Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Catfish Farming: My Story - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming: My Story (203386 Views)

Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* / Investment In Catfish Farming (things you need to know) / Re: Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Mashkov: 6:39pm On Jan 25, 2012
@ efe 22,

What kind of feeds did you fed them with? The quality of feed and the composition at different stages of development matters. From your naration about others that were bought from same place and same time, it's obvious that they were not placed on a very good feeding programme.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by lutha: 8:11pm On Jan 25, 2012
@efe22, fish grow very faster@d first 3mths &@such, dey nid 2b fed adequately, if nt dey wil start feedin on each other. Mine are nw 2mths & a wik. D breed is called pure dutch&i stock dem as juveniles. truely, some among dem r already weighing 1kg. I feed dem every 4hrs interval(i.e. 7am,11am,3pm,7pm&10pm b4 bed). I use foreign feed called aquafeed by Cargill. D feed is 45% protein unlike coppens 43%. About d feed, visit: www.cargillanimalnutrition.com .Although, in fish farming business there r five key factors dt can lead 2 success of d farm.
1. Fish Quality
2. Water Quality
3. Feed Quality & Quantity
4. Market
5. Farm Management.
Profit is maximize if above mentioned r considered.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by efe22(m): 6:47am On Jan 26, 2012
@Mashkov,
I fed with coppens which the guy uses too. I started with 1mm, 2mm and now 6mm. He never told me the truth when I ask. He said that I should keep using 3mm. Water is 2-3 feet deep with 180 fishes, no overcrowding. Please I need someone to post the right feeding formula. I have spent #21,500 on feeds.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Fhemmmy: 2:53pm On Jan 26, 2012
I wish people could contribute more on this thread for people to learn?
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by knowledge4(m): 10:47am On Jan 27, 2012
acquatic1,
where are you?
what is your response to the attacks on your catfish formula?
Seems you agree that they are justified.
Next time,be careful with what you post because many people reading your thread are more knowledgeable than you and cannot be fooled.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Theyjih: 4:46pm On Jan 27, 2012
lutha:

@mashkov, d most & commonly used treatment is d manure. U cn get it frm d butcher @òdó eran. Pack it into a double sack 2 reduce d smelly liquid dt drops. U cn hvhas many as possible bags of manure depending on d pond size. @least, 2 bags shshld drop in2 d pond. Remembe 2 reduce d double sacks to 1 so dt d manure cn mix wt d water quickly. Allow it 4 a week. Afta then, drain d water & put a fresh water. Afta 15min, u cn stock u fish. My li2 xperience.

left mine for two weeks. i'm trying 2 reduce the muddy ppt of my new earthen pond, considering the fact its just bin fertilized, can Alum be applied immediately or left for a while?
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Mashkov: 8:07pm On Jan 27, 2012
@ efe 22,

The problem can be one of the following,

1. The fingerlings you were given were runts, so no matter the amount of feeds, they ,ay never attain good size. But this reason may not be valid since you and your friend got them from same source

2. The size of the feeds you started them with i.e. for fingerlings it is ideal to start them with 0.5mm - 0.8mm and progress gradually to bigger sizes as they groow. now the problem is, if you were feeding them with 1mm when they are suppose to be fed with 0.5mm, they will not eat it and most of the feeds will eventually sink. Leading to inadequate nourishment to the fishes; this leads to underweight fishes

Let me know, how many grammes do the fishes weigh now and how long exactly have you been feeding them

Regards,
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Fhemmmy: 12:20am On Jan 28, 2012
^^ Great knowledge . . I am learning
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by efe22(m): 5:52am On Jan 28, 2012
Some are 12 inches long and others are less than that. I have been feeding since Nov 22, 2011. Thanks
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Mashkov: 4:51pm On Jan 28, 2012
@ efe 22,

Could you please try tell me the average weight of the fishes. From that we can decipher whether to change the feeding formula or proffer other workable means.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by zogo(m): 7:04pm On Jan 28, 2012
You can give Heliculture- Snail Farming a try. We simplified the process, such that even a secondary student who can read and follow simple instruction with pictures can start and make huge yearly profits. see details here; www.snailfarmingng..com
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by sp2002(m): 12:58am On Feb 01, 2012
if u want to venture into poultry farming , u can reach me on
RUKRIL FARMS,
IBEJU-LEKKI

we establish for freshers that are willing to do the businesss
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Fhemmmy: 3:30pm On Feb 01, 2012
Still learning on this thread . . .
But from my experience, what i have seen is that your failure or success is only depending on the people you working with or working for you, Nigerians are some wicked and demonic people

3 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by opes: 11:45am On Feb 02, 2012
the pond odour can be prevented by using PROBIOTICS. I was using chicken manure to indirectly feed my fish and also using it to fertilize my pond water because i used the pond water to culture duckweed. in two of my ponds, i used fresh chicken manure so odour is expected. it will be tedious changing the water regularly, but you have no option than to change and replace the pond water by at least 20% so that your fish quality will not be affected by the odour. though my production is not for commercial purpose, rather a livelihood project and training for local farmers.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by jader09: 4:45pm On Feb 03, 2012
hi every one I'm new here just registered, I'hve beign going through your contributions soo far in this thread and must confess I found them very resourcefull and informative.
Planning on starting up mine pretty soon
Keep it up,

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ranlaen: 5:29pm On Feb 03, 2012
Actually like anything in life its good to know your fish.Catfish are bottom feeders which makes them pretty easy to feed.
My uncle owns a pond and stocks catfish and makes slender profit simply because he feeds them imported stuff and also makes the mistake of not cleaning the pond regularly.
You can basically feed them almost anything and yes that includes left overs but if u have to be careful to keep the pond clean and fresh water 2 times a week or so .Once a week if you got a air filter and pump but commerical ones are pretty expensive.
The size of your catfish is also very dependant on the type too,there are some catfish that grow to 50kg but those need acres of water space.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Akins02324(m): 11:34am On Feb 04, 2012
@ Mr_OLuway,,pls can i have your contact phone number,you can contact me on 08186116315

