Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,661 members, 7,823,876 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help (8660 Views)

I Really Need A Laptop, Somebody Please Hear Me Out. / Please Somebody Help. Some Of My Laptop Keys Are Not Working / I Damaged My System Doing A Disk Cleanup. Somebody Help Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by majesticguy: 1:10am On Sep 13, 2021
MikeMicheal:
Forget about specs!

Just ask the seller.
..Oga this is good gaming laptop abi?

He will tell you.

Mbanu!! Specs really matters, at least, you'd be able to know if the laptop in question is commensurate with what you're paying for.

I've seen were a laptop with a GT 710(1gb) was sold far above it's worth. GT 710 which happens to be one of the worst GPU out there. No be juju be that.

7 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by thepoweruser(m): 4:35am On Sep 13, 2021
Omo the tech gurus have said it all. grin Me nor know wetin I wan add again. Although you suppose ask this kweshun for computer thread @op.

Well anyways, lemme just say that:

Intel CPUs have codenames and nanometres too. E.g. Core i7-10710U. 14nm+ grin Comet Lake; cTDP 15-25W; 6 cores 12 threads; UHD Graphics 620; versus Core i7-9750H. 14nm; Coffee Lake; cTDP 45-55W; 6 cores 12 threads; UHD Graphics 630.

Forget the 'Lakes' and stuff (the Lakes are the uarch and the CPU family). The 10710U is weaker than the 9750H (previous gen) because the jump from Coffee to Comet Lake doesn't have that big a performance jump for the previous year's gaming laptop to get beaten in performance by an ultrabook 2-in-1. The 10th gen supports newer instructions; but who cares?

With Team Red (AMD) though, it's different. Ryzen 5 4500U, Zen2; 6 cores 12 threads; 10-25W cTDP; 7nm; Vega 10 GPU vs Ryzen 7 3750H, Zen+; 4 cores 8 threads; 35W TDP; 12nm; Vega 8 GPU. Believe it or not; here 'H' is worse than 'U'.

AMD fans better thank God for the rain, the sun, silicon, TSMC and Dr. Lisa Su. Because without her, AMD would have been long dead.

If you ain't an enthusiast (or a power user cool ) just nor stress yahsef and use benchmarks.

My two cents, though.

7 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by STINOS(m): 6:58am On Sep 13, 2021
atheistandproud:

The first number after the i7 describes the generation
ok which generation is this Intel core i7 10546.
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Tomahawk99(m): 7:30am On Sep 13, 2021
The5DME:
See why we say people should study computer science?
You can know all these and more without studying computer science.

4 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 7:34am On Sep 13, 2021
STINOS:
ok which generation is this Intel core i7 10546.

10th gen
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by The5DME(m): 7:47am On Sep 13, 2021
Tomahawk99:

I know though. Was jus trying to be sarcastic.
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by TheOldGods: 8:54am On Sep 13, 2021
samwriter:
Everything about laptop is confusing me even google add to my confusion. I cant differentiate between regular laptop and gaming laptop.I went to google to know the diffrent. I saw core i7 and core i5 is better than core i3 but why is core i3 costly than some core i7 and core i5 and why is some core i7 and i5 has the same dual core with i3 and why is some core i3 can play more demanding game than core i7 and i5. i thought core i5 and i7 should be better than core i3 in everything but why is it not like that.

How do i know flagship and midrange laptop?

Can core 2 laptop when add with dedicated graphic card play demanding game and out perform core i7?

How do i know a gaming laptop?

I read all the comments, however, nobody really defined this properly, so I will do so.

In Intel, there are generations and also Amd. Now let do simple counting.

Let us count from 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Now according to this, 1 is the smallest number right? Followed by two, three 4 all the way to 10. Now let say I buy core i3 that is no more 5. Let make up a name and call it Corei3 5100U.
Then your friend buys core i7. Which should be better than core i5 because you must count 6 before you get to it. Then your friend is a novice and got core i7 1001U which is the first number in the corei7. Can you see you're now 4 numbers ahead of him, you're definitely faster. So in CPU, you should focus more on the generations and not the core etc. the i there means nothing. Core i3 of number 10. Let's say core i3 10110U will beat a core i7 8th number, because the core i3 is 2 numbers ahead. So if you have a core i3 and your friend has core i7 with 8gen, then he won't brag because you have a stronger CPU.

