Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:11 PM

Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open (11345 Views)

Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final / Disqualification: Djokovic To Lose Ranking Points, Fined Prize Money / Naomi Osaka Defeats Serena Williams To Win US Open Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by dayoade2007(m): 11:49pm On Sep 12, 2021
Russia's Daniil Medvedev won his first Grand Slam title by shattering Novak Djokovic's hopes of completing a calendar sweep of the majors in a one-sided US Open final.

Second seed Medvedev, 25, lost his two previous Grand Slam finals but was composed throughout a 6-4 6-4 6-4 win.

World number one Djokovic had already won the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon titles this year.

The 34-year-old Serb was also chasing a record 21st Grand Slam men's title.

Victory would have moved him clear of rivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal in the battle to finish with the most men's majors, but it was the potential calendar Grand Slam which Djokovic had said would be the "greatest achievement" of his career.

Perhaps burdened by the weight of history, Djokovic looked subdued throughout as he made a high number of uncharacteristic errors.

He also looked way short of his usual physical capabilities.

To put those factors down as the sole reasons for Medvedev's success would be completely wrong.

The Russian played smartly and confidently, drawing the errors out of his opponent with strong serving and finishing points with precise winners, as he avenged a straight-set defeat by Djokovic in February's Australian Open final.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/58540110

8 Likes

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by ALABACONNECT(m): 1:35am On Sep 13, 2021
Nice

5 Likes

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by Xloclwise: 5:01am On Sep 13, 2021
cool
Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by EdoRabbit(f): 5:01am On Sep 13, 2021
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by OgaTheTop2: 5:02am On Sep 13, 2021
smiley
Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by ossaisly(m): 5:02am On Sep 13, 2021
kiss

1 Like

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by SultanOfAbia: 5:03am On Sep 13, 2021
Djovokvic is the Russian word for Ojukwu

5 Likes

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by Hamzatgodfirst(m): 5:03am On Sep 13, 2021
Okay... sad sad angry sad
Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by Nobody: 5:03am On Sep 13, 2021
If you ask me, id say its a much awaited/deserved win by Medvedev. No Champion forever.

4 Likes

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by Kilishihunter: 5:03am On Sep 13, 2021
Zverev beat him at the Olympics on his way to claiming Olympic gold at Tokyo, now Medvedev has finally defeated him in a final to stop him winning all four slams in a single year, So unlucky for Nole but I'm a lil happy the young guns are already rising up to the challenge of the Big 3

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by greenie77: 5:05am On Sep 13, 2021
Rooted for Novak Djokovic, hoping he could achieve the feat of winning all grand slams in a calendar year.

11 Likes

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by oge4real(f): 5:07am On Sep 13, 2021
Yeaahhh!!!
I was getting bored of the monotony by the "Joker". Even though I love him, I believe the other guys deserve to shine too.

6 Likes

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by Judolisco(m): 5:14am On Sep 13, 2021
Congrats to med... Djokovic had a wonderful year though

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by madjune(m): 5:20am On Sep 13, 2021
Time to retire.

Age is telling on Djokovich.

1 Like

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by seunfly: 5:26am On Sep 13, 2021
I was silently praying for Medvedev to win it.

3 Likes

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by KosiGee(m): 5:29am On Sep 13, 2021
I used to be a Djokovic fan till I started seeing him throwing and smashing his rackets when he is frustrated, hurling tennis balls about nearly causing harm to people around him…

Very sore and bad loser he is..

I’m happy for Daniil, it’s his first grand slam title and he did in style.
Djokovic has done well, 20 grand slam titles, all leading in earnings with about $151million, he only want to surpass Federer and Nadal. He will get there but he has to wait a little longer. He is not getting that 21 on a platter.

…Congrats to Emma Raducanu, 18 years, just finished writing her GCSE, grand slam champion and $2.5m richer.

Nigeria need to invest in sports and it’s youths …not destroying opportunities. Croatia, Poland, Russia, Serbia etc all realised the huge potentials and opportunities in a sport like tennis…they have academies and tennis courts all over and their kids take up the rackets much the same way Nigerian kids show enthusiasm and play football at deserted roads or every available spaces. Provide these facilities to Nigerian youths and see a new orientation in thinking and career pathway.

33 Likes

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by Focusmind: 5:41am On Sep 13, 2021
I am a big fan of Djokavic but wanted the Russian to win. I like siding with the underdogs in sports.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by Kingcalls: 5:45am On Sep 13, 2021
KosiGee:
I used to be a Djokovic fan till I started seeing him throwing and smashing his rackets when he is frustrated, hurling tennis balls about nearly causing harm to people around him…

Very sore and bad loser he is..

I’m happy for Daniil, it’s his first grand slam title and he did in style.
Djokovic has done well, 20 grand slam titles, all leading in earnings with about $151million, he only want to surpass Federer and Nadal. He will get there but he has to wait a little longer. He is not getting that 21 on a platter.

…Congrats to Emma Raducanu, 18 years, just finished writing her GCSE, grand slam champion and $2.5m richer.

Nigeