Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,454 members, 7,830,251 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (852) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1192889 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (849) (850) (851) (852) (853) (854) (855) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 4:21pm On Feb 16, 2023
There is need to stop this conversion of a thing from both sides. £40 per month for UK residents is not equivalent to N40,000 for those living in Nigeria.

Mroriginal:
However high it can be, can it be up to NGN 100,000 per month?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Focus99: 4:44pm On Feb 16, 2023
Student on a tier 4 visa is considered for this overdraft (£1500) yea?

seyejohn94:

Yes, it may be worth considering switching to a different type of account now that you are no longer a student. Student accounts often come with special features and benefits, such as interest-free overdrafts(1500 for Barclays) , which may not be available with regular current accounts. By switching to a different account, you may be able to find better features and benefits that are more suited to your current financial situation and needs. You can also contact their service center.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Focus99: 5:24pm On Feb 16, 2023
Is it possible for one to save £20k for a year to ISA account?

ukay2:

l de tell you....l asked the guy if he has maxed out his £20k ISA account for NYSE stocks as April is fast approaching and he said he has not opened the ISA account l told him to open since January 2022 and cannot save anything because of the car financing taking out £600 per month for the next 4 years. He has learnt his lessons (101)....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Treadway: 5:51pm On Feb 16, 2023
jesmond3945:

Ok thank you.
Now let me school you.
When you pay 548 pounds a year thats 48 pounds per month. Thats half day of work pay.
What do you get
Unlimited water. You can leave your water and go and sleep. Nothing like everyday pumping of water.
You get clean purified water. You can even drink the water. Nothing like buying pure water.
You get heatable water for washing plates
Your poo is taking care of nothing like soakaway.
Anybody complaining of bills in Uk should take the first flight back to nigeria. Enough said.
lol. I would think the person you should be quoting directly is the one who came to complain about the bills and ask for help na. Na that person really need this enlightenment.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 6:13pm On Feb 16, 2023
jesmond3945:

Ok thank you.
Now let me school you.
When you pay 548 pounds a year thats 48 pounds per month. Thats half day of work pay.
What do you get
Unlimited water. You can leave your water and go and sleep. Nothing like everyday pumping of water.
You get clean purified water. You can even drink the water. Nothing like buying pure water.
You get heatable water for washing plates
Your poo is taking care of nothing like soakaway.
Anybody complaining of bills in Uk should take the first flight back to nigeria. Enough said.

You're wasting your time. These fellows are known for trolling UK pages to say how folks are suffering. UK people are also funny and indulge such people in their ignorance. A resident who saves £10k every year in his ISAs will be responding to you: "we're suffering o" because of a £30 water bill. I never forget the day Ticha schooled one of them when he was saying she's unable to save and build a house like her mates in Naija.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:14pm On Feb 16, 2023
So wetin you con de find for this thread? Troll?

Munamoqel:
the sumu is solar powered bought for 12o k now 8 years old .me not dey check water usage up and down too busy to worry about water and electricity bill
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:04pm On Feb 16, 2023
igbsam:
Elders, United Utilities don comot sleep from my eyes, abeg £584.08 for the period of 31.03.2023 to 31.03.2024 coupled with £299.91 that i am still trying to clear before 31.03.2023. eleyi o wa poju bayi. Isn't this too much ? How can i go about it ? Is too much ke. For ordinary water o. Any tweak to this thing ? Edakun o. When i called to complain, they said the bill is being charged on the size of the property. 2 bedroom apartment o with only me and my wife. I told them we're just 2 in the house. They said its not about the number of people living in the house, but the size of the property. I just weak. And i noticed one thing about these UK customer care services and this cuts across all services being rendered when you call them to complain about something, instead of them to solve that issue or give you a solution that would favour you, they would rather tell you their own reasons why you should pay the amount they're charging you and you have to pay. Next thing you go hear na say "What's your name for us to set up direct debit" shey you dey whine me ni, na because of direct debit i call ni abi una wan strangulate my life and pocket.

