Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member (5053 Views)

Tuface And Rep Member Herman Hembe Back In The Days / Video: Nigerian House Of Rep Member Defending Pay, Says He Is Not Payed Enough / Campaign Against Your Rep Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Kobojunkie: 2:10pm On May 24, 2011
maimalari:

“Democracy is not cheap. Democracy is very expensive. But the product of the expense is what the people should focus on,” he said. We have not been doing that. People malign us in the assembly, that we are stealing the money. Well, I think we must have a whipping boy. Somebody must be at the receiving end. But if Nigerians want democracy they must be willing to pay for it.”

According to him, were it not for the refusal of President Goodluck Jonathan to sign the recently passed supplementary budget, the issue would not have blown open to the public.

‘Jumbo pay is necessary’

According to Mr Adeseun, the leadership of the house was making necessary efforts to see that the issues are resolved “in a matter of days” and to ensure that the house does not close on a rancourous note.

“It is most unfortunate that the event came about because it takes away from the very quality work that the house had done in the last four years and it is a disservice to the members and the institution itself. But that is life. We can’t always determine how events unfold. We are very much on top of the situation and we will soon resolve the matter,” Mr Adeseun said. “I am confident that in the next few days we would have resolved the crisis in the house. All efforts are underway to ensure that members are paid their entitlements and that the house closes on a very positive note.”

Call am "Ole" . . , ole !!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by fuke(m): 2:20pm On May 24, 2011
@ Posters

Please note that until very recently Adeseun was  a PDP guy. He read the political barometer properly
and switches allegiance. He still has PDP blood in him and thinks the typical PDP.

By the time he sits with The Tinubus. The Akandes, The Aregbesolas, The Fashola, his orientation
will change and will no more shoot his mouth anyhow.

For now he is talking for PDP. Hear what Ojudu said in Ekiti. He said the Pay is too much.
He derided what they call constituency allowance which he says is usurping the field of the executive.

By and large we will get there
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Outstrip(f): 2:22pm On May 24, 2011
Honestly when I saw "democracy is expensive" I thought I was going to be reading about paying taxes and things like that. This fool is talking about his salary. I tire for una country sha
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by dejavus: 2:38pm On May 24, 2011
if you ask me, all the current Political Office Holders should be shot, end of!

I got it from a recently elected ACN Rep Candidate that the order from Tinubu is that out of the £120,000 quarterly Allowance of the Reps, 50% of the Figure goes into ACN's Pocket indirectly Tinubu's Pocket!
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by beeman80: 2:44pm On May 24, 2011
Arrant rubbish! He has failed to justify beyond reasonable doubt, the reason for the jumbo pay.Are our legislators more sophisticated or different from their foreign counterparts? Our roads are bad,no light,the street lights are hanging on the streets as ordinary poles,parents pay through their nostrils to send their kids to good schools while our dear legislators are busy deceiving the populace.Mr Adeseun is only FOOLING himself.For all i care their JUMBO PAY should be slashed by 75percent.They should stop feeding fat on us.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by beeman80: 2:52pm On May 24, 2011
A revolution is coming very soon.Its going to be worse than what we presently have in Libya and the likes.This is how it gradually starts.The youths are fuming in anger gradually.The likes of Mr Adeseun will certainly be the top targets.You people are just a bunch of heartless vultures.You are all well traveled and know what is obtainable abroad but fail to implement it in your own motherland.You all hide in your deep tinted expensive cars with no care as to how the common man survives.You now have the guts to come out here to Justify your broad day light robbery?You cant walk the streets without been body-guarded because you are not clean.These people are pissing me.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Nobody: 2:57pm On May 24, 2011
Outstrip:

Honestly when I saw "democracy is expensive" I thought I was going to be reading about paying taxes and things like that. This fool is talking about his salary. I tire for una country sha

No be ya country too?
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by agabaI23(m): 3:02pm On May 24, 2011
dejavus:

I[b] got it from a recently elected ACN Rep Candidate that the order from Tinubu is that out of the £120,000 quarterly Allowance of the Reps, 50% of the Figure goes into ACN's Pocket indirectly Tinubu's Pocket![/b]
Are you sure of this?

You can understand what he has been doing to Fashiola. The guy would have transformed Lagos more than he has done now.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Kilode1: 3:46pm On May 24, 2011
fuke:

[b]By the time he sits with The Tinubus. The Akandes, The Aregbesolas, The Fashola, his orientation
will change and will no more shoot his mouth anyhow.

Hear what Ojudu said in Ekiti. He said the Pay is too much.[/b]For now he is talking for PDP.

By and large we will get there

Right. I don't like to glorify politicians, but since I already condemned Adeseun on the first page, let me just add that; yes, I believe we will get there as long as we continue to make the right choices.

