Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,795 members, 7,817,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (952) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179240 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (949) (950) (951) (952) (953) (954) (955) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 10:45am On Apr 23, 2023
People I haven’t seen in a long time:
Mamatukwas
Fatima04
Ticha
TheGuyFromHR
Aphrodite007
Aprokodaughter
Sgtponzihater1
RalphJean
RalphLauren
Inspectorgrundy
Mimmylyrics
Duchess90

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:54am On Apr 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

You don't need a union........ You signed an employment contract and want to breach it .......

He's not breaching the contract.

The contract says he will work for 5 years but if he terminates early he will pay the associated costs.

Termination is part of the contract and he has said he is ready to pay, so there's no breach.

@deeonebanging your employer is not obligated by law to provide you a reference - https://www.acas.org.uk/providing-a-job-reference.

All that they are obligated to do re references is to be true and fair if they do give one. So the best thing would be to soft-pedal and get the present employer to tell you how much you have to pay, which you can then pay and get the reference. Alternatively, you can let the prospective side know and ask them to allow an alternative.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:10am On Apr 23, 2023
koonbey:

The contract says he will work for 5 years but if he terminates early he will pay the associated costs.

Termination is part of the contract and he has said he is ready to pay, so there's no breach.

@deeonebanging your employer is not obligated by law to provide you a reference - https://www.acas.org.uk/providing-a-job-reference.

All that they are obligated to do re references is to be true and fair if they do give one. So the best thing would be to soft-pedal and get the present employer to tell you how much you have to pay, which you can then pay and get the reference. Alternatively, you can let the prospective side know and ask them to allow an alternative.

He would breach the contract, if he departs without settling all associated costs.......

Read up on initial query + subsequent responses .....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:22am On Apr 23, 2023
AKALAMAGBO:
I assume He got a new job with NHS, and last I checked, NHS doesn’t accept character reference from new employees.

Please sort out your contract to the end before starting a new job, if you are caught starting a job with your new employer whilst having another contract with your previous employer, na COURT straight. No two way about it. Shalom

Nah NHS HR send that message...... We are not allowed to accepted ke ......😜🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maturedhustler: 11:24am On Apr 23, 2023
BorisJohnson:

Does it (really) matter?
I ask because you have asked this question like… 3 times now.
Infact, you give the impression that you are more interested in the BRP number, than you are in the new BRP.

If I was you, I would just request for a new BRP. I am 1000000% sure whether or not there is a new number, it will not matter.
If it comes with a new number, I’m sure the old number would be permanently retired forever and not useful anymore.
If it comes with a new number, I’m sure you will only need to update wherever you had provided the old number.
Ps: Physical Card BRPs will soon be discontinued anyways…

Happy weekend all,

I don’t know if anyone has experienced having 2 BRPs for an individual before. I renewed my children’s visa in January but BRP were not sent after 4wks.

After sending an online form to home office, I received a set of BRPs in February but was surprised to receive another set (for each of them) this April with new BRP no and issue date.

It’s not clear to me if I have to keep the two sets or return/destroy one set. If am to return/destroy one set, will it be the one issue in February or April?

I have to hold updating their BRP on Home office website because of this challenge. Kindly advise

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 11:33am On Apr 23, 2023
Some of them have another moniker that they use in monitoring the thread, one of them was sent out of the thread due to hate messages, nonchalant comments and rudeness in passing across their advice (Aprokodaughter), she left the thread due to shame…
BorisJohnson:
Mamatukwas
Fatima04
Ticha
TheGuyFromHR
Aphrodite007
Aprokodaughter
Sgtponzihater1
RalphJean
RalphLauren
Inspectorgrundy
Mimmylyrics
Duchess90

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 11:37am On Apr 23, 2023
Na NHS HR ooo… If I screenshot some previous convos, you will be surprised to see so many jungle ENGLISH from them… But who I’m I to correct them, na their language na… 😹😹😹
Lexusgs430:

Nah NHS HR send that message...... We are not allowed to accepted ke ......😜🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dduchess90(f): 11:54am On Apr 23, 2023
Hello

Present Sir grin

Just busy, plus more engaged on the student thread

Cheers
BorisJohnson:
Mamatukwas
Fatima04
Ticha
TheGuyFromHR
Aphrodite007
Aprokodaughter
Sgtponzihater1
RalphJean
RalphLauren
Inspectorgrundy
Mimmylyrics
Duchess90

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 12:08pm On Apr 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

The exit clause is clear...... I am just wondering why you don't want to completely shut one door, before opening another........🤣

Send your employer a letter before action, requesting your settlement figure........