That is high even without water meter, my water bill is less than £25 a month for a 3beds property, the problem with water companies is lack of competition in that sector else water bill will be a lot cheaper. Keep writing and calling them until they bring it down

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 7:13pm On Feb 16, 2023
Solumtoya:

You're wasting your time. These fellows are known for trolling UK pages to say how folks are suffering. UK people are also funny and indulge such people in their ignorance. A resident who saves £10k every year in his ISAs will be responding to you: "we're suffering o" because of a £30 water bill. I never forget the day Ticha schooled one of them when he was saying she's unable to save and build a house like her mates in Naija.
grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 7:51pm On Feb 16, 2023
igbsam:
Elders, United Utilities don comot sleep from my eyes, abeg £584.08 for the period of 31.03.2023 to 31.03.2024 coupled with £299.91 that i am still trying to clear before 31.03.2023. eleyi o wa poju bayi. Isn't this too much ? How can i go about it ? Is too much ke. For ordinary water o. Any tweak to this thing ? Edakun o. When i called to complain, they said the bill is being charged on the size of the property. 2 bedroom apartment o with only me and my wife. I told them we're just 2 in the house. They said its not about the number of people living in the house, but the size of the property. I just weak. And i noticed one thing about these UK customer care services and this cuts across all services being rendered when you call them to complain about something, instead of them to solve that issue or give you a solution that would favour you, they would rather tell you their own reasons why you should pay the amount they're charging you and you have to pay. Next thing you go hear na say "What's your name for us to set up direct debit" shey you dey whine me ni, na because of direct debit i call ni abi una wan strangulate my life and pocket.
Oga stop complaining , £584.08 for the period of 31.03.2023 to 31.03.2024 is mere £48 per month not even up to half of working hours in a day.
That is the same reason why things are not working in nigeria ,everybody wants good life but dont want to be commited and responsible ,that is fraud of the highest order

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:54pm On Feb 16, 2023
jum33:

Oga stop complaining , £584.08 for the period of 31.03.2023 to 31.03.2024 is mere £48 per month not even up to half of working hours in a day.
That is the same reason why things are not working in nigeria ,everybody wants good life but dont want to be commited and responsible ,that is fraud of the highest order

What exactly are you on about?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:27pm On Feb 16, 2023
justwise:

That is high even without water meter, my water bill is less than £25 a month for a 3beds property, the problem with water companies is lack of competition in that sector else water bill will be a lot cheaper. Keep writing and calling them until they bring it down

Well, it depends. The average water (and sewage) bill in England and Wales is about £503 which is £42 monthly which is exactly what I pay and I have a meter. Your £25 may not be the norm. His £48 monthly is only slightly high especially without a meter

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 11:04pm On Feb 16, 2023
To change the name on her passport in the UK, she needs her old passport, NIN with the new name she wants to change to, and a letter from you the husband about the change of name. Newspaper publication not needed.
For bank name changes, BRP/Passport in the new name and marriage certificate are okay; for all other name change purposes, BRP/Passport, Marriage certificate, and an utility bill in your name will usually suffice.
No need to change if you don't really want to though.
Sinchester:

Yes, we have all that is needed. We did the publication and all that before leaving Nigeria. We just didn't have enough time to do the change before leaving for the UK. Be like na to leave am like that jare. make she dey use her maiden name dey go.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 11:11pm On Feb 16, 2023
jum33:

what are you saying ? do i have a pool in my house to use such amount ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 11:11pm On Feb 16, 2023
justwise:
[/b]

What exactly are you on about?

are you minding him ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by claremont(m): 11:45pm On Feb 16, 2023
justwise:

The property size is one minor factor, but the family size is the main factor. I pay £50 a month for water for a family of 4. It used to be £42 until they recently increased it because, apparently, my water meter is indicating high usage. I think the figure is correct, we use a lot of water in the house. It might be only Grant Shapps that can spend only 4 mins in the shower after a hard days job, most people who do long hours will spend longer.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:16am On Feb 17, 2023
claremont:

The property size is one minor factor, but the family size is the main factor. I pay £50 a month for water for a family of 4. It used to be £42 until they recently increased it because, apparently, my water meter is indicating high usage. I think the figure is correct, we use a lot of water in the house. It might be only Grant Shapps that can spend only 4 mins in the shower after a hard days job, most people who do long hours will spend longer.

