Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. (10341 Views)

I Was Warned Not To Venture Into VTU Business- I Refused To Listen / Marriage Or Career Which Comes First: Ladies Question For You All ... / 10 Things You Can Do To Advance Your Career To The Next Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by BeboNGN: 5:27pm On Sep 03, 2021
tutudesz:

Meaning a project manager can also be employed in place of a business analyst tongue
Like I said must companies want someone that can take on multiple roles, instead of employing more workers

If you're a business analyst, you can Transition into PM.

PM doing BA works needs to know BA processes, and it seems like a downgrade to me.
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Tats(m): 5:29pm On Sep 03, 2021
BeboNGN:

This is correct.

As a PM, if you know BA work, your job will go very well and you will be kept for a long time in a company. If the BA is going on leave for example, you can cover for them. You can also engage in discussions around requirements and understand what is to be delivered so that you can manage the project better.
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by tutudesz: 5:30pm On Sep 03, 2021
BeboNGN:

PM doing BA works needs to know BA processes, and it seems like a downgrade to me.
Just employ both PM and BA
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Tats(m): 5:33pm On Sep 03, 2021
tutudesz:

Just employ both PM and BA

Yes. a company needs both.

One cannot fully do the job of the other but if you have both skills and holding one of either roles, you will do well.
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by tutudesz: 5:36pm On Sep 03, 2021
Tats:

Yes. a company needs both.

One cannot fully do the job of the other but if you have both skills and holding one of either roles, you will do well.
Both skills with little pay grin Nigeria companies will love to employ such individual
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Tats(m): 5:37pm On Sep 03, 2021
tutudesz:

Both skills with little pay grin Nigeria companies will love to employ such individual

grin Not so here in the UK. They have to employ both and pay them well.
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by tutudesz: 5:44pm On Sep 03, 2021
Tats:

grin Not so here in the UK. They have to employ both and pay them well.
They want you to take on multiple roles with the same pay undecided and to keep your job
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Kukeunim(m): 6:04pm On Sep 03, 2021
Yes it's a good trade to go into. You must have a good knowledge of entrepreneurship and other commercial related courses.
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by TheGift: 6:07pm On Sep 03, 2021
The world is moving from Business Analysis to Business Analytics due to the infiuence of Big Data, AI & Machine Learning. That would be
more relevant in the coming years.

Better to do an MBA with a specialization as business analysis is a very small part of that.

Avoid picking courses because they sound nice. See if they fit with your innate talent , passion and what the market is demanding.

I wish you all the best

Vipro:
Is Business Analysis proffesional and relevant?
Is it a good career to start with?

2 Likes

Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by LegitBoyy: 7:23pm On Sep 03, 2021
blank:

Get a professional designation like Cbab. You can add PMP and Agile/Scrum. Find your way out of Nigeria and earn good money.

Any degree you have will be good as a start.

Do you think i can cope with a background in law?
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Acidosis(m): 7:25pm On Sep 03, 2021
BeboNGN:

Pestel or whatever you mention are just basics, and it shows you don't understand what you're dabbling into. Seems you're mixing business analysis with business administration. For me to straighten the road for you; the least qualifications for a business analyst is Bsc in computer science, not any form of business administration.

Nigeria HR have distorted everything! Most MNCs in Nigeria and anywhere in the World require you to have a degree in computer science for you to be considered.

Business analyst is just a gateway between technology and business. Not necessarily what you're insinuating.

Business analyst that undergo an MBA program may be trying to move into the business field/managerial role fully and jettison the tag business analyst.

If you want to understand what most role are and the qualifications required for it. You've to look beyond the job description being peddled around in the Nigeria job market, because most HR are not well trained to understand the differences in those roles.

This should not even be a subject of discuss if you're working with an MNCs or Tech company because you will understand better.

The question you should be asking is who is a business analyst? The man who studied business analysis or the one who studied business analytics? Ignore the professional jargon and focus on the rudiments of the programme. I can hire anybody and call it whatever.

