Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (95) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179949 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Boluzee: 8:32am On Nov 26, 2021
As a tier 4 student, If you get a 40hours weekly paid internship during your internship semester and you are only restricted to work 20hours during term time. Within the rules or against it?!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 8:46am On Nov 26, 2021
Simran94:

If you are already into IT, I think you should start from CompTIA Security+ certification but if you are switching newly into It, you should do compTIA A+.
I have ten plus years of IT experience, mostly network before going for a masters in information technology with cyber security
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 8:47am On Nov 26, 2021
Simran94:

You need to have a CompTIA Security+ certification to get a job even as an entry level security personnel I think. Because all the security jobs on the UK I have come across requires a security+ certification

Noted. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gloriouscrown: 9:16am On Nov 26, 2021
Babygal4eva:

I've lost my vaccination card once so far and my health center did another one for me in the spot(they were reluctant and wanted to reject doing another one but I pleaded with them. Everything is stored in their DB so it's just a matter of reissuing it. What's the point of a barcode then if it can't be reissued that's just silly. Grease some palms and you'll get it reissued. I've even lost the new one a second time and will laslas still go and ask for another one.

Ok thanks so much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 9:24am On Nov 26, 2021
Simran94:

You need to have a CompTIA Security+ certification to get a job even as an entry level security personnel I think. Because all the security jobs on the UK I have come across requires a security+ certification
He is suggesting CEH instead.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 9:53am On Nov 26, 2021
babajeje123:

CEH is one of the most useless certs ever. You'd get more ROI/knowledge going for oscp instead

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 10:06am On Nov 26, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

CEH is one of the most useless certs ever. You'd get more ROI/knowledge going for oscp instead
Why is it the most useless? Quite a number of employers request for it and besides, it's more popular than OSCP.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 10:18am On Nov 26, 2021
babajeje123:

Why is it the most useless? Quite a number of employers request for it and besides, it's more popular than OSCP.

Maybe not the most useless but it is a bit useless cos you won't get the requisite knowledge to become an ethical hacker from it. That's why I said it's more rewarding to go for oscp.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 10:27am On Nov 26, 2021
@omopapa

Been searching for labs around westmidlands to start my ibms training portfolio, any advice?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 10:31am On Nov 26, 2021
canadaishome:

Since we are on this topic, what's the best place to start in terms of professional certifications for Cyber security? The ones that will make one look good and well positioned to get work sponsorship
my dear is better you get hands on experience and practical skills. Have git repositories of your code, go for hackaton and add to software development. Leave certificates. Certificates is just for standardization. To give the company license to practise.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 26, 2021
babajeje123:

There are soft skills and technical skills in Cybersecurity, Ethical hacking falls under technical skills, CEH is only needed if you want to go into ethical hacking but any other thing you need security+ certificate
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 26, 2021
canadaishome:

I have ten plus years of IT experience, mostly network before going for a masters in information technology with cyber security
At least a year of experience plus certification and you are good to apply for jobs
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 11:51am On Nov 26, 2021
Boluzee:
As a tier 4 student, If you get a 40hours weekly paid internship during your internship semester and you are only restricted to work 20hours during term time. Within the rules or against it?!

No problem as long as your school approved it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mystikal(m): 11:53am On Nov 26, 2021
brine:

Did you get PTA without a return ticket? I heard people travelling with tier 2 and tier 4 visas might not be eligible ?

I have a return ticket

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Boluzee: 2:09pm On Nov 26, 2021
justwise:

No problem as long as your school approved it.

Thank You
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hopefuliam: 2:52pm On Nov 26, 2021
Hi house
Please whats the name of the trusted nairaland who exchanges pounds for naira.
Also please has anyone sent things from uk to Nigeria. I am trying to send baby things for my niece but the shipping fee is outrageous.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by brine(m): 2:56pm On Nov 26, 2021
hopefuliam:
Hi house
Please whats the name of the trusted nairaland who exchanges pounds for naira.
Also please has anyone sent things from uk to Nigeria. I am trying to send baby things for my niece but the shipping fee is outrageous.

