Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,959 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (995) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176374 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (992) (993) (994) (995) (996) (997) (998) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 6:45pm On May 12, 2023
deept:

this is not digging anything. it will be strategic merger.
Well...the mullah get weight shaa.
I drew calculator and about £11k/m flashed my face @about £72/h.

Na iron lady she be shaa.
If I dey get that kind one, na my village IGWE I go travel to dethrone...him dey craze? grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 6:46pm On May 12, 2023
profemebee:
hopefully, paying for my child's application with my card will be possible.. they don't expect a child to have a bank card already

You need to register you credit/debit card on site. and it would allow you make payment. It took about 24hrs to get a response.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Dygeasy(m): 6:56pm On May 12, 2023
hustla:

cheesy

Bonuses are supposed to help son of man with expensive IT certifications. Oga Lexus can dash me the £1,750 though

What God cannot do, does not exist. grin
the spirit of that £18k dude has entered you. cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 7:06pm On May 12, 2023
Aphrodite007:

Ah I’m present oo! Sorry been flirting with the Canada thread because I wan leave una, run comot from this country.

Loads of things are wrong with the system that me I can’t shout about because if naija was ok, I won’t be here in the first place!!

My recent annoyance (ignoring the cost of living) is that it seems PSV is a scam. Most companies aren’t a recruiting graduates on PSV simply cos they may need sponsorship eventually.. but how come care homes are giving sponsorship like pure water??

So experienced people that ran from naija due to end SARS/buhari will come here and their only career for the next 5 years will be care? Haba! (PS nothing wrong with working in care but some of us did it as students not a career path. I’m offended they are stealing peoples potential!)

I love you all, but UK problem, ike a gwosiri’m -sorry igbo isn’t my first language- (it sha means my power have finish).

Funny thing is that I got a call from a friend this afternoon, he is a permanent resident due to get his Canadian passport by the end of the year. He was asking what it took for a canadian citizen to relocate to the UK. I was taken aback and asked why he would want to do that, He gave a long list of reasons that were similar to reason why some people here in the uk want to go to canada. Me wey still dey put one eye for canada. Our preliminary search while still on the call showed that Canadian citizens still need sponsored visa(t2) to live and work here. Who would have known? I have come to realize that people would move across the world for various reasons , even now, there are people moving back to naija even though throngs of people are japaing from there in droves. Abeg aphrodite keep one travelling bag for me make I stowaway inside as you dey go. grin

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 7:17pm On May 12, 2023
Aphrodite007:

Ah I’m present oo! Sorry been flirting with the Canada thread because I wan leave una, run comot from this country.

Loads of things are wrong with the system that me I can’t shout about because if naija was ok, I won’t be here in the first place!!

My recent annoyance (ignoring the cost of living) is that it seems PSV is a scam. Most companies aren’t a recruiting graduates on PSV simply cos they may need sponsorship eventually.. but how come care homes are giving sponsorship like pure water??

So experienced people that ran from naija due to end SARS/buhari will come here and their only career for the next 5 years will be care? Haba! (PS nothing wrong with working in care but some of us did it as students not a career path. I’m offended they are stealing peoples potential!)

I love you all, but UK problem, ike a gwosiri’m -sorry igbo isn’t my first language- (it sha means my power have finish).

A friend of mine said thank God in her time there was no carer visa because it would have forced her to go down this route.

Because I think the downside is you are seeing less and less of sponsorship and more and more mainly in care visa typing someone for 5 years. While in 20 years it probably won't matter because I suspect once they get ILR there would be massive japa from care job to other sector . BUT UK and the home office love such. They want to keep everyone poor....so this tying people in minimum wage job is a massive win for home office. .

