Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer (8833 Views)

Can I Call Myself A Good Programmer If I Only Know Visual Basic / Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer / [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by chocobunny(f): 9:29pm On May 25, 2011
Hello dear. The answer is yes. I am a female and I have several languages under my belt, the strongest of which is C++. I enjoy it very much and I know several other women who are far better at it than me. Do exactly what you love. I am in a male-dominated field but when you are good people will see it.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by SpikesC1: 10:23pm On May 25, 2011
Chei,our women don dey show. What do you guys think about programmers dating programmers ;, who want test am first, 30days FREE trial
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by candylips(m): 10:47pm On May 25, 2011
chocobunny:

Hello dear. The answer is yes. I am a female and I have several languages under my belt, the strongest of which is C++. I enjoy it very much and I know several other women who are far better at it than me. Do exactly what you love. I am in a male-dominated field but when you are good people will see it.

wow C++ thats impressive. never get my head around that language
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Blogicon1(m): 10:51pm On May 25, 2011
I've read all the replies to the op, and i must say that i'm overwhelmed at the number of progamming geeks we have on NL.

I'm an aspiring progammer too but i need advise. i don't know the language that is best to start with. Some people have been advising C+ while some have been talking of .NET. what do you guys think? i need good advises pls!
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by N101: 10:56pm On May 25, 2011
@ poster - I went to university with some very good female programmers, even better than some of the guys. No assumption can be made as to whether a female can be a good programmer unless you've lived a very sheltered life.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by nettan: 11:03pm On May 25, 2011
dazzle37:

@ Op

Yes there is no crime in becoming a programmer, i am a female too and i also love programming, but i have never really contributed to this section of

nairaland because every time i come in here, i only see the ( M ) status so i did not want to be the odd one out or the only female in this section.

With the right tools and determination, you can be what ever you want to be. e.g for me,

i[b]ts not just programming alone, i am also oracle certified, i studied oracle 10g, i run my oracle on linux not even on windows[/b], windows is now strange to

me, not just that alone, i am also a software quality tester, software testing and auditing is actually a new aspect of IT in nigeria, Nigeria has not yet fully

explored that aspect of IT yet, And the funny part is not just that you know software testing, there is really alot of money in it too if you know your

onions but it is what i really love doing too. i like the challenges that comes with programming and managing or creating a

database, it keeps me going everyday, infact, i see it as part of my daily balance diet. LOL.i also come to nairaland programming section to read and learn

new stuffs everyday, though i have never

commented reason being that, i did not want to be the odd one out, the only female among the guys here.

so i really want to encourage you to do what you enjoy doing and the sky is your limit.

Nice  to know you are OCP. I am currently studying for PL/SQL program unit exam(oracle 10g) and would not mind to rub minds with you. Could you please shed more light on Oracle opportunities in Nigeria. Also i've been trying to solve a problem using PL/SQL table for days now. would be glad if you could have a look,  my email is 'n e t t a n 3 7@gmail.com'. many more oracle questions,
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by ajadudu: 11:30pm On May 25, 2011
@OP
If you are asking this question, then your problem is not if you can technically become good at programming, but that of low self esteem.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by NumberOne2(m): 12:09am On May 26, 2011
Being a lady Programmer is like being in the Military. There are a tonne of guys around and few gals. In such situations, if you're good on the job, you'll get your FULL respect plus the WOW factor. By WOW factor I mean when folks say "WOW, she can do that? But she's a lady".
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by BabyCakes(f): 4:39am On May 26, 2011
Mr, Cork:

Babycake. madam can u operate a electrick cookers or you nomaly fetch firewood?  undecided
Mr Cork, are you human or just a computer generated Virus that infects Nairaland with sheer ignorance and exceptionally bad grammer You strike me as an attention seeking layabout from the slum, who's only form of entertainment is coming here to talk rubbish! And before you even say it "NO I AM NOT IBO" (No Offeinse) sucker!!!
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by MrCork17: 9:23am On May 26, 2011
BabyCakes:

Mr Cork,  are you human or just a computer generated Virus that infects Nairaland with sheer ignorance and exceptionally bad grammer You strike me as an attention seeking layabout from the slum, who's only form of entertainment is coming here to talk rubbish! And before you even say it "NO I AM NOT IBO" (No Offeinse) sucker!!!

