Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,138 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:32 PM

What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? (40053 Views)

Stop Eating Placenta After Childbirth, Experts Warn New Mothers / Medical Doctor In Police Net Over Placenta / Burning/Burying Of Placenta: Right Or Wrong Action? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by ejimatic: 5:06pm On Sep 10, 2021
expert1:
Hello Nairalanders and Guests.

I am just curious to know what to do with the placenta after birth, and I am sure many young men as first timers feels the same if handed the placenta after his wife delivers a child.

Especially to young guys that are just raising a family. I know that culture varies but in Yoruba tribe for example, placenta are meant to be
buried. Buried where? On your land or you have to encroach another man's land to bury that? grin

As a father or grandfather kindly share your experience on how to dispense placenta after delivery.

Many thanks.
A plancenta is buried in Yoruba land by the father of a new baby.It can be buried anywhere.IIt can also be thrown into a pit latrine. It is just a way of disposing it after child delivery. It should not be given to anybody apart from the father of the baby or its mother if the father is not around.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by ahnie: 5:08pm On Sep 10, 2021
Chithauri:
how about they burn it to ashes.
I don't know of it bn burnt
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by NLKing01: 5:09pm On Sep 10, 2021
You don't have parents or no elder in the family? Is it every thing you must ask on the internet?
expert1:

I am just curious to know what to do with the placenta after birth, and I am sure many young men as first timers feels the same if handed the placenta after his wife delivers a child.

Especially to young guys that are just raising a family. I know that culture varies but in Yoruba tribe for example, placenta are meant to be buried. Buried where? On your land or you have to encroach another man's land to bury that? grin

As a father or grandfather kindly share your experience on how to dispense placenta after delivery.

Many thanks.
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by kevoh(m): 5:10pm On Sep 10, 2021
oliverano:

KimK ate it and so
I laughed when I saw where the person mentioned Kim K grin That's like taking medical advice from Bobrisky and other clowns calling themselves celebrities!

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Olofin2(m): 5:12pm On Sep 10, 2021
expert1:

There is a Yoruba adage that says "Ojo ta ba ribi ni ibi nwole" which means the same day you see a placenta is the same day we bury it, grin

I actually buried a particular placenta the next day and usually laugh when I hear that adage grin

I think it is a difficult situation to bury the stuff for those living in the urban area.

You no gbadun atall, see im head. You wan turn baba suwe to dey rubbish our proverbs
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Forgodsgrace: 5:14pm On Sep 10, 2021
kevoh:

I laughed when I saw where the person mentioned Kim K grin That's like taking medical advice from Bobrisky and other clowns calling themselves celebrities!

Google is your friend,there is no crime in asking or learning,don’t just come online and spew trash or type ignorantly.
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by damosade(m): 5:19pm On Sep 10, 2021
Some teaching hospital use the placenta for a research especially in developing organs .
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by greatiyk4u(m): 5:31pm On Sep 10, 2021
I took mine to my village family compound to bury
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by YoungBlackRico(m): 5:34pm On Sep 10, 2021
jieta:
Will the world end if i flush the placenta in the toilet?
No! You'll only end up blocking your toilet

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by ElPhoche(m): 5:36pm On Sep 10, 2021
TarOrfeeek:
Some Doctors normally use it to eat rice and stew.

They say it's more nutritious than beef.
grin grin madman. We don't eat it.
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Richiepeecox(m): 5:37pm On Sep 10, 2021
It's not a must you bury it. You can as well dispose it into a soak away. It is believed that bad people use it for ritual purpose.So, that is why it's advised that no one else sees it for them to even get access to it. Aye ni ka!

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by yvonncute(f): 5:37pm On Sep 10, 2021
But it is true, some people eat it.
Ishilove:

This is the most disgusting I have read this year.
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Bukolaberry(f): 5:45pm On Sep 10, 2021
]is it a must to bury it inside claypot?[/quote] No, you don't bury it inside the clay pot, you break the clay pot and bury it with the pieces , it's called ( apadi in yoruba) . sorry about the quote and the reply format , it's because I hardly comment on nairaland and I don't know most of the icon function
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by kevoh(m): 5:52pm On Sep 10, 2021
Forgodsgrace:

Google is your friend,there is no crime in asking or learning,don’t just come online and spew trash or type ignorantly.

Feel free to eat your placenta! Your cup of tea! Provide medical scholarly reviewed articles on eating placenta (that will get rotten under a day) and I will provide you with more nutritious food that is not disgusting!

Placentophagy became more popular when celebrities like Kim Kardashian started making noise about it! There is less scientific evidence out there that proves its health benefits, most of it is anecdotal! Hardly will your doctor tell you to consume your placenta that's about to rot under 24 hours!

If you are still waiting for Google, read the snippets below. First article is from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the United States. The second one is from US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health .
Shortly after birth, the infant developed signs of respiratory distress and was transferred to the neonatal intensive care unit where blood and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) were obtained for culture; antibiotics were initiated for presumed sepsis. The blood culture was positive for penicillin-sensitive, clindamycin-intermediate GBS. CSF culture was negative. The infant was discharged and went home after completing an 11-day course of ampicillin (200 mg/kg/day).

