Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,373 members, 7,829,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (853) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1192698 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (850) (851) (852) (853) (854) (855) (856) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:24am On Feb 17, 2023
Solumtoya:

I agree, but you have to know that the easiest way to estimate usage is by property size. Some companies use number of occupants but it's typically unreliable because people never notify them when the occupants increase. With size of property, they can give a median occupant number without relying on your honesty.

Size of property shouldn't be used because sometimes not all rooms in a property are occupied but we have seen where 3-4 people share one room, this is very common in Eastern European and Asian communities. If the size of your family increased the water company will know whether you tell them or not because your usage level will go up.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:33am On Feb 17, 2023
Viruses:

You are speaking from a place of ignorance.

Elon Musk will not go to a supermarket and buy a bottle of water for a hundred thousand pounds because he can afford it.

My water bill average around £150/annum and I'm still looking for a way to bring it down.

That is really impressive to be honest, i'm not sure i can go any lower
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:40am On Feb 17, 2023
justwise:

Size of property shouldn't be used because sometimes not all rooms in a property are occupied but we have seen where 3-4 people share one room, this is very common in Eastern European and Asian communities. If the size of your family increased the water company will know whether you tell them or not because your usage level will go up.

I agree with you. But they won't know cos these folks don't have meters. If they had meters, there will be no need for estimates unless I'm missing something.

That "3-4 in a room" family will still tell the water company that the entire 5 bedroom is occupied by 3 people. The Water Company will prefer using the 5-bed average usage in the area instead cos it provides a better estimate than relying on the integrity of the information by the occupants.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:42am On Feb 17, 2023
justwise:

That is really impressive to be honest, i'm not sure i can go any lower

I had to go look at my account now. I use about 10 cubic meters monthly which is about 300 liters per day
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:51am On Feb 17, 2023
Solumtoya:

I had to go look at my account now. I use about 10 cubic meters monthly which is about 300 liters per day

We use half of that a day, though i'm hardly at home on week days
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 11:02am On Feb 17, 2023
justwise:
[/b]

Cool! My wife and I both work from home most days. With gym, there's always loads of laundry too, so there are factors but I will definitely push that 300 liters down jor.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Focus99: 11:51am On Feb 17, 2023
Gurus in the house put mouth for this please🤗

Please one of my family friend is in serious need of answers to these questions: She is a dependent with 2 kids. The MA is already in the UK. She applied for their own visa today from Nigeria and someone was suppose to help her pay from the USA but when the person was about about to pay, the went straight to Visa payment without IHS and the person paid with IHS. Please what can she do to be able to pay for IHS
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 12:36pm On Feb 17, 2023
@Justwise ,I threw it to the house about average electricity comsumption per day for an average 2 bedroom flat but you deleted the post ,This kept me wondering how that kind of educative post that alot will still learn from in this period of ever increasing electricity tariif hurt the forum in any way ,or is by mistake it was deleted .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 1:19pm On Feb 17, 2023
Hi guys. I recently changed my prepaid gas and electric meter to post paid. EDF said I can choose to pay an estimate of £233 monthly for both gas and electric or they can use my meter readings to charge through direct debit. Abeg which is better?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 1:46pm On Feb 17, 2023
[b][/b]
jum33:
@Justwise ,I threw it to the house about average electricity comsumption per day for an average 2 bedroom flat but you deleted the post ,This kept me wondering how that kind of educative post that alot will still learn from in this period of ever increasing electricity tariif hurt the forum in any way ,or is by mistake it was deleted .

When did I delete your post? I have checked back to Dec last year but I did not see any deleted post by me or any other mod
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 1:52pm On Feb 17, 2023
justwise:
[b][/b]

When did I delete your post? I have checked back to Dec last year but I did not see any deleted post by me or any other mod
no probs i will repost
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harddrive2012: 1:57pm On Feb 17, 2023
Good afternoon,

Please I really need help with Accomodation. Currently in Airbnb apartment in Airdrie, Scotland and my booking expires in two days time(Sunday). Anyone that can share an apartment or you know any flat/apartment available for rent around Lanarkshire, Motherwell or even Glasgow please 🙏. I’ll gladly pay for that before AirBnb carry all my money go where I no know. I’m a guy please. Thank you 🙏
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 2:34pm On Feb 17, 2023
Scotland people, hope you're all safe.

Heard of the waves and power outage affecting over 30,000 homes. shocked

Northern Ireland people, is anyone here meeting Rishi today? 😄
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 3:21pm On Feb 17, 2023
Progressivegee:
Hi guys. I recently changed my prepaid gas and electric meter to post paid. EDF said I can choose to pay an estimate of £233 monthly for both gas and electric or they can use my meter readings to charge through direct debit. Abeg which is better?
Go for the direct debit option which should be lower and try to reduce your energy consumption within the first 6 months of review... I use Uswitch and Hugo App to monitor our electricity consumption and it has helped track high/low consumption patterns and where to make adjustments.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 3:36pm On Feb 17, 2023
lightnlife:

Heard of the waves and power outage for over 30,000 homes.

We are doing well o. E no reach our side (Scottish Islands)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 3:39pm On Feb 17, 2023
davide470:
Go for the direct debit option which should be lower and try to reduce your energy consumption within the first 6 months of review... I use Uswitch and Hugo App to monitor our electricity consumption and it has helped track high/low consumption patterns and where to make adjustments.

Okay thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 3:55pm On Feb 17, 2023
Progressivegee:

They're really one and same. If you pay an estimate, you will still balance up someday. I always prefer any payment method that involves frequent meter readings so you pay as you use but you won't get constant charges, it will keep swinging with your usage
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nelsmannnnnnnnn(m): 4:59pm On Feb 17, 2023
Dear Ancestors,

Please, to the ancestors based in Manchester, I would appreciate your advise on an approach to get a full time job here in Manchester.