Now more factors to consider when buying a CPU.
Ram: this days we use DDR4 rams, DDR3 are outdated and outlived their usefulness, but still they are not bad. Don't just buy ram because you heard it's ddr4. In rams there are numbers as well. If you buy ddr4 1600mhz speed you can't beat a person with 3200mhz speed. You need to check the speed at which the rams write.

Now graphics card is what handles the gaming, you can have a low end CPU but good graphics card, although it will bottleneck the GPU, but you can game.

If you want a CPU for multitasking then go with AMD those guys are beast. If you need a single core performance, then go with Intel.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by hothuntee(m): 10:05am On Sep 13, 2021
atheistandproud:

This should help you out my gee.

Make me too add from here...

For Intel, u-line processors are single speed and power conserving. H-lines are variable speed and can be over-clocked in turbo... But power consuming. Two I7, U and H with 2.3 ghz, the H may get to 5ghz while the U may occasionally get to base speed.

Another trick Intel buyers should know... A 1 or 2 core with 16 threads i7 is inferior to an 8 core with 16 threads i7. They both will read 16 CPU but nah.... One is God mode to the other.... Ask Apple MacBook Pro. It's either 4,6 or 8core before the threads

For AMD, there is generosity with cores because of competition with Intel hence better performance in recent releases. However, the U versions follows the same trend with Intel. The S and X version are the variable speeds.

So don't compare a spectre to an alienware.. one is giving you performance in cosmetics while the other is giving you a power hungry, boundless performance.

I am currently using my first H-series Intel on MSI Katana. 11800H paired with a RTX 3050 Ti .

Contact if you need a CFD or FEA analysis... I am your plug.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by thepoweruser(m): 10:19am On Sep 13, 2021
TheOldGods:

I read all the comments, however, nobody really defined this properly, so I will do so.

Let us count from 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Now according to this, 1 is the smallest number right? Followed by two, three 4 all the way to 10. Now let say I buy core i3 that is no more 5. Let make up a name and call it Corei3 5100U.
Then your friend buys core i7. Which should be better than core i5 because you must count 6 before you get to it. Then your friend is a novice and got core i7 1001U which is the first number in the corei7. Can you see you're now 4 numbers ahead of him, you're definitely faster. So in CPU, you should focus more on the generations and not the core etc. the i there means nothing. Core i3 of number 10. Let's say core i3 10110U will beat a core i7 8th number, because the core i3 is 2 numbers ahead. So if you have a core i3 and your friend has core i7 with 8gen, then he won't brag because you have a stronger CPU.

Cough, cough, cough, ahem.

Uh, excuse me; but Intel's CPU lineup is a LOT more than just 8th generation 10th generation.

Believe it or not, a Core i9-11980HK, the latest, top-drawer enthusiast laptop CPU (11th generation; Tiger Lake-H, 10nm ESF, 8c/16t) is no match for a Xeon W-2175 (6th generation; Cascade Lake-SP, 14nm+, 14 cores/28 threads.)

Okay, I'll be more fair. Core i7-8750H will still kill i3-10310U.

Now more factors to consider when buying a CPU.
Ram: this days we use DDR4 rams, DDR3 are outdated and outlived their usefulness, but still they are not bad. Don't just buy ram because you heard it's ddr4. In rams there are numbers as well. If you buy ddr4 1600mhz speed you can't beat a person with 3200mhz speed. You need to check the speed at which the rams write.

True, but me I'mma pick TWO 8GB + 8GB DDR4 1600MHz over ONE 16GB DDR4-3200MHz.

Now graphics card is what handles the gaming, you can have a low end CPU but good graphics card, although it will bottleneck the GPU, but you can game.

You know what some gamers do? They'll buy a Core i5-9500 and an RTX 3070 and bam! They're getting rock-steady 120fps in GTA V.

If you want a CPU for multitasking then go with AMD those guys are beast. If you need a single core performance, then go with Intel.

AMD is the current single AND multicore champ. Have you seen AMD's TRULY EPYC (¡) 7742 Hexatetradeca-core grin grin grin (64-CORE 128-THREAD) shocked shocked ROME CPU??