I don't even know what I am ranting here but so many people are not able to work in their profession now and just tied to care which annoys me. I came in during hsmp time and that was better. Many people used hsmp and worked in their relevant field and spent 5 years growing and building ... This one they are doing now is modern days slavery jare ..... can't wait for a change in government.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:28pm On May 12, 2023
Dygeasy:
the spirit of that £18k dude has entered you. cheesy

cheesy grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:30pm On May 12, 2023
Dygeasy:
the evil spirit of that £18k dude has entered you. cheesy

Modified*
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:22pm On May 12, 2023
999 ain't determinant. Some threads runs into #1092, some into #6979. JustSayingNio
Keep calm, enjoy the wind, enjoy Living in the YouKay thread | keep spinning it like a 🧵
DoDirtsLikeWorm:
I would want to see the thread hit a Thousand before being closed or atleast (999). shocked
AgentXxx:
This thread will be closed on or before Monday 15th may 2023 - Agentradamus. 😇
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adeoluwadrumz: 8:25pm On May 12, 2023
Like obtain a Skilled worker visa myself so I just wanted to know if it's going to cost me the same amount as the normal work visa
mizGene:

Source your visa from where? You mean have a different visa sponsor from your current offer employer or what?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 8:47pm On May 12, 2023
I prophesied that it will hit it on or before Monday.
DoDirtsLikeWorm:

I would want to see the thread hit a Thousand before being closed or atleast (999). shocked

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:56pm On May 12, 2023
Adeoluwadrumz:
Like obtain a Skilled worker visa myself so I just wanted to know if it's going to cost me the same amount as the normal work visa
mizGene:

Source your visa from where? You mean have a different visa sponsor from your current offer employer or what?
Essentially, your Skilled Worker visa is tied to a CoS issued by/for an employer+and not another. You can do 'extra' with another employee within the same 'sector' for up to 20hr additional
semmyk:
... ...
Overview from Gov.uk
A Skilled Worker visa allows you to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with an approved employer.
This visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa.
... ...
Below from the Skilled Worker thread provide useful link
dee1504:
https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/how-much-it-costs
https://www.gov.uk/health-care-worker-visa/how-much-it-costs

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by profemebee(m): 9:07pm On May 12, 2023
thanks

Progressivegee:

You do not need a transit visa if you are laying over at casablanca. Transit visa is only required if you will be laying over at any of the EU countries' airport
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tier4Dependant: 9:47pm On May 12, 2023
Adeoluwadrumz:
I NEED HELP!!!

And I hope I'm in the right space. tongue

I have a Job offer letter for a Job in the NHS UK but they opted not to offer sponsorship as the annual salary isn't up to the sponsor able threshold.

I have the opportunity to source for my visa so I wanted to be sure what exactly I will need to pull this through. Any travel expert in the house please help.

Thanks
Adeoluwa.

What role is this and what band? Is it a full time job?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 10:07pm On May 12, 2023
Hmmm ...I think you might be required to register the card on their platform first since its not your passport.

profemebee:
hopefully, paying for my child's application with my card will be possible.. they don't expect a child to have a bank card already

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Iruobe1987: 10:27pm On May 12, 2023
bigtt76:
Hmmm ...I think you might be required to register the card on their platform first since its not your passport.

I used my card to pay for daughter's renewal and it was successful.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phenmeson(m): 10:40pm On May 12, 2023
bigtt76:
Log on to the Nigeria immigration website and select UK as your processing country. You will redirected to Innovate1service website where you go ahead to fill out your forms and pay online. Ensure that the name on your debit/credit card matches the name on your passport. The process is straightforward and something you can do yourself.

It seems the website is change now.
Payment is done by a different website.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 11:06pm On May 12, 2023
Santa2:

Funny thing is that I got a call from a friend this afternoon, he is a permanent resident due to get his Canadian passport by the end of the year. He was asking what it took for a canadian citizen to relocate to the UK. I was taken aback and asked why he would want to do that, He gave a long list of reasons that were similar to reason why some people here in the uk want to go to canada. Me wey still dey put one eye for canada. Our preliminary search while still on the call showed that Canadian citizens still need sponsored visa(t2) to live and work here. Who would have known? I have come to realize that people would move across the world for various reasons , even now, there are people moving back to naija even though throngs of people are japaing from there in droves. Abeg aphrodite keep one travelling bag for me make I stowaway inside as you dey go. grin

I say that all the time here. People move for many reasons and some move just because. The husbot works in a global civil engineering consultancy. The company actively encourages staff to move and work in other branches and a lot of the staff take advantage of it! They won't sponsor your visa unless you fill a particular niche but if you ask for a transfer, the answer will be yes! You don't even need manager approval, just HR.