I don apply tire with regret mails or some form of excuses not to hire. I have even on different occasions fine tune my CV just to meet job requirements but no success still. I had to even start applying for care assistant jobs but most of them ask for a car and driving license. Where I want see car when I'm still new in the city.

Please any tips would be really appreciated. Abeg!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 5:53pm On Feb 17, 2023
jum33:

no probs i will repost

Your allegation is false.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 6:37pm On Feb 17, 2023
lightnlife:

Heard of the waves and power outage affecting over 30,000 homes. shocked

Power Outage no reach my side here o.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:05pm On Feb 17, 2023
Hclinton:
Thanks. I just went through it. My question is it's my dependant that is working as carer, pls the phrase below is not clear " If you’re eligible, your dependants can also get a refund. You must include them in your application".
If my dependant is applying for refund, will it cover me the primary applicant who is a student and will her own also cover for the children. Thanks

When you get to that bridge you ll cross it, as the application is simple and straightforward. All of you will be included in primary applicant’s application via your IHS
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 10:41pm On Feb 17, 2023
Solumtoya:

It's quite interesting though to see you're using £13. We learn everyday. Are you single though or is this for a family?

Justwise with a family of 4 using £24 monthly. Quite impressive, maybe some of us need to learn a thing or two from y'all.

@virus, please what are you doing to keep water bill at 150pa.
Please help me ooo as I currently pay 51pm.they said am using over 500 lites/day for a family of four.
I have tried to economize my water usage and no way
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 10:47pm On Feb 17, 2023
justwise:
[/b]

How do you use 150litres/day .You people should enlighten me pls
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Agbekehorla(f): 12:08am On Feb 18, 2023
adedapodvirus001:
Good afternoon my people, please does anyone know a free website where I can get verified evening childminder. All the websites I'm seeing are asking me to pay money to upgrade before I can get contact of child minder.

Where is your location? You can pm me, something can be worked out. Those websites get as dem be
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Agbekehorla(f): 12:11am On Feb 18, 2023
Nelsmannnnnnnnn:
Dear Ancestors,

Please, to the ancestors based in Manchester, I would appreciate your advise on an approach to get a full time job here in Manchester.

I don apply tire with regret mails or some form of excuses not to hire. I have even on different occasions fine tune my CV just to meet job requirements but no success still. I had to even start applying for care assistant jobs but most of them ask for a car and driving license. Where I want see car when I'm still new in the city.

Please any tips would be really appreciated. Abeg!!!

It's because it might be a domicilliary care job. That'd the stark reality. Getting a car as a newbie is not as straightforward as they make it look.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 12:13am On Feb 18, 2023
Solumtoya:

U get dolphins as pet? Abi why u dey use 300ltr everyday
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 12:25am On Feb 18, 2023
Pogracious:

@virus, please what are you doing to keep water bill at 150pa.
Please help me ooo as I currently pay 51pm.they said am using over 500 lites/day for a family of four.
I have tried to economize my water usage and no way

When I came to the apartment (2 bed flat but it does not matter as it depends on usage), I called Severn Trent to create a water bill account. After all said and done, I asked for an idea of the cost, the agent asked how many adults, I said 2, she asked if we bath everyday, I said no; she said around £10/month billed twice a year. Six months after, I submitted my meter reading and my first bill came, £75. Another 6 months after, I submitted meter reading and bill was like £90.

For the agent to give me that estimate and it almost tallied, I'm not sure there's anything perculiar we are doing.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by chrisnwaa123: 12:32am On Feb 18, 2023
AetA:
please i need help, i know great testimonies have come from nairaland and i would appreciate to be testifier too.

please i am coming to the UK to for a Care work role i am to arrive by Friday but i don't have an accomodation yet, please can someone herw help me to stay for a few days while i quickly try to sort myself?

please i am begging i do not have much cash on me for hotel or airbnb.

Arrival time is around 8am Friday Heathrow

i am a lady.

Have you found help?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:36am On Feb 18, 2023
eniola1010:

U get dolphins as pet? Abi why u dey use 300ltr everyday

If each resident spends about 15 minutes in the shower, without turning off the taps whilst scrubbing, and on again when required........ If you don't turn off the kitchen tap, between washing, then on again to rinse ....... When brushing your teeth, turn off taps when not required and on again........

Excessively using the washing machine/dish washer etc etc

It's a whole lot of water wasting down the drains...... Water usage discipline is key ........ To cut water bills ......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by adedapodvirus001(m): 2:37am On Feb 18, 2023
Agbekehorla:

Where is your location? You can pm me, something can be worked out. Those websites get as dem be

I'm in Sheffield.
I have sent you a PM
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by segxi1960: 4:08am On Feb 18, 2023
Lexusgs430:

If each resident spends about 15 minutes in the shower, without turning off the taps whilst scrubbing, and on again when required........ If you don't turn off the kitchen tap, between washing, then on again to rinse ....... When brushing your teeth, turn off taps when not required and on again........

Excessively using the washing machine/dish washer etc etc

It's a whole lot of water wasting down the drains...... Water usage discipline is key ........ To cut water bills ......

Told madam this but she still insists on a 30min shower. Says she enjoys the water.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:26am On Feb 18, 2023
segxi1960:

Told madam this but she still insists on a 30min shower. Says she enjoys the water.

Your water bill CANNOT go down. .......😂🤣

NB : Your only solution....... She MUST pay the water bill ........😂🤣

Are you sure, no be mammywater she be ......😜😁

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (850) (851) (852) (853) (854) (855) (856) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.