PS: DDR5 RAM and PCIe 5.0 is coming with Alder Lake! (12th generation)

PPS: YOU WANT THE BIGGEST JUMP IN YOUR LAPTOP/DESKTOP APP LAUNCH SPEED AND SYSTEM LAUNCH FLUENCY? UPGRADE THAT DAMNED HDD TO A BRAND NEW SSD!

9 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by lowkeybahdguy(m): 10:38am On Sep 13, 2021
I have learnt a lot from this thread

1 Like

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by thepoweruser(m): 10:40am On Sep 13, 2021
hothuntee:

Make me too add from here...

For Intel, u-line processors are single speed and power conserving. H-lines are variable speed and can be over-clocked in turbo... But power consuming. Two I7, U and H with 2.3 ghz, the H may get to 5ghz while the U may occasionally get to base speed.

Another trick Intel buyers should know... A 1 or 2 core with 16 threads i7 is inferior to an 8 core with 16 threads i7. They both will read 16 CPU but nah.... One is God mode to the other.... Ask Apple MacBook Pro. It's either 4,6 or 8core before the threads

For AMD, there is generosity with cores because of competition with Intel hence better performance in recent releases. However, the U versions follows the same trend with Intel. The S and X version are the variable speeds.

So don't compare a spectre to an alienware.. one is giving you performance in cosmetics while the other is giving you a power hungry, boundless performance.

I am currently using my first H-series Intel on MSI Katana. 11800H paired with a RTX 3050 Ti .

Contact if you need a CFD or FEA analysis... I am your plug.

For @bolded;

My guy, better go to church this Sunday and give offering, ask God for forgiveness and pray for AMD and Dr. Lisa Su. WERE IT NOT FOR THEM; STUPID INTEL WOULD STILL BE SELLING US QUAD-CORE CORE i9 DESKTOPS AND EX-CEO BOB SWANN WOULD BE GRINNING TO THE BANK.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by constance500: 12:05pm On Sep 13, 2021
samwriter:
Everything about laptop is confusing me even google add to my confusion. I cant differentiate between regular laptop and gaming laptop.I went to google to know the diffrent. I saw core i7 and core i5 is better than core i3 but why is core i3 costly than some core i7 and core i5 and why is some core i7 and i5 has the same dual core with i3 and why is some core i3 can play more demanding game than core i7 and i5. i thought core i5 and i7 should be better than core i3 in everything but why is it not like that.

How do i know flagship and midrange laptop?

Can core 2 laptop when add with dedicated graphic card play demanding game and out perform core i7?

How do i know a gaming laptop?

I wish I could start explaining to you but it's complicated... There are some gaming system that looks like an average laptop and their are rugged ones mainly built for games and can do the minimum work an average pc does..e just dey complicated

I use a pentium R desktop for gaming and its superb..
Optimization also matters
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 1:01pm On Sep 13, 2021
thepoweruser:

For @bolded;

My guy, better go to church this Sunday and give offering, ask God for forgiveness and pray for AMD and Dr. Lisa Su. WERE IT NOT FOR THEM; STUPID INTEL WOULD STILL BE SELLING US QUAD-CORE CORE i9 DESKTOPS AND EX-CEO BOB SWANN WOULD BE GRINNING TO THE BANK.

The way Xiaomi don make high specced phones cheap. If not, some people for dey sell us trash-ion say na phone.

3 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by thepoweruser(m): 1:28pm On Sep 13, 2021
atheistandproud:

The way Xiaomi don make high specced phones cheap. If not, some people for dey sell us trash-ion say na phone.

Life is good.

God is good.

And competition is good.

That's why AMD FidelityFX came after Nvidia DLSS (and I personally think it is better than DLSS, because it runs ANYWHERE; even on Nvidia GPUs!) And of course, AMD's TressFX is WAY BETTER than Nvidia's Hairworks.

Competition is good, 'mano.

4 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by KrazyDave16(m): 1:59pm On Sep 13, 2021
Now THIS is how a friggin tech thread should be, not the "my crappy points are right me or f*** off" threads

5 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by KrazyDave16(m): 2:02pm On Sep 13, 2021
atheistandproud:

Same way them and some brands under BBK electronics humbled Samsung in the Indian markets or how Jio is dominating instead of Airtel.