Madam.   too musssh grammmar. no wonder you cant find man!!!  undecided
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by 190: 10:47am On May 26, 2011
grin grin grin
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by brojero: 11:25am On May 26, 2011
This is a brainless topic. You need to come out of the stone age

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by vislabraye(m): 12:25pm On May 26, 2011
Doctors, Engineers, Pilots, Accountants, Chemists, Physists, Mathematicians, Astronauts, Space Aircraft Engineers and we have been known to pilot Space Aircraft from this ground wey you stand into Space in the 1990's and we wanted to duck it in[b] Space but your male egos, jealousy and insecurities[/b] set in at the moment of ducking and we were deprived from beating you guys hands down.

Another dimension. Beating men hands down?
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by MrCork17: 12:29pm On May 26, 2011
and again, what is this world comin to?  how can a woman be driving Motor Cycle? angry
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by 190: 12:41pm On May 26, 2011
grin grin grin
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by poweredcom(m): 2:00pm On May 26, 2011
well there can be , but women these days are not brillant any more all they think is how to do their hairstyle, and that , material thing
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by dazzle37(f): 2:21pm On May 26, 2011
nettan:

Nice to know you are OCP. I am currently studying for PL/SQL program unit exam(oracle 10g) and would not mind to rub minds with you. Could you please shed more light on Oracle opportunities in Nigeria. Also i've been trying to solve a problem using PL/SQL table for days now. would be glad if you could have a look, my email is 'n e t t a n 3 7@gmail.com'. many more oracle questions,

Sorry i am just seeing your comment now, what is the problem you have been trying to solve with PL/SQL table, drop it here and i would come back to check it later, b/t : where are you studying or where did you learn oracle ? or it is self taught ? i would like to know.
and a little tip, to make it easier for you, transfar your SQL problems to enterprise manager first, its easier for me to do my SQL via enterprise manager rather than doing it straight from the domain.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by MrCork17: 3:47pm On May 26, 2011
dazzle37:

Sorry i am just seeing your comment now, what is the problem you have been trying to solve with PL/SQL table, drop it here and i would come back to check it later, b/t : where are you studying or where did you learn oracle ? or it is self taught ? i would like to know.
and a little tip, to make it easier for you, transfar your SQL problems to enterprise manager first, its easier for me to do my SQL via enterprise manager rather than doing it straight from the domain.

dazzle37. Madam aint u suppose to be learning how to coook n Cleen or find husband? (no oofeinse) undecided
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Afritelly: 3:57pm On May 26, 2011
Yes, woman can be a good programmers. I know some women arround me that they are very good programmer: C - working as embbeded programmer, Iphone developer, Testers and so on.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by nettan: 4:08pm On May 26, 2011
dazzle37:

Thank you for your reply. I did an Msc Prog in Advance Information Technology Using Oracle from the University of Westminster London(2009/2010) and currently studying for the PL/SQL Program Unit exam

my question is from Oracle University material , 'Oracle Database 10g: Develop PL/SQL Program Units. Practice 4 Q3b' It would be easier for you to understand the genesis of the problem if you still have the material. I believe you must have solved this problem while preparing for the same exam.

I am trying to code a function that returns a BOOLEAN data type for the purpose of validating the department_id using the department_id as the index for the PL/SQL table of a BOOLEAN type.

