Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,281 members, 7,818,955 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (953) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1181516 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (950) (951) (952) (953) (954) (955) (956) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 5:32pm On Apr 23, 2023
jum33:

I dont think there is any alternative o when it come to taking another empoyment as a sponsored skilled worker as his current employer has a big role to play in the process of changing sponsored jobs .
By law he can't bypass his current employer to take another sponsored employement elsewhere as UKVI cannot even grant him a new COS if his current employer doesnt cancel the current one .Since he still has a binding contract on his neck , he just have to find a way of settlling his contact with his current employer so that he can be gracefully released without any issue.
But come to think of it ,this naija employer wicked no be small sha ,5 years binding contract to work as dom carer ? impossicant embarassed embarassed i am yet to see any carer that can achieve that without breaking his/her back

Where is this bold officially stated in home office documentation or this is an assumption... can this be right ?

I seen one or two people switch without their current employee knowing until after the new cos was issued

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 5:36pm On Apr 23, 2023
LagosismyHome:

I knew it had to be a Nigerian. We always do the most. This care thing is turning to slavery and home office sadly is not doing much to protect people

Where have you heard the UK employer forcing an employee to stay , so annoying. I hope it get sorted. Nobody should force someone to be where the person don't want to be .

People need to read their contracts properly. Properly. Properly.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 5:37pm On Apr 23, 2023
Thanks to everyone for the advice and the bashing.

Even If I am able to get the new visa, I still wont start work until I release myself from the contract and serve my notice.

At least I'm happy that everyone here have seen that my employment contract has an exit/release clause, only my employer has refused to see this. Well I believe his lawyer will explain better to him.

My prospective employer is with the NHS and I have had this conditional offer for about 2 months. In between, I have been satisfying all pre employment checks ( verification of identity and documents, Nigerian police check, dbs, occupational health, etc).

HR has confirmed to me that it remains references and then we proceed to CoS which is why I told them to contact my referees.

Having said this, I have read everyone's opinions and views on the matter and I will act accordingly.

Nairaland family always come through. Thanks guys

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 5:39pm On Apr 23, 2023
BorisJohnson:

People need to read their contracts properly. Properly. Properly.

I read mine properly and I saw the exit clause which is why I signed it. But you are right, people need to read contracts properly properly properly
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rowon(m): 6:25pm On Apr 23, 2023
Hello all,
I need your sincere advice please. I got a job as a relief support worker in December , 2022 in Scotland .On 7th of March I got a 3.30 hrs shift from 6 pm till 9.30pm .As a relief worker i don't have constant shift so after about a week and fews to my next shift I got a call that all my shifts henceforth has been cancelled because some concerns were raised.I was really troubled to know what went wrong, the only thing that came to my mind was maybe because they just employed a new full time staff which might have been given my shifts. Few days later I got a call from the office and our manager asked me to come over next day. I got there next day and she asked if I knew why my shifts was cancelled but I said I don't have an ideal except maybe they got a new staff , but to my surprise she said a service user's DVD
got missing at my last shift and she called me for fact finding. I wrote back and explain that I don't know anything about it . I stated I met a colleague on duty and i shouldn't have been the only one suspected and cancelling my own shift only is already an indictment. I emphasized that if their finds show is a case of theft , they should invite the police and not treat it in house.
Cutting story short , after writing them again not to delay their findings because it affects my integrity and my career . I got a response that the fact finding is" inclusive but they have concluded" . Also they have decided that going forward they will never offer me any shift and they will remove my name from the list of relief staff.
Please how do go about this inclusive but concluded statement
Note I have 4 care offers pending which I have used them as reference before the last email that ended my contract .
Please how can I save my integrity and career.
Thank you for your genuine advice
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 6:40pm On Apr 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Do you have a spare key, anywhere?

If you're renting, your LL or EA would have a spare key......