Someone called me greedy because I said we were thinking of moving to Canada or the US - our pull to leave NZ is not even an economic or health one. We have Nigeria on the list of countries to consider because we will be going as expats so it works for us at this time (husbot's company has a branch there). We're at a stage in our lives and careers where we can move just because and it's a great place to be!

Fortunately or unfortunately, we've decided the next place we move to, we have to be there for 6 years minimum so the children can finish secondary school. This means, depending on where we move to, we may end up with another passport which is not necessarily a bad thing! It creates freedom of movement.

I can't wait for them to head off to university. I will move countries every 2 years!

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SamReinvented: 1:51am On May 13, 2023
For those looking for sponsorship… there’s a simple cheat-code:
1. Don’t waste your time applying randomly! Before you even click on the apply button, google the company and know if they sponsor. You can even go further to google if they sponsor for that specific role/level. If the story no too clear, no waste your time.
2. Best bet is usually to apply to the big/multinational firms and avoid their London office (if you see the option to choose your office) to increase your chances of getting offers. Everyone else has the same genius idea as you of “na London o”, so there’s usually lesser competition for the other offices.

Additional points
3. Don’t sound desperate for sponsorship during the interview. Don’t even bring it up AT ALL during the process (do your own research and get the info independently). Wait till you get the offer and then bring it up if they are not offering it already.
4. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot by mentioning/suggesting PSV after your offer. As far as you’re concerned, you’re currently on a student visa and you would need a skilled worker visa to start your work after graduating. Stick to the story.
5. Turn down offers promising to sponsor you later on. It’s a trap/scam.

It goes without saying that you should have the required skills for the job you’re applying to and know the rudiments of job applications in the UK. Overall, just be very intentional with your search and make sure you’re tailoring it to the goal of getting sponsorship.

Abeg I no fit argue. If you don’t agree with me, no need to quote me to express it. I respect your point smiley. God bless.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 5:43am On May 13, 2023
I greet o my people, it's been a minute! smiley

Please, my son has an appointment at the Nigeria Embassy in London to renew his expired passport in 2 weeks time. The appointment time is 11am so I would like to confirm from those who have been there recently if it's possible to conclude the process latest 5pm on same day.

Reason I'm asking is because we live in the North-West area and would like to go and return by train on same day to avoid cost of lodging in BnB and for my son not to miss school for 2 days.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 6:51am On May 13, 2023
Sometimes this UK will frustrate you….

Been trying to move house since, got the one I like and credit check and referencing was carried out, which came out good but the agent is still asking for a guarantor due to the fact that wifey hasn’t been self-employed for up to a year and husby salary ranges between £28,407 - £30,000 as a permanent employee….

Una go dey increase rent but refuse to increase salary and make renting difficult for residents…

Shown payslips and rental history with good credit worthiness BUT all these oversabi House agents still dey ask for 2 Guarantors… Who wan guarantee person wey dey no know…

Olagbara ooo…. Never had a good sleep since yesterday…
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adeoluwadrumz: 6:52am On May 13, 2023
It's a CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR (Band 2) role and yes it's a full time Job
Tier4Dependant:

What role is this and what band? Is it a full time job?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:35am On May 13, 2023
DadR:

Please, my son has an appointment at the Nigeria Embassy in London to renew his expired passport in 2 weeks time. The appointment time is 11am so I would like to confirm from those who have been there recently if it's possible to conclude the process latest 5pm on same day.

Reason I'm asking is because we live in the North-West area and would like to go and return by train on same day to avoid cost of lodging in BnB and for my son not to miss school for 2 days.

Thank you.

