Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,576 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (951) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179408 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (948) (949) (950) (951) (952) (953) (954) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jcole123: 12:30am On Apr 23, 2023
hustla:

Check app.otta.com

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 1:01am On Apr 23, 2023
HR gurus and other members of the forum, please I need your knowledge in this situation. I am currently employed in a domiciliary care company with sponsorship (I did not pay) and after spending a year with the company, I have decided to move on. Luckily for me I have found a better job with sponsorship and all pre employment checks have been fulfilled. According to my prospective HR, the only thing remaining for me is to provide 3 references and then we proceed to CoS stage.

I have provided my prospective employer with the 3 referees as requested ( 2 from previous employers and 1 from current employer). The 2 previous employers have responded and I have gotten a confirmation that it has been accepted. It remains only my current employer and after talking to him about it, he said he would not attend to the reference and he would have to talk to his lawyer first because the contract says I have to work in his company for 5 years.

Attached is a screen shot of the contract that I signed and I am ready to abide by it.

Please guys I need your response on what to do as I believe he wants to waste my time.

Can I also inform my prospective employer of the current situation and ask if they are happy to proceed to CoS stage with the 2 references that they already have OR if I can provide a 3rd reference from another previous employer in the UK?

Do I need to join a union because of this issue?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jogoluv: 3:22am On Apr 23, 2023
veeveezu:
@jogoluv do you still need accommodation in Manchester? Are you single or have a family?
Hi Veeveezu,
Yes I still do.
I am a single man
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:00am On Apr 23, 2023
DeeOneBangin:
HR gurus and other members of the forum, please I need your knowledge in this situation. I am currently employed in a domiciliary care company with sponsorship (I did not pay) and after spending a year with the company, I have decided to move on. Luckily for me I have found a better job with sponsorship and all pre employment checks have been fulfilled. According to my prospective HR, the only thing remaining for me is to provide 3 references and then we proceed to CoS stage.

I have provided my prospective employer with the 3 referees as requested ( 2 from previous employers and 1 from current employer). The 2 previous employers have responded and I have gotten a confirmation that it has been accepted. It remains only my current employer and after talking to him about it, he said he would not attend to the reference and he would have to talk to his lawyer first because the contract says I have to work in his company for 5 years.

Attached is a screen shot of the contract that I signed and I am ready to abide by it.

Please guys I need your response on what to do as I believe he wants to waste my time.

Can I also inform my prospective employer of the current situation and ask if they are happy to proceed to CoS stage with the 2 references that they already have OR if I can provide a 3rd reference from another previous employer in the UK?

Do I need to join a union because of this issue?

You don't need a union........ You signed an employment contract and want to breach it .......

Unfortunately, you would have to pay 100% fee + all associated logistical costs and administration fees, as stated in your contract....... No employer would touch you(within the legal employment sector), with that active contract hanging on your neck ........

And if they do, your present employer would include them in a joint legal suit (no employer wants this).......

So that employer is not wasting you time, it's you that wants to waste their time & resource........

Resolve your financial and legal lacuna, with your employer. To avoid been embroiled in an employment legality mess ........

Can Saka sign for Arsenal, then decides he wants to play for crystal palace, at the same time (without clearing his employment contract)...... Ko possible....😂🤣

NB : Never sign any contract, out of desperation...... That contract, might eventually become a fish bone, stuck in your throat........ Any contract you sign, ensure you fully understand the terms of engagement.......

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 5:09am On Apr 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

You don't need a union........ You signed an employment contract and want to breach it .......

Unfortunately, you would have to pay 100% fee + all associated logistical costs and administration fees, as stated in your contract....... No employer would touch you(within the legal employment sector), with that active contract hanging on your neck ........

And if they do, your present employer would include them in a joint legal suit (no employer wants this).......

So that employer is not wasting you time, it's you that wants to waste their time & resource........

Resolve your financial and legal lacuna, with your employer. To avoid been embroiled in an employment legality mess ........

Can Saka sign for Arsenal, then decides he wants to play for crystal palace, at the same time (without clearing his employment contract)...... Ko possible....😂🤣

NB : Never sign any contract, out of desperation...... That contract, might eventually become a fish bone, stuck in your throat........ Any contract you sign, ensure you fully understand the terms of engagement.......

Ancient of days, I greet you. I am aware of the contract that I signed and like I said earlier, I am ready to abide by it. Meaning I am ready to pay the fees 100% as stated in the contract. Why is oga still insisting that I am going to work for him for 5 years.