EA said I should come to their office 20 miles away to pick up the spare key. When I told them I'm barefoot and not properly dressed o.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 6:42pm On Apr 23, 2023
dupyshoo:
What about your neighbours? They might be able to help.

Pakis that make me feel as if I'm neighbours with Bin Laden.

They pretended as if they were not around.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 6:46pm On Apr 23, 2023
dupyshoo:
Tell your new employer that your current employer is stalling. Submit your payslips and bank statements to show that you worked with the employer. Ask of you can give another reference instead.

Once you get your COS and you get your new visa, you will not be able to work with the current employer legally again. Make sure you ask for the associated costs and ensure your communications are recorded. You can't be forced to work for 5 years.

https://www.nhsemployers.org/system/files/2022-03/Employment-History-March-2022.pdf

SECTION 2.8 and 2.8.2 has reflected everything you have said here.

God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 7:02pm On Apr 23, 2023
Chreze:

Just saw this now. Believe you must have found way in. For future and as record for others:

There is something done with a drill to successfully unlock a door. All you need to do is get the lock back and I believe that’s less than £10 to get the new lock with keys. I would have written the process for the drill here, but for security reasons can’t/won’t.

Any unlock situation, ask your neighbors for drill, 80% sure they will have one as DIY is a human in every home in UK. You might be lucky that the owner of the drill knows how to use it for locks and help you do it since he/she knows you live in the house.

A general option is put a spare key under the flower vase in the garden or in your gas heater box outside your home.

Pele. Those blacksmith Abi goldsmith (one of the smith sha) de charge £170 to cut and replace key. UK fit kill person.

Lessons learnt o. It will NEVER happen again.

I searched on YT on how to open the door, came across Macgyver technique, but still didn't work. I eventually got (gold)locksmith to come and open the door. Wasn't funny at all.

Thanks for your ideas.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Prizee1: 7:16pm On Apr 23, 2023
Hello, please can I put my care home address on my child's skilled worker dependent visa consent letter since that is the adress I used for visa application as where I would be staying in the UK. Your quick response would be highly appreciated. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Drey1: 7:22pm On Apr 23, 2023
Prizee1:
Hello, please can I put my care home address on my child's skilled worker dependent visa consent letter since that is the adress I used for visa application as where I would be staying in the UK. Your quick response would be highly appreciated. Thank you

Yes
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:29pm On Apr 23, 2023
Tinyemeka:

EA said I should come to their office 20 miles away to pick up the spare key. When I told them I'm barefoot and not properly dressed o.

Simple...... Send them money to put key, in a taxi ......😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:39pm On Apr 23, 2023
DoDirtsLikeWorm:

Wahala be like Portable.
Sho efe fa werey L'onyo? (Now assuming U are Yoruba ooO).
No mind how I write am, if u vex write in IGBO for me lol...

I hear say e dey sweet them too...... That's why we dey see them, with pregnancy........😂😜

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 8:16pm On Apr 23, 2023
Prizee1:

Depends. .are you already in the UK or not . ?

If already in UK then for child you have to show you have suitable accommodation
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solveabode(m): 8:25pm On Apr 23, 2023
CheesyTee:

It's not. I was in a similar situation last year although, I didn't take any step aside contact LL but he didn't do anything. I later moved out cos the condition of the house was so poor but I was told I could have reported LL to the council.

Thank you. I don't plan to report but have the intention of writing them tomorrow.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 8:36pm On Apr 23, 2023
Viruses:

So if you are in Nigeria, a company gives you job offer with visa sponsorship for 5 years and a breakout clause, you will say no you want 2 years visa sponsorship or remain in Nigeria and continue to apply for job?

For me, if they give me 2 years, I will ask if they can make it 5.

The truth is I'm actually in a licensed profession and better offers always come around daily. I have gotten way higher paying jobs since I came. I can't tie myself to a 5 year contract.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:15pm On Apr 23, 2023
Should you join a union because of this, not necessarily. Can you, yes, you may. Most unions might see you as joining them to be used. However, you can reach out to a union in your new (prospective) employer (you indicated NHS). They might be keen! No guarantees!!

