Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,677 members, 7,823,913 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:08 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (862) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1185254 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (859) (860) (861) (862) (863) (864) (865) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:26pm On Feb 24, 2023
hustla:

Said this many months back smiley

Used to think it's cos parents pick up too many shifts and dont take care of kids as they should

This might also be contributing factor ........ You don't own a dog, and not go on regular walks .........šŸ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:28pm On Feb 24, 2023
Ralphlauren:

Well said. This particular story was terribly sad.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10267013/amp/Arthur-Labinjo-Hughes-stepmother-GUILTY.html?ico=amp_articleRelated_with_images

So why did they all grossly fail, in their duty of care ..........

They all got their noses in irrelevant cases, stressing innocent people all over the place .........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by adedapodvirus001(m): 2:32pm On Feb 24, 2023
Good afternoon my people, please is there anyone here in the Technical Sales ( Engineering Sales)? I need some advice and guidance in this career path.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:34pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lexusgs430:

This might also be contributing factor ........ You don't own a dog, and not go on regular walks .........šŸ˜‚

Well, it's not solely because of it.. Social workers sef get their own for body
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by JaySterling: 2:42pm On Feb 24, 2023
Hey guys, please I need your guidance

Can I send items apart from letters through a UK post office ?

Like I have this luggage I wanna send to a friend in another city. How can I get it delivered to him please advise

Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:43pm On Feb 24, 2023
JaySterling:

Like I have this luggage I wanna send to a friend in another city. How can I get it delivered to him please advise

Thanks!

DPD .........

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by JaySterling: 2:44pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lexusgs430:

DPD .........
please what is DPD

Iā€™m new in the UK and donā€™t know all these terms
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:44pm On Feb 24, 2023
hustla:

Well, it's not solely because of it.. Social workers sef get their own for body

Your blood dey hot o .......šŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:45pm On Feb 24, 2023
JaySterling:
please what is DPD

Iā€™m new in the UK and donā€™t know all these terms

https://www.dpd.co.uk/

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:39pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Your blood dey hot o .......šŸ˜‚

LOL just saying as it is

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:41pm On Feb 24, 2023
JaySterling:

Thanks!

Yes, you can use the post office

I've sent medication, clothes etc before

You can choose how fast you want them to deliver too.. The faster the delivery time, the higher the cost
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Odedenshi1(m): 6:16pm On Feb 24, 2023
[quote author=Ralphlauren post=121180995. [/quote]

Let me quickly respond to this. If a child complain in school that he/she is hungry isnā€™t it appropriate for the school to discuss it with the parents? The school never raised up the hunger issue until this allegation of my son came up, then they said my son had complained twice last year of being hungry (in June & November).

Meanwhile, it was a teacher that went to call him while he was waiting on the queue to go for lunch. The teacher tricked him that she wanted to show him fish in the office but ended up taking him to the office of the safeguarding lead where they started questioning him. Only God knows what he was told for him to state what had never happened, imagine locking a child up in a shed for 48hrs, will the child not end up in hospital? What happened to hypothermia? It will interest you to note that on the Family Support Worker assessment that allegation was changed to ā€œthe child was dragged into the room and left there without heating? These people are experts in twisting words and trying to manipulate children.

To the issue of feeling hungry. My children make their choice of breakfast as there is usually several options available: Indomie noodles & eggs, Sandwich (Bread & Egg) with tea, Cereal (front loops), Cornflakes, Golden morn, Quaker Oats e.t.c but it is not uncommon for them to feel hungry while in school because they eat almost hourly while at home. Surprisingly, the very day we reintroduced packed lunch for all three of them I got a call from the Family Support Worker that my 4year old son had stated that he was hungry in school then I asked him why canā€™t the school give him fruit or snack from his packed lunch his response was I need to inform the school.

They have previously offered us food vouchers which I declined because we have enough food. We are not hungry they have visited the house I showed them varieties of food and fruits as well. Opened the fridge and freezer for them to see that the house is always fully stocked. I am fed up with these people honestlyā€¦

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Odedenshi1(m): 6:35pm On Feb 24, 2023
Ralphlauren:

(1) True
(2) The kids moved to the UK about 13months ago, parents were already in the UK.
(3) One child alleged that an ā€œAuntyā€ beat her because she was upset for being excluded from the schoolā€™s end of year party but they eventually added dad hit her which was never the case. The other child alleged that he was locked up in a shed for 48hrs.
(5) The school never raised this with the parents.

