Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,736 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help (8651 Views)

I Really Need A Laptop, Somebody Please Hear Me Out. / Please Somebody Help. Some Of My Laptop Keys Are Not Working / I Damaged My System Doing A Disk Cleanup. Somebody Help Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by samwriter: 6:54pm On Sep 12, 2021
Everything about laptop is confusing me even google add to my confusion. I cant differentiate between regular laptop and gaming laptop.I went to google to know the diffrent. I saw core i7 and core i5 is better than core i3 but why is core i3 costly than some core i7 and core i5 and why is some core i7 and i5 has the same dual core with i3 and why is some core i3 can play more demanding game than core i7 and i5. i thought core i5 and i7 should be better than core i3 in everything but why is it not like that.

How do i know flagship and midrange laptop?

Can core 2 laptop when add with dedicated graphic card play demanding game and out perform core i7?

How do i know a gaming laptop?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 7:32pm On Sep 12, 2021
samwriter:
Everything about laptop is confusing me even google add to my confusion. I cant differentiate between regular laptop and gaming laptop.I went to google to know the diffrent. I saw core i7 and core i5 is better than core i3 but why is core i3 costly than some core i7 and core i5 and why is some core i7 and i5 has the same dual core with i3 and why is some core i3 can play more demanding game than core i7 and i5. i thought core i5 and i7 should be better than core i3 in everything but why is it not like that.

Can core 2 laptop when add with dedicated graphic card play demanding game and out perform core i7?

I ready explain sha...but wetin you go dash me in return grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by samwriter: 7:36pm On Sep 12, 2021
atheistandproud:

I ready explain sha...but wetin you go dash me in return grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
I go dash you that buhari trouser may him wear come imo. I hope the trouser go size you shall grin grin grin grin grin abeg put me through bro

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by possibilita(m): 7:40pm On Sep 12, 2021
Core alone doesn't determine a laptop.
You have to consider the type or drive (HDD or ssd).
The ram
Processor speed
Keyboard light
Touchscreen
Finger print
Dedicated graphics

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by The5DME(m): 7:46pm On Sep 12, 2021
It's complicated sha.
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by chariisGRACE(m): 7:47pm On Sep 12, 2021
Make I mount here first. I go sha learn.

6 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by samwriter: 7:48pm On Sep 12, 2021
The5DME:
It's complicated sha.
please explain.
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by ProfGday(m): 7:50pm On Sep 12, 2021
possibilita:
Core alone doesn't determine a laptop.
You have to consider the type or drive (HDD or ssd).
The ram
Processor speed
Keyboard light
Touchscreen
Finger print
Dedicated graphics

Also,

The generation matters ...

You can't compare 7th generation laptops that's cori3 with 4th generation cori7... because the 7th generation is superior in functionability to 4th generation with cor or no cor bullshitt... Is that clear?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by The5DME(m): 7:52pm On Sep 12, 2021
See why we say people should study computer science?
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Benjaniblinks(m): 7:55pm On Sep 12, 2021
samwriter:

First of all, you need to know about the CPU generation. To get a clear view.
Compare the i3, i5, i7, first generation CPUs.
Also read about CPU code names. Like meaning of HQ, MQ, U, K etc.
You will get a clear understanding about this.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 8:04pm On Sep 12, 2021
samwriter:
I go dash you that buhari trouser may him wear come imo. I hope the trouser go size you shall grin grin grin grin grin abeg put me through bro

Alright.

General overview.

Desktop/laptop PCs run on x86-64. It's a type CPU design. The better the design, the more powerful the CPU.

The two main CPU makers for PC are Intel and AMD. Every PC you see uses a CPU from one of these two.

I'll start with Intel but wait, my rice dey burn.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 8:15pm On Sep 12, 2021
Oya ayam back...

Intel CPUs are widely used on many desktops.

So when we classify tech generally, you have

1. Entry level (the cheapest of the cheap). This level has very low specs and very low performance. Them dey useless for anything that is more serious than typing or watching film.

