Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,701 members, 7,813,305 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (945) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1171460 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) (948) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bukonlami: 10:35am On Apr 20, 2023
My people please how long does dependent visa takes to be approved
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hwy9: 11:18am On Apr 20, 2023
bukonlami:
My people please how long does dependent visa takes to be approved
Was the application done inside the UK or from 9ja?

Standard or priority?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by amnwa(m): 11:29am On Apr 20, 2023
Please is anyone living or have any information about south Wales . In terms of cost of living and job opportunities.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Noworries11: 11:33am On Apr 20, 2023
Bourne007:
Pregnancy Discrimination .. . Know your rights smiley

https://maternityaction.org.uk/advice/pregnancy-discrimination/

Thank you
This is helpful
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Noworries11: 11:35am On Apr 20, 2023
koonbey:

Record your conversations with this person and keep them.

What he's doing is illegal. There's absolutely nothing for him to report you to HO about.

That being said, he has control over your shifts and could deny you shifts, which would be illegal, but difficult to prove. If I were you, I'd try the conciliatory approach just because that's always better, but keep it in your mind that you might need to explore 'legal steps', hence the recordings.

Someone has sent a link to a resource you should find useful if it comes to that.

I appreciate your response
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Noworries11: 11:39am On Apr 20, 2023
LagosismyHome:

I normally don't mention preggy until after 5 months or really showing so I don't understand why rush to say this especially at 5 weeks .

That been said.... what he doing is actually discrimination but to provide am is another thing . He can quickly sack you and use another reason so thread carefully.

I don't think it's right to record someone without their permission

Yes, i planned to inform him much later but then some colleagues kept advising its high time I inform him however with this reaction of his...what do you think would have been his reaction at a much later stage
Infact he was even ranting about my colleagues keeping mute that none of them reported me...

Thanks for your input
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Noworries11: 11:42am On Apr 20, 2023
Zahra29:

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Do you have a written contract of employment? What is your company policy regarding notifying your employer when pregnant, maternity leave etc

As others have stated, it would be against the law to dismiss you or discriminate against you on the basis of your pregnancy. It is your human right to choose to get pregnant and to continue the pregnancy, and you do not require your employer to give his permission or blessing.

However, regarding the bolded - paying fees in direct exchange for a job is illegal. Your employer is probably confident that your options are limited as a result, and assumes that you would not be able to take any legal action against him. .

Speak to citizens advice - they should be able to give you free and confidential legal advice, but ensure you disclose the full facts.

Thank you
The contract did not mention anything about this moreover officially there lots of terms in the contract that the company does not keep/honour...
Thanks once again
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Noworries11: 11:43am On Apr 20, 2023
Zahra29:

Pregnant women are universally entitled to free NHS prescriptions and free dental care/checks during pregnancy and up to 1 yr post partum. Depending on your working history, you might also be entitled to receive statutory maternity pay or maternity allowance.
Anything else is likely means tested i.e. benefits/ public funds.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Noworries11: 11:44am On Apr 20, 2023
semmyk:
I believe Koonbey is spot on. Thanks 👍🏽
For now, just play along, move with the flow, while doing the needful: record electronically and keeping a journal record. If, careful not to say when, the time comes, you'll need the recordings and journal.
You wrote ... he said that he doesn't want to involve the home office
Make e go that route, and let's see who for score own goal.
You wrote ... He said ... That we should seat to discuss and negotiate way forward. (I don't know what he wants to propose)
Follow the conciliatory route but watch your back fully guarded even more than Eph 6 indicated. If you don't and matter gets to ACAS or employment Tribunal, you'll be portrayed as adversarial

However, with all of this, though you've got labour law back, I'll still say, now that you have YouKay experience, it's time to explore other sponsorship. Not because of your MD, but for your sanity, wellbeing, family and the baby.
#IreeO

[UPDATED]
Regarding recording, generally recording is not permissible, yet not totally illegal! However, in the instant where you're an affected person, not just interested person, like in this instance, you are 'entitled' for your protection. Should you share it with others, even inadvertently, outside of legal process, well, be ready for the consequences.
NB: YouKay has several (different) laws that touches on recording! Navigating them is a landmine on its own. Just move on the basis of all-parties consent when wanting to record generally. For person safety/protection, pls do within the limitation that you have a duty of care to safeguard the recording reaching third-party (even spouse!!)
You can read a bit more online, starting with this one

This is so detailed
Thank you so much...
I am working on this...
Appreciate your input...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Joyfuljoyful: 11:45am On Apr 20, 2023
Thanks for checking on me.

I just had my baby few weeks ago.
Thanks to God for a safe delivery.

Solumtoya:

Hi Joy,

How are you?

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Noworries11: 11:58am On Apr 20, 2023
Thanks elders...
I equally have a pending issue with the man before the preg saga surfaced.

Was paid completely (working hours) from December until February however in March i discovered was short paid with almost £630
I demanded for an explanation and insisted it was incorrect
They requested for my working hours, which I provided every single thing they needed
Later accepted they would resolve it perhaps it was an erorr from the account team and promised to have my complete money credited ASAP.

Just yesterday, they announced it was my tax that was deducted and i asked which type of tax... I told them its my first job besides I thought I should enjoy tax free for my first 12k as a care worker...
I Requested for my pay slip (which they have never given me before) and I have not gotten a clear response though they agreed to prepare all of it but I am scared they might just doctor it like inec

I thought I should add this too
Please elders I also need una advise... is it possible to double check if I was truly taxed? Via pay slip or are there means to verify this claim.

Thanks for all the efforts and input
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 12:16pm On Apr 20, 2023
Rinzylee ; you don’t need to leave the money in the account, you can take it out asap. Don’t worry, you will get your 200£.
hustla:

Baba, you dey vex o grin

Not sure if they'll give you, I just did as instructed and got the alert
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 12:17pm On Apr 20, 2023
Noworries11:
Thanks elders...

I Requested for my pay slip (which they have never given me before) and I have not gotten a clear response though they agreed to prepare all of it but I am scared they might just doctor it like inec

Please elders I also need una advise... is it possible to double check if I was truly taxed? Via pay slip or are there means to verify this claim.

Download the HMRC app & create an account

Since it’s your only Job, you can view your past and upcoming payslips.

Payslip cannot be doctored

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 12:40pm On Apr 20, 2023
AgentXxx:
Rinzylee ; you don’t need to leave the money in the account, you can take it out asap. Don’t worry, you will get your 200£.

Yippee....thank you.

I have gotten the email from them and monzo has bid me farewell too.

Make I go poach HSBC
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Noworries11: 12:40pm On Apr 20, 2023
rayralph:

Download the HMRC app & create an account

Since it’s your only Job, you can view your past and upcoming payslips.

Payslip cannot be doctored

I once tried signing up via app at a point they asked for my last tax amount... so, I was stocked at that stage
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by meljoe: 12:52pm On Apr 20, 2023
Please requesting for a new BRP replacement because it was lost . Will it come with a new brp number or it’s exactly same thing ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 12:58pm On Apr 20, 2023
meljoe:
Please requesting for a new BRP replacement because it was lost . Will it come with a new brp number or it’s exactly same thing ?

Does it (really) matter?
I ask because you have asked this question like… 3 times now.
Infact, you give the impression that you are more interested in the BRP number, than you are in the new BRP.

If I was you, I would just request for a new BRP. I am 1000000% sure whether or not there is a new number, it will not matter.
If it comes with a new number, I’m sure the old number would be permanently retired forever and not useful anymore.
If it comes with a new number, I’m sure you will only need to update wherever you had provided the old number.
Ps: Physical Card BRPs will soon be discontinued anyways…

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nineville(m): 2:23pm On Apr 20, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Be careful, what you seek ....... Maybe if you considered married men...... The request could have been minimal.........😂🤣

Ahah lol. I laughed and fell over from plantain tree.
No dull moment with you, chief. cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 2:31pm On Apr 20, 2023
Cassan:

Southampton.
And I am NsogbuSexual 🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by meljoe: 3:00pm On Apr 20, 2023
I applied for a visa with that number that’s why I’m concerned
BorisJohnson:

Does it (really) matter?
I ask because you have asked this question like… 3 times now.
Infact, you give the impression that you are more interested in the BRP number, than you are in the new BRP.

If I was you, I would just request for a new BRP. I am 1000000% sure whether or not there is a new number, it will not matter.
If it comes with a new number, I’m sure the old number would be permanently retired forever and not useful anymore.
If it comes with a new number, I’m sure you will only need to update wherever you had provided the old number.
Ps: Physical Card BRPs will soon be discontinued anyways…
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hwy9: 3:05pm On Apr 20, 2023
amnwa:
Please is anyone living or have any information about south Wales . In terms of cost of living and job opportunities.
Where exactly in South Wales?

Cardiff? - cost of living is fair for a capital city but I find it a bit pricy for a small city of that size (my personal opinion though).

Newport is cheaper, located between Cardiff and Bristol. So you can live in Newport and work in any of the 2 cities.

In terms of work, I don't have first hand info on that but shouldn't be bad.... your work experience matters too though.

Others, will contribute.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 3:08pm On Apr 20, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obioraval(m): 3:15pm On Apr 20, 2023
hustla:

DM sent smiley

Married Man grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by amnwa(m): 3:23pm On Apr 20, 2023
Hwy9:

Where exactly in South Wales?

Cardiff? - cost of living is fair for a capital city but I find it a bit pricy for a small city of that size (my personal opinion though).

Newport is cheaper, located between Cardiff and Bristol. So you can live in Newport and work in any of the 2 cities.

In terms of work, I don't have first hand info on that but shouldn't be bad.... your work experience matters too though.

