Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,881 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:05 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (800) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1170517 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (797) (798) (799) (800) (801) (802) (803) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 9:00pm On Jan 07, 2023
Nice one. Don't mind the Monzo werey ...they bounced me too and I went same route as you did for 1.

Boya make you try my AMEX referral https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/tEMItOhbvx?XL=MNANS - you get 6000 Avios once you are approved and you spend up to $1000 within 3 months.

You can use the card to pay your utility bills though its advisable you use below 25% of your approved credit limit to boost your credit scores.

Was it the landlord that pressured you into paying 6 months rents in advance instead of monthly?

LaXxOnebody:
Okay

Monzo bounced me.

1. So I opened a Lloyds Classic, Revolut & Monese (both basic accounts).

2. No credit card yet. I'm going to be shopping for one soon.

3. I paid 6 months of rent at once via a transfer from my Lloyd's. I just pad British Gas via Direct Debit for Electricity & Gas on the 26th of December. Phone & Internet will come on live this January.

Water bill.is on my wife's account. I also just registered and got confirmation of being on the electoral register.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ogbaba123: 9:14pm On Jan 07, 2023
My wife got 5 months paid leave just 3 months after joining a company with option to extend it for 12 months. I believe it all depends on the company/ policy

Osoderi:
Hello house pls I want to confirm if companies in UK allows ones to take unpaid leave.

my friend in U S A took about four months unpaid leave from work to take care of her child and she was given and she still retained her job. so I want to confirm if one can do it here in the UK without been sacked.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adebayo82: 9:24pm On Jan 07, 2023
Please I need an info or link to secure tier 2 sponsorship job for maintenance Engineer. I want to switch from tier 4 to tier 2 visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 9:42pm On Jan 07, 2023
bigtt76:
Nice one. Don't mind the Monzo werey ...they bounced me too and I went same route as you did for 1.

Boya make you try my AMEX referral https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/tEMItOhbvx?XL=MNANS - you get 6000 Avios once you are approved and you spend up to $1000 within 3 months.

Y[b]ou can use the card to pay your utility bills th[/b]ough its advisable you use below 25% of your approved credit limit to boost your credit scores.

Was it the landlord that pressured you into paying 6 months rents in advance instead of monthly?

. How are u using this to pay your utility bills? How did you set up direct debit with AMEX?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 9:48pm On Jan 07, 2023
Your utility company should have card payment option and for that you use your AMEX card. On your bank you setup Direct Debit to repay AMEX

mex551:
. How are u using this to pay your utility bills? How did you set up direct debit with AMEX?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LaXxOnebody(m): 9:49pm On Jan 07, 2023
1 High Street - Lloyds
2 Digis - Revolut & Monese

Tolzeal:

Are these Main Street banks or digital banks ? I received quite good inflow as-well but checking with ClearScore isn’t as up to that.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LaXxOnebody(m): 9:58pm On Jan 07, 2023
It was the letting agency, because 'I had no UK roots', despite providing a UK homeowner guarantor. But I've loaded it now on Credit Ladder.

Omo I don't think I'd be able to spend £1k in 3 months!

bigtt76:

You can use the card to pay your utility bills though its advisable you use below 25% of your approved credit limit to boost your credit scores.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by brine(m): 10:15pm On Jan 07, 2023
hustla:

He can sign up for 10,000 Black interns (Paid) or Cyblack (Unpaid) when the new cohort is out

He can also check GRCAfriq (Unpaid )on Twitter for a new cohort if he is interested in Governance, Risk and Compliance in IT

smiley

Bookmarked. Thank you smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tolzeal(m): 10:33pm On Jan 07, 2023
Newbie123:
Hi guys,

Please would it raise flags if I received like £9000 in my account?

I want to sell some USDT.

I use revolut, monzo and Lloyds just incase it would make any difference.

Please help.

Thanks

Split it up, don't take all in at once.
I'd recommend you use Revolut, It's my most preferred since binance have that option, that makes it even easier.

- Confirm that the buyer has done quite good amount of transactions with 90+ success rate in rating.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:44pm On Jan 07, 2023
brine:

Bookmarked. Thank you smiley

wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 10:55pm On Jan 07, 2023
Why do these barbers only take cash?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 10:59pm On Jan 07, 2023
Tawak:
Please, does anyone have knowledge of passport tracking? I applied in November 2022 and opted for the special delivery envelope option, but I am yet to receive my passport.

@Tawak..Same scenario for me. Did mine 18th of November 2022 not gotten mine yet. Thank God for the link from bigtt76, At least I was able to see that its been produced so I should be expecting it soon.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chikadibia21: 11:25pm On Jan 07, 2023
Many of them actually know next to nothing about Africa. While on placement, one young carer asked if he would have to cross a boat to get to Africa. It didn't stop there ooo, I kept being hounded by questions about monkeys and if we had fruits and nice things in Africa. I kept answering until I literally got exasperated...Like how wouldn’t you even know? I have also been in a class where some students didn't know that Africa is a continent of several countries...I can go on and on ooo...Lol

I honestly believe that the educational system here needs to do better. They know more other continents than ours. The media also does not help in it's negative portrayal of Africa.