Does the contract say not say "should I no longer be interested, I should pay a certain amount" Isn't that a way to get out of the contract?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 5:16am On Apr 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Saka is ready to clear his employment contract so that he can play for Crystal palace. But Arteta is saying it is not possible. What should Saka do?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:18am On Apr 23, 2023
DeeOneBangin:

Ancient of days, I greet you. I am aware of the contract that I signed and like I said earlier, I am ready to abide by it. Meaning I am ready to pay the fees 100% as stated in the contract. Why is oga still insisting that I am going to work for him for 5 years.

Does the contract say not say "should I no longer be interested, I should pay a certain amount" Isn't that a way to get out of the contract?

Have you asked your employer, the cost to release you from that contract.........

I would estimate over £11,000 ..........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 5:22am On Apr 23, 2023
ukay2:

It depends if there's red light camera at the junction.

Wait for 2 weeks to see if you will get letter....palpitations period for any brown envelopes.

You may likely escape this scenario. Reflect on it and don't break the red light signs.

The rule for me is from far distance, check the traffic lights and if green has been for a long time before l reach the junction, I reduce speed as l am approaching, knowing that it will soon change to Amber to red.

We wey come dey cross road even when light never green for pedestrian nkan?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 5:28am On Apr 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Have you asked your employer, the cost to release you from that contract.........

I would estimate over £11,000 ..........

£11,000 which I would require the breakdown.

Yes, I have asked the cost but oga is just hammering on the fact that I am going to work for him for 5 years. Which is why I brought the matter to nairaland so I can know how to go about it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:30am On Apr 23, 2023
eniola1010:

Ensure you don't get hit, by any vehicle........ You might receive insurance payout....... Of what use would a £100,000 payout be, if one is stuck in a wheelchair and relying on hoist machines........😂🤣

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:31am On Apr 23, 2023
DeeOneBangin:

£11,000 which I would require the breakdown.

Yes, I have asked the cost but oga is just hammering on the fact that I am going to work for him for 5 years. Which is why I brought the matter to nairaland so I can know how to go about it.

You don't have to work for 5 year's, if you're happy to pay the cost of disengagement........

Oga probably likes you and does not want to see you leave ......

Send them an official letter stating your disengagement and terms ........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mrcodebreaker: 5:40am On Apr 23, 2023
Hi all, I’m thinking of buying a 5 bedroom house in Abuja. My intention it will be geared to much more retirement where I will be living. I lived in abuja before relocating in 2019 and I’m currently 31. Do you think it is a wise decision. The developer says 80m naira but 18 month payment plan. My plan is have some investments to make me retire early (FIRE). After retiring then live in naija.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 5:47am On Apr 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

You don't have to work for 5 year's, if you're happy to pay the cost of disengagement........

Oga probably likes you and does not want to see you leave ......

Send them an official letter stating your disengagement and terms ........

From experience, would 2 out of 3 references suffice? since oga has refused to give reference OR I suggest to get a 3rd reference from another previous employer.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:13am On Apr 23, 2023
DeeOneBangin:

From experience, would 2 out of 3 references suffice? since oga has refused to give reference OR I suggest to get a 3rd reference from another previous employer.

So how do you solve that little matter of contract breach ...........

You seem to fancy a day in the court.......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:15am On Apr 23, 2023
mrcodebreaker:
Hi all, I’m thinking of buying a 5 bedroom house in Abuja. My intention it will be geared to much more retirement where I will be living. I lived in abuja before relocating in 2019 and I’m currently 31. Do you think it is a wise decision. The developer says 80m naira but 18 month payment plan. My plan is have some investments to make me retire early (FIRE). After retiring then live in naija.

What age do you intend to retire ........

Do you have the ₦80,000,000 or the ability to pay in 18 months......

Let's say you would £95,000 (considering all charges and associated costs).......

Hopefully, El-Rufai would not visit that site with a bulldozer..........😜🤣

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 6:28am On Apr 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

So how do you solve that little matter of contract breach ...........

You seem to fancy a day in the court.......

I didn't put the clause in that contract, he did.

So whether he likes it or not, he would have to give me the cost of ending the contract since I am no longer interested in the sponsorship as stated in the contract.

I believe he is just stalling.

And again, getting my reference sorted out with prospective employer doesn't even mean I have moved to the company as I have not given my leave notice yet.

Ancient abeg answer this reference question jare. Wait! abi you be my oga ni, wey come dey disguise for nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:52am On Apr 23, 2023
DeeOneBangin:

So whether he likes it or not, he would have to give me the cost of ending the contract since I am no longer interested in the sponsorship as stated in the contract.

And again, getting my reference sorted out with prospective employer doesn't even mean I have moved to the company as I have not given my leave notice yet.

Ancient abeg answer this reference question jare. Wait! abi you be my oga ni, wey come dey disguise for nairaland.

I suspected this response.......😂😜🤣

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 7:09am On Apr 23, 2023
DeeOneBangin:

Is this company owned by an Indian ??
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 7:09am On Apr 23, 2023
rinzylee:

Is this company owned by an Indian ??