Once that figure is settled....... You would receive your last reference....... QED......😂

Good advice

You didn't explain the parable about the eggs and chicken - or you did, but in an unknown language 😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sgtponzihater1(m): 12:14pm On Apr 23, 2023
BorisJohnson:
Mamatukwas
Fatima04
Ticha
TheGuyFromHR
Aphrodite007
Aprokodaughter
Sgtponzihater1
RalphJean
RalphLauren
Inspectorgrundy
Mimmylyrics
Duchess90

True been a while. Been slightly busy with life. Thanks alot 🙏

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:29pm On Apr 23, 2023
Zahra29:

Good advice

You didn't explain the parable about the eggs and chicken - or you did, but in an unknown language 😂

Remember, Jesus spoke in parables........😂🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:34pm On Apr 23, 2023
AKALAMAGBO:
Na NHS HR ooo… If I screenshot some previous convos, you will be surprised to see so many jungle ENGLISH from them… But who I’m I to correct them, na their language na… 😹😹😹

If to say I be you .....

I would send this reply ......

Thank you for your response. I would seek reference from my present employer........

But I would also like to point out that, your use of ''accepted'', was not appropriately placed.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 12:49pm On Apr 23, 2023
koonbey:

I dont think there is any alternative o when it come to taking another empoyment as a sponsored skilled worker as his current employer has a big role to play in the process of changing sponsored jobs .
By law he can't bypass his current employer to take another sponsored employement elsewhere as UKVI cannot even grant him a new COS if his current employer doesnt cancel the current one .Since he still has a binding contract on his neck , he just have to find a way of settlling his contact with his current employer so that he can be gracefully released without any issue.
But come to think of it ,this naija employer wicked no be small sha ,5 years binding contract to work as dom carer ? impossicant embarassed embarassed i am yet to see any carer that can achieve that without breaking his/her back

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 1:08pm On Apr 23, 2023
I doubt if there's such law.

Anyone can switch visa to any category at any point. UKVI only expects you to have worked out your notice period.

jum33:

I dont think there is any alternative o when it come to taking another empoyment as a sponsored skilled worker as his current employer has a big role to play in the process of changing sponsored jobs .
By law he can't bypass his current employer to take another sponsored employement somewhere else as the UKVI cannot even grant him a new COS if his current employer doesnt cancel the current one .Since he still has a binding contract on his neck , he just have to find a way of settling his contact with his current employer so that he can be gracefully released without any issue.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 2:06pm On Apr 23, 2023
jum33:

By law he can't bypass his current employer to take another sponsored employement elsewhere as UKVI cannot even grant him a new COS if his current employer doesnt cancel the current one .Since he still has a binding contract on his neck , he just have to find a way of settlling his contact with his current employer so that he can be gracefully released without any issue.
But come to think of it ,this naija employer wicked no be small sha ,5 years binding contract to work as dom carer ? impossicant embarassed embarassed i am yet to see any carer that can achieve that without breaking his/her back

Which law?

There's nothing like that.

The process is simply to apply online as per usual up to 3 months before starting the new role, and abide by the stipulation of not working in the new job until the new leave is granted - https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/update-your-visa-if-you-change-job-or-employer.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 2:47pm On Apr 23, 2023
The cost of the breach is the payment already highlighted in the contract. It simply means if you want out, then you have to breach the contract and the cost of that breach is what you have to pay.

koonbey:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by acosfd: 3:25pm On Apr 23, 2023
BorisJohnson:
Mamatukwas
Fatima04
Ticha
TheGuyFromHR
Aphrodite007
Aprokodaughter
Sgtponzihater1
RalphJean
RalphLauren
Inspectorgrundy
Mimmylyrics
Duchess90

Add @Amarathripple0 to that list, not heard from her in a while

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 3:33pm On Apr 23, 2023
I've been popping in as often as my schedule allows but there's usually so much to catch up on when I open NL and usually don't need to reply if I see that an apt answer has been provided.
BorisJohnson:
Mamatukwas
Fatima04
Ticha
TheGuyFromHR
Aphrodite007
Aprokodaughter
Sgtponzihater1
RalphJean
RalphLauren
Inspectorgrundy
Mimmylyrics
Duchess90

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 3:54pm On Apr 23, 2023
Ahahah 😹😹😹… which kind wahala be this Baba Lexus… u wan make dem withdraw employment offer??
Lexusgs430:

If to say I be you .....

Thank you for your response. I would seek reference from my present employer........

But I would also like to point out that, your use of ''accepted'', was not appropriately placed.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solveabode(m): 4:01pm On Apr 23, 2023
Hello gurus
Please is it normal for agent to give out house like this despite that I call their attention to it during the inspection?
I have not moved in yet and I plan to write and call them to do the needful.