As regarding whether you should swap your 3rd reference (current employer) or whether you should engage your new prospective employer, I honestly cannot say. I still need to think this hard. However, can you, yes, you can. Should you, that comes with lotta options/scenario evaluation.

Your contract extracted
2. Should you no longer be interested in sponsorship then please do let us know as a matter of urgency. Solicitor and Home Office fees 100% repayable AND Office Admin Charges applies. The Skilled Worker Visa for the Employee terminating the contract early is revoked.
3. NVQ2-4 Training Fee repayment.
4. COS Charges

It appears your current employer's Solicitor is not adept in labour law, although might be versed in law. Certain aspects will fall by the wayside at the Employment Tribunal. However, is that where you want to end, I supposed not.

The 4. COS Charges ought not to be written as they've done. It exposes them to scrutiny of the Home Office. Scrutiny in the sense that, you've exonerated them from asking you to pay for your CoS when you were joining the.

Regarding no 3, NVQ 2 to 4 training, did your current employer sent you for this trainings beforehand or even after joining them. Seemly, the wording suggest that these trainings were provided before joining. Can they claim, yes, they can. Is it ethical, probably not.
If the training was before the commencement, without them, you can determine the approximate simply by
- checking the training provider site/brochure, deduce the training price and certificate
- requesting a quote from the training provider as just like any interested person in their training program
If, the training was provided after you joined your current employer, you can checked if per chance, these costs were in the correspondences between you and your current employer when you were being sent for these trainings.
PS: For both (pre or during employment) your employer ought to provide you with these costs irrespective.

When it comes to no 2. Two things can pan out
Await your current employer to feedback to you from or through their Solicitor, since they've indicated to you that they are consulting their Solicitor. Follow up with them about a week after; if they've not reverted back to you.
You can actualised no. 2, by sending them a termination notice (0ne month or gracious 2 mths). They are obliged to accept and finalise no 2 exit clause. They are now duty bound to give you 'due costs' with breakdown. PS: this comes with attendant risk of hedging your new prospective employer of proceeding with a job offer (and ultimately their (NHS) CoS sponsorship).

In the aftermath of your current employer 'refusing' to write a reference for you, you can follow YouKay ACAS suggestions here

The no 1, is interesting. It leaves room for ambiguity. The joy of every lawyer!!!
You indicated you've spent upward of 1yr. The extract of your contract stated that ... you have 3 yrs sponsorship in the instant, and expectation/guaranteed 2 yrs after.
Technically, you have 'servanthood' of 3 yrs at the moment. To become 'bond free', you must serve out the remaining two years or buy out the remaining 2yrs.
Obviously, your current employer Solicitor will assert that you have an obligation of 5yrs and that you must serve it out. They have a point. However, I'm certain, they are mistaken inadvertently or intentionally!
If and should they insist that you must serve out the full years (which remain less than 4yrs), or even if they agree that your bond years is 3yrs, and that you must serve it out, then, they've pushed themselves to another corner of the ring for a jab and possible KO. Why, because be demanding serving out the bond years without an option of 'buy out', you can conveniently inform them that they are perpetrating modern day slavery. You can report them accordingly should they persists or remain adamant. Read more on modern day slavery
NB: They will certainly fight back on this. In all certainty, their attack will be on technicalities (of definition of 'modern slavery'. Well, you stick to an aspect of modern slavery as defined in the Modern Slavery Act ... servitude or required to perform forced or compulsory labour ...

