Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car (96125 Views)

Man Takes Car For Servicing & Discovers These Animals In The Car (pics/video) / I Have Finally Bought My First Car / A Few Weeks After I Bought My First Car, I Went Home Forgetting That I Had A Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:09am On Jul 17, 2022
Previous thread https://www.nairaland.com/7225300/experience-going-lagos-purchase-toyota

For a better understanding of this thread, it is advisable that you read the previous two threads I created.

This thread is my true life story. Before I proceed on telling you my experience leaving Port Harcourt to Lagos to purchase a car, I would like you to note these few things.

1. This wasn't my first time going to Lagos though I go to Lagos once in a blue moon.

2. This was my first time going to Lagos by road.

3. I started driving a vehicle not quite long and I have not driven a car for more than 20 times.

4. I have not attended driving school before.

5. I don't see clearly at night.

Now let's begin.

Owning a car was one of the things on my to-do list for this year.
I met a couple of friends, told them my intention of buying a car and that I want a reliable, easy to maintain and less fuel consumption car. Most of them advised I should go for Toyota Corolla.

I started making plans since January. I was with N2m as budget at that time the car cost was between N2.5m and N2.7m.

When we entered April, the cost of the car hit N2.9m.

The more I delayed the higher the price of the car.

Finally on June I said I will buy the car. Visited car stands in Port Harcourt where I base the least I saw was N3.7m for American spec and N3.4m for Asian spec.

Friends advised me toto buy American spec that is stronger and better.

I entered jiji and realized that the American spec which is between N3.7m and N3.8m in Port Harcourt was N3.3 and N3m in Lagos.

I told myself that I will go to Lagos to purchase it.

A day came that I was prepared to go I went to Good is God park but their bus was full.

I went to LIBRA motor park, boarded a bus and we left PH at 8am and entered Lagos at 5pm. We got stuck at Ajah hold up from 5pm to 7pm we arrived their park.

It was raining. I looked for a hotel to pass a night there. The least hotel I saw 6k was actually a brothel very dirty and noisy. Security was not guaranteed.

I went to the one of 25k and slept till the next day.

154 Likes 17 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:09am On Jul 17, 2022
DAY 1: SEARCHING FOR TOYOTA COROLLA IN AJAH

I woke up from the hotel bed at some minutes past 5am. I was raining.
Then I created a thread asking for a good car dealer in Ajah. Thanks to some of you with your responses.

I was still in the hotel till past 3pm the rain refuses to stop. I told myself if I wait one more minute this day will go.

My plan was to buy a car that day and go back the following day.

So I began searching for the car in that rain.
I only saw it in few car stands and the prices were same with Port Harcourt price. I was shocked.

I boarded a bus to Lekki. I arrived Lekki at night so I slept in Lekki.

66 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:10am On Jul 17, 2022
DAY 2: SEARCHING FOR TOYOTA COROLLA IN LEKKI
I never knew that Corolla is a poor man's car hence why it is not sold in Lekki. I toured the whole LEKKI I couldn't find any.
I visited jiji and a dealer said he has it in Ikorodu.

I left Lekki for Ikorodu
kraftysprouts:

How are you from PH answering Abdul
I never said my state of origin is Rivers. Can't someone base in another state again? I said I live in PHC doesn't mean my state of origin is Rivers.

315 Likes 15 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:11am On Jul 17, 2022
DAY 3: SEARCHING FOR TOYOTA COROLLA IN IKORUDU.

I took a bus to Ikorudu. Getting there the jiji guy's number wasn't going through and it was raining. It has been raining since the day I stepped my feet on Lagos soil.

So I began to search for the car myself. What I saw were Nigerian used Corollas only. It was getting late so I passed the night in ikorudu.
Modified:
I didn't mention how i almost died in Lagos long bus due to smoke. I was suffocating. I sat at the extreme.

82 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:11am On Jul 17, 2022
DAY 4: SEARCHING FOR TOYOTA COROLLA IN OSHODI.
met another jiji guy who told me he has it at Surulere. While I was about going to Surulere, a number called me to come to Oshodi that the car is much over there.

I visited oshodi couldn't find any.

Contacted a jiji guy who told me he has it in Apapa.
It was late so I passed the night in Oshodi.

51 Likes 7 Shares

DAY 5: SEARCHING FOR TOYOTA COROLLA IN APAPA.
It was still raining when I woke up in Oshodi. I o lying went to Lagos with one trouser and two shirts with a pair of shoes. Everything was soaked.
I moved from Oshodi to Apapa.

Getting there I saw a lot of TOYOTA Corolla cars.
I asked their prices it was the same price with Port Harcourt. I was angried with myself. Why will I leave a car in Port Harcourt and go to Lagos to buy it at the same price.

But I didn't have a choice than to go home with a car.

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:14am On Jul 17, 2022
WHAT I DISCOVERED ABOUT ONLINE GOODS.
Most GOODS you see online, their price tags are not the real prices of those goods.

Sellers put lower prices to lure buyers to their shops.

The prices of that TOYOTA Corolla cars I saw on jiji were different when I went to meet the sellers.

They put N3m on jiji while the actual price is N3.8m
Shiko77:
I can relate, same thing happened to me last year same jiji. A guy gave me an Es350 2008 for 3.6 million in Lagos, I travelled from the east to Lagos by road, when I got to Lagos I slept at apapa and told the guy I was in town, the next day I saw this guy just to discover the guy doesn’t have a car stand anywhere in Berger and just took me round bargaining for me. I was mad at that guy and he just kept on saying sorry.I was really fustrated one of the car dealers told me in confidence that I won’t get that car less than 4.3 million, and that time it was above my budget, to cut the long story short I bought Toyota Camry 2010 model for 3.7 million and left Lagos that same day by 2pm.. Arrived owerri by 10pm. That was risky with a unregistered a vehicle. The Camry is 1 year plus and am still grateful I bought that car. No stress just servicing with Elizade at due time.
Most guys on jiji do not own cars. they are pure agents. They will go to car stands snap pictures and upload online with very low prices.

187 Likes 14 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:14am On Jul 17, 2022
LIFESTYLE OF LAGOSIANS
These people are living a very crazy lifestyle. Half of the people there are beggars.

Guys in Lekki neatly dressed stand by the roads to beg.

Also people there are very smart
t in their doings.

I saw a female police who can't be below 50yrs jumping on buses to collect money from driver's.

In PH you hardly see a female police officer running after commercial vehicles to collect money.

Most female police officers in PH who stand on the road are traffic wardens.

286 Likes 15 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:15am On Jul 17, 2022
ENVIRONMENT

Lagos is not as people say it is. In fact, the GRA in Port Harcourt is more neater and nicer than Lekki.

Lekki was nothing to write home about during my stay there.

455 Likes 26 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:16am On Jul 17, 2022
FEEDING
Food are cheaper in Lagos compare to Port Harcourt though they are notyou neatly prepared.

I remember how I was tired of junks then I told myself let me move to the locals and buy good food to eat.

Getting there I discovered that food were cheap. You can eat rice for N100.

I went to mama-put told her to put N300 rice for me which she did. When it was time to put meat, she put her bare hand inside a container and brought out pieces of meats and put in the rice. I was shocked.

I told her I was not interested in the food again.

Paid her and left. (People were lining up to get food from her).

I went to another stand. Her food was under an umbrella because it was raining.
When she opened the pot to bring out food, rain water from the umbrella was dripping inside the pot.

I left the place went to bed without food.

In Lagos food is cheap but poorly prepared.

1x2x3:
OP you bought that car total of 4.1M? That car I see in that picture?
You were robbed trust me. There are other options you could have gone for with that amount, you probably relied on the myth of fuel efficiency which you can easily get in other alternatives...... Anyway congrats.
I didn't buy the car for N4.1m

I said the cost of everything including feeding, hotels, settlement

210 Likes 17 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:17am On Jul 17, 2022
FINALLY SAW A CAR I WANTED TO BUY
Where I went to buy the car was a warehouse that contains a lot of cars. What port harcourt doesn't have.

I checked the car, it was ok to my taste. Told the dealer I was going with the vehicle that same day.

I made transfer while waiting for the dealer to get alert I have already started the registration of the car.

I was advised to register it so police would not disturb me on the road.

After registration of the vehicle it took more than 24hrs for the dealer to receive alert. In fact the dealer and I went to his bank and my bank to complain.

Finally the alert entered the following day at about 2pm. That was when the dealer issued me receipt for the car.

The car dealer and his brother were very cool and understandable

Modified: Here is the dealer's contact in case you need a good car. I am still enjoying the car. No issue. Everything working perfectly.

325 Likes 26 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:20am On Jul 17, 2022
THE PERCHERS

Once you enter the warehouse, some random boys would perched on you whether you buy a car or not the will want you to settle them.

These guys perched on me followed me bumber to bumber when I was about leaving the place I had to settle each of them.

Was terrible. Port Harcourt doesn't have such

267 Likes 17 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:22am On Jul 17, 2022
I WENT FOR BUY AND DRIVE ENDED UP GETTING BUY, REPAIR AND DRIVE

After purchasing the car I did some electrical work on it.

I wouldn't wait any I told the car I want to go.

I was told to pay land fee before the can allowed the car to leave the warehouse.

After a lot of argument I finally paid 15k land fee and I saw other buys paying it.

Since I did not know road back to Lagos I told one of thethe perchers to get me a driver that will drive the car to PH.

I was told to pay 100k. I pleaded with 70k and none could agree.

I told myself I will try to drive it home.

So I entered the car that was about 5pm.

As I just passed the gate of the warehouse I saw girls selling fuel. I stoped to buy because the dashboard showed red light.

After buying the fuel the car could not start. Called the dealer he came out.

First we thought it was battery. When we brought an electrician he discovered that the kickstarter was bad.

He took more than hour to get a new one and fixed it.

He finally fixed it and I drove off.

168 Likes 12 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:23am On Jul 17, 2022
LAGOS GROOVING
It was already late to return to Port Harcourt so I decided to go to lekki and sleep.

On my way to Lekki I missed my way. I turned one bridge more than 5times.

I started asking people for directions until a man told me that Lagos is dangerous I should be mindful of people I ask questions.

I parked the car one place go and and bought a car charger powered my phone a d made used of Google map.

I was GROOVING round Lagos with the help of Google map.

When it was 10pm I headed to Lekki so I could see a hotel to sleep in.

180 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:23am On Jul 17, 2022
CAR PLATE NUMBER THIEVES
Hotels in Lagos are expensive. The least I slept in was N8500.

Getting to Lekki I parked my car opposite a hotel as I was about going to make enquire I some so many runs girls.

One of the runs girls said, "ehn dem go chop dis man 10k today"

I called her. She thought I was calling her to ask her price.

I asked her what she meant by her statement
She told me that in that Lekki if you park your car and go away boys will loose your plate number when you are about driving out the bring it to you and tell you to pay them.

She showed me a car beside my car. When I looked at the jeep, the back plate number was removed.

I quickly entered my car drove to another hot that has gate.

Paid and slept there.

273 Likes 15 Shares

THE JOURNEY TO PORT HARCOURT
As early as 7am I was on my way toto LIBRA park.

I used to hear of LASTMA officials and how wicked they are to drivers.

I was praying not to fall victim.

I used Google map straight to the park. Met a driver heading to Port Harcourt. I told him I came to Lagos to purchase a car. I don't know my way back to ph and would like to follow him.

He told me no problem.

Soon his bus was full and he started moving.

I started my car it did not start. I almost fainted. That was the last bus to ph how will I do.

I opened the bonnet hit the battery and it started. I moved with speed even drove one way in order to meet up with the driver.

Finally met him then changed lane and was following him at the back will we got to Ogun state.

When we reached Ondo state he stoped at their stopping point told me that police and custom will disturb me on my way and in case he drove pass he directed me how I will get to warri.

techgen:
The story looked framed... 4.1m overall for corolla with electrical issue... How many check point dey between lagos and edo... The head light and bumper pulled off through accident and yet you come finally say, you got home safely and no damage on car... No pictures of your trip.

Linus just too full this country!!!

Read with understanding. I never said the bumber pulled off. I said bumber broke while fog light pulled off.

Know the difference between fog light and bumber.

That is the bummber being worked on after their accident.

110 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:26am On Jul 17, 2022
POLICE AND CUSTOMS PALAVA
I was told at that warehouse that whether I register the car or not that police will disturb me. I should hold money to settle them.

I had withdrew 50k in 200, 500 and 1000 naira notes for settlement.

My papers were complete but these officers wouldn't let me go unless I settle them.

I was just giving them money on the way.

Some I gave 5k some 2k some 1k some 500 some 200.

I spent a lot settling police at a point I made up my mind that I was not going to giveLagos them again.

When I don't give they delay me and it was getting dark and I can't see at night so I didn't have a choice than to be giving them money.

Due to police delay I missed that bus I was following. Well, those polic guys also help show me the road.

143 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:27am On Jul 17, 2022
CAR PERFORMANCE
I will not regret going to Lagos to get the car. That car's performance is 100%

If car's were birds, that car would be an eagle. The car was flying. I was moving at 170kph.

I was told that before I reached PH I will visit filling station thrice to refuel it.

And I believed because when I was going to Lagos our driver visited the filing station thrice.

The fuel consumption of this car is amazing. I filled up the tank in Lekki 55ltrs filled in.

I on A/C from Lagos to PH.
I arrived PH with enough fuel still in the tank.

312 Likes 20 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:27am On Jul 17, 2022
I HAD ACCIDENTS ON MY WAY

I left Lagos by 8am arrived PH by 9:39pm. Had a lot of stop over and delays on the road due toto police. And I missed my way in Edo state.

When I entered Bayelsa it was getting dark I couldn't see clearly so I was moving slowly.

Couldn't see potholes. Ran into a big pothole my fog light pulled off.

Second accident was when a trailer put eyes in my eyes a d I was about dodging it I saw myself in a bush. That is to God the car has brake.

So when I see car's coming towards me I stopped till they pass before I moved.

The last accident was at a checking point in Ahoda LGA.

I didn't know it was a checking point and that a car was in my front. I ran into the car and the front bumber broke.

Thank God the car owner I hit was understanding

137 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:28am On Jul 17, 2022
I NEED TIPS ON HOW TO MAINTAIN THE CAR.

Please Corolla users give me TIPS. The dos and donts of the car.

I have finally arrived PH with the car I went to Lagos to buy.

TheI car and I are in good shape.
Though I'm just recovering from body pains.

This is my first time driving a car that long.

223 Likes 14 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by poiZon: 3:54am On Jul 17, 2022
R u okay comrade?

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:10pm On Jul 17, 2022
poiZon:
R u okay comrade?
Thread has been updated

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:10pm On Jul 17, 2022
It was a sweetbitter experience

90 Likes

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:15pm On Jul 17, 2022
Where are those who said I will be scammed?

Though I have spent close to N4.1m in this journey.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 3:25pm On Jul 17, 2022
Stallionhorse

5 Likes

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by Afonja2: 3:42pm On Jul 17, 2022
I enjoy your story. You are a rugged man. Can't try what you did. You be man. Well done bro and enjoy your ride...

446 Likes 19 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by poiZon: 3:49pm On Jul 17, 2022
AbelAbdul:
Where are those who said I will be scammed?

Though I have spent close to N4.1m in this journey.
Congrats bro..

I will get here soon.
Though i never get work but am optimistic this year go bring hooge things for me..

114 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by abobote: 3:53pm On Jul 17, 2022
Congrats man.
You don see Lagos finish.

We fill fulfill when achieve something we have longed for, for a while.
Though you took a big risk by driving yourself as inexperienced driver, and considering your sight issue, but thank God, you arrived safely.
We wouldn't mind to see the picture of the ride as well

Enjoy your ride in peace

97 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by Fkmodhi: 3:54pm On Jul 17, 2022
Congratulations man it won’t be your coffin,buh can you drop pictures of the eagle once again congratulations and stay safe

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by Plus10(m): 4:17pm On Jul 17, 2022
Congratulations OP,you for upload picture of the car nah,atleast to complement your story.

6 Likes

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by AbelAbdul: 4:20pm On Jul 17, 2022
poiZon:

Congrats bro..

I will get here soon.
Though i never get work but am optimistic this year go bring hooge things for me..
Thank you. I wish you best
care4you:
Your compound says alot about you....

.... this one na correct mugu...
All I see in your post is a mere jealousy. As for the pictures of the car, that place is not PH. That is a village in Ogoni land. I went for a friend's wedding there so I took pictures of the car. I live in PHC an environment cleaner than Lekki.

126 Likes 13 Shares

Re: I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car by PharoahIII: 5:01pm On Jul 17, 2022
This guy get mind oh, even some of us wen don dey drive for years no fit take that risk. Was it cost effective? Probably not, imo. Was it adventurous? Hell, yes it was. But as some people say we only live once. Just remember to dey service you car regularly.

159 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

David Baka Designs Logo For Innoson Vehicles, Nigerians React / I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? / Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.