Pls advise.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solveabode(m): 4:03pm On Apr 23, 2023
solveabode:
Hello gurus
Please is it normal for agent to give out house like this despite that I call their attention to it during the inspection?

Pls advise.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 4:10pm On Apr 23, 2023
rinzylee:

Nawa o. They have learnt from Indians.

But.... .. you for no sign that kind contract o. 2 years is the max I can do and that's because they offered relocation package from Nigeria and would pay for my trainings and co.

So if you are in Nigeria, a company gives you job offer with visa sponsorship for 5 years and a breakout clause, you will say no you want 2 years visa sponsorship or remain in Nigeria and continue to apply for job?

For me, if they give me 2 years, I will ask if they can make it 5.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 4:16pm On Apr 23, 2023
Tell your new employer that your current employer is stalling. Submit your payslips and bank statements to show that you worked with the employer. Ask of you can give another reference instead.

Once you get your COS and you get your new visa, you will not be able to work with the current employer legally again. Make sure you ask for the associated costs and ensure your communications are recorded. You can't be forced to work for 5 years.
DeeOneBangin:
HR gurus and other members of the forum, please I need your knowledge in this situation. I am currently employed in a domiciliary care company with sponsorship (I did not pay) and after spending a year with the company, I have decided to move on. Luckily for me I have found a better job with sponsorship and all pre employment checks have been fulfilled. According to my prospective HR, the only thing remaining for me is to provide 3 references and then we proceed to CoS stage.

I have provided my prospective employer with the 3 referees as requested ( 2 from previous employers and 1 from current employer). The 2 previous employers have responded and I have gotten a confirmation that it has been accepted. It remains only my current employer and after talking to him about it, he said he would not attend to the reference and he would have to talk to his lawyer first because the contract says I have to work in his company for 5 years.

Attached is a screen shot of the contract that I signed and I am ready to abide by it.

Please guys I need your response on what to do as I believe he wants to waste my time.

Can I also inform my prospective employer of the current situation and ask if they are happy to proceed to CoS stage with the 2 references that they already have OR if I can provide a 3rd reference from another previous employer in the UK?

Do I need to join a union because of this issue?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 4:16pm On Apr 23, 2023
STENON:
You get 5 years work visa once you get full time job with the local authority after your PGDE .
Can one apply for this PGDE from Nigeria and is it easy to get the full time teaching job with local authority?

I'm exploring options for someone.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 4:22pm On Apr 23, 2023
solveabode:
Hello gurus

Pls advise.

It's not. I was in a similar situation last year although, I didn't take any step aside contact LL but he didn't do anything. I later moved out cos the condition of the house was so poor but I was told I could have reported LL to the council.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 4:25pm On Apr 23, 2023
jum33:

By law he can't bypass his current employer to take another sponsored employement elsewhere as UKVI cannot even grant him a new COS if his current employer doesnt cancel the current one .
Are you 💯% sure about thise. There are people that have changed sponsored jobs without their employers knowing. Example is that guy that had issue with driving a car that resulted in maltreatment. According to him, when he resigned, the employer didn't know what next for him.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 4:30pm On Apr 23, 2023
Completely false. Not part of the guidelines since ever!

Viruses:

Are you 💯% sure about thise. There are people that have changed sponsored jobs without their employers knowing. Example is that guy that had issue with driving a car that resulted in maltreatment. According to him, when he resigned, the employer didn't know what next for him.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 4:42pm On Apr 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

If to say I be you .....

Thank you.

Wahala be like Portable.
Sho efe fa werey L'onyo? (Now assuming U are Yoruba ooO).
No mind how I write am, if u vex write in IGBO for me lol...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 4:47pm On Apr 23, 2023
jum33:

This means Baba never dey in position of another CoS come dey para his employer? 🤔
*Tree near tree na why e be like say monkey dey fly.

Hope is a very dangerous thing, for when what we hoped on fails to show up, one tends to go mad.

I just want to believe he's certain of that New Job CoS shaa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 4:49pm On Apr 23, 2023
koonbey:

Which law?

There's nothing like that.

The process is simply to apply online as per usual up to 3 months before starting the new role, and abide by the stipulation of not working in the new job until the new leave is granted - https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/update-your-visa-if-you-change-job-or-employer.
Kudos for this insight tho.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:59pm On Apr 23, 2023
DeeOneBangin:

Nigerian!!! Always us

I knew it had to be a Nigerian. We always do the most. This care thing is turning to slavery and home office sadly is not doing much to protect people

Where have you heard a UK employer forcing an employee to stay , so annoying. I hope it get sorted. Nobody should force someone to be where the person don't want to be .

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 5:26pm On Apr 23, 2023
Ok

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (949) (950) (951) (952) (953) (954) (955) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.