Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,121 members, 7,811,155 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (859) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169852 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (856) (857) (858) (859) (860) (861) (862) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hayesconcept(m): 7:28pm On Feb 21, 2023
You need at least third party insurance to drive in the UK
mayowa94:
No

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:00pm On Feb 21, 2023
peacenaija:

can someone get after entering Uk i.e an international license showing issuing date after entry date

The most important document in international licence presentation, is your passport..........

Then know say una too get wayo ...........😂😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tomiwiyu: 11:49pm On Feb 21, 2023
Please can someone point to me the Page where Cars to buy for first time car user in UK is being discussed? .. Pls
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akhat: 12:34am On Feb 22, 2023
Thanks you very much. I have sent you a DM.
My email is akaphilemon@gmail.com
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akhat: 12:38am On Feb 22, 2023
kode12:

If your phone worked here before, I’m guessing with a UK sim, it shouldn’t suddenly stop. Maybe get one of those free Lebara sims, you should be able to receive calls on them.

It's the phone. It's both my UK sim(three) and my roamed Nigeria sim(MTN) that stopped working. The phone has been giving issue before now, but I was hoping to replace it as soon as I get a job.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 4:09am On Feb 22, 2023
Has anyone renewed Nigerian international passport for just their kid. I renewed my passport last year but now I want to renew for only my child but am a bit confused as the instruction says to use card for some else, one needs to register card. I not seeing an option to register my credit card. There is also a note that states that to qualify to use card payment for family, cardholder must also be an applicant which is not my case . Do I just go ahead and make payment. With this cost of living crises I no wan make payment wey go hang o cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 4:19am On Feb 22, 2023
Temimoney07:
Please what’s the quickest method to secure a Data analytics or Data science job after graduation.
Get the skills, get a great resume(make sure your cv has the buzz word for your field), be able to demonstrate these skills in an interview.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by JaySterling: 4:39am On Feb 22, 2023
Hi guys, I tried to apply for a credit card both at Amex and Capital One, and I didn’t get approved

It said my credit score is too low.

But I don’t even have a credit score yet and I’m only applying for this credit card to start building my credit score

Please what can I do ? 😞

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:09am On Feb 22, 2023
JaySterling:
Hi guys, I tried to apply for a credit card both at Amex and Capital One, and I didn’t get approved

It said my credit score is too low.

But I don’t even have a credit score yet and I’m only applying for this credit card to start building my credit score

Please what can I do ? 😞

Stop all credit card applications, for a couple of months........

- Ensure your name is on the electoral list
- Utility bills in your name

What's your credit score on Experian/Totallymoney..........

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by JaySterling: 5:29am On Feb 22, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Thanks for the tips
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by JaySterling: 5:57am On Feb 22, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Weird that I passed the initial eligibility check for both Capital one and Amex, but when I finally applied for the individual credit cards, I was denied.

I have applied to be put on the electoral register in my county since 2 weeks ago, and they sent me a letter saying I will be added on March 1.

Finally, does having a conventional bank account help credit card approval? Someone was saying it’s because I use online banks Revolut/Monzo, that if I open a current account with Barclays, Lloyds, Natwest etc that it would help my credit card approval. Please is this true ? Let me go and open one first thing tomorrow morning, because I don’t really need traditional UK banks, because Revolut and Monzo is serving me

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:46am On Feb 22, 2023
JaySterling:
Weird that I passed the initial eligibility check for both Capital one and Amex, but when I finally applied for the individual credit cards, I was denied.

I have applied to be put on the electoral register in my county since 2 weeks ago, and they sent me a letter saying I will be added on March 1.

Finally, does having a conventional bank account help credit card approval? Someone was saying it’s because I use online banks Revolut/Monzo, that if I open a current account with Barclays, Lloyds, Natwest etc that it would help my credit card approval. Please is this true ? Let me go and open one first thing tomorrow morning, because I don’t really need traditional UK banks, because Revolut and Monzo is serving me

You should have applied a little while after march........

If your lender cannot track you, how would they trust you .........

Online banks report to credit agencies too (Chase bank would also start reporting soon).......

Having a traditional bank account, does not make it an easier...........

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 7:56am On Feb 22, 2023
It's confusing really.

I am trying to pay for my wee ones too and I am still using my maiden name, so we intend to use their dad's card... But this clause tire me too as my husbands not renewing passport as well.

Santa2:
Has anyone renewed Nigerian international passport for just their kid. I renewed my passport last year but now I want to renew for only my child but am a bit confused as the instruction says to use card for some else, one needs to register card. I not seeing an option to register my credit card. There is also a note that states that to qualify to use card payment for family, cardholder must also be an applicant which is not my case . Do I just go ahead and make payment. With this cost of living crises I no wan make payment wey go hang o cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:29am On Feb 22, 2023
Check out pp 625, 272, 553. There are others though.
P. 13 in the old thread has some discussion https://www.nairaland.com/4158866/living-uk-life-uk-immigrant/12#66044749
These discussions are not so much where, pointers around getting started including MOT and insurance
tomiwiyu:
Please can someone point to me the Page where Cars to buy for first time car user in UK is being discussed? .. Pls

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lekingson18(m): 8:55am On Feb 22, 2023
Save My Soul!!!

Please is there anyone here working as an electrician in the UK? I'm planning to go that route and i need someone with FIRST-HAND EXPERIENCE to 'hold me by the hand' on this journey.

I have an electrical engineering degree and i'm self-employed doing house/office wiring and solar/inverter installation.