Just like @Koruji said, politicians are your employees, if you don't punish them when they err, you'll essentially turn them into your overlords. All 150 Million Nigerians are not the same, but unfortunately, we have a Government system that forces you to be corrupt.

We have a totally lunatic federal structure where so few control so much. I cannot understand why we have LAW MAKERS receiving personal allocations for individual constituency projects for example. SMH

Anyway, Read Ekiti Governor, Kayode Fayemi's words on a similar issue;

"You talk about money and the limited resources we have in the state. Governance itself cannot be impeded by limited resources. Governance as far as I am aware, can only be limited by your lack of ideas and your lack of will. If you have will and you have ideas, then there’s going to be a way -Kayode Fayemi (ACN, Ekiti State) 

http://actioncongressnigeria.org/2011/05/17/fayemi-we%E2%80%99ve-brought-sanity-into-governance/ 

^^ That is how I want my leaders to reason.

If you can't articulate an understanding of issues in that manner and back it up with actions, then I have a responsibility to ensure that you quickly become unemployed by voting you out.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by lucabrasi(m): 3:52pm On May 24, 2011
democracy just like anything is only worth what the populace are willing to pay for it,or tolerate being paid for it,therefore reasons that if they have been getting the jumbo pay all these time and we keep voting them in without protest they must deserve it or we are consenting to the jumbo pay they are getting.
secondly if the man says democracy is expensive,he is totally right because he knows how much he spent on the electorate while campaigning as opposed to other forms of electoral govt so all this venting it sjust hot air that wont resolve or change much
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by walab: 4:34pm On May 24, 2011
It is high time the CIVIL SOCIETY AND NLC WOKE UP.WE CAN'T CONTINUE THIS WAY.IF ALL OF US CAN SPEAK WITH ONE VOICE,WE CAN SACK ALL THESE CLOGS IN THE WHEELS OF PROGRESS OF THIS COUNTRY.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by andyanders: 5:07pm On May 24, 2011
Dont you know that House of Reps and Assemblies are all rogu-es?. For now, no DEMOCRACY in Nigeria. What we have are pen robbers and ocultic men. Until we politics less attractive by paying politicians normal civil service salary not exceedind N200,000 a month without any other allowances, then descent people who can only serve, will come onboard. What we have now are all high way robbers as politicians.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by NaijaDemo: 5:13pm On May 24, 2011
Now I know why their is no progress in Nigeria. Please can this man come out and tell us what they have done so far. Democracy is expensive, good but where is the value for our money?. and as for the problem in the house they want to fix, can this man look us in the face and tell us what the problem is?. it is a shame someone can still defend shamelessness. I pity naija. We still have a long way to go in this country.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Lagosboy: 5:26pm On May 24, 2011
dejavus:

I got it from a recently elected ACN Rep Candidate that the order from Tinubu is that out of the £120,000 quarterly Allowance of the Reps, 50% of the Figure goes into ACN's Pocket indirectly Tinubu's Pocket!

I have no doubt in my mind at all abou this. The point is the ACN reps and sorts spent limited amount of their resources campaigning. In fact in many parts of the SW majority of the people did not know the ACN legislative candidates but just voted the party.

The reps never had any serious structure on ground but all rode on ACNs structure , the guys have to pay something back to the party which is a cut of their salary. I am not sure if this is just Lagos or the entire SW but what i am sure is in LAgos , Tinubu single handedly picked the reps and whatever he asks them to do they will do as they owe him their allegiance and not the people.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by ziccoit: 5:32pm On May 24, 2011
I am not here supporting any party or thinking there is one which is infallible in its dealings. However the utterance coming out of this man only points to the fact that no society could get it right without a working system. Mr Adeseun only tells us the type of system that built him.

I am 100% sure his view does not represent what ACN stands for as a party. Mr Adeseun remain a PDP member until 29th of this month when all arms of this present government will be expected to fade out of existence.

WHO IS MR AYO ADESEUN?

Background:

Ayo Adeseun was born on 1 January 1953.He gained his West African School Certificate in 1972 from Ogbomoso Grammar School, Ogbomoso, Oyo State. In 1976 he obtained a Diploma in Town Planning from Ibadan Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo State, and was an Assistant Town Planning Officer with Urban Development Consultants in Ibadan from 1976 to 1977.

Moving to California, United States, Adeseun worked as an Associate Planner, Southern California Association of Governments, Los Angeles from March 1980 until November 1982, and then as a Budget/Administrative Analyst with the same organization from November 1982 to April 1987. In 1986 he won a B.A in Political Science/Public Administration from California State University, Pomona, California, U.S.A. He then held a series of administrative positions associated with logistics at Santa Monica College (1987-1989), California State University (1989-1992) and Saddleback College (April 1992 - September 1994). Returning to Nigeria in 1994, Adeseun became a Principal Partner and Chief Executive Officer of Facilities and Environmental Management Associates, in Ibadan from 1994 to 1996.

