Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,498 members, 7,836,941 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (875) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1200833 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (872) (873) (874) (875) (876) (877) (878) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 6:35pm On Mar 09, 2023
Abeg me i have some questions to ask sha

If a t4 wanna switch to t2, must the person stop his education. Or the person can be a t2 and still continue with his education?

Also if someone is sponsored by a company lets say 5years. Is it compulsory such person work for that company for the 5years. What if he sees another better company willing to sponsor him
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:28pm On Mar 09, 2023
Short response, No. The Skilled Worker (previously T2) allow you to study.
eniola1010:
Abeg me i have some questions to ask sha
If a t4 wanna switch to t2, must the person stop his education. Or the person can be a t2 and still continue with his education?
... ...
semmyk:
... ...
[https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa]
What you can and cannot do
With a Skilled Worker visa you can:
- work in an eligible job
- study
- ... ...

Overview from Gov.uk
A Skilled Worker visa allows you to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with an approved employer.
This visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa.

KCL (Kings College) emphasise that you β€œmust intend to work”. Invariably, working becomes primary and study secondary! Ditto, the reverse

USW (South Wales) goes further to put beyond doubt
If you are in the UK in a work related immigration category..., you may undertake study that fits around your work. There is no condition which prohibits study. Therefore you are free to undertake part time or full time study whilst you are working. You should however be mindful of the following issues:
Work/study balance ... ...
Length of the course and visa expiration date ...
Leaving and re-entering the UK ...
What do you intend to do afterwards? ...

Kindly note that a number of UK universities have not updated their websites: Tier 2, Tier 4, Tier 5!!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:36pm On Mar 09, 2023
AFAIK,you are obliged to work for the duration. Otherwise, you lose your Skilled Worker visa.
However, you're free to move on. Your new employer must issue you a CoS.
https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/update-your-visa-if-you-change-job-or-employer
eniola1010:
... ...
Also if someone is sponsored by a company lets say 5years. Is it compulsory such person work for that company for the 5years. What if he sees another better company willing to sponsor him

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sammydoe: 9:40pm On Mar 09, 2023
please omo guys, is there anywhere in london you can change pounds to naira. ineed some naira before i travel.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:20pm On Mar 09, 2023
sammydoe:
please omo guys, is there anywhere in london you can change pounds to naira. ineed some naira before i travel.

Naira cash?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lavida001: 12:24am On Mar 10, 2023
hustla:

Leave taken is to prep for certs and just rest. Still paying sch fees o, it's not yet time for extra Waka

grin

UK dey one kind. If you no work you go enter debt
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:40am On Mar 10, 2023
lavida001:

UK dey one kind. If you no work you go enter debt

wink

If you live within your means, save and have a good job, maybe not

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:06am On Mar 10, 2023
sammydoe:

A bureau dΓ© change, is available within the arrival hall ........

And loads outside the arrival hall ........ So don't panic ....... (Remember, ₦ notes is now like gold dust)........πŸ˜‚

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:08am On Mar 10, 2023
Temimoney07:
Hello guys please which airline is the cheapest trying to book a return ticket from UK to Nigeria

www.opodo.com

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 7:34am On Mar 10, 2023
sammydoe:
I still have some naira cash with me which i brought by mistake while coming to uk ,u can pm me.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:20am On Mar 10, 2023
jum33:

I still have some naira cash with me which i brought by mistake while coming to uk ,u can pm me.

Old ₦200 notes only or varying mix...........😜🀣

CBN is mute, buhari disregards a court order, presidency is mute....... The banking sector is confused.......... Nigerian's bank balances, are kidnapped & held hostage ......

The whole comedy circle continues..........πŸ€ͺ🀣. What a country.......😭😜

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:29am On Mar 10, 2023
P
Lexusgs430:

Old ₦200 notes only or varying mix...........😜🀣

CBN is mute, buhari disregards a court order, presidency is mute....... The banking sector is confused.......... Nigerian's bank balances, are kidnapped & held hostage ......

The whole comedy circle continues..........πŸ€ͺ🀣. What a country.......😭😜

Serious comedy smh

Shame dey catch me on their behalf
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 10:49am On Mar 10, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Apply for a credit builder credit card........ This type of credit cards would typically have higher than usual Apr rates + offer lower credit limits.......

After you built your credit score, join us in the Amex, MBNA, Sainsbury, HSBC, NatWest, Barclaycard, Virgin money club ...........πŸ˜‚πŸ€ͺ

Even getting the credit builder card na wahala for me based on my score. 😞

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 10:49am On Mar 10, 2023
Phayie:

Open loqbox account with my referral link below and start saving about Β£20 monthly for 6 months. This will serve as loan which will give you credit profile and increase your credit score

https://www.loqbox.com/en_gb/loqbox-invite?referral_code=GJOHQHRURH&referral_channel=link

6 months?!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:25am On Mar 10, 2023
Tinyemeka:

Piggyback on someone you know ....... Simply get them to add you, to their credit card account....... So you have a card in your name.........