Lastly, as to whether you can seek and get another CoS, yes you can. What you however cannot do is to run them concurrently. You must update your Skilled Worker visa. [link]: See YouKay gov
All the best. Remain optimistic and prayerful
PS: this is not a binding legal advisory as contemplated in law
DeeOneBangin:
... ... I am currently employed in a domiciliary care company with sponsorship (I did not pay) and after spending a year with the company, I have decided to move on. Luckily for me I have found a better job with sponsorship and all pre employment checks have been fulfilled. According to my prospective HR, the only thing remaining for me is to provide 3 references and then we proceed to CoS stage.
I have provided my prospective employer with the 3 referees as requested ( 2 from previous employers and 1 from current employer). The 2 previous employers have responded and I have gotten a confirmation that it has been accepted. It remains only my current employer and after talking to him about it, he said he would not attend to the reference and he [b]would have to talk to his lawyer first because the contract says I have to work in his company for 5 years.[/b]

Attached is a screen shot of the contract that I signed and I am ready to abide by it.
Please guys I need your response on what to do as I believe he wants to waste my time.

Can I also inform my prospective employer of the current situation and ask if they are happy to proceed to CoS stage with the 2 references that they already have OR if I can provide a 3rd reference from another previous employer in the UK?
Do I need to join a union because of this issue?

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 9:26pm On Apr 23, 2023
rinzylee:

The truth is I'm actually in a licensed profession and better offers always come around daily. I have gotten way higher paying jobs since I came. I can't tie myself to a 5 year contract.
You should have mentioned that if you have offers to choose from, you won't pick the one with 5 years. But you sounded like the OP made a wrong decision.

I put it to you, you didn't turn down offers before you came, you are turning down offers because you are here already. You jumped at the first offer you got while still in Nigeria.

Let us not use our privileged positions to judge others.

15 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:32pm On Apr 23, 2023
On April 15, @Ticha was on 'duty' on the Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related thread
Seems Fatima or has been busy with ILR
No update yet on @Mamatukwas and @TheGuyFromHR since March 19
semmyk:
... ... As for Mamatukwas, hmmm, Last seen na Jan 20. Even Parenting in the UK don the miss am.
TheGuyFromHR still dey kampe as at 02 Mar. Just be say no post since him last here 12 Dec last year
BorisJohnson:
People I haven’t seen in a long time:
Mamatukwas
Fatima04
Ticha
TheGuyFromHR
Aphrodite007
Aprokodaughter
Sgtponzihater1
RalphJean
RalphLauren
Inspectorgrundy
Mimmylyrics
Duchess90

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 9:53pm On Apr 23, 2023
Viruses:

You should have mentioned that if you have offers to choose from, you won't pick the one with 5 years. But you sounded like the OP made a wrong decision.

I put it to you, you didn't turn down offers before you came, you are turning down offers because you are here already. You jumped at the first offer you got while still in Nigeria.

Let us not use our privileged positions to judge others.

Now this is where you are wrong when you try to assert my circumstance. You do not know me, you never did interviews with me. You can not say what I did or didn't do.

If it is too hard to understand that I am being objective when I say I can not jump on a closed contract tying me down to a compulsory 5 years, then let it be.

Dear sir,

I had more than 5 jobs lined up while I was in Nigeria and I was far from desperate. I needn't tell you more...it's not necessary.

Once again...I am in a licensed profession and NHS needs me to function effectively. I walked into UK like a freshly crowned Prince.

Cheers!!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 10:01pm On Apr 23, 2023
Good evening everyone!

1) Please has anyone recently applied for a UK police criminal records clearance certificate ?

2) how long does it take on the average for Same to be issued from Nigeria since one is in the UK here?

3) Does anyone have any recent ielts academics brush up materials...my head dey rusty for now.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hayesconcept(m): 10:17pm On Apr 23, 2023
1. Uk police criminal records clearance = DBS. Your company can help you do it

2. I got my naija PCC within three days. Everything is now done online. The cost is 30k naira
rinzylee:
Good evening everyone!

1) Please has anyone recently applied for a UK police criminal records clearance certificate ?

2) how long does it take on the average for Same to be issued from Nigeria since one is in the UK here?