Thanks
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 5:14pm On Feb 04, 2012
ranlaen:

You can basically feed them almost anything and yes that includes left overs but if u have to be careful to keep the pond clean and fresh water 2 times a week or so .Once a week if you got a air filter and pump but commerical ones are pretty expensive.
The size of your catfish is also very dependant on the type too,there are some catfish that grow to 50kg but those need acres of water space.
please you don't feed your fish with just anything. They will NEVER GROW. Catfish has its own feeds formula. I've seen people feeding their fish with raw maize, bread, gari, africa buscuit(kuli kuli) etc you name it. The issue there is that d fish will eat them because they need to survive but they will never grow! And 50kg of fish! My brother you watch to much of discovery channel, maybe in d ocean but not in anybody's pond.

5 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Fhemmmy: 5:50pm On Feb 04, 2012
^^^ Lol . . .
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by efe22(m): 1:41pm On Feb 05, 2012
@Mashkov, sorry I don't just know how to weigh them because source of water is limited to me now because I have to remove water to bottom level to be able to capture them. Some are 14 inches longer while many are still 7,8,9,10 inches. Please just drop your feeding formula. Like someone mentioned in this thread, many nigerians are demons in this business, they ve opportunity to help their fellow with info but they will never including some that called themselves Christians. Thank God you are not among those.
Lets say I am a complete novice who just stock some fingerlings alreading fed with 1mm by the seller. And then I continue with this 1mm. How long should I continue with 1mm?. When should I progress to 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 6 and 8 and so forth? What are the feeding formula?. Someone should please rescue becos I do not want to make another mistake I am reaping from an evil friends who mislead me. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 1:49pm On Feb 07, 2012
For the best fingerlings / juveniles please call Ayo on 08035193433 or drop ur e-mail at ayo.tiamiyu@yahoo.com . You can also call if you have any question on catfish. The farm is located at abule egba, lagos abeokuta expressway.

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 1:53pm On Feb 07, 2012
More pictures

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 1:56pm On Feb 07, 2012
More pictures

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Fhemmmy: 2:56pm On Feb 07, 2012
ayosat:

For the best fingerlings / juveniles please call Ayo on 08035193433 or drop ur e-mail at ayo.tiamiyu@yahoo.com . You can also call if you have any question on catfish. The farm is located at abule egba, lagos abeokuta expressway.

I heard of the size called Jumbo, do you deal with those too, and if you do, how old are they and how much do you sell such?
Any guarantee that they will surely grow and not some dwarfs?
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Fhemmmy: 5:23pm On Feb 07, 2012
^^^ What has this got to do with Fish Farming?
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by stagger: 6:03pm On Feb 07, 2012
What is wrong with this fool called cheely?

Spamming threads with SMS adverts? How does that relate to fish farming?

And another thing: I noticed that this thread is populated with many posts that show that their posters have no knowledge of fish farming and just post things they head from the grapevine.

Please leave the posting to actual fish farmers.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Fhemmmy: 6:17pm On Feb 07, 2012
^^^ Is there a size of the baby fish called Jumbo, how old are they, what is the average cost of buying them . . . survival rate?
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Fhemmmy: 9:09pm On Feb 07, 2012
^^^ Na wa oh . . . People will go to any length to make money

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by lutha: 7:31pm On Feb 08, 2012
@fhemmy, yes! There is jumbo catfish. It is sold@N30 eah. Dey r bigga n strnga dn juvenile.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by efe22(m): 7:33pm On Feb 08, 2012
I am a complete novice who just stock some fingerlings alreading fed with 1mm by the seller. How long should I continue with 1mm?. When should I progress to 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 6 and 8 and so forth? I use coppens feed. What are the feeding formula to attaining a size of 1kg catfish in four (4) months. Someone should please rescue becos I do not want to make another mistake I am reaping from an evil friends who mislead me. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Fhemmmy: 3:42am On Feb 09, 2012
lutha:

@fhemmy, yes! There is jumbo catfish. It is sold@N30 eah. Dey r bigga n strnga dn juvenile.

How old are they?
What are their survival rate?
How many months of good feeding would they have to be on to be 1Kg? (How many months of Import feeding and local feeding)?
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 1:23pm On Feb 11, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I heard of the size called Jumbo, do you deal with those too, and if you do, how old are they and how much do you sell such?
Any guarantee that they will surely grow and not some dwarfs?

@ Fhemmmy. Sorry 4 d delay in replying. I've been busy. Lutha actually have said it all. We have fries(3 wks old), fingelings(6 wks old), post fingerlings(7-8 wks old), juvenile(8-9 wks old), then jumbo(9-10wks old) it lesser time to sell if u stock juvenile or jumbo. But there risk to this as well, so u really need to watch out. I don't deal in jumbo.
efe22:

I am a complete novice who just stock some fingerlings alreading fed with 1mm by the seller. How long should I continue with 1mm?. When should I progress to 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 6 and 8 and so forth? I use coppens feed. What are the feeding formula to attaining a size of 1kg catfish in four (4) months. Someone should please rescue becos I do not want to make another mistake I am reaping from an evil friends who mislead me. Thank you.
@ efe22. Can u please send me ur e-mail address . Or send a blank mail to me at ayo.tiamiyu@yahoo.com and i will reply u as soon as i'm less busy. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.