I'm not mixing business analysis with business administration by the way. But to set the record straight, to work in the business analysis field, you do not need a degree in computer science. That's where business analytics come in. The analytics is about the application of tools, data, programming language. The analysis is self-explanatory.

I don't think we should be debating this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by LegitBoyy: 7:29pm On Sep 03, 2021
Tats:
Absolutely. Nearly all mid to large scale IT projects need BAs. who else will gather and document Business requirements for the IT team to deliver? Your communication skills must be top notch and you should be able to conduct workshops for Stakeholders.

If you have functional knowledge of a particular area, then it helps a lot. Like if you are an accountant and then work as a BA on a finance project. Ensure that you do CBAP and add agile to it. Highly sought-after BAs doing contracting earn up to £750 per day here in the UK and Average is about £400 to £550 per day. For Permanent positions, average is about £50k. Loads of Nigerians in the UK and US are Business Analysts earning such amounts.

I have been looking to switch to a BA role. Where do you think i can start from given that my background is law ? i really want to acquire a Business Analyst skill before i complete my Masters degree so i can look for practical experience during my 2years post study work visa. Is business analysis entirely different from business analytics? I know the switch is really not going to be easy but i am ready to make the sacrifice.
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Acidosis(m): 7:34pm On Sep 03, 2021
TheGift:
The world is moving from Business Analysis to Business Analytics due to the infiuence of Big Data, AI & Machine Learning. That would be

Better to do an MBA with a specialization as business analysis is a very small part of that.

Avoid picking courses because they sound nice. See if they fit with your innate talent , passion and what the market is demanding.

I wish you all the best

100%
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by blacknoir: 8:23pm On Sep 03, 2021
[quote author=gidado14 post=105452667][/quote]
Who are u gonna bleep?

1 Like

Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Gfskw: 8:27pm On Sep 03, 2021
No
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by MrColdsweat: 9:28pm On Sep 03, 2021
Go and master powerBI for business intelligence.

Thank me later.
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Tats(m): 9:43pm On Sep 03, 2021
LegitBoyy:

I have been looking to switch to a BA role. Where do you think i can start from given that my background is law ? i really want to acquire a Business Analyst skill before i complete my Masters degree so i can look for practical experience during my 2years post study work visa. Is business analysis entirely different from business analytics? I know the switch is really not going to be easy but i am ready to make the sacrifice.

The best way for now is to enrol in a BA course and do a certification in it. When you finish, you can search for BA jobs that do not need a lot of experience but require certification for instance. I don't think that there are many IT projects in Law, but what your background in Law brings are communication skills and the ability to ask people questions when you are trying to get information out of them. In a BA role, you have to ask the business and system Users lots of questions and document them and sometimes, it is more like probing people to get the right information on what their user needs are or what they do in their jobs which need to computerised.

Every IT project is related to a certain area such as building systems/Apps/Websites for banking, Oil & Gas, mobile telecoms, mining, technology, pharmaceutical, health, transport companies etc. So think of what systems do in companies or what the public do with different Apps and websites. If you are a BA on a project for one of these companies, you may be involved in building internal systems that they use or building their Apps and Websites for the public.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by BeboNGN: 9:45pm On Sep 03, 2021
Acidosis:

The question you should be asking is who is a business analyst? The man who studied business analysis or the one who studied business analytics? Ignore the professional jargon and focus on the rudiments of the programme. I can hire anybody and call it whatever.

I'm not mixing business analysis with business administration by the way. But to set the record straight, to work in the business analysis field, you do not need a degree in computer science. That's where business analytics come in. The analytics is about the application of tools, data, programming language. The analysis is self-explanatory.

I don't think we should be debating this.

Okay. In essence you can hire anyone and call him a data scientist while he's doing data entry work.

Good, let's ignore the professional jargons.