Sorry for the long post biko...This matter don dey vex me since

hustla:

LOL

I believe they ask intentionally foolish questions. They literally have the internet on their mobile phones
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 11:41pm On Jan 07, 2023
Ralphlauren:

Are you planning to get your score to 100000?

You are just stressing yourself for nothing.

The higher range credit score takes years to achieve and there are several factors that impact achieving that high score.

Applying for multiple lines of credit will not increase your credit score. It will either stagnante your score or decrease it. Instead stick to one line of credit (maximum 2), maintain excellent account usuage and work on increasing your credit limit for each line of credit. Imagine having a limit of £16,000 on amex, what other credit card am I looking for again

You can get a mortgage with your existing score. Lenders look at a lot of factors and not necessarily your credit score. I have seen new immigrants (those on tier 2) without credit cards get mortgages within a year in this country and in one example, one of the named individuals on the mortgage application (spouse) wasn't even on the electoral roll.

The underwriters look at a lot of factors- your occupation, employer, how long you've been employed, how far you are from retirement age, affordability, outgoings, number of dependents, account usage, income, etc.

This is why is a good mortgage broker is worth their weight in gold. They can package your application to the underwriters highlighting all the positive factors and mitigating any risks or concerns that the underwriters might raise.

Please what do you mean about credit line?
Base on your experience here which of the credit line will you suggest.thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chikadibia21: 11:45pm On Jan 07, 2023
This also happened to me in a history class which was supposedly meant to celebrate black history. The teacher kept dwelling on how blacks were slaves to the whites. The students kept staring at me like I was some modern-day slave

This might not be the same experience for everyone though.

Goke7:

It's the pictures they usually show them about Africa are the primary reason for such questions, My wife has worked as an assistant teacher and the pupils were once shown videos about poverty in Africa, my wife said immediately they started looking at her kind of like having pity on her cos to them she must have passed through such. Pictures, Pictures, Pictures pass stronger messages.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 12:06am On Jan 08, 2023
My wife is billed to pay her 50% school fees by April (7k) so from the mail I saw where students can apply for loan to pay the balance and pay later. Is it advisable for international student looking at the pof we have done before entry .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 12:06am On Jan 08, 2023
Tolzeal:

Split it up, don't take all in at once.
I'd recommend you use Revolut, It's my most preferred since binance have that option, that makes it even easier.

- Confirm that the buyer has done quite good amount of transactions with 90+ success rate in rating.

Thanks bro
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 12:13am On Jan 08, 2023
pheranmie:

Please what do you mean about credit line?
Base on your experience here which of the credit line will you suggest.thanks

Different "lines" of credit include but not limited to:
1.Credit cards
2 Store cards. E.g. argos
3. Overdrafts from personal bank accounts
4. Personal loans
5."Buy now pay later" .eg. klarna
6. PayPal credit

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 12:15am On Jan 08, 2023
eniola1010:
Why do these barbers only take cash?

Tax "planning/efficiency" reasons grin

They collect £10,000 in cash but only bank/declare less than half of it during their self assessment to reduce their tax liability with HMRC.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 12:30am On Jan 08, 2023
Ralphlauren:

Different "lines" of credit include but not limited to:
1.Credit cards
2 Store cards. E.g. argos
3. Overdrafts from personal bank accounts
4. Personal loans
5."Buy now pay later" .eg. klarna
6. PayPal credit

I tried this klarna I didn’t know how to go about it

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 1:05am On Jan 08, 2023
JaySterling:
Hi guys, I just moved to the UK In October for my PHD with my wife and 2 kids. I’m the main applicant and wife is dependent.

My two younger brothers are also coming in February for their masters with their wife’s
and kids

The 3 of us are planning on buying a property which would serve as a family house for 3 of us our wife’s and kids, instead of paying multiple rent.

We jointly have about 18M in Nigeria
Please can this be enough to serve as a down payment for a bungalow where we can spread the balance over the years in a mortgage plan.

Also, we are planning on putting all the funds (18M) into one account and send it to UK via form A. Would this be possible?

Please can someone advise me on the process for all this and guide us on what best to do to avoid mistakes

It is not impossible however some big factors first;
1. Your locations are already fixed so unless it's somewhere very cheap up in the North East or in the middle of nowhere in Wales, you'll need more than N33m in deposit. Will you all be in the same city or very, very close to each other location wise?
2. You'll need a house rather than a bungalow. Aim for former HMOs. They're perfect for situations like this.
3. You will need time. Aim for at least 9 months from now.

