Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,841 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (992) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177780 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (989) (990) (991) (992) (993) (994) (995) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hwy9: 11:09am On May 11, 2023
rinzylee:
Good morning wonderful busy people, abeg I dey do small travel.

Can I operate my Lloyd and REVOLUT account outside the UK, especially in Africa?

Can't one actually live life here without needing a credit card?

Abeg any shop dey do sales? I wan buy small things for home people - ladies mostly

Yes sir, you can operate your account anywhere
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 11:32am On May 11, 2023
pheranmie:

If you have collected from natwest I doubt you will get get from rbs I might be wrong but you can check the terms and conditions and see for yourself

You might be right, because natwest app and rbs app looks so similar with the same function. And funny enough, na natwest I switch to rbsπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜†
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gergemam: 11:41am On May 11, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Zero % for 24 months........ This what you call, shop till you drop......πŸ˜œπŸ‘

Nah you teach me daddy πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Make I dey Jump 🦘
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 11:41am On May 11, 2023
Phayie:

You might be right, because natwest app and rbs app looks so similar with the same function. And funny enough, na natwest I switch to rbsπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜†

He is correct - you won’t qualify for the switching bonus because they belong to the same group. Same as HSBC and First Direct
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 11:53am On May 11, 2023
Peerielass:

He is correct - you won’t qualify for the switching bonus because they belong to the same group. Same as HSBC and First Direct

Fingers crossed 🀞. When I switch to first direct I was asked if I have HSBC account because if I've benefited from HSBC I won't qualify for first direct switch bonus. But for rbs such question wasn't asked. Although I have the feeling that I may not qualify for the bonus, but still I have hope
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 11:57am On May 11, 2023
Hwy9:

Yes sir, you can operate your account anywhere

Oh really. A colleague mentioned Lloyd can block your account if you try to access it from Africa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 12:02pm On May 11, 2023
Depends on the account type you open
hustla:

Heard there are caveats to it and monthly Payments to make. How true is this pls?

That's the reason why I haven't tried to make the switch

Looking to switch my starling
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 12:03pm On May 11, 2023
I switchedmy Chase current account. No, i didnt use credit card
rinzylee:

They kept saying I am not qualified. Do you use a credit card? I have no form of credits.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:08pm On May 11, 2023
CheesyTee:
Depends on the account type you open

So the normal current account one wont come with payments right?

Looks like Chase cant be switched for Firstdirect

https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/banks-building-societies/
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yomisley: 12:19pm On May 11, 2023
Hello everyone,

Suppose a person enters the UK with the sponsorship of a care home but is no longer interested in the job and finds a white-collar job. If the company is willing to sponsor them, is it possible to switch jobs?

I am also considering obtaining certification in the construction field. Is this achievable?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 12:23pm On May 11, 2023
You can switch jobs, switch visas as much as you want .. . No restrictions about this

yomisley:
Hello everyone,

Suppose a person enters the UK with the sponsorship of a care home but is no longer interested in the job and finds a white-collar job. If the company is willing to sponsor them, is it possible to switch jobs?

I am also considering obtaining certification in the construction field. Is this achievable?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 12:30pm On May 11, 2023
HollyMadison:
UK and Nigeria are not the same. It’s wrong to equate London to Lagos, Sunderland to jigawa,, you’re not helping yourself…. electricity, water, internet, jobs etc are everywhere in UK.

You don’t have to move to the north and start looking for jobs. Apply to jobs in the north or remote/hybrid first, and relocate if you get something with good pay.

Choking yourselves in London will only restrict your growth. People in the north are using half of your London 6 figure salary to take care of their families and get on the property ladder.

I’m not trying to debate, just open your mind and spread your wings.

You guys make a good point actually.

BUT, you forget some of us actually love the bubbly life and cultural diversity of working in London. Even in Lagos, I worked in 4 different Companies and they were all in Victoria Island and all through, lived in Lekki. People always lectured me to move to the Mainland but I told them "not everyone will stay on the Mainland". It's a choice, an expensive one that comes with pros and cons but it's a choice regardless.