Thanks for your responses.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BoyleEd: 7:29pm On Feb 24, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 8:47pm On Feb 24, 2023
Those social workers are evil, they gave 2 kids recording devices to monitor the kids' conversation with their parents and instructed the kids not to inform their parents about the devices. The whole thing started when the kids said in school that one was beaten and the other one was asked to face the wall. The parents were invited and questioned, but refuted the allegations. Days later, the kids were given recording devices with chargers.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Stevepop: 9:40pm On Feb 24, 2023
JaySterling:

Thanks!

You can use royalmail. Used them a couple of times and they even come collect it for free from your address. The prices depends on the size and how fast you want it to get there.

https://send.royalmail.com/

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rvpbae: 10:19pm On Feb 24, 2023
Hello everyone.

Pls I need help. I recently got a place in stoke on Trent and on landlord advice, he asked us to call council to inform them we just moved in. We moved on the 18, I called council 19 and they told me to fill a form on the website. I also told the lady Iā€™m a student and exempted from council tax, she said yea, that I should fill out exemption form as well.

So I filled in the ā€˜just moved inā€™ form, then exemption form.

I got home on the 23rd to see a council bill for 147Ā£ , which is due March 31st.

Abeg is this how it is done?? I am gonna call them tomorrow, as I was busy all thru today.

What do I do?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kwakudtraveller(m): 10:37pm On Feb 24, 2023
Fourcade:
Hello guys,

My passport expires 16 May 2023 and I want to apply for PSW. Can I use my current passport or would I have to renew my passport to be able to apply for PSW?
It all depends on when you are applying for your PSW, is it now or after 16th may? If it is now then you have nothing to worry about. If it is after then you have to apply just before it expires and upload your proof of passport renewal when you apply.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kwakudtraveller(m): 10:40pm On Feb 24, 2023
rvpbae:
Hello everyone.

Pls I need help. I recently got a place in stoke on Trent and on landlord advice, he asked us to call council to inform them we just moved in. We moved on the 18, I called council 19 and they told me to fill a form on the website. I also told the lady Iā€™m a student and exempted from council tax, she said yea, that I should fill out exemption form as well.

So I filled in the ā€˜just moved inā€™ form, then exemption form.

I got home on the 23rd to see a council bill for 147Ā£ , which is due March 31st.

Abeg is this how it is done?? I am gonna call them tomorrow, as I was busy all thru today.

What do I do?
Bro get a council tax exemption letter from your school and then contact the council when you have this and theyā€™ll tell you what to do next. Thatā€™s the only way you can get exempted.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rvpbae: 10:56pm On Feb 24, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Bro get a council tax exemption letter from your school and then contact the council when you have this and theyā€™ll tell you what to do next. Thatā€™s the only way you can get exempted.

I have the letter from my school. I attached it to the exemption form I filled out.

Guess I will have to reach them again. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:10pm On Feb 24, 2023
babajeje123:
Those social workers are evil, they gave 2 kids recording devices to monitor the kids' conversation with their parents and instructed the kids not to inform their parents about the devices. The whole thing started when the kids said in school that one was beaten and the other one was asked to face the wall. The parents were invited and questioned, but refuted the allegations. Days later, the kids were given recording devices with chargers.
This is serious. How did the parents find out?
Did they confisticate the devices?
Sometimes as parents we need to know our rights and stand up to some of these people in an informed and non aggressive manner. Otherwise they will use uou as an example.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:20pm On Feb 24, 2023
Odedenshi1:
Sorry to ask, do you live in a deprived area?
I ask because these people tend to behave anyhow with parents of minority kids that school in deprived areas.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by oyoolima: 11:35pm On Feb 24, 2023
babajeje123:

shocked howwww is this possible?? Please come and explain more..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 1:56am On Feb 25, 2023
babajeje123:
Those social workers are evil, they gave 2 kids recording devices to monitor the kids' conversation with their parents and instructed the kids not to inform their parents about the devices ... ....
oyoolima:
shocked howwww is this possible?? Please come and explain more..
I don't know how true this specific one is. However, it's possible.
Hence, I persists that
1. The concept of rationale is noble,, however
2. The execution leaves much to be desire especially against BAME.
2.1 they're overly intrusive 'piercing the veil' by deceitful, hypocritical, 'sanctimoniosly', phariseeism, double standard, double-dealing 'bigotries': šŸ‘ƒ-poking oversabi teacher, social worker ....
2.2 there's tendency for laxity or turning away blind eyes in 'affluent' areas or of certain types!.
3. We, do not assist, especially where there are two centers in the house or with our ... I don arrive mentality

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phenmeson(m): 2:24am On Feb 25, 2023
tushqueen:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a washing machine that dries as well, i currently use Indesit but I'm not enjoying it that much. I see bits of threads on hoodies and other fleece wears when washed in it.