Run that for a while, then apply for your own card .......

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:27am On Mar 10, 2023
Tinyemeka:

Try Monese credit builder for 3 months and then apply for the credit card (it runs for 1 year in total)

smiley

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:29am On Mar 10, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Piggyback on someone you know ....... Simply get them to add you, to their credit card account....... So you have a card in your name.........

Run that for a while, then apply for your own card .......

This requires a level of trust that Im sure many wont want to give given how I have seen a lot of Nigerians using their CC

Spoke to someone yesterday and she told me everyone in their school takes CCs and withdraws the entire balance via PayPal, and then start to pay back the minimum monthly with interest.

They didnt even bother to know much about their statement closing dates, CC utilization and how to check the credit score

Was shocking tbh

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 11:38am On Mar 10, 2023
Tinyemeka:

Wehdone sir and welcome back.

I'm running mad here.

I've spent 4 months in the country and my TransUnion credit score is still in the mid-500's.

My records are in the electoral register, have got 3 bank accounts that I run transactions through frequently.

My wife landed long before me and I recently got added to the tenancy agreement. I've tried to apply for the AmEx credit card advertised by @Solumtoya and my request got declined (I'm sure because of my low credit score). I'm using a pay-as-you go mobile line (not contract).

What else can I do to boost my credit score? Or at least how can I secure a credit card?

An aside, I tried to sign-up for Rebtel to be able to call home cheaply, but couldn't because they said they don't support EE lines. Please do you know any other network that I could sign on a contract with my low score?

Appreciate all your assistance and contributions on this thread. πŸ™Œ

@Tinyemeka Dont worry about your Transunion credit score, building credit is a cumulative process. Even after 2 years+ here my transunion score is still at 589 but my experian score is 957. I made sure got a contract line, converted my pay as you go to three contract, got a provisional license and registered to vote. Did all these because as at the time I was living in a flatshare so didnt have any other bills to my name. I also was reporting my rent payment through credit ladder. I applied a post office creditcard(capital one) and got approved for Β£500 only, after 5 month I applied for Amex and got approved for Β£15,000. My advise would be not to apply for another credit card yet. Make sure you do other neccesary thing to get your name into the system then apply again after sometime, at least a month or two after.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:41am On Mar 10, 2023
Santa2:

@Tinyemeka Dont worry about your Transunion credit score, building credit is a cumulative process. Even after 2 years+ here my transunion score is still at 589 but my experian score is 957. I made sure got a contract line, converted my pay as you go to three contract, got a provisional license and registered to vote. Did all these because as at the time I was living in a flatshare so didnt have any other bills to my name. I also was reporting my rent payment through credit ladder. I applied a post office creditcard(capital one) and got approved for Β£500 only, after 5 month I applied for Amex and got approved for Β£15,000. My advise would be not to apply for another credit card yet. Make sure you do other neccesary thing to get your name into the system then apply again after sometime, at least a month or two after.

Does the provisional license help to boost points?

Been holding off on getting one for quite a while now smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 12:26pm On Mar 10, 2023
hustla:

Does the provisional license help to boost points?

Been holding off on getting one for quite a while now smiley

Not really, Its just a way of getting your records into the system. So that when a credit check is run, the algorithm hassomething to compare your records against.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:43pm On Mar 10, 2023
Santa2:

Not really, Its just a way of getting your records into the system. So that when a credit check is run, the algorithm hassomething to compare your records against.

Alright then.
Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 1:25pm On Mar 10, 2023
Tinyemeka:

6 months?!

You can withdraw your money anytime
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 2:03pm On Mar 10, 2023
bigtt76:
Nor run madt oooo cheesy cheesy

For your credit score to grow, you must have access to credit facilities either in form of utility bills paid or credits from credit card companies or credit score boosting apps.

Question
a. Is your rent paid by bank transfer directly to the landlord's account? If yes, try setting up a standing order to execute same time every month
b. How is your council tax or utility bills paid? Do you have Direct Debit set up on your account to debit it every month? Direct debits are reported to credit bureaus
c. Look for Contract-SIM from any of the mobile networks (I use Virgin mobile) and port your current line to them, use direct debit to pay for this monthly. To call home you can use cheap call cards available in Tescos or ASDA etc
d. How long have you been on the electoral roll?

Try the following

1. Place the embolden on standing order and use the following to report your rent payment to report the rent payment to credit agencies.
2. Credit Ladder sign up using my referral https://www.creditladder.co.uk/join/4kN2nMj0DmjpABDL),
3. Loqbox (sign up using my link https://www.loqbox.com/en_gb/loqbox-invite?referral_code=SZJ9DXFXHX&referral_channel=link)
4. Sign up for AMEX https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/tEMItOhbvx?XL=MNANS
5. Try not to open too many bank accounts (are your accounts online banks or conventional banks) or close any already opened
6. You should sign up to Experian credit score platform and they have a 30 days trial with which you can use to guide and boost your scores

You can report previous payment as currently is if you make the transfer same time monthly. The apps would pick it up from your bank account.