Political career
Adeseun was elected on a non-party basis as Executive Chairman of the Surulere Local Government, Iresaadu, Oyo State, holding office from March 1996 to January 1997, and was reelected to this position on a party basis, holding office until July 1998. He was the founding State Chairman of the All People's Party (APP) in Oyo State (Sept 1998 - February 2000). From October 1999 to February 2003 he was Chairman of the Board of Directors, Oyo State Transport Company.

In April 2003 Adeseun was elected a member of the Federal House of Representatives. He was appointed Chairman of the Appropriations Sub Committees on Power & Steel, and Science & Technology. He was a member of House Committees on Appropriations, Education, Judiciary, Information and Gas Resources. He was reelected to the House of Representatives in April 2007 for the Ogo-Oluwa/Surulere Oluyole constituency, running on the People's Democratic Party (PDP) platform. He was appointed Chairman of the South West Parliamentary Caucus, Chairman of the House Committee on Appropriations, and member of House Committees on Pension Matters, Rural Development, Sports and National Planning.

In February 2011 Adeseun said the Federal government had only recorded about 40% of the capital budget being implemented, and this was only about 30% of the total national budget. He said lack of capital expenditure was not a good omen for Nigeria. Senate President David Mark agreed, saying "No nation desirous of meaningful development can afford such a disproportionate allocation of its financial resources between consumption and investment". Adeseun noted a wide discrepancy between claims of implementation rate between the legislature and the executive. Speaking in March 2011, Adeseun said that the Appropriation Bill 2011 had been passed out of the national interest, citing intense pressure from the Executive, despite the initial refusal by the House since some agencies had failed to present their budgets.

Adeseun was a supporter of Oyo State Governor Adebayo Alao-Akala (also from Ogbomoso) during the extended legal disputes over Alao-Akala's election in 2007/2008. Later, the two men were estranged. Adeseun defected to the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) party in 2010. In the 9 April 2011 election for the Oyo Central Senate seat, Adeseun ran on the (ACN) platform, winning 105,975 votes, ahead of Luqman O. Ilaka of the Accord party with 92,544 votes and the People's Democratic Party (PDP) candidate with 78,643 votes.

From all indications, I would not be surprised if the man decamp back to PDP and embraces the system that builds him after the inauguration of the 6th national assembly coming June 6th, 2011.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by anointedf(m): 5:40pm On May 24, 2011
Chei!, I lost my vote. Na dis guy i vote for oooo.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Rossikk(m): 5:44pm On May 24, 2011
I wonder how many of you posters will volunteer to slash your salary by 4/5ths if you happened to be voted in as a senator.

My guess is NONE of you would.

Abi the legislators came from another country? Are they not Nigerians like you?

Somebody said ''revolution''.

Don't make me laugh.

After the ''revolution'', the oga who led the fight will gather his own comrades, slash their official salaries, and allocate each of of them private oil blocks instead.

Irrevolu.

Abeg make we hear something ojare! I even like the present arrangement - high salaries should help reduce corruption. The worst is paying them ''Texas salary'', when you JUST KNOW THEY WILL do whatever it takes to make extra money.

Afterall, is it not their families, friends, wives, children, mothers, US, who encourage them to ''show that they are a senator'' by being massively rich?
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by bkbabe97y(m): 5:49pm On May 24, 2011
Wow, thanks to Ibos the only black country that has Super Power potential is going down the drain. My only joy though is that Ibos have been shown that they are inconsequential and irrelevant in Nigeria despite their rigging prowess. Fifth Class citizens in the land of their birth. That alone, gives me tremendous joy. Freaking cannibalistic monkeys!
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by lucabrasi(m): 5:54pm On May 24, 2011
dejavus:

pls stop peddling beer parlour rumours,which unknown acn rep candidate told you that?its obvious you an agent of one of the other parties tryng to use the forum to inject your party propaganda i dont support any party but individuals but go and put up an advert in the newspapers if you are sure of your source and not make unsubstantiated assertions which cannot be independently confirmed
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Kinikini: 6:22pm On May 24, 2011
ACN owes Nigerians an apology. The party owes Oyo State apology for recycling this man. If this man were still PDP, I will find the comment to type but not ACN. Can ACN decamp this man now because he can only bring more disgrace and bad publicity.