1 Like

Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Tats(m): 9:47pm On Sep 03, 2021
TheGift:

I wish you all the best

While it is correct that the world is moving to data analytics due to Big data, AI. etc, BA work does not have a direct comparison with Business Analytics. As long as we continue to build systems or apps, BA work will still be relevant. It is from systems and apps that you get the data which needs to be analysed. Even data analytics projects have BAs.
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by TheGift: 9:59pm On Sep 03, 2021
You are right. However I am talking about the value one can get from the chosen role.

Even before analytics became a thing, the analysts role is a lower level role, especially within the consulting structure. And their value is being eroded by the capacity of AI to perform some of the routine and repetitive tasks they were previously needed to do.

“Analyst” sounds nice to the inexperienced (<3 years) but in a world where analytical skills are becoming a minimum requirement and to those with deep and wide work experience, “analysts” are seen as junior positions performing routine tasks like imputing data into a spreadsheet.

Even a very smart graduate or undergraduate should be able to perform the tasks of an analyst. So how much value do you think an analyst will be able to command in a few years as compared to someone who uses analytics to add value to business decisions ?

Please read up on the roles, responsibilities , remuneration and career prospects of business analysts, then make up your own mind.

Tats:

While it is correct that the world is moving to data analytics due to Big data, AI. etc, BA work does not have a direct comparison with Business Analytics. As long as we continue to build systems or apps, BA work will still be relevant. It is from systems and apps that you get the data which needs to be analysed. Even data analytics projects have BAs.
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Tats(m): 11:47pm On Sep 03, 2021
TheGift:
You are right. However I am talking about the value one can get from the chosen role.

Even before analytics became a thing, the analysts role is a lower level role, especially within the consulting structure. And their value is being eroded by the capacity of AI to perform some of the routine and repetitive tasks they were previously needed to do.

“Analyst” sounds nice to the inexperienced (<3 years) but in a world where analytical skills are becoming a minimum requirement and to those with deep and wide work experience, “analysts” are seen as junior positions performing routine tasks like imputing data into a spreadsheet.

Even a very smart graduate or undergraduate should be able to perform the tasks of an analyst. So how much value do you think an analyst will be able to command in a few years as compared to someone who uses analytics to add value to business decisions ?

Please read up on the roles, responsibilities , remuneration and career prospects of business analysts, then make up your own mind.

I don't need to read up the role of a business Analyst. I have been working with them for ages now and I can even do BA work. I think you need to really understand what BAs do. By virtue of my role and interactions with BAs, I was added to a Global Whatsapp group of BAs located in UK, USA, Canada and Nigeria and I see progress everyday on the group in both Job switches and education.

You are clearly mixing up a consulting analyst role with a BA role. People typically spend 2 to 3 years as analysts in consulting firms. BA is a full career role and there are Lead BAs in their 50s.
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Acidosis(m): 7:40am On Sep 04, 2021
BeboNGN:

Okay. In essence you can hire anyone and call him a data scientist while he's doing data entry work.

Good, let's ignore the professional jargons.

That statement simply means that certain jobs use broad titles and you can fine-tune the compensation person-by-person based on their skills.

"
An example; Data analysts have a range of fields and titles, including database analyst, business analyst, market research analyst, sales analyst, financial analyst, marketing analyst, advertising analyst, customer success analyst, operations analyst, pricing analyst, international strategy analyst and more
"
I can call you whatever based on what I need you to do with your data analysis qualification/knowledge.

It depends on the space you find yourself, that's why my argument is based on academic discipline/skill not job titles, which for me are mere corporate jargons.
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Omega48: 9:02am On Sep 04, 2021
TheLionofLasigi:
Not sure, but Data Analysis or Data Science is better especially if you have background in CS or finance.
Wetin concern finance for data science now... The core thing sef u didn't mention which is statistics
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Omega48: 9:04am On Sep 04, 2021
GboyegaD:
Business Analysis isn't technically same as Business Analytics. Analysis is simply analyzing past data to understand pattern while Analytics involves being able to use the data and past trends to make more accurate predictions of the future.

Most Business Analytics program covers more of the Data Analytics side of things as such prepares you for roles in the Businesses Analytics, Data Analytics, and Data Science fields.