Working in London is just what some of us want. My former job was Remote and I hated it. I prefer Hybrid where I can be colocated with teammates and collaborate physically. I love the "beauty" of working out of the 12th floor of a high-rise building in Canary Wharf, etc. Maybe when I get older, I will consider working in quieter Cities. I want my Youthful working years here for now.

And no, "working in London isn't choking my growth", you are terribly wrong on that. No, you can't say "I'm not helping myself". And yes, I can get on the property ladder as easily as (or easier than) my mates in the North. Lots of assumptions. grin

Now you also assumed we wanna LIVE in London. Nope, not me. UK is different from Nigeria, US, Canada in its beautiful transport which means I can live as far as Northampton in a house of 200k or rent of Β£800 and get to London in 1 hour for work if I need to. In fact, I can live in Wales and get to London with Β£8!

The conversation is to get good Cities that are close enough and yet affordable enough for those of us who choose to work in London. I'm not sure how that means "my mind is not open" or "my wings are not spread" grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 12:41pm On May 11, 2023
CheesyTee:
I switchedmy Chase current account. No, i didnt use credit card

Nawa o....maybe they don't like me. I tried switching my Starlin. Freshly opened though. I seem to have fallen in love with my NatWest. Not thinking if shutting it down.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:42pm On May 11, 2023
Zahra29:

My MiL retired as a matron. Trained on the job πŸ˜„

Exactly my point........ πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 12:47pm On May 11, 2023
Earlier this year, Google paid $1bn for a new office location in London as they're betting on people eventually returning to the office. Many big Tech firms are on hybrid and most are not Remote.

Speaking of property, with the way London is blowing up and becoming one of the most expensive Cities in the world, getting a property closeby isn't the worst idea. A friend of mine got a BTL property in Cambridge, close to London some years back. The value has skyrocketed and is approaching Β£1m for a normal 3 bed house.

As long as it is well-priced, getting a more expensive (than the North) property in a City close to the London is not the waste of money y'all portray it to be.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:49pm On May 11, 2023
profemebee:
I didn't want to comment on the matter, but generally this whole rent is dead money talk fit put people in trouble...

Mortgage is beyond deposit fees.. you still have other fees to pay..

Also, there are other heavy financial costs like renovations (if it applies to you) and then eventually the cost of fixing anything that happens in the house while you live there which you won't necessarily pay for if you were renting as most times, the landlord will fix it.

Lets not even talk about the Interest rate (that will increase yet again) which has made mortgage payments even more expensive than renting.

Yes, owning your house is Better than renting because it is yours, and you're not paying anyone.. but Please be ready financially.. it is deeper than just having deposit money

Please lets educate ourselves before going on that journey.. find NL threads on mortgage especially from people who just did theirs recently..

I come in Peace

After all said and done....... Rent money, is still DEAD money....... 🀣

Renovations is a continuous process (during covid, I gutted my whole kitchen)...... 2 months after, I gutted all my toilets and converted all my bathtubs to showers...... Last month, I gutted all my bedrooms....

The amount of equity I have accrued, if I was renting, that would be an impossibility....... πŸ™„πŸ€£

Would you rather pay for survey, stamp duty, conveyancing (now we have lenders offering 0% deposit) or continually rent........ 😝

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:56pm On May 11, 2023
rinzylee:

You don carry this naija comparison come here?

Think outside the box...... 🀣😍
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 1:06pm On May 11, 2023
You may read more on brokers and options on the mortgage thread.
labiola:
Bros, we are both on the same page on this mortgage wahala. This two years requirement to get a mortgage is messing me up. I just got an offer to buy a house but these lenders are asking me to bring 25%. The thing pain me oh.
profemebee:
... ...
Mortgage is beyond deposit fees.. you still have other fees to pay.. ... ...
@all: For Skipton and related, head over to the mortgage thread for insight.
Ticha:
... ... Skipton is one of the lenders that are very flexible and sensible when it comes to lending. ... ...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 1:13pm On May 11, 2023
Flesh and blood has not revealed these to y'all
Jlaw1:
... ...
Kindly permit me to comment on your post. It's very lengthy, but I hope it's not too boring or intellectual.
CowbellY:
... ...
Nevertheless, I think they just need to find a way to hear each other. ... ....
May we all walk circumspectly, in wisdom and grace. #IreeO
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:53pm On May 11, 2023
Leeds Building Society...... Would consider your Spotify, netflix etc etc .......😜