Now to the nitty gritty -

It is possible but will take you a good 9 to 12 months to achieve if your brothers are not here yet.
You will need a good deposit (many hands make light work too!), be prepared for 15% and above for the deposit. The higher the deposit, the better your chances.
You all will need clean credit reports - no debts, no applying for every credit under the sun etc
Transfer the money to the UK and keep hold of your Nigerian bank statements for AML checks
You good need a good job - majority of lenders will do 4.5 x income so that gives you an idea of what you might be able to afford
You will need upto 6 months payslips
Read up on how to structure house purchases - tenants in common etc (https://www.farrer.co.uk/news-and-insights/uk-residential-property-structures-what-are-my-options/)
Discuss and agree an exit strategy for all of you
Stamp duty is applied on purchases over 425k for first hoe buyers so you should be all good as joint first home buyers
Find a broker - a very good broker can do and undo when it comes to financing property purchases
Be prepared to pay higher than normal interest rates
If you know any families that already live like that, have a chat with them as to the reality (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, some Jamaicans live communally)

So work out locations, then cost of at least a 5/6 bedroom house in that location, how much deposit you need and set out time frames for hitting that deposit amount.

Have clear discussions around how it will work having all of you in the same house. Discuss boundaries, routines, must haves, cannot tolerates etc. The longer the must have and cannot tolerate list, the more difficult it will be.

Good luck! And kudos to you all for thinking outside the box!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ecalistus(m): 1:37am On Jan 08, 2023
Please am in London incase you have or anyone here has link forany job opportunities in London.
hustla:

Where in the UK are you?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 4:29am On Jan 08, 2023
Wow werey agency. You can still sign up for the card, not a just you should spend up to that in 3 months, just a bonus. The less you spend the better your credit score.

LaXxOnebody:
It was the letting agency, because 'I had no UK roots', despite providing a UK homeowner guarantor. But I've loaded it now on Credit Ladder.

Omo I don't think I'd be able to spend £1k in 3 months!

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nineville(m): 5:43am On Jan 08, 2023
Tawak:
Please, does anyone have knowledge of passport tracking? I applied in November 2022 and opted for the special delivery envelope option, but I am yet to receive my passport.

...try this:

https://track.immigration.gov.ng/

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 7:21am On Jan 08, 2023
tobbyoladejo:

Please, I got caught suddenly in rain a few weeks ago with my passport on me, and when I discovered it at home, part of the passport photograph on biodata page has become cloudy. The passport was supposed to expire in like 15 months from now. Can I just apply for renewal, pay for 10 year passport and schedule capture in London? I'm asking because on the Nigeria high commission website in London, I'm seeing postal order of £250 for damaged passport, whereas it's £20 for renewal. Not sure if it is a mistake or that's how it is. Please kindly advise, as that's what is delaying my Schengen visa application right now.

You don’t renew until 6 months to expiry
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:04am On Jan 08, 2023
Ecalistus:
Please am in London incase you have or anyone here has link forany job opportunities in London.

shocked

London? Jobs full everywhere naw. Haba

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 8:05am On Jan 08, 2023
AlphaUno:

You don’t renew until 6 months to expiry
With Nigeria, all things are possible. I've done it before some years back but mine was less than a year validity.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:19am On Jan 08, 2023
hustla:

He can sign up for 10,000 Black interns (Paid) or Cyblack (Unpaid) when the new cohort is out

He can also check GRCAfriq (Unpaid )on Twitter for a new cohort if he is interested in Governance, Risk and Compliance in IT

smiley

I can't emphasise the bolded enough.

10,000 black interns is an EXCELLENT program and if you get in and perform well, you can be reasonably certain of a permanent role - based on the experience of a few of my friends.

Might not apply to the OP because the last application cycle is closed till around July or so next year but anyone who's looking for an internship or even a route to a permanent role in top firms should definitely apply whenever its open.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:33am On Jan 08, 2023
Adebayo82:
Please I need an info or link to secure tier 2 sponsorship job for maintenance Engineer. I want to switch from tier 4 to tier 2 visa.

The only links you need are Indeed, LinkedIn, and other job boards, to find jobs in your field and apply to them.

As for info; make sure your CV and LinkedIn profile are of a high standard and if possible, pass it through an ATS test to increase your chances of passing through the initiation screening stages. Also try to reach out to the recruiters of the companies you're applying to via LinkedIn so they take a closer look at your application.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:49am On Jan 08, 2023
koonbey:

10,000 black interns is an EXCELLENT program and if you get in and perform well, you can be reasonably certain of a permanent role - based on the experience of a few of my friends.

Might not apply to the OP because the last application cycle is closed till around July or so next year but anyone who's looking for an internship or even a route to a permanent role in top firms should definitely apply whenever its open.

Nationwide Bank served me breakfast yesterday.

Waiting for Lloyds bank and one other place. Hopefully, I'll get in. One of the guys I know who took the internship and currently works at Lloyds said I shouldn't worry and they'll call me as they increased their quota by a bit

Fingers crossed smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:01am On Jan 08, 2023
hustla:

Nationwide Bank served me breakfast yesterday.

Waiting for Lloyds bank and one other place. Hopefully, I'll get in. One of the guys I know who took the internship and currently works at Lloyds said I shouldn't worry and they'll call me as they increased their quota by a bit

Fingers crossed smiley

Best of luck bro! I'm confident you'll get in. It can be quite competitive but I know that the team works to push applications behind the scenes.

You can also look into joining SEO London. Their Beyond Barriers program just opened.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:57pm On Jan 08, 2023
koonbey:

Definitely checking this out

Is it free? Closed till July next year or this year?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (797) (798) (799) (800) (801) (802) (803) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.