Is ACN loosing the grip due to massive gains in popularity?
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by hackney(m): 6:59pm On May 24, 2011
Naija ppl , keep hoping that without bloodshed corruption will go away you hear?
nonsense ppl.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by tofeenab(m): 7:02pm On May 24, 2011
What do you  expect to come out of the mouth of our Nigerian politicians! We aRE IN BIG sHIT WITH THESE PRESENT LEGISLATORS.

Most of the Politicians that won under ACN were they not former PDP candidates?

Nothing has change at all. It is still same of the same.

They only changed there Garments. wE OWE THE POPULACE, ESPECIALLY THROUGH NL, TO KEEP A PROPER TAB ON THEM & TRY AND REPORT

OR CRY OUT WIT EVIDENCES TO THE APPROPRIATE AUTHORITIES WHEN THEY ARE AT IT AGAIN/ GOD BLESS NIGERIA/
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by shady26(m): 7:43pm On May 24, 2011
@alhaji harem,wat has gej,beaf,SS and SE got to do with an ACN lawmaker frm SW trying to justify looting.was it also GEJ that helped NASS legitimise looting via jumbo pay?
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by jmaine: 8:20pm On May 24, 2011
Most Nigerian politicians are simply the same , they cross carpet to other political party platform at any given whim to achieve their political objective, we should not hide under the emblem that since he decamped from the PDP  to the ACN then the ACN is devoid of his kind and mentality . . .Ever heard of the gangsterism of Senator Ayo Arise of my state . . .He was a former gubernatorial aspirant of the AD and the AC before he pitched his tent with the PDP . . . What about Ambassador Musiliu Obanikoro we all know who is daddy was before they got estranged which led to his crossing to camp PDP . . . . 
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by shady26(m): 8:41pm On May 24, 2011
I SMELL ANOTHER NAIRALAND CIVIL WAR!!ALL ARMS IN ATTACK OF FELLOW NAIRALANDRS FRM DIFFERENT ETHNIC GROUPS(EXCLUSIVELY FOR BIGOTS)
bk.babe97y:

Wow, thanks to Ibos the only black country that has Super Power potential is going down the drain. My only joy though is that Ibos have been shown that they are inconsequential and irrelevant in Nigeria despite their rigging prowess. Fifth Class citizens in the land of their birth. That alone, gives me tremendous joy. Freaking cannibalistic monkeys!
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Nobody: 8:50pm On May 24, 2011
The should have said that politicking in Nigeria is expensive and that Nigerian politicians should be adequately compensated. He is stupid anyway.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 24, 2011
Nigerian democracy is expensive.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 24, 2011
anointed_f:

Chei!, I lost my vote. Na dis guy i vote for oooo.
lol, why u dey grumble na?shebi u vote for party instead of candidate?na him good 4 una.smart guy go soon decamp back 2 pdp by mid-june tongue
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by lucabrasi(m): 9:23pm On May 24, 2011
hackney:

Naija ppl , keep hoping that without bloodshed corruption will go away you hear?
nonsense ppl.
you r chilling out in hackney and you r expecting people in nigeria to fight and shed blood for corruption to go away?seeing as we r in a country where revolution and then democracy has taken root i reckon we should be the one to start it off then the average nigerian will join in
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by lanrujay(m): 9:57pm On May 24, 2011
all Nigerian politicians are the same !
all i can suggest is that sometime soon there will be some great revolution to wipe them all out!
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Koikoi(m): 10:36pm On May 24, 2011
In Nigeria, democracy is not for the poor going by David Mark's analogy.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by omi247(f): 12:45am On May 25, 2011
cry God and the whole universe is weeping for Nigeria.

Nigerians collectively are too docile. I pray for the day when I will stop hearing 'God will deliver us from this mess' and the like. Stop it! God will not save u! ("In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead." - James 2:17) If I jump in front of one of the many speeding trailers driving around Lagos with no brakes and shout "God will save me!" will I walk away unscathed or more likely have scheduled a face-to-face meeting with my Creator to ask Him why I am not still earthbound

Until there is no real financial incentive for political offices and severe penalty for corruption and fraud we will never rid ourselves of these vermin and find the people who truly want to do good by their country and countrymen.

But alas it is easier said than done, we must hold them accountable somehow and I do not see how it can be done without major uprising and an unfortunate loss of life. We are not fed up enough yet. sad

If Fashola becomes president in 2015, I suggest he commission a project to build a maximum security super-prison specially for politicians. Maybe we can reserve a nice cushy suite there for Mr Adeseun.

‘Jumbo pay is necessary' , Rubbish and nonsense!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is President Jonathan Trying To Sweep The Subsidy Probe Under The Carpet? / A Documented History of Political Corruption In Nigeria / 2019 Igbo Presidency: 5 Valid Options- Danjuma Abdullah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.