But here we like to suffer even when solution dey.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by THUNDAR(m): 3:06pm On Sep 13, 2021
Tomahawk99:

I studied computer science but I don't know all of these. I only know the needed, the rest boring details put me to sleep
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by dasanchez1(m): 4:58pm On Sep 13, 2021
thepoweruser:

For @bolded;

what do you have to say on Amd Ryzen 7 4700U system compared to Core i5 1135G7?
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by thepoweruser(m): 5:11pm On Sep 13, 2021
dasanchez1:
what do you have to say on Amd Ryzen 7 4700U system compared to Core i5 1135G7?

Good question.

Simple answer.

CPU: Ryzen.

GPU: Ryzen again.

Efficiency: Intel.

Price: Guess which.

tongue

Modified: Why did I say Ryzen for GPU? Simple. The Vega 10 on a full gaming ultrabook (e.g. Dell G7 series AMD) will certainly beat a 2-in-1 (Dell XPS 13).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by thepoweruser(m): 5:21pm On Sep 13, 2021
THUNDAR:

I studied computer science but I don't know all of these. I only know the needed, the rest boring details put me to sleep

Don't beat yourself up, my man.

A lot of Ph.D holders in computer engineering in Nigeria can't even explain what a CPU cache does.

You try and explain to them why a tri-core Adreno 650 is better than an 11-core Mali-G77 and they all start whoopsing and roaring that ''I am old enough to be your father'' and ''I dey study this in university for my Masters when you still dey baff outside''. :rollseyes:

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Suremikky(m): 5:32pm On Sep 13, 2021
Exumal:

It depends sha, my lenovo t400 plays PES 2013 smoothly. Though clocked at 2.4ghz and has two GPUs; Intel and AMD.

Mtchew..PES 2013 na game
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by dasanchez1(m): 5:34pm On Sep 13, 2021
thepoweruser:

Good question.

Simple answer.

CPU: Ryzen.

GPU: Ryzen again.

Efficiency: Intel.

Price: Guess which.

tongue

Modified: Why did I say Ryzen for GPU? Simple. The Vega 10 on a full gaming ultrabook (e.g. Dell G7 series AMD) will certainly beat a 2-in-1 (Dell XPS 13).
price is AMD too.
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Tomahawk99(m): 5:41pm On Sep 13, 2021
THUNDAR:

Then you weren't paying attention in school.

1 Like

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by bigcee(m): 6:47pm On Sep 13, 2021
thepoweruser:
Boss, can you pls recommend a decent laptop of 100-150k. Thanks
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by thepoweruser(m): 8:37pm On Sep 13, 2021
bigcee:

Boss, can you pls recommend a decent laptop of 100-150k. Thanks

I'm gonna assume you're an average user, and by that I mean you just want to browse desktop web pages, watch pirated Netnaija shows grin, play PES 2020 at 30FPS Low to Medium, and maybe do school work and light MS Office workflows and maybe a little graphic design.

I assume this because my guy if you wan buy one of dose new gaming ultrabook laptop (e.g. Acer Nitro 5) you go find at least iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB 'tear rubber' money o. grin

So based on my assumptions, I would recommend a second-hand (aka UK used) HP ProBook 450 G4. Decent WXGA+? (768x1336) display, good performance (Core i5-7500U), manageable RAM (4GB, but LPDDR3? Sheesh). Too bad it has an HDD. Storage is a lot though, 500GB SATA HDD.

If you find am, grab am. Some SKUs even come with dedicated graphics! (Nvidia 930MX GPU, great for PES 2021 Medium at 30-40FPS! Remember, the display is low res, so why not?)

Good luck, bro.

PS: Me dey wait for Meteor Lake gaming laptop and RTX 4080 Mobile GPU! 2023, 2nd HALF!! cry cry SAPA, YOU'RE A SON OF A BITCH! angry angry

2 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by atheistandproud(m): 8:55pm On Sep 13, 2021
thepoweruser:

Don't beat yourself up, my man.

A lot of Ph.D holders in computer engineering in Nigeria can't even explain what a CPU cache does.