Five days later, the infant was taken to the emergency department because of irritability and was admitted to a second hospital. A blood culture yielded penicillin-sensitive, clindamycin-sensitive GBS. CSF was sterile, expressed breast milk did not yield GBS, and serial exams did not reveal a source.

Three days into the infant’s admission to the second hospital, the treating physician was notified by a physician from the birth hospital that the mother had requested release of the placenta at the time of delivery. The mother confirmed that she had registered with Company A to pick up and encapsulate her placenta for ingestion. Three days after the infant’s birth, the mother had received the dehydrated, encapsulated placenta and began ingesting two capsules three times daily. The physician instructed the mother to stop consuming the capsules ... Source: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/wr/mm6625a4.htm?s_cid=mm6625a4_w

Despite the amount of information available to the public on the therapeutic benefits of placentophagy, there is no scientific evidence examining its effects in humans, and the data from animals are inconclusive. This review is designed to synthesize the published data on: 1) women’s current attitudes, motivations, and experiences with maternal placentophagy; 2) empirical studies of human or animal consumption of human placenta, and 3) animal placentophagy studies selected based on relevance to human practice, with recommendations for additional research. Source:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4580132/

If you like, continue to look up to people like Kim Kardashian for medical advice, na you sabi!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Sep 10, 2021
jetwonder:
grin This Placenta Could Bring You 5 Million Naira If Know The Right Place To Sale It
say you dey buy am?
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by litaninja(m): 6:03pm On Sep 10, 2021
Lmao. Una just sha like nonsense and backward talk for this africa. Na part of why na 550# - $1 una dey run.
Instead of advancing. Chai.

Truvelisback:
Placenta should be buried properly. Improper disposal of placenta will av negative effect on the destiny of the child. E.g if a dog eats the placenta of a Baby girl, the may end end up being a prostitute when she grows up. If the same happens to a male child, when the male child grows up, he may end being sexually loose to women.
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by attat(m): 6:04pm On Sep 10, 2021
Which city in naija b dat? Abeg tell ursef d truth. Even if na cow u wan bury in any city in naija, i kn dia is a way

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by duality(m): 6:13pm On Sep 10, 2021
expert1:

This suggestion is ideal and very reasonable too.

I think once it is burnt, you don't need to stress in burying it again. you can flush the burnt elements. wink

How then do you burn it without attention. Won't people think you are roasting something?
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Hcqmela: 6:15pm On Sep 10, 2021
Eat it
It's very nutritional.

For it not to look do irritating,they turn it into capsule pills the mothers take
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Arosko(m): 6:15pm On Sep 10, 2021
expert1:

Especially to young guys that are just raising a family. I know that culture varies but in Yoruba tribe for example, placenta are meant to be buried. Buried where? On your land or you have to encroach another man's land to bury that? grin

Many thanks.
make pepper �️ soup
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Arosko(m): 6:16pm On Sep 10, 2021
[quote author=expert1 post=105295739]Hello Nairalanders and Guests.

Make pepper �️ soup with it
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Tzar(m): 6:17pm On Sep 10, 2021
In the SW, you bury it in a place animals or hunans wont be able to dig it up.
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by edunaragold(f): 6:31pm On Sep 10, 2021
I prayed and anointed my baby own before burying in a designated location
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Osascandyheart: 6:35pm On Sep 10, 2021
If u don't a land, go n buried it in d church,cos placenta is like the life of the child o n no body should not ware u put it apart from ur self .
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by PrettySmart(m): 6:35pm On Sep 10, 2021
jetwonder:
grin This Placenta Could Bring You 5 Million Naira If Know The Right Place To Sale It

Stem Cell Research laboratories, you mean?

I have read stuffs on the potentials of culturing new organs such as heart and liver from stem cells in the placenta especially for the purpose of organ transplants

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Akuruoulo(m): 6:41pm On Sep 10, 2021
ahnie:
Bury it in a designated spot.some persons even go ahead and plant a tree on top where the placenta is buried.

Mom told me mine was used to plant one coconut like that
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 10, 2021
Are u a woman? Wat kind of fantasy is dat? Lmao
Ikwerelastborn:

I will like to eat placenta some day
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by authority2006(m): 6:44pm On Sep 10, 2021
We bury it
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Ikwerelastborn: 7:03pm On Sep 10, 2021
Temigirl95:
Are u a woman? Wat kind of fantasy is dat? Lmao
I'm a man and I have heard wonderful things about it and how sweet it is.it is also said to help to make the skin look good
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Commentor: 7:08pm On Sep 10, 2021
If you could afford it, you could store it in a bank for stem cells.

They are rich in stemcells which are valuable in the treatment of life threatening diseases if ever encountered.
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by TGMISKY(m): 7:14pm On Sep 10, 2021
Very educative post. I've learnt one today

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Ayomivic(m): 7:27pm On Sep 10, 2021
expert1:

Many thanks.

Why can't just asked your parents? They had been in this game for long and they can provide all the answers you needed even as per your culture is concerned.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Man, Efosa Silas Sick at UAE Hospital, Who Knows The Family? / 10 Months After Giving Birth, She Has Not Seen Her Menses, Pls Advise / See What Happens When You Eat Garlic On An Empty Stomach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.