Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,172 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (885) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169895 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (882) (883) (884) (885) (886) (887) (888) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 2:22pm On Mar 16, 2023
Hi guys,

Please after you max the credit score (999/ does it remain there of you have to keep working to maintain it?

I'm at 903 and I've been here for 6 months. I'm afraid that it would drop when I change address and all that

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NnenaRita(m): 3:41pm On Mar 16, 2023
Please how did you do it? Which delivery service did you use

Solumtoya:

Yes, I just got 10 liters of palm oil from Naija. I think it cost about N28k or so
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 4:01pm On Mar 16, 2023
slimanyd:

And if u want to buy same 10 litres in UK. It cost way below or above?

No idea, to be honest. Wifey and her Mum love their "special palm oil" from the village so it wasn't really about just cost. They wanted that home oil, Lool

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 4:09pm On Mar 16, 2023
NnenaRita:
Please how did you do it? Which delivery service did you use

I will get that info. All I did was to go pick it up at Peckham. The phone number I had to call for pick up was 07915243229. Their office address here is Covenant Air and Sea Cargo Ltd, 9 Peckham Park Rd, London SE15 6TR.

Overall, the service was fair. Goods arrived intact and on time, so I can't really complain.

14 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Shorty2022: 4:28pm On Mar 16, 2023
Will check this out
Solumtoya:

I will get that info. All I did was to go pick it up at Peckham. The phone number I had to call for pick up was 07915243229. Their office address here is Covenant Air and Sea Cargo Ltd, 9 Peckham Park Rd, London SE15 6TR.

Overall, the service was fair. Goods arrived intact and on time, so I can't really complain.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 5:06pm On Mar 16, 2023
Newbie123:
Hi guys,

Please after you max the credit score (999/ does it remain there of you have to keep working to maintain it?

I'm at 903 and I've been here for 6 months. I'm afraid that it would drop when I change address and all that

Use the credit karma app to recheck your score. Frequent changes in address, loans, credit applications etc. affects your score but often the changes are small. As long as you're not maxing a credit card and/or you don't have any missed payments you should be ok.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adunnishugar(f): 5:14pm On Mar 16, 2023
Hello house,
(long read, please bear with me)

I need some advice on this pls.
I just switched to a skilled worker visa as a support worker.
It took quite a lot of consideration before deciding to take the sponsorship offer because I did not want to take the 5 year gap from my desired career (Human Resources).
I later decided to take up the job with the hope that I will keep searching for my desired job and switch sponsors if I am successful.
So few weeks ago my new BRP arrived and now I have been sent the employment contract to sign.
The problem now is that the contract has a 6 months notice period. The funniest part is that during my 6 months probation I still have to give 6 months notice while they can dismiss me with one week notice during this probation period.
I have searched online and there is no maximum notice period required from an employer. But reasonable notice periods should be between 1-3 months. Longer notice periods should have justified reasons (which they don’t have)

I’m an worried that I would not be able to secure another job with this notice period and I am also concerned about whether there will be any consequences if I try to dispute this factor (consequences such as them withdrawing sponsorship).

Please I would appreciate any advice I can get on this🙏🏽

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 5:33pm On Mar 16, 2023
I see a lot of criticisms against the student that wants to bring in wife and children. We need to understand that not all students are hungry, there are students that are richer than workers even with 20hr/week work or no work at all.

Make we calm down dey conclude say person made bad decisions especially when we don't know the person or all their sources of income.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akhat: 7:06pm On Mar 16, 2023
Elders in the house, I greet you. Please I would like to know if it's ok to take a job of 22hrs weekly as a student. The job is 11hrs per shift minus break. It's written on the contract that it's a 22hrs per week job.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tobbyoladejo: 7:30pm On Mar 16, 2023
profemebee:
no oo.. i didn't have to.. the email just dropped .. they pitied me lol

They didn't even backdate the dates.. so now my new BRP will take me way past 5years..

I guess i can apply for ILR as at 5years right? i dont have to use the entire years as stated in the new BRP

I am not sure how that works actually, as it's my first spousal visa application. I however think they count 5 years pre-ILR period from the date your spousal visa was first approved. Make our senior ogas answer sha.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by slimanyd: 8:09pm On Mar 16, 2023
Evening comrades. Is it okay to buy cloths from Nigeria rather than buying it over there in UK. Which is cost friendly and has better advantage.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:18pm On Mar 16, 2023
slimanyd:
Evening comrades. Is it okay to buy cloths from Nigeria rather than buying it over there in UK. Which is cost friendly and has better advantage.