3) Does anyone have any recent ielts academics brush up materials...my head dey rusty for now.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 10:27pm On Apr 23, 2023
jum33:

I dont think there is any alternative o when it come to taking another empoyment as a sponsored skilled worker as his current employer has a big role to play in the process of changing sponsored jobs .
By law he can't bypass his current employer to take another sponsored employement elsewhere as UKVI cannot even grant him a new COS if his current employer doesnt cancel the current one .Since he still has a binding contract on his neck , he just have to find a way of settlling his contact with his current employer so that he can be gracefully released without any issue.
But come to think of it ,this naija employer wicked no be small sha ,5 years binding contract to work as dom carer ? impossicant embarassed embarassed i am yet to see any carer that can achieve that without breaking his/her back

That's not true.

You can leave a job with 3 yr cos even 6 weeks after starting provided you have given your notice period.
There are clear laws against anti-slavery and poor labour tactics. If the employer messes up, they stand to loose more.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by habhidhemhii: 10:37pm On Apr 23, 2023
rinzylee:

Now this is where you are wrong when you try to assert my circumstance. You do not know me, you never did interviews with me. You can not say what I did or didn't do.

If it is too hard to understand that I am being objective when I say I can not jump on a closed contract tying me down to a compulsory 5 years, then let it be.

Dear sir,

I had more than 5 jobs lined up while I was in Nigeria and I was far from desperate. I needn't tell you more...it's not necessary.

Once again...I am in a licensed profession and NHS needs me to function effectively. I walked into UK like a freshly crowned Prince.

Cheers!!
Walahi you are saying exactly what he's saying. You had stronger positions to pick the best option for yourself. Not many have that.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 10:44pm On Apr 23, 2023
hayesconcept:
1. Uk police criminal records clearance = DBS. Your company can help you do it

2. I got my naija PCC within three days. Everything is now done online. The cost is 30k naira

Thanks @ the naija PCC.

Is DBS same as UK PCC? I ask because I think they differ based on usage. DBS is internal but a PCC is for emigration.

The licensing body is specifically requesting for a Police criminal records certificate.

What do you think sir?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 10:46pm On Apr 23, 2023
habhidhemhii:
Walahi you are saying exactly what he's saying. You had stronger positions to pick the best option for yourself. Not many have that.

No sir.

He is saying I was desperate and took whatever was thrown my way and ran blindly not caring what was on the paper, because I wanted to escape to UK.

Just free the topic...

I no go give my own opinion for this kind matter again.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 10:54pm On Apr 23, 2023
rinzylee:

Dear sir,

Cheers!!

Wow!!!
I never knew Physiotherapists were in such very high demand in the UK, to the extend of walking in like freshly crowned princes. Time for me to change career. Physiotherapy is it, then.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by orshore(m): 10:56pm On Apr 23, 2023
okonja:

All you need from A-Z is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGx1QNdYzvs

All the best

Thanks . God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 10:57pm On Apr 23, 2023
See as I dey reply mention up and down come forget say today na my 1 year anniversary.

Landed April 23rd, 2022 and didn't get into my Accomodation till 11.30pm.

Make una follow me thank God as 1 year don waka pass.

We don start 200level

2/5 class now 😁 😂

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 10:59pm On Apr 23, 2023
KOVIC19COVID20:

Wow!!!
I never knew Physiotherapists were in such very high demand in the UK, to the extend of walking in like freshly crowned princes. Time for me to change career. Physiotherapy is it, then.

Haha.....na who dey do underground investigation like this on top my head.

Yeah....physios are in such huge demand.

I am actually stuck between loyalty to my organisation vs my personal interests at this point.

Keep winning my dear friend!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 11:22pm On Apr 23, 2023
hayesconcept:

Biko can you supply me the website? Been searching Google... all I can see are individual's adverts?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 11:25pm On Apr 23, 2023
Tinyemeka:

Pakis that make me feel as if I'm neighbours with Bin Laden.

They pretended as if they were not around.
Paki is a racist/derogatory word. Avoid using it!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (950) (951) (952) (953) (954) (955) (956) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.