Quoting the question Verbatim
'In the package body, implement the INIT_DEPARTMENTS procedure to store all department IDs in a private PL/SQL index-by table named valid_departments containing BOOLEAN values. Use the department_id column value as the index to create the entry in the index-by table to indicate its presence, and assign the entry a value of TRUE. Declare the valid_departments variable and its type definition boolean_tabtype before all procedures in the body'

Please let me know if you need something clarified and thanks for offering to help.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 26, 2011
Yep! it might take a little while but it will be worth it smiley. I am also tryin to learn, but havent had time, im looking for someone to teach me because i have a really good application I want to make grin
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by blindcopy: 4:34pm On May 26, 2011
Temi, the team lead and originator of the idea that won the recently concluded garage48 competition (www.garage48.org) is a woman, and a .NET programmer. She also served as the DBA while we worked on the project.

The project is callcamp (www.callcamp.net) that is currently being upgraded to a full retail solution. You can read about it here: http://www.portlagos.com and here: http://www.garage48.com

Gina Trapani, co-host of this week in google (http://www.twit.tv/twig) is a woman and she regularly features other female programmers.

There is no negative female programmer stereotype, it will not make you seem male, or make you get fat/ignore your appearance. Many of the top female programmers are very attractive, and anything that indicates intelligence makes you more desirable!

There are a few small pitfalls though:

* Male dominated field (Shouldnt be a problem)
* Irregular working hours (You need understanding family, but this goes both ways)

Thankfully, the problems of sexism, marginalisation, etc are NOT present in the programming profession, in fact men welcome female programmers because the level of interest is so low!

So welcome to the fold! Hope you plan to stay
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by MrCork17: 5:34pm On May 26, 2011
what is the world comin to?? can u imagine a woman driving motor cycle? undecided
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by kodewrita(m): 8:20am On May 27, 2011
Mr, Cork:

what is the world comin to?? can u imagine a woman driving motor cycle? undecided

Dude, come to the east (Southeast to be specific), they do.

@Poster, Anybody can be a programmer and a woman can be even more successful if she uses her emotional side/conversational skills to learn more from the customer about what solution is required than a man who would rather assess you analytically at a thousand mile range.

besides you are culturally at an advantage: You are bred to be responsible. most women in nigeria can be trusted to cook a pot to conclusion. Cooking takes patience. Same skills needed to be a star programmer who DELIVERS.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Jeezuzpick(m): 11:54am On May 27, 2011
There ARE good female programmers, and there ARE good male cooks.

Why bother our minds about the obvious?

Your sex doesn't bar you from doing anything you want to (Good or Bad)

There are female Race car drivers, female ASTRONAUTS, female Suicide Bombers,

Should I go on?

Male chauvinism is a dead sport!

I'm a man.
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Dimkyky: 3:41pm On May 27, 2011
Thanx All for ur words they have really made me see sense and i really am ready to become a professional programmer. @Mr Cork thanx also lol
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by 2buff4Mods(m): 5:35pm On May 27, 2011
You go girl. grin
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Dimkyky: 6:08pm On May 27, 2011
Please i need videos on visual basic 8 or 10 and Java. To start
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by Dimkyky: 6:08pm On May 27, 2011
makinwab@yahoo.com is my email add
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by kodewrita(m): 7:21pm On May 27, 2011

Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by omobana: 7:11pm On May 28, 2011
Yes a woman be a programmer but as it has been mentioned it can be addictive. It is also time consuming. Long days. Working weekends. Working after work hours. You are constantly programming.

My best advice is dont go into programming because you want to work for someone. Always have the zeal that one day you would design a breakthrough app.

Like hotmail, facebook, linkedin, and many other standalone softwares out there
Re: Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer by member479760: 8:21am On May 30, 2011
why not. go ahead you can start with the easy ones not necessary programming language but scripting language for web from that you start going step by step. creating animations initially will really encourage you to move on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Smart Card Plant Supports Expansion Of Financial Services To Poor / School Management System-SMS (version 1.7) Upgrade / Kehinde Adeyemi Among 12 Best Global IT Developers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.