When you watch that expensive warm water, making it's way through your drains ......... That's liquid gold wasting away........🤣😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:17am On Feb 17, 2023
igbsam:

Do you have soak in the bath or you use bucket & bowl .........😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:20am On Feb 17, 2023
Sinchester:

Yes, we have all that is needed. We did the publication and all that before leaving Nigeria. We just didn't have enough time to do the change before leaving for the UK. Be like na to leave am like that jare. make she dey use her maiden name dey go.

Why do you want her to change her name or why does she want to change her name........

All that wàhálà for wetin, biko ........🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:48am On Feb 17, 2023
claremont:

When i was living alone in one bedroom house my water bill was £16 a month with no meter but now family of 4, bigger property, the same water company, the same post code area and my bill is £24 a month with meter.

Though i think you are right regarding the usage factor, i just logged on to my online account to check our usage and i saw this: You are a super water saver. Let's keep working together

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:57am On Feb 17, 2023
Solumtoya:

Well, it depends. The average water (and sewage) bill in England and Wales is about £503 which is £42 monthly which is exactly what I pay and I have a meter. Your £25 may not be the norm. His £48 monthly is only slightly high especially without a meter

Its down to usage, the size of property argument used by these water companies does not cut it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 9:15am On Feb 17, 2023
You might not know but the amount of water you consume with each or dish washing after every meal or shower or flushing of the toilet after every pee amounts to something.

There's a reason why some restaurant don't rinse plates after wash, they wipe or why some household loads up dishwasher for days before turning on. In some public places you find out that the urinals are not water flush-able but it uses air ...everything for this country now na sense ooo cheesy

igbsam:

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 9:59am On Feb 17, 2023
jum33:

You are speaking from a place of ignorance.

Elon Musk will not go to a supermarket and buy a bottle of water for a hundred thousand pounds because he can afford it.

My water bill average around £150/annum and I'm still looking for a way to bring it down.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OptimisticK: 10:02am On Feb 17, 2023
Good morning.

I am a female coming to Cardiff month end.

I am looking for a temporary female roommate, a room in a shared apartment or a spare room in a flat for a month or 2.

If available, please let me know your price, thanks in advance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:15am On Feb 17, 2023
justwise:

Its down to usage, the size of property argument used by these water companies does not cut it.

I agree, but you have to know that the easiest way to estimate usage is by property size. Some companies use number of occupants but it's typically unreliable because people never notify them when the occupants increase. With size of property, they can give a median occupant number without relying on your honesty.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:18am On Feb 17, 2023
justwise:

When i was living alone in one bedroom house my water bill was £16 a month with no meter but now family of 4, bigger property, the same water company, the same post code area and my bill is £24 a month with meter.

Though i think you are right regarding the usage factor, i just logged on to my online account to check our usage and i saw this: You are a super water saver. Let's keep working together

Now you're talking, you must be a real super saver cos I use £40 roughly on my account for a family of approx 4 and I really don't waste water just normal usage.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:24am On Feb 17, 2023
Viruses:

You are speaking from a place of ignorance.

Elon Musk will not go to a supermarket and buy a bottle of water for a hundred thousand pounds because he can afford it.

My water bill average around £150/annum and I'm still looking for a way to bring it down.

It's quite interesting though to see you're using £13. We learn everyday. Are you single though or is this for a family?

Justwise with a family of 4 using £24 monthly. Quite impressive, maybe some of us need to learn a thing or two from y'all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (849) (850) (851) (852) (853) (854) (855) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.