Yes as long as he gets there as early as 6.30-7AM so as to avoid long queue.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Focus99: 7:38am On May 13, 2023
Thanks for this information it will go a long way

Dygeasy:
Eastbourne is your best bet as it's closer to Sussex Uni and Brighton's city center as a whole. You also don't want to be too far away from job locations/opportunities. Brighton offers that in abundance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Focus99: 7:39am On May 13, 2023
This will go a long way. Thank you

Progressivegee:

I have lived in worthing and I don't know why that town is unreasonably expensive. I guess because it's close to the sea, quiet and a retirement town. Cost of houses (rent) is even more than south east London. Southampton and Brighton are also expensive. You can try East Preston, Goring by sea, Lancing, and littlehampton as these areas are cheaper and you will find more new built houses there.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 7:48am On May 13, 2023
Na so the matter for housing Dey tie warapper for Uk. Either you earn x 30 of the rent or you provide guarantors. I hope you are not asked to get guarantor that own a property? Anyways just keep praying and searching. God will provide a way
AKALAMAGBO:

Been trying to move house since, got the one I like and credit check and referencing was carried out, which came out good but the agent is still asking for a guarantor due to the fact that wifey hasn’t been self-employed for up to a year and husby salary ranges between £28,407 - £30,000 as a permanent employee….

Una go dey increase rent but refuse to increase salary and make renting difficult for residents…

Shown payslips and rental history with good credit worthiness BUT all these oversabi House agents still dey ask for 2 Guarantors… Who wan guarantee person wey dey no know…

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gergemam: 8:02am On May 13, 2023
AKALAMAGBO:

You can use https://www.rentguarantor.com/

They will act as a guarantor for you. Since you want your wife's name to be on the house Contract you can link your accounts together. She opens her own and you open your own

9 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LionInZion: 8:20am On May 13, 2023
Which one be trouple again? Nothing you no go see for this Western world.

A throuple is a romantic relationship between three people, they've admitted that there are "so many perks to having a life partnership with more than one human."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/woman-ends-up-throuple-after-29952676?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Focus99: 8:40am On May 13, 2023
Are you the student or the dependent??

heroshark:

I really can't relate to the idea that firms are refusing to sponsor candidates. I came in last year September and by February this year I have received 3 offers from different firms with two offering to sponsor me. I don't know if I am just lucky or that other students/immigrants are failing to due their due diligence and instead chose care jobs as the easy way out.

During my interview, I do try to make it as clear as possible that I'm unable to join them without visa sponsorship.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SamReinvented: 8:42am On May 13, 2023
DadR:

Thank you.

Did mine this month.

I also had appointment for 11am. I got there at few mins past 10. There was a large crowd, but I still managed to get everything finished by 1:30. So you should be fine.

They had a tally ticket machine that made the process orderly… but the thing stopped working just before I had almost completed my process and vawulence was about to break out as I was leaving grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Focus99: 8:46am On May 13, 2023
I really do not understand.

The jobs with these firms refusing to give sponsorship are they not a permanent role

If one is able to get a permanent job role do they still need a sponsorship

Wait for your reply

Thanks

Aphrodite007:

Sweetheart. Nothing annoys me more than someone’s who’s been lucky not understanding others pains OR making it look like others aren’t hardworking/lucky enough. I’m one of the most privileged and lucky Nigerians in the Uk, worked just 4 years here and on 140k all before 30 but I never act like others aren’t working hard enough or lucky enough or feel their pain. I’m the exception, not the rule.

Because I exist doesn’t meant others don’t. Because you can’t relate doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be empathetic/sympathetic neither does it allow you to discount the pain is the majority.

And for someone that steadily recruits my profession, 80% of corporate companies don’t sponsor due to fear or lack of understanding of the regulations. So unless someone is applying to the big 4 or top IT, NHS or govt.. there’s likely no sponsorship.

Ok.

Congrats on your 3 offers.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 9:19am On May 13, 2023
You are right, it’s x30 of the earning. They only asked for a guarantor with a UK resident status, earns more than 40K and never had any CCJs or bad credits…
AgentXxx:
Na so the matter for housing Dey tie warapper for Uk. Either you earn x 30 of the rent or you provide guarantors. I hope you are not asked to get guarantor that own a property? Anyways just keep praying and searching. God will provide a way
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 9:26am On May 13, 2023
Wawwu… nairaland place of info… I just used them now, though they charge but that’s nothing… Thank you so much 😊
gergemam:

You can use https://www.rentguarantor.com/

They will act as a guarantor for you. Since you want your wife's name to be on the house Contract you can link your accounts together. She opens her own and you open your own

18 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (992) (993) (994) (995) (996) (997) (998) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.