Nigerian!!! Always us
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 7:11am On Apr 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:
[/b]

I suspected this response.......😂😜🤣

Bros e reach to ask oooo cos I don’t know why you have refused to see that the contract has an Exit Clause!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:21am On Apr 23, 2023
DeeOneBangin:

Bros e reach to ask oooo cos I don’t know why you have refused to see that the contract has an Exit Clause!!!

The exit clause is clear...... I am just wondering why you don't want to completely shut one door, before opening another........🤣

Send your employer a letter before action, requesting your settlement figure........

Once that figure is settled....... You would receive your last reference....... QED......😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 7:23am On Apr 23, 2023
DeeOneBangin:

Nigerian!!! Always us

Nawa o. They have learnt from Indians.

But.... .. you for no sign that kind contract o. 2 years is the max I can do and that's because they offered relocation package from Nigeria and would pay for my trainings and co.

You gats pay o but he can't force you to work for 5 years. That one na rubbish talk. So request for the financials involved with accurate reciepts.

You may want to renegotiate salary if Oga is just throwing tantrums because he will miss you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by humblemoi: 7:36am On Apr 23, 2023
DeeOneBangin:

You can inform your new employer that your current employer is stalling and may be unwilling to provide you with a reference, then ask for options. Usually they may accept a character reference from someone else, a colleague to attest that you work with the current employer or ask to provide a different reference from elsewhere.

Note that you should not start with the new employer until you have cleared the release clause with your current employer, even if it means pushing on the start with the new employer. You don't want to be caught in any legal battle.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 8:02am On Apr 23, 2023
Peerielass:

That concoction they sell here is not Palm Oil. Carry am cook soup, the next day the colour of the soup will change. I would rather take mine freshly made my village👍

Those wey failed Agric Sci done really enter Lab finally, just like we are seeing our sister that avoided Biology and Science classes mixing organic soap & cream.

Avoid Hospital anyhow U can ooO.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 8:13am On Apr 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Only £7.00......(for peace of mind)😜😂

Saving all the importation and smuggling wàhálà......🤣

My worry is that write-up; 100% Red Palm, like the corruption made many to be selling 65% oil and 35% other substance? Nsogbu di
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:30am On Apr 23, 2023
DoDirtsLikeWorm:

My worry is that write-up; 100% Red Palm, like the corruption made many to be selling 65% oil and 35% other substance? Nsogbu di

Nah by force to chop palm oil ....... We can use alternatives nah .......

- Canola Oil.....

- Rapeseed Oil....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 9:29am On Apr 23, 2023
Ok

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 9:36am On Apr 23, 2023
STENON:
Someone asked my sister to pay £7000 for a 5-year visa sponsorship at care home to work as a care assistant after doing BSc in Nigeria and MSc in the UK. Maka Why

I told her to save the £7000 requested while I was busy applying PGDE for her after MSc grin, now we go send the money home, use am pay for form A while she go return back to school, complete her PGDE while on postgraduate work visa / student visa extension (which ever one comes first) then get the full licence to teach in the UK tongue

I pray the PGDE comes else the study route na long waka sha.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 9:55am On Apr 23, 2023
Ok
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:07am On Apr 23, 2023
STENON:
Someone asked my sister to pay £7000 for a 5-year visa sponsorship at care home to work as a care assistant after doing BSc in Nigeria and MSc in the UK. Maka Why

I told her to save the £7000 requested while I was busy applying PGDE for her after MSc grin, now we go send the money home, use am pay for form A while she go return back to school, complete her PGDE while on postgraduate work visa / student visa extension (which ever one comes first) then get the full licence to teach in the UK tongue .

After paying that £7K, they would not have jobs to offer her, upon arrival........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 10:21am On Apr 23, 2023
I assume He got a new job with NHS, and last I checked, NHS doesn’t accept character reference from new employees.

Please sort out your contract to the end before starting a new job, if you are caught starting a job with your new employer whilst having another contract with your previous employer, na COURT straight. No two way about it. Shalom
humblemoi:

You can inform your new employer that your current employer is stalling and may be unwilling to provide you with a reference, then ask for options. Usually they may accept a character reference from someone else, a colleague to attest that you work with the current employer or ask to provide a different reference from elsewhere.

Note that you should not start with the new employer until you have cleared the release clause with your current employer, even if it means pushing on the start with the new employer. You don't want to be caught in any legal battle.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 10:28am On Apr 23, 2023
eniola1010:

You're endangering yourself and other road users....you may be charged to court if the driver has dash camera to prove you walked against the traffic lights advise.

(1) (2) (3) ... (948) (949) (950) (951) (952) (953) (954) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.