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/05/leeds-becomes-first-lender-to-factor-netflix-and-spotify-into-mo/

The market is looking good for FTB.......... πŸ€£πŸ˜‚

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by profemebee(m): 2:38pm On May 11, 2023
you tried ooo.. that smells like a lot of moneyyyyyy

yea Owning is better, but people need to educate themselves so they're better prepared

0% deposit means the monthly mortgage payments will be higher right? hmmm

Lexusgs430:

After all said and done....... Rent money, is still DEAD money....... 🀣

Renovations is a continuous process (during covid, I gutted my whole kitchen)...... 2 months after, I gutted all my toilets and converted all my bathtubs to showers...... Last month, I gutted all my bedrooms....

The amount of equity I have accrued, if I was renting, that would be an impossibility....... πŸ™„πŸ€£

Would you rather pay for survey, stamp duty, conveyancing (now we have lenders offering 0% deposit) or continually rent........ 😝
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 3:36pm On May 11, 2023
Any shop doing sales?

Abeg nah
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hwy9: 3:42pm On May 11, 2023
rinzylee:

Oh really. A colleague mentioned Lloyd can block your account if you try to access it from Africa.

Strange though. I have used only Revolut and Monzo outside the UK. I never experienced any issues. It's possible his bank has some requirements or procedures to be performed before you can operate outside the UK. He should check with them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 5:10pm On May 11, 2023
I switched starling account to Royal Bank of Scotland and i got Β£200 bonus
rinzylee:

Nawa o....maybe they don't like me. I tried switching my Starlin. Freshly opened though. I seem to have fallen in love with my NatWest. Not thinking if shutting it down.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 5:14pm On May 11, 2023
If you have a saving accoutn with chase, you have to close it before the switch can happen.

I switched chase to first direct
hustla:

So the normal current account one wont come with payments right?

Looks like Chase cant be switched for Firstdirect

https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/banks-building-societies/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:23pm On May 11, 2023
CheesyTee:
If you have a saving accoutn with chase, you have to close it before the switch can happen.

I switched chase to first direct

Okay then, I will try it today
Thanks!

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:23pm On May 11, 2023
rinzylee:

They didn't block mine

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:24pm On May 11, 2023
rinzylee:

UI is too sweet and clean to the eye
Lloyds bank needs to look at it and do better grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 5:36pm On May 11, 2023
hustla:

UI is too sweet and clean to the eye
Lloyds bank needs to look at it and do better grin

Haha no be lie o.

Well Lloyd's gives me overdraft with low interest. I dey use am do sharp business deals
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:39pm On May 11, 2023
rinzylee:

Haha no be lie o.

Well Lloyd's gives me overdraft with low interest. I dey use am do sharp business deals

How much can you take and does it affect your Credit score?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 5:48pm On May 11, 2023
Jlaw1:

I'm super glad that you saw through the illusion of young/old woman in the picture. You've got beauty and brains. That's why you are my first love on NL kiss

But this picture again illustrates the importance of not jumping to conclusions. One may be looking at a picture and seeing the wrong image. Depending on one's perspective, that picture may be that of a young lady or that of an old woman. As they say, every story has at least two sides.

It's called Scotoma, the eye sees what it chooses to see.
I looked at your pictures from start to finish, na old Mama dey there; nothing changed, only that she threw her face then other side.

What is it with the picture tho? I never understood why you so much making emphasis on the photos you are reposting?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 6:00pm On May 11, 2023
hustla:

How much can you take and does it affect your Credit score?

I took Β£1500 for 30 days, paid back on tye 10th day.

My credit score went up by 5 points

(1) (2) (3) ... (989) (990) (991) (992) (993) (994) (995) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.