Now I need machine that washes and dries, and gentle on fabrics.

NB; I know someone might say it's the setting of my old machine, but I know I've tried several settings but no help.

samsung ecobubble washing machine

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:50am On Feb 25, 2023
We get people for South Wales....... How the quake ......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:52am On Feb 25, 2023
tushqueen:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a washing machine that dries as well, i currently use Indesit but I'm not enjoying it that much. I see bits of threads on hoodies and other fleece wears when washed in it.

Now I need machine that washes and dries, and gentle on fabrics.

NB; I know someone might say it's the setting of my old machine, but I know I've tried several settings but no help.

If you have the space, just buy a tumble dryer.........

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Dafeke: 3:48am On Feb 25, 2023
napoleonbaba:
Co-operative Bank is currently offering Ā£125(plus Ā£25 from me) for switching a bank account to them. It's a very handy Ā£150 as the bank switch doesn't require any direct debit switch or deposit. It takes about 20 minutes to complete this offer. It's very easy and doesn't cost you a penny.
You need a Current Account with a CASS bank(Llodys, Barclays, HSBC, Monzo etc) and card details to switch. you also need to fill out a referral form to claim the offer. Send me a dm for the switch information and more offers

I am interested, sent you an email
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by abuhusna1: 7:46am On Feb 25, 2023
JaySterling:

Thanks!
Use dpd it's cheap for up to 23kg around 20 pounds

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by abuhusna1: 8:06am On Feb 25, 2023
specialenvoy:
Please does anyone know someone that has switched from a student visa to a skilled work visa before finishing their study? If yes,

Did the person take IELTS to show proof of English language?
Did the person apply through Ecctis (formerly UK NARIC)

I will appreciate anyone that could assist with this
My wife switched from student to work visa 5 months we got to uk and used her ielts she gained admission with to uk university.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by chrisj2(m): 11:00am On Feb 25, 2023
[quote author=Odedenshi1 post=121198650][/quote]

Sad!

I feel for you and understand your frustration. Imagine being offered food vouchers - I am glad you did not accept because some people are so greedy that they take anything free on offer.

The issue of kids eating every hour is one that I can relate or understand. I put that issue solely down to my missus that has come to join and was the sole carer of the children in Nigeria.

Even this morning, a half term weekend, one of them has just had a small amount of cereal with milk and a cup of hot chocolate. Said, she was full! How come? Not even have toast or apple but within an hour, she will be asking for snacks.

The missus feed then junk and mostly sweetened items; cereals, waffles, dough nuts and lots of crisps and biscuits and sweets - she is also the chief officer of eating all them sugar and snack type foo; now moved on to maccyDsvand KFCs. Nja has done her and she has done the kids - they rarely eat vegetables or variety of food - even Nja food is not eaten anymore; Yanga!

Anyways, try and make sure the children get up early and eat well and not having to snack every hour..

As for discipline - this is not Nigeria; all the shouting and threats and even beating will not work and kids talk to each other and teachers; sometimes things come out innocently and other times they are tricked or cajoled based on bias or innocent comments.

Child says to teacher, there is so much noise and disruption in class; these will not happen in my old school in nja, they will be flogged - green light to interrogate what is happening at home...

I should also add that one of mine is entitled to free lunch or food but we go with packed lunch because they do not like school food or eat what they have on the menu; things that are good for them. Missus just give them mostly rubbish and the occasional fruits and yogurt if she can be bothered. They are even entitled to fruits and yogurt anyways.

Snacking from lunch box is probably not allowed if they are on school meals... They are generally not allowed to be dipping into lunch boxes at an early age.

Welcome to the UK where parenting is different and made even more difficult by the woke attitudes of the do-gooders... Good luck. Keep your head and that of your family down!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (859) (860) (861) (862) (863) (864) (865) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.