Thanks a lot dear.

Have done as you advised. πŸ™

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 2:15pm On Mar 10, 2023
Santa2:

Thanks.

Yeah I've decided to stay off any credit card application for now. Would watch to see if my Loqbox subscription would have any positive impact on my scores.

589 after 2+ years?! There really must be something wrong with TransUnion's system of calculation. I've applied to switch my line from PAYG to contract.

Bills were being handled by wifey, while I do rent but I will also be reporting the rent payment using CreditLadder now.

Wish I'd started this when I landed, but all the same all is well.

I'll watch to see how it goes in 2 months time.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 2:21pm On Mar 10, 2023
hustla:

Try Monese credit builder for 3 months and then apply for the credit card (it runs for 1 year in total)

smiley

Would that require me to open a bank account?

I already have 3 running and am hesitant about opening another πŸ™‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gmacnoms(m): 2:57pm On Mar 10, 2023
Any idea how one can get Polive character certificate? The website isn’t proceeding beyond the home page
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temimoney07: 3:16pm On Mar 10, 2023
Lexusgs430:

www.opodo.com

Thank you, does airfrance require transit visa
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:28pm On Mar 10, 2023
Tinyemeka:

Would that require me to open a bank account?

I already have 3 running and am hesitant about opening another πŸ™‚

OK

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 3:45pm On Mar 10, 2023
Odedenshi1:
Hello all,

Please this is a long read. Pardon me please, I am anxious and scared. Please I need your advice because β€œI nor know where these people dey carry me go”.

I brought my children into the UK last year and we have been living together as a family since then including my wife. On the last day of their first term in school, my daughter who has learning needs was reluctant to leave school because on that day, the school was having an end of term party but surprisingly, no ticket was sent to us to purchase for her save for our other two children. Her favourite activity is dancing, so she was upset and crying when I went to pick her knowing that she will not be a part of the party. When asked what the problem was she stated that Aunty beat her, the school safeguarding lead called me and we had a meeting where I shared the possible reason why my daughter is upset with her, also informing her that no Aunty lives with us that she was upset because she had realised she will not be a part of the party. However, the school raised a safeguarding concern on the issue.

Fast forward to the last day of last term. My son (second child) who was 7years old as at the time, was on the queue going for lunch when a teacher went to call him under the pretence of going to show him something in the office. On getting to the said office, the school safeguarding lead was there, they started questioning the boy, shockingly he told them that we had a naughty room at home that it was the shed in the garden and alleged that he normally gets locked there when he is naughty (he later said he made it up). A second safeguarding concern was raised with the Police & Social services informed. When my wife went to pick the children, she was informed that she could not pick them because they were carrying out their investigation. The Police & Social worker came to our house checked round and stated that there was no evidence and dismissed the case with the Social Worker recommending and documenting that we shouldn’t be forceful in making the children do their home work in a way that will harm them, we agreed, signed the document and they left.

The following week the Social Worker called that she was coming to the house, we asked her to come. On getting to the house she stated that the school is pressurising her to do her assessment and recommend a family support worker for us but that we have a choice of declining and if we do, should anything happen in future, they will say they offered to help us but we refused so we had no choice than to accept. About a week later the Family Support Worker called, introduced himself and stated that he would like to pay us a visit which he did. He also did his assessment which he shared with me but surprisingly I noticed that in the first allegation raised they had also added that my daughter said Aunty beat her and dad hit her which was totally different from what the school safeguarding lead had shared with me.

Now I am seriously concerned because the school keeps coming up with different issues and asking for further referrals to be done. They alleged that my son stated twice last year he was hungry even though they have breakfast before leaving the house and we pay for school dinner for them. We have now introduced packed lunch for all three of them despite the fact that the last child is 4years old and supposed to be having free lunch in school.

Please kindly help a worried soul. I need advice on how to take up this issue to prevent the unthinkable from happening. Thanks for your patience

What kinda school do they attend ?
Private ?
Catholic or others ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 5:43pm On Mar 10, 2023
Good Afternoon Beautiful people, my wife's passport expired and we are looking to renew it. We paid online and when we were about to book in to go for the appointment, we noticed there's no available date until may. This is urgent as we will need to renew it asap. Is there any provision for urgent renewal date at the passport office in london or we can just walk-in. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sammydoe: 7:27pm On Mar 10, 2023
yes sir naira cash
hustla:

Naira cash?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by vikaosi: 8:57pm On Mar 10, 2023
If you want to buy pounds, let me know. At 905.

(1) (2) (3) ... (872) (873) (874) (875) (876) (877) (878) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.