Zero nine one six nine three nine five four six one. WhatsHarp

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lekingson18(m): 9:11am On Feb 22, 2023
Please do you know any Nigerian electrician in the UK? I'm looking to go that route and i need info from someone with firsthand experience.
deept:

I hired a guy to come plaster a section of a wall earlier this month, paid over £200 for less than a 2 hour job. Speaking to him, he said this was his if i can remember correctly his 10th job for the year. He used to drive a Porsche which he sold recently even at a price higher than what he paid for it. My mouth dropped at some of the stories he told us about how much he has made over the years and believe me lots of is that do white collar jobs don't earn that kind of money and they collect cash so don't pay HMRC anything.

Paid one to do the kitchen, minus the cost of the appliances and cabinets i calculated £4000 as his take home for about a 10 day job and he worked at his own pace. How many of us earn that?

When you start, you might have to build credibility and experience, but when you get that, the sky is the limit to what you want to earn and how you want to work.

All the people that ask what certification they need to do to get a job in the UK, of you are still in Nigeria, go and attach yourself to that Baba painter and Bana plumber and Baba carpenter even barber to learn the trade, come here fine tune the skills get whatever CSCS card or certification you need and with God on your side, there are no limits.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:24am On Feb 22, 2023
Lexusgs430:

You should have applied after a little while after march........

Online banks report to credit agencies too (Chase bank would also start reporting soon).......

Is Chase fairly new in the UK or why are they just starting to report?

I got that email from them
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:33am On Feb 22, 2023
hustla:

Is Chase fairly new in the UK or why are they just starting to report?

I got that email from them

Relatively new .......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by JaySterling: 10:23am On Feb 22, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Damn! I effed up big time by applying too early

And now that I have been denied twice by Amex and Capital one, this would be on my credit record right ? And affect my credit score 😭
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gift7428: 10:25am On Feb 22, 2023
Any special reason why you prefer Lenovo? I have about 600pounds to get a laptop and I was looking at HP

onecoder:

You're welcome. You can check out the following on ebay.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gift7428: 10:27am On Feb 22, 2023
Must it always be care?
If you are a registered MLT in Nigeria then look for Medical lab assistant jobs on NHs websites. Some offer sponsorship. I am saying have other options apart from care.

TOSM:
Hello Naira landers, I am new to this page. Please, does anyone know how I can get a caregiver job to enter the UK? I work as a medical lab technician in Lagos. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:55am On Feb 22, 2023
JaySterling:
Damn! I effed up big time by applying too early

And now that I have been denied twice by Amex and Capital one, this would be on my credit record right ? And affect my credit score 😭

I don't think they conduct hard searches ........... Unlike some other crazy provider's, that decide to knock very hard .............😂😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:29am On Feb 22, 2023
Gift7428:
Any special reason why you prefer Lenovo? I have about 600pounds to get a laptop and I was looking at HP

I just found them to be cheaper

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 12:02pm On Feb 22, 2023
In a way having a traditional bank account may help because the idea is you must have visited a bank branch with some documents to get verified for a conventional account unlike the online banks.

I got my AMEX weeks after arrival here with just my Revolut and Monese accounts + Llyods account.

Lexusgs430:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 12:37pm On Feb 22, 2023
I don't think it makes any difference. Some traditional banks just haven't stepped up their 'outdated' process hence more of us are moving to these Modern banks. The latter have means of verifying using third parties in some cases. Imagine you dey carry documents up and down go UKVI cheesy when all is now uploaded online.

Everyone dey Go green now, Saving the planet. wink

bigtt76:
In a way having a traditional bank account may help because the idea is you must have visited a bank branch with some documents to get verified for a conventional account unlike the online banks.

I got my AMEX weeks after arrival here with just my Revolut and Monese accounts + Llyods account.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 1:47pm On Feb 22, 2023
CheesyTee:
It's confusing really.

I am trying to pay for my wee ones too and I am still using my maiden name, so we intend to use their dad's card... But this clause tire me too as my husbands not renewing passport as well.

I just hope someone who has gone through the process is able to throw more light. So that one mind can be at ease.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 2:46pm On Feb 22, 2023
Santa2:
create a one time use virtual card and in the place for card holder write the child’s name

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:18pm On Feb 22, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Relatively new .......

Nice. I hope they can integrate credit score checks into their app like Lloyds

Very nice and straightforward app

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:19pm On Feb 22, 2023
Lexusgs430:

I don't think they conduct hard searches ........... Unlike some other crazy provider's, that decide to knock very hard .............😂😁

Bro, how can I swap my monitor?

Is there a way to do it

EDIT
Turns out you can trade in on their website

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 3:51pm On Feb 22, 2023
🤣🤣🤣
I can imagine

Bourne007:
I don't think it makes any difference. Some traditional banks just haven't stepped up their 'outdated' process hence more of us are moving to these Modern banks. The latter have means of verifying using third parties in some cases. Imagine you dey carry documents up and down go UKVI cheesy when all is now uploaded online.

Everyone dey Go green now, Saving the planet. wink

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:05pm On Feb 22, 2023
bigtt76:

I don't have any conventional bank accounts, and it's not caused my credit score any harm ........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 7:16pm On Feb 22, 2023
Lexusgs430:

I don't have any conventional bank accounts, and it's not caused my credit score any harm ........

Abeg. Is credit score of 560 okay?
Also is the credit score provided by transunion (from llyods app) reliable

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (856) (857) (858) (859) (860) (861) (862) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.