Try Mamakutas for shipping. I'm not sure if she can change pounds to naira for you(I know she does the other way around). However, I have naira for sale at the moment and I can give you a very good rate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 3:45pm On Nov 26, 2021
Where are you based? Which city?
AirBay:
@omopapa

Been searching for labs around westmidlands to start my ibms training portfolio, any advice?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 4:10pm On Nov 26, 2021
omopapa:
Where are you based? Which city?

Based in Birmingham
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 5:32pm On Nov 26, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

Maybe not the most useless but it is a bit useless cos you won't get the requisite knowledge to become an ethical hacker from it. That's why I said it's more rewarding to go for oscp.

What do you suggest to a master's student/graduate A+, S+, certified candidate looking for an entry job in cyber security in UK??

TIA
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 5:45pm On Nov 26, 2021
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Birmingham Heartland Hospital
Black Country Pathology Services (Dudley, South and West Birmingham, Walsall and Wolverhampton combined)

Check with any of these trusts to volunteer.
Undergo laboratory skill training to secure a job as a locum in any of these trusts

AirBay:

Based in Birmingham
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 8:38pm On Nov 26, 2021
omopapa:
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Birmingham Heartland Hospital
Black Country Pathology Services (Dudley, South and West Birmingham, Walsall and Wolverhampton combined)

Check with any of these trusts to volunteer.
Undergo laboratory skill training to secure a job as a locum in any of these trusts

Thank you. Does been employed as an MLA in any of these hospitals count towards the ibms training portfolio, considering the job description of an MLA OR I must volunteer at a specific section of the Hospital.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 9:30pm On Nov 26, 2021
umarwy:

What do you suggest to a master's student/graduate A+, S+, certified candidate looking for an entry job in cyber security in UK??

TIA

Comptia A+ N+ S+ then look for help desk or service desk jobs to hone your skills

Comptia cysa+ if you desire to work within SOC. Then some SANS GCIA/GCIH later

A lot perseverance, determination and persistence... Take shitty pay to get your foot in the door. Then divine favour and good luck.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 9:37pm On Nov 26, 2021
jtech17:

Can students do this also as side hustle in addendum to their 20hrs work schedule or just do it only

I'm sure you can as the biggest chunk of marking is done over the summer holidays (end of May to end of June when most unis would have finished) and for the assessment development work, you determine your hours. You do need industry experience though

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nicerichard05: 10:13pm On Nov 26, 2021
Hey guy,

Please I want to find out, can I register a company as a student, will it be against the visa rule
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 26, 2021
nicerichard05:
Hey guy,

Please I want to find out, can I register a company as a student, will it be against the visa rule

No sef employment.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nicerichard05: 10:47pm On Nov 26, 2021
Aprokodaughter:

No sef employment.

Thanks buh my wife as a dependant can do it abi??
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 26, 2021
Na wa why won't UK say we should write IELTS exams.

Please I am not gay or homosexual abeg. Don't know why y'all are referring to me as Bro, Oga, Sir. Abi dem don they call men daughter for Nigeria?

Despite my feminine name people are still using masculine for me. Abi dem no teach una masculine and feminine in Nigeria? Abi na only men dey this forum or Nigeria?

I am not understanding.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 11:24pm On Nov 26, 2021
You can negotiate with them, some labs do assist their MLAs to complete registration portfolio while some will ask that you get a trainee post first.
AirBay:

Thank you. Does been employed as an MLA in any of these hospitals count towards the ibms training portfolio, considering the job description of an MLA OR I must volunteer at a specific section of the Hospital.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:46pm On Nov 26, 2021
nicerichard05:

Thanks buh my wife as a dependant can do it abi??

Sorry anything about dependant I no sabi. Someone experienced will answer you on this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 12:09am On Nov 27, 2021
Aprokodaughter:
Na wa why won't UK say we should write IELTS exams.

Please I am not gay or homosexual abeg. Don't know why y'all are referring to me as Bro, Oga, Sir. Abi dem don they call men daughter for Nigeria?

Despite my feminine name people are still using masculine for me. Abi dem no teach una masculine and feminine in Nigeria? Abi na only men dey this forum or Nigeria?

I am not understanding.

Bobrisky says hello grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.