full as the interest only starts counting on the unpaid balance after the grace period. An exception is usually Cash Withdrawals, Interest on Cash Withdrawals start counting immediately. Another evil trick of Cash Withdrawal is usually that their interest is higher. There's another evil of Cash Withdrawals but it might be a little technical to explain in this post. Just avoid Cash Withdrawals if you don't want interest
2. CCs are revolving, meaning they are like Overdrafts, not Term Loans, so if I have a limit of £6k, when I spend it and repay, my full limit is re-instated, so I don’t need to re-apply (ever) unless I void the contract. 3. Rewards: Most CCs earn you Miles, Points, etc for usage and referrals.
4. Fees: Many CCs come with little or no extra fees to the Cardholder. I could go on and on.

So, pretty much, you can use your Debit Card for only Cash Withdrawal and use Cash for non-Card payments, while you use your CC for everything else and pay little or no interest while building your credit score.

Now, as beautiful as it sounds, in my 7 years as a Credit Card Product Manager, I have seen so many people wallow in heavy credit card debts. The truth is most humans are not just disciplined enough to handle such an allowance of funds. They deep their hands into it at the slightest opportunity and end up living above their means. CCs are very addictive so don't get a CC if you love to spend, the CC provider would love you and keep increasing your limit and you may land in a gloomy state: you earn just £2k monthly and are given a £6k CC, as you spend and spend, they keep increasing the limit and before you know it, you have a £20k CC fully spent on that Funeral you sponsored in Oshogbo and that trip to Turkey. How will you pay You break the card and start paying back £600 monthly, but that covers only the interest and the amount is NOT reducing every month. You realize you are stuck and have fallen for our trap and that is how we make our interest income and cover for those who are using the card wisely.

I'm sorry this post was really long, I even had to cut this short because I could go on and on about the benefits of CC (purchase protection, chargeback, acceptance, etc), the financially wise know this and hardly ever use Debit Cards but enjoy the benefits of a CC. The financially foolish use CCs to have fun for a few years or months and spend the rest of their lives as slaves to it. The choice is yours!

EDIT: For those who want the easy-to-get AMEX card with NO FIXED fees, you can use my referral link below. You get points for British Airways flights and Holiday bookings:

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/jEDIDAcKK3?XL=MNANS

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Shorty2022: 5:39pm On Dec 20, 2022
Thank you
Amarathripple0:
So I asked OP to dm cos I assumed she was almost done with Uni and wanted to share some insight. But check out this link below, you should find a number of part time customer support roles posted today. your CV has to have customer support/advisor on it though. Also check out concentric, capita, novacroft and Natwest's website. They are always looking for part time customer support workers.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 5:42pm On Dec 20, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 7:26pm On Dec 20, 2022
Iyeura:
Hello guys, pls can someone point me to the right direction in getting an SVQ pls. I'm in Scotland. Been working as a support practitioner for 3 months. I want to do an NVQ/SVQ before applying for any NHS HCA role. Pls how do I go about getting an SVQ. Pls I'm also looking for mentors

Other cities ?

Check local colleges around you.

In Glasgow?

https://www.glasgowclyde.ac.uk/courses/223015-svq-social-services-and-healthcare-level-7/3268

Read through the requirements

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 7:45pm On Dec 20, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:19pm On Dec 20, 2022
Solumtoya:
I need to quote this long post I made just to be sure you read it.

cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 9:31pm On Dec 20, 2022
jum33:

Probably best to start by applying for smaller roles in this field to get your foot in the door. Once you gain the basic UK experience and knowledge required, you can scale up to bigger roles.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 11:41pm On Dec 20, 2022
davide470:
How much Avios would the person you refer get?

1,000 and another 5,000 so about 6k as welcome bonus, if I still remember
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 12:02am On Dec 21, 2022
tushqueen:
What if it's a case of overstaying in Canada or America, then the wife got a job in the UK, will this implicate the man? Just relating it to a case I have at hand.

I will appreciate useful inputs from anyone

Information is power.
Regularising your stay in Canada is as difficult as UK; whereas, with a good immigration lawyer, it’s quite easy in US.
I know a family of five (all entered US together with hubby on a visiting visa while wife was on student visa accompanied by the kids) who initially sought asylum with the excuse of FGM on new born baby and subsequently regularise their stay - now with nice jobs and a mortgage to go with it. All these happened in less than 5 years.
Another lady who is divorced used same Immigration lawyer and now has her papers after overstaying for 2 years.
Meanwhile, many are there in US still running from the law and hoping another Democratic govt will do what Obama did in 2013 and grant amnesty.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 12:10am On Dec 21, 2022
Pogracious:
Hello Ancestors

Thanks to all that contributed to my query.it is now resolved and I will be able to leave at the expiry date.All your contributions helped.
But I also have a question to ask,the washing machine in the apartment is mine as landlord did not provide one,can I leave it behind in the apartment or it will be considered as my stuff and they will call me to come and carry later.Asking because it will be a cost uninstalling and taking to recycle and if it can be useful to the next tenant,why not?
Your advise again sirs and mas

Be business minded and talk to your LL, he might just decide to pay you some small quids on the WM.

(1) (2) (3) ... (769) (770) (771) (772) (773) (774) (775) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.