2. Midrange/performance level. This level is the standard level. It balances decent performance with pricing. It is not cheap, but it is also not too expensive. At least, you no need cut your liver to buy one.

3. High end/Flagship. This level has the best CPUs. The very very best. The most powerful and also the most expensive. To buy these ones, omo you need tight belt reach end.

So now that we're done, let's look at Intel's CPUs

Entry level

Intel Celeron
Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel Pentium

Midrange
Intel Core i3

Performance/Upper midrange
Intel Core i5

Flagship
Intel Core i7
Intel Core i9 Extreme

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Exumal: 8:23pm On Sep 12, 2021
atheistandproud:
Oya ayam back...

Intel CPUs are widely used on many desktops.

So when we classify tech generally, you have

1. Entry level (the cheapest of the cheap). This level has very low specs and very low performance. Them dey useless for anything that is more serious than typing or watching film.

2. Midrange/performance level. This level is the standard level. It balances decent performance with pricing. It is not cheap, but it is also not too expensive. At least, you no need cut your liver to buy one.

3. High end/Flagship. This level has the best CPUs. The very very best. The most powerful and also the most expensive. To buy these ones, omo you need tight belt reach end.

So now that we're done, let's look at Intel's CPUs

Entry level

Intel Celeron
Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel Pentium

Midrange
Intel Core i3

Performance/Upper midrange
Intel Core i5

Flagship
Intel Core i7
Intel Core i9 Extreme

I thought some duo core were once flagships before? Oga atheistproud, at least call us make we come join you for the rice nau.

5 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 8:23pm On Sep 12, 2021
The next one na AMD. I'm not very well versed with AMD processors sha but I like the Ryzen series a lot.

On AMD we have..

Entry level
Ryzen 3
Ryzen 3 Pro

Midrange
Ryzen 5
Ryzen 5 Pro

Performance
Ryzen 7
Ryzen 7 Pro

Flagship
Ryzen 9
Ryzen 9 Pro
Ryzen Threadripper

The CPU for the playstation 5 is an AMD CPU. No ask me which one.

2 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 8:25pm On Sep 12, 2021
Exumal:

I thought some duo core were once flagships before? Oga atheistproud, at least call us make welcome join you for the rice nau.

Omo now they will frustrate you.

I have one. Na dey Sidon my back in my YT videos. Na television na e be angry
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Exumal: 8:28pm On Sep 12, 2021
atheistandproud:

Omo now they will frustrate you.

I have one. Na dey Sidon my back in my YT videos. Na television na e be angry

It depends sha, my lenovo t400 plays PES 2013 smoothly. Though clocked at 2.4ghz and has two GPUs; Intel and AMD.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 8:30pm On Sep 12, 2021
Exumal:

It depends sha, my lenovo t400 plays PES 2013 smoothly. Though clocked at 2.4ghz and has two GPUs; Intel and AMD.

True. Omo na 2 sockets your own get ?; shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Exumal: 8:34pm On Sep 12, 2021
atheistandproud:

True. Omo na 2 sockets your own get; shocked shocked shocked

Thank God my young is a computer engineer. I learnt alot from him. Imagine driving a single laptop with two different graphics drivers. Another funny thing is, Windows 8 couldn't recognize the AMD GPU. It's either Lenovo or Lenovo again, theyake performance laptop at affordable price, though with ugly body.

6 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Exumal: 8:38pm On Sep 12, 2021
Taking it further from where Oga atheistproud paused, the Random Access Memory type and size play a big role too. You know RAM stores temporary data for the CPU to process. So if the RAM is not big enough(size) as well as not fast (type;ddr3/ddr4) it will slow down your laptop; or we rather say the small sized rams and slower ones are placed in low end laptops.