You can buy jeans in 9ja and casual ones here

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ConnectMee: 8:35pm On Mar 16, 2023
Easy man. He’s here already and six months into his program. The baby is around six months too and has older siblings who are already teenagers.

Regex:

Tell your friend to either come over first, settle down. I mean get a proper visa, not student visa. Then bring family, else it will be his suicide.

You guys should stop creating unnecessary harsle for yourself. Try to deh reason sometimes. How woman go work full time with pikin? Him weh be student can't do more than 20hrs. How una want take care of family? Na wa oh... No be by I go school oh, a lot of Nigerians are so ignorant in the things of life. Tueh!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 8:48pm On Mar 16, 2023
Hi, someone posted and gave review about a comfortable ergonomic chair a while ago, can someone share the post please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 9:39pm On Mar 16, 2023
Another question please,

A friend came into the UK about 2 years ago, her family joined her but the husband couldn't get a job in his career line in their location so he was doing care job. Now husband got a good job up in Scotland (they currently live down south), she already knows that their ILR clock will begin again if she switches to her husband's COS. The question is if she continues on her current COS and later gets ILR, will their kids get ILR as well or will they have to wait till their father gets his?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 10:12pm On Mar 16, 2023
There is a job opening at my company for Account Manager(Social Media) please go through the attached screenshots to learn about the role before reaching out to me.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 10:18pm On Mar 16, 2023
There is a free voucher for the following certification “Certified in Cybersecurity” by the organization (ISC)2 for any one interested, register for the exam on isc2 website then you will be directed to Pearson Vue website, Fill in all details and use this voucher code at then checkout “CC1M12312023” . If you need further help, reach out to me.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:47pm On Mar 16, 2023
Akhat:
Elders in the house, I greet you. Please I would like to know if it's ok to take a job of 22hrs weekly as a student. The job is 11hrs per shift minus break. It's written on the contract that it's a 22hrs per week job.

What is your visa stipulation, about working time directive(term time)............
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:08pm On Mar 16, 2023
Newbie123:
Hi guys,

So you don't want to change your address, because you want to preserve your credit score ........

Our credit score would always swing, just ensure you're always in positive standing (don't miss a payment + avoid unnecessary/excessive credit applications)........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 11:09pm On Mar 16, 2023
tushqueen:
Another question please,

A friend came into the UK about 2 years ago, her family joined her but the husband couldn't get a job in his career line in their location so he was doing care job. Now husband got a good job up in Scotland (they currently live down south), she already knows that their ILR clock will begin again if she switches to her husband's COS. The question is if she continues on her current COS and later gets ILR, will their kids get ILR as well or will they have to wait till their father gets his?

Yes if they continue as their mum's dependants. If they go on their dad's COS, they will all become eligible for ILR at thesame time as their dad.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phil46: 11:39pm On Mar 16, 2023
Viruses:
I see a lot of criticisms against the student that wants to bring in wife and children. We need to understand that not all students are hungry, there are students that are richer than workers even with 20hr/week work or no work at all.

Make we calm down dey conclude say person made bad decisions especially when we don't know the person or all their sources of income.

I agree with you that many students live comfortably here. At the same time, I won't blame those who seem to be sounding hard on many students with poor choices. I am a student too and sometimes when I see what some of my colleagues are passing through I can't but wonder if they didn't do any research on the current UK economic state before coming. I spoke with a Nigerian woman who runs an NGO in UK last week and she lamented how many of our people are struggling, being exploited by greedy employers who pay them poorly because they desperately need under-the-table work for more than 20 hours. The belief that they would just come and get a job immediately made many come with families with barely enough to survive for a month. Unfortunately, even those ridiculous jobs are getting scarcer by the day. Honestly, there must be a serious mental shift in how people approach this student visa process.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 11:52pm On Mar 16, 2023
tushqueen:
Another question please,

Not wise for two people to have cos. Both of them will be tied to 20hrs limit as second job. They should continue on her own COS. If the husband decides to get another COS instead of being a dependent then he is own his own. They should not bring the children into this. The children and the mum should continue on her COS in my opinion. But elders in the house can throw more light on this.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 2:27am On Mar 17, 2023
Hi bosses
I have been in the uk for 6 months my credit score has been the same same 537 I have set up my rent as standing order my house wifi as DD though my electricity bill is eon key payments method and I have also put my name on the register I don’t know what I have been doing wrongly.