Others, will contribute.
Pontypridd. Treforest
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 3:54pm On Apr 20, 2023
Noworries11:
Thanks elders...
I equally have a pending issue with the man before the preg saga surfaced.

Was paid completely (working hours) from December until February however in March i discovered was short paid with almost £630
I demanded for an explanation and insisted it was incorrect
They requested for my working hours, which I provided every single thing they needed
Later accepted they would resolve it perhaps it was an erorr from the account team and promised to have my complete money credited ASAP.

Just yesterday, they announced it was my tax that was deducted and i asked which type of tax... I told them its my first job besides I thought I should enjoy tax free for my first 12k as a care worker...

This is a serious issue. They have set themselves up for problem. Meanwhile you can create an account with hmrc to get your CTR and you will see your earnings and tax paid to date plus your tax code. It is not difficult.
Please new immgrants should stop taking nonsense from employers just because they sponsored them.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:16pm On Apr 20, 2023
dustydee:

This is a serious issue. They have set themselves up for problem. Meanwhile you can create an account with hmrc to get your CTR and you will see your earnings and tax paid to date plus your tax code. It is not difficult.
Please new immgrants should stop taking nonsense from employers just because they sponsored them.

Home office can be funny..... a friend sister came on sponsorship and the employer was playing fun and games with payroll. Paying them like half and cheating the employees and some people paid for cos

Someone reported and now home office after investigations has taken licence and asked the business to close

But guess what there was no protection for those on Sponsorship. 60 days notification
came for cos employees to leave or switch .... now my friend sister is stuck as she has one week left of 60days and might go home....so why its easy to report all these employers Home office is not doing anything to protect you if they lose licence so immigrants have to tread carefully

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 4:38pm On Apr 20, 2023
dustydee:

You are assuming that ‘New immigrants’ dey pure.

Imagine if there was some ‘dealings’ between CoS issuer and ‘new applicant’.

Don’t assume that ‘new immigrant’ is holy and Employer is rogue.

If you read OP’s initial message, there was somewhere that appears to suggest some kurukere movement before they got the CoS.

If sh*t hit ceiling, worst case, licence will be revoked. Care home /agency closed. ‘New Immigrant’ will now have to get a new sponsor, or Home office will send them a letter. Trust me, ‘New immigrant’ would not like the content of Home office letter.

Modified: Just after posting, I realised LagosIsMyHome posted a similar thing, infact with ‘receipt’
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:44pm On Apr 20, 2023
nineville:

Ahah lol. I laughed and fell over from plantain tree.
No dull moment with you, chief. cheesy

Because we're married......... We seem to be excluded from all activities........

Been the chairperson,PRO,treasurer,secretary of our association.......

I got our collective interests to protect......... Our wives and husbands, also feel we deserve a break, but how can we have this break, when we are actively been discriminated against.........🤣😜

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:50pm On Apr 20, 2023
obioraval:

Married Man grin

shocked
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 5:22pm On Apr 20, 2023
BorisJohnson:

You are assuming that ‘New immigrants’ dey pure.

Imagine if there was some ‘dealings’ between CoS issuer and ‘new applicant’.

Don’t assume that ‘new immigrant’ is holy and Employer is rogue.

If you read OP’s initial message, there was somewhere that appears to suggest some kurukere movement before they got the CoS.

If sh*t hit ceiling, worst case, licence will be revoked. Care home /agency closed. ‘New Immigrant’ will now have to get a new sponsor, or Home office will send them a letter. Trust me, ‘New immigrant’ would not like the content of Home office letter.

Modified: Just after posting, I realised LagosIsMyHome posted a similar thing, infact with ‘receipt’

Well said. I mentioned in an earlier post that paying for sponsorship is illegal (though not necessarily criminal). UKVI is aware of these moves and will not protect those caught out as LagosIsMyHome gave an example - the same way they do not protect (and are even seeking to criminalise) desperate migrants (including refugees) who pay human traffickers to cross over to the UK.
These cash for sponsorship deals is why it's not as simple as some were making out- asking OP to record her employer and take him to tribunal etc...even if the employer is in the wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 5:27pm On Apr 20, 2023
Zahra29:

Well said. I mentioned in an earlier post that paying for sponsorship is illegal (though not necessarily criminal). UKVI is aware of these moves and will not protect those caught out as LagosIsMyHome gave an example - the same way they do not protect (and are even seeking to criminalise) desperate migrants (including refugees) who pay human traffickers to cross over to the UK.
These cash for sponsorship deals is why it's not as simple as some were making out- asking OP to record her employer and take him to tribunal etc...even if the employer is in the wrong.

Some people are getting free Cos and going by the books and you can have an employer mixing both paid and unpaid sponsorship yet when Home office strikes it appears everyone is affected ... not a fair system at all

Before I was for reporting, now if you have sponsorship until you find another I don't support anybody reporting nothing because in the case I know, even the person who reported got 60days and keeps lamenting that if she knew she would not have reported

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) (948) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.