Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,339 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni (35258 Views)

I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car / What Car Can My Mum Buy With 1million Naira Budget? / What Car Type Can A Family Man With An Income Of 110k Per Month Maintain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by RAbayomi: 12:35pm On Sep 12, 2021
You do not limit your comparison to only UK. You may find out the way vehicle horn or some other piece of technology is used or applied differs from country to country.
The idea of taking the way things are done in Nigeria as the negative way is something else.
Take the way gun is abused in America as an example, no country will see it as the civilized way to go. Another example is wedding practice in India compared to Nigeria. It is not bad to try to refine certain societal practice here in Nigeria but not from the mindset that everything foreign is always the right way.
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by Federalofficia(m): 12:55pm On Sep 12, 2021
cheesy cheesy
centoke30:
Is he okay? So if I get to the gate I should come down from my car to knock on the gate? Or if keke napep is driving sluggishly in front, I should wind down and call him to move over to the slow lane? Please I'm not getting what he meant ooo
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by charleoj(m): 1:08pm On Sep 12, 2021
Oga Reno,
Nothing to unlearn sir. Nigeria na emergency ward. We no dey use horn unnecessarily.
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by snoopz: 1:10pm On Sep 12, 2021
When you're in Rome behave like a Roman and when you're in Nigeria behave like a Nigerian
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by neyobills: 1:15pm On Sep 12, 2021
In my own opinion I felt exactly the same way until I travelled out of Nigeria,it was not until then I noticed the indiscriminate use of horns by Nigerians because u hardly hear horns blaring all about in any sane country out there,however their roads are so planned that with everything from streetlights and pedestrian crossing that u might not need to horn for any reason except in an emergency for real,plus less cars on the streets where metros are available,plus Nigerians are generally almost always in a rush for everything I didn’t realize that as well until I travelled.
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by lookingfly: 1:29pm On Sep 12, 2021
The one wey de pain me pass na say, you de hold up and no way to pass for your front but the car immediately back of you go still de press horn like say him/her no get eyes to see say no where to pass......I can drive comfortable without horns, but you see side mirrors, that one na sure accident loading.
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by Regex: 1:44pm On Sep 12, 2021
saphiere:
We learn everyday.

We learn every day.

You learn any day.
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by sorepco(m): 2:15pm On Sep 12, 2021
People get fined for honking horn in UK? U de lie my guy

omanzo02:

He is correct! mainland Europe don't abuse horn, I didn't noticed abuse of horn in the UK unless you live in those Arabs, Africans and mostly immigrants concentrated areas .....and they get fine when caught by the police.
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by Akhee: 2:19pm On Sep 12, 2021
saphiere:
I never realised what car horns were meant for until I went to university in England – Reno Omokri

A Nigerian human rights activist and lawyer, Bemigho Reno Omokri has revealed when he realised what car horns are meant for, WonderTV Media reports.

Posting on his Instagram, Reno disclosed that he never knew that car horns are meant for emergencies until he went to a university in England.
He said when he was in Nigeria, he thought a car horn was meant to make the car in front of the driver move faster or it was meant to call the gateman to open the gate.

Reno stated that, in Nigeria, people use car horns to greet.

Read his post below:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTrhLCRD87v/
. How you come dey call your children to come enter car to school? Your own Na Kri Kri Kri. If dem no comot you go come Re-kri Re-kri Re-kri the horn abi
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by COMPAQ(m): 2:21pm On Sep 12, 2021
Delphi:
Very correct!. In Europe, one can stay for 6 months without hearing the bleep of a vehicle's horn. The only horn/noise one will hear is siren from ambulances on medical evacuation.

True! I've been in Houston for 3 months now and I have not heard a car horn once!!

But then again the environment is different. Here people driving are sane and mostly far better educated than most drivers in Nigeria. Also there are no street traders and hawkers, roads are better marked and people stay in their lanes and trafficate properly, and the driving density is not as high. Also before you get your license you do online course and then go take your test. And it is made clear that driving on the road is not a right, but a privilege to be taken seriously for the safety of yourself and others.
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by COMPAQ(m): 2:28pm On Sep 12, 2021
Okoyedavid3:

So he had to go to university to learn this. Lemme keep quiet. What other things did he go to learn in the university.

Very shallow mind you are. He didn't say he want to learn it in university, but he observed it while in university in UK.

Comprehension eludes many of us in Nigeria. That's why we fail exams very easily cos we actually can't comprehend what the question is really asking.
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by seanjy4konji: 2:30pm On Sep 12, 2021
No be person weh don cook stew this month they get passport to travel to another man country....Millions never reach airport road before...

Abeg we get issues weh deh bother us pass horn.
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by COMPAQ(m): 2:37pm On Sep 12, 2021
broswilli:
Horn before overtaking, it is common sense to alert the driver in front of you that you are about to overtake so that he doesn't turn to overtake the car in front of him while trying to overtake him.

That is only necessary in Nigeria because we do not drive properly. Why would you change lanes without using your side mirror. Using horn is a symptom of bad driving.
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by centoke30(m): 3:22pm On Sep 12, 2021
CoolAmbience:

He has run out of ideas on what to write on social media.....

Horns aren't for emergencies. That's a big, fat lie.

They are designed for use to get the attention of others.

If vehicle horns are for emergencies, what then are sirens for?.....pregnancies I guess.