Also I intend to start a career on IT path I don’t know know how to get started. Currently I am doing support and trust me I have projected how this will look it this kind of work won’t definitely give me the life style I want . Please any advice on how I can start from the scratch on this journey.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 2:40am On Mar 17, 2023
tushqueen:
Hi, someone posted and gave review about a comfortable ergonomic chair a while ago, can someone share the post please.

Habitat Alma High Back Ergonomic Office Chair - Grey465/7112

Place the above on argos. The high back help to remind me to seat up when I am lost in my work. 100% remote, been using for 5months. Before buying I posted the pic on here and someone confirmed it to be a good one. that’s two human(Nigerian) reviewers.

it’s a very beautiful chair.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 5:06am On Mar 17, 2023
pheranmie:
Hi bosses
I have been in the uk for 6 months my credit score has been the same same 537 I have set up my rent as standing order my house wifi as DD though my electricity bill is eon key payments method and I have also put my name on the register I don’t know what I have been doing wrongly.

Also I intend to start a career on IT path I don’t know know how to get started. Currently I am doing support and trust me I have projected how this will look it this kind of work won’t definitely give me the life style I want . Please any advice on how I can start from the scratch on this journey.
Thank you

Don't worry about credit scores, just live your life. Growth comes with time.

It's like the parable of talents, they have given you 537 score now, what have you done with it? To whom some it is given, some is expected. You want to grow; take more credit, buy that 55in TV on credit, pick up a new car on finance, etc but make sure you can pay back and your credit will grow. Las lad with what you have done the credit agency has put you on your level.
Like they say be responsible with credit

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by JBoy9(m): 6:04am On Mar 17, 2023
Regex:

Tell your friend to either come over first, settle down. I mean get a proper visa, not student visa. Then bring family, else it will be his suicide.

You guys should stop creating unnecessary harsle for yourself. Try to deh reason sometimes. How woman go work full time with pikin? Him weh be student can't do more than 20hrs. How una want take care of family? Na wa oh... No be by I go school oh, a lot of Nigerians are so ignorant in the things of life. Tueh!

You can pass your message across without being rude or posting in such a condescending tone.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:14am On Mar 17, 2023
JBoy9:

You can pass your message across without being rude or posting in such a condescending tone.

Baba don vex and I can't blame him. Lots of people don't plan for the Waka and you'll be shocked when you hear what lack of planning causes. My friend in London has had to accommodate several families who have exhausted funds on airbnb and all that, imagine doing that with a baby

Travelling with the entire family to where you have never been before is not a wise idea. We all know majority of people who make the jump from Nigeria aren't as boxed up as we would like to think (90% no be rich man or Dangote pikin)

To each, his own Sha. Hopefully within 3 years, everyone will be a bit settled and alright smiley

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:44am On Mar 17, 2023
pheranmie:

Thank you

You can start from YouTube to figure out which you like

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 9:29am On Mar 17, 2023
Ok good. So being in the UK isn't all that needs to be considered here. Is the husband in a good employ?

1. I believe he's doing 20hrs currently but is it a steady shift that brings money to the table frequently or he's chasing after available shifts?

2. Can the wife work?

3. Who takes care of the 6 months old baby while the parents are working?

4. The older siblings that are teenagers, how old are they?

5. Being teenagers doesn't mean they can take care of the 6 months baby all by themselves 🤷🏿‍♀️

6. Accommodation nko? Has he secured a good accommodation cheap enough but adequate to cater for the children taking into consideration their gender?

These and many more questions may need to be addressed.

ConnectMee:
Easy man. He’s here already and six months into his program. The baby is around six months too and has older siblings who are already teenagers.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:36am On Mar 17, 2023
bigtt76:
Ok good. So being in the UK isn't all that needs to be considered here. Is the husband in a good employ?

1. I believe he's doing 20hrs currently but is it a steady shift that brings money to the table frequently or he's chasing after available shifts?

2. Can the wife work?

Even UKVI no vex rish this one grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tomiwiyu: 11:00am On Mar 17, 2023
Every individual will take responsibility for his/her decision

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 11:05am On Mar 17, 2023
where is @mamatukwas? it has been a bit.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (882) (883) (884) (885) (886) (887) (888) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.