Lastly, the difference between Business Analytics and Data Analytics is how both utilizes data. The former gathers data mainly for end to end process improvements while the latter is to understand, draw insights, and make predictions.
Why do you guys just come up with rubbish, how can business analytics prepare you for data science now... How? Do u even know what data science is?
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by YUSUPH1986(m): 10:08am On Sep 04, 2021
[quote author=killALIEN post=105450972]I wanted to give some insights on the below topic, then i realised i have to swear an "oath " to some useless allah

If your islamic religion is not all about bullshit and gibberish why ask for my allegiance.

Modafcking ignorant Islamic bastards.

Pls check ur time !!!
How funny! you keep giving yourself sleepless night because of ignorance !!!
Religion's view difference is what you fail to embrace ? Look if you continued ranting like this till eternity it has no toll on the religion.
I wish for you to percieve true light before ur end comes
Peace! My brother
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by GboyegaD(m): 12:51pm On Sep 04, 2021
Omega48:

Why do you guys just come up with rubbish, how can business analytics prepare you for data science now... How? Do u even know what data science is?

Please, when you want to criticize, be reasonable. Did you read my comment to understand or your "I too know" great was just in place? You don't know me, you don't know my path, you don't know my career.

I have a degree in Business Analytics from one of the top programs in the US by 2019 ratings and work in the Data Science field and so do most of my classmates, friends, and colleagues in the field. If you care to know, most business analyst program do not teach the tools used in Business Analytics except for SQL and focus more on Data Science/ Analytics tools. You may want to read curriculums for better understanding.

Most importantly, please learn to read and understand and not just for the letters because the letter killeth.

1 Like

Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Tats(m): 2:39pm On Sep 04, 2021
Tats:

The best way for now is to enrol in a BA course and do a certification in it. When you finish, you can search for BA jobs that do not need a lot of experience but require certification for instance. I don't think that there are many IT projects in Law, but what your background in Law brings are communication skills and the ability to ask people questions when you are trying to get information out of them. In a BA role, you have to ask the business and system Users lots of questions and document them and sometimes, it is more like probing people to get the right information on what their user needs are or what they do in their jobs which need to be computerised.

Every IT project is related to a certain area such as building systems/Apps/Websites for banking, Oil & Gas, mobile telecoms, mining, technology, pharmaceutical, health, transport companies etc. So think of what systems do in companies or what the public do with different Apps and websites. If you are a BA on a project for one of these companies, you may be involved in building internal systems that they use or building their Apps and Websites for the public.
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by julimaxy: 9:32pm On Sep 04, 2021
Business Analysis (BA) is a good career path and its advancing into Business Architecture. BAs are on a very high demand in all countries due to the big change the impact of COVID brought to us.

Firstly you need to be sure that BA is the kind of career you want to venture into.

I would suggest not going to the Uni to study BA as a course, instead find all these BA trainers and register with them, learn and write the certification courses, (If you are in the UK, its best to go with the BCS BA certification exams, and if you are in any other country go for the IIBA BA exams).

Try learning from youtube as well, to learn bits on stakeholder engagement, SQL coding (its on demand these days), BA tools and techniques, etc.

1 Like

Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by elbulk(m): 3:06pm On Sep 14, 2021
tutudesz:

Meaning a project manager can also be employed in place of a business analyst tongue
Like I said must companies want someone that can take on multiple roles, instead of employing more workers

Very true, why have just 1 when you can have 2 in 1...lol
Re: Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. by Albertone(m): 9:13pm On Nov 26, 2021
blank:

Get a professional designation like Cbab. You can add PMP and Agile/Scrum. Find your way out of Nigeria and earn good money.

Any degree you have will be good as a start.

Please can you elaborate?

Also,can I work with those certificates without hands on experience on the job?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adaku Ufere Wins African Attorney Of The Year Award In South Africa / What's The Most Polite Way To Ask For The Payment Of Your Salary? / Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.