You try and explain to them why a tri-core Adreno 650 is better than an 11-core Mali-G77 and they all start whoopsing and roaring that ''I am old enough to be your father'' and ''I dey study this in university for my Masters when you still dey baff outside''. :rollseyes:

I wan die oh

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by THUNDAR(m): 9:29pm On Sep 13, 2021
Tomahawk99:

Then you weren't paying attention in school.
Did you read computer Science in a Nigeria college? If yes, you are lying if no, you don't know what you are talking about.
The things they teach in these school are first outdated and secondly have people who themselves have no expository knowledge of what they are teaching to lecture. I don't want to talk more. You can only get the paper and then develope yourself

2 Likes

Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Youngsage: 9:38pm On Sep 13, 2021
thepoweruser:

Cough, cough, cough, ahem.

Uh, excuse me; but Intel's CPU lineup is a LOT more than just 8th generation 10th generation.

Believe it or not, a Core i9-11980HK, the latest, top-drawer enthusiast laptop CPU (11th generation; Tiger Lake-H, 10nm ESF, 8c/16t) is no match for a Xeon W-2175 (6th generation; Cascade Lake-SP, 14nm+, 14 cores/28 threads.)

Okay, I'll be more fair. Core i7-8750H will still kill i3-10310U.

True, but me I'mma pick TWO 8GB + 8GB DDR4 1600MHz over ONE 16GB DDR4-3200MHz.

You know what some gamers do? They'll buy a Core i5-9500 and an RTX 3070 and bam! They're getting rock-steady 120fps in GTA V.

AMD is the current single AND multicore champ. Have you seen AMD's TRULY EPYC (¡) 7742 Hexatetradeca-core grin grin grin (64-CORE 128-THREAD) shocked shocked ROME CPU??

PS: DDR5 RAM and PCIe 5.0 is coming with Alder Lake! (12th generation)

PPS: YOU WANT THE BIGGEST JUMP IN YOUR LAPTOP/DESKTOP APP LAUNCH SPEED AND SYSTEM LAUNCH FLUENCY? UPGRADE THAT DAMNED HDD TO A BRAND NEW SSD!

Well said.

Re: your last paragraph, you mean any laptop HDD can be replaced with any SSD right, without risking compatibility issues?

I've actually been considering the idea of getting a 1TB SSD and replacing my laptop 640 HDD.
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by majesticguy: 9:57pm On Sep 13, 2021
thepoweruser:

I'm gonna assume you're an average user, and by that I mean you just want to browse desktop web pages, watch pirated Netnaija shows grin, play PES 2020 at 30FPS Low to Medium, and maybe do school work and light MS Office workflows and maybe a little graphic design.

I assume this because my guy if you wan buy one of dose new gaming ultrabook laptop (e.g. Acer Nitro 5) you go find at least iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB 'tear rubber' money o. grin

So based on my assumptions, I would recommend a second-hand (aka UK used) HP ProBook 450 G4. Decent WXGA+? (768x1336) display, good performance (Core i5-7500U), manageable RAM (4GB, but LPDDR3? Sheesh). Too bad it has an HDD. Storage is a lot though, 500GB SATA HDD.

If you find am, grab am. Some SKUs even come with dedicated graphics! (Nvidia 930MX GPU, great for PES 2021 Medium at 30-40FPS! Remember, the display is low res, so why not?)

Good luck, bro.

PS: Me dey wait for Meteor Lake gaming laptop and RTX 4080 Mobile GPU! 2023, 2nd HALF!! cry cry SAPA, YOU'RE A SON OF A BITCH! angry angry

He should better up his budget, because that amount can't get him the aforementioned laptop. The above laptop should be in the range of 200k+. His money can only get him a Nvidia GT 820m.
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Exumal: 10:58pm On Sep 13, 2021
Suremikky:

Mtchew..PES 2013 na game

Na person wey don play am for high resolution go understand. Afterall, my laptop is not a gaming laptop. Just comparing it to the midranges.
Re: My Confusion About Laptop Somebody Help by Exumal: 11:03pm On Sep 13, 2021
majesticguy:

He should better up his budget, because that amount can't get him the aforementioned laptop. The above laptop should be in the range of 200k+. His money can only get him a Nvidia GT 820m.
One quick question sir, why do you think HP is better than Lenovo?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Delete Virus By Using Avast Antivirus / Your Mtn Browsing Experience / Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.