Abeg, leave Reno. The guy no well.

leave that man, comparing naija life to UK standard
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by centoke30(m): 3:26pm On Sep 12, 2021
elampiro:

I live in Europe. There is no car horn hear. Car horn is pollution. Life expectancy in Nigeria is low due to our way of living- unnecessary stress we invite. I can drive in a month without using a horn. But way back in Nigeria, horn was part of my driving
thats what I'm trying to say, over there it might be different but once you enter here, you go activate your car horn mentality ooo
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by Kylce042(m): 3:29pm On Sep 12, 2021
saphiere:
I never realised what car horns were meant for until I went to university in England – Reno Omokri

A Nigerian human rights activist and lawyer, Bemigho Reno Omokri has revealed when he realised what car horns are meant for, WonderTV Media reports.

Posting on his Instagram, Reno disclosed that he never knew that car horns are meant for emergencies until he went to a university in England.
He said when he was in Nigeria, he thought a car horn was meant to make the car in front of the driver move faster or it was meant to call the gateman to open the gate.

Reno stated that, in Nigeria, people use car horns to greet.

Read his post below:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTrhLCRD87v/

I dy watch oyibo movie them dy use horn greet too and to call on the other drivers attention
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by armyofone(m): 3:46pm On Sep 12, 2021
Some people here uses car horn to get the car in front of you moving - some drivers stop at traffic red light, start texting and forget when the light turns green...just one "pom" off they go grin
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by xjiggy: 3:58pm On Sep 12, 2021
Those who don't have cars or don't drive in Nigeria will come here to support Reno. They do horn in the USA but not like the way in Nigeria. It's different climes. You don't expect me to sit with folded hands when Danfo is parked in my front picking up passengers. With the amount of street trading, hawkers and reckless crossing of the roads by pedestrians, it is imperative you use ur horn sometimes for driving ease
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by Gfskw: 4:31pm On Sep 12, 2021
Really
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by odonkoro: 4:35pm On Sep 12, 2021
Why do we always want to emulates what other people do; can't we develop our our own way of doing things differently so that other people will emulate us?
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by simhosting: 4:49pm On Sep 12, 2021
Emergency = Nigeria Road
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by Buksaylor: 5:12pm On Sep 12, 2021
centoke30:
Is he okay? So if I get to the gate I should come down from my car to knock on the gate? Or if keke napep is driving sluggishly in front, I should wind down and call him to move over to the slow lane? Please I'm not getting what he meant ooo

I'd you ain't daft,you would have understood.....
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by Kay25(m): 5:37pm On Sep 12, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Horns are meant for one basic thing, COMMUNICATION!

And we communicate a lot here in Nigeria not like those dead people over at Europe, who live in graves.
We communicate more with it?have u seen those taxis and okada riders in ibadan that would just be pressing on for no reason?is that communication?you said Europe are dead people or they live life orderly?if Nigeria is in order and we don't drive or use roads like mad folks do u think we will hooting like we do here?

Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:28pm On Sep 12, 2021
Nonsense. People horn to get attention of others in the US and Europe too.

Heck. During last year's presidential campaign, Obama campaigned in Georgia and they were using car horns to reply back to him.

There was even one church service video that trended online where people were using car horns to respond to the preacher.

Reno is showing signs of inferiority complex aka the white man is always right

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by Delphi(m): 8:42pm On Sep 12, 2021
Caseless:
you don't honk horn to alert pedestrians or road users unaware of their environment?

You hardly see such. There is pedestrian way as well as bicycle route. Everything is orderly. Simply put, the environment is SANE!!
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by Delphi(m): 8:43pm On Sep 12, 2021
Aguogba:

6 months is too small naa, though I understand you don't wanna exaggerate it.

You are right, bro.
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by Delphi(m): 8:52pm On Sep 12, 2021
macrodata:
my cousin came to Nigeria for the first time, from the airport trip going home she started asking what's happening on the high way? I said it was normal traffic. She said she was scared something terrible was going in because of the horns, in Norway people only horn in emergency situations.

That's how it is in sane environment.
From Norway to Sweden to Belgium (even the UK partially) things are very orderly so someone accustomed with the lifestyle over there may find what's happening every other place not sane as queer.

1 Like

Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by Delphi(m): 9:00pm On Sep 12, 2021
MALIGNANTGuest:

Not only EUROPE, Bro.
But, in every nation that has sensible creatures.
The United States and Canada same.
Since I started living in the US, I haven't horned more than 6 times.
In Fact, my first 5 attempts took place when I newly arrived the US..... Few months on arriving the US.
That was when I realized I was the only mad humans among sensible beings.

We really need a lot of deep ROOTED CHANGE in Nigeria, the genuine change starts with you.

Bro, that's good to know. You better do like the Romans at Rome!
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by centoke30(m): 9:04pm On Sep 12, 2021
Buksaylor:

I'd you ain't daft,you would have understood.....
thank god am daft maybe that's why I can't understand what you just typed. Mofo
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by Achillesglacia(m): 7:23am On Sep 13, 2021
hmm
Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by dallasi: 8:21am On Sep 13, 2021
This man can lie eh...so all those time where oyinbo dey celebrate by blowing car horn in sporting victory come be what?

Re: Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni by dallasi: 8:22am On Sep 13, 2021
Agboriotejoye:
Nonsense. People horn to get attention of others in the US and Europe too.

Heck. During last year's presidential campaign, Obama campaigned in Georgia and they were using car horns to reply back to him.

There was even one church service video that trended online where people were using car horns to respond to the preacher.

Reno is showing signs of inferiority complex aka the white man is always right

no mind that confused man

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which Good Cars Can I Buy Between 800k And 1M / Two Buses Collide On 3rd Mainland Bridge (Photos) / Review Of Armored Lexus LX 570: Official Car Of Kogi State Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.