8 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 8:40pm On Sep 12, 2021
Exumal:

Thank God my young is a computer engineer. I learnt alot from him. Imagine driving a single laptop with two different graphics drivers. Another funny thing is, Windows 8 couldn't recognize the AMD GPU. It's either Lenovo or Lenovo again, theyake performance laptop at affordable price, though with ugly body.

Wow.
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Exumal: 8:42pm On Sep 12, 2021
atheistandproud:

Wow.

Can I continue from here sir?
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 8:50pm On Sep 12, 2021
In continuation from where Exumal stopped...

The CPUs have different years of release. These all have different CPU build architecture so they all perform different. The newer than CPU, the better.

On Intel, they are called generations. You have generation 1 to 12 (*updated)

On AMD, they are known as series. You have series 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000.

Now if you remember the list I earlier mentioned, the generations or series are more important than the brand names. Take note!!!

A Core i3 10th generation CPU go beat a Core i7 first generation.

An AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 5000 series is better than an AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 1000 series.

Some of these people that sell PCs are crooks. They'll tell you the name of the CPU but won't put the generation. Always ask for the generation.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 8:50pm On Sep 12, 2021
Exumal:

Can I continue from here sir?

Yes oh. Please.
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by chariisGRACE(m): 9:01pm On Sep 12, 2021
Exumal:

I thought some duo core were once flagships before? Oga atheistproud, at least call us make welcome join you for the rice nau.

Just like a Samsung S6 was once a flagship.

Boss, tech no dey stand one place... Always in motion.

3 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Exumal: 9:03pm On Sep 12, 2021
atheistandproud:

Yes oh. Please.

Thanks sir,
Below are some of the hardware and software you use in judging system's performance;

CPU....Oga atheistproud is thrashing that one
GPU....
RAM....He will talk more on it
Storage type....(SSD/HDD/SATA)
Cooling system
OS...(comparability and update)
Power consumption......(though OS, CPU and GPU does that)
Availability of Drivers
Sound system (especially for gamers)
Extra hardware functions (fingerprint, wifi, webcam,body works, )

5 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by chariisGRACE(m): 9:03pm On Sep 12, 2021
atheistandproud:
In continuation from where Exumal stopped...

The CPUs have different years of release. These all have different CPU build architecture so they all perform different. The newer than CPU, the better.

On Intel, they are called generations. You have generation 1 to 10 (I think).

On AMD, they are known as series. You have series 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000.

Now if you remember the list I earlier mentioned, the generations or series are more important than the brand names. Take note!!!

A Core i3 10th generation CPU go beat a Core i7 first generation.

An AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 5000 series is better than an AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 1000 series.

Some of these people that sell PCs are crooks. They'll tell you the name of the CPU but won't put the generation. Always ask for the generation.

How person fit know the generations by themselves.

1 Like

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Exumal: 9:05pm On Sep 12, 2021
chariisGRACE:

Just like a Samsung S6 was once a flagship.

Boss, tech no dey stand one place... Always in motion.

Very true sir, but some flagships with better engines won't get outdated easily. Snapdragon 845-865, will surely beat most latest upper mindrange in vogue.
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 9:08pm On Sep 12, 2021
chariisGRACE:

This should help you out my gee.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 9:09pm On Sep 12, 2021
chariisGRACE:

The first number after the i7 describes the generation

12 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by nerdfrost(m): 10:21pm On Sep 12, 2021
Ask the gurus...me I no too sabi

meanwhile pi is here to stay,make una begin dey mine pi as e still free like this oo....check my signature for more info grin

1 Like

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by MikeMicheal(m): 10:47pm On Sep 12, 2021
Forget about specs!

Just ask the seller.
..Oga this is good gaming laptop abi?

He will tell you.
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by bmdmix11: 12:27am On Sep 13, 2021
The5DME:
See why we say people should study computer science?
u wen study am explain am

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Get Direct UK Used Apple Macbook With Windows Installed / Can't Find Run On My Start Menu Again / How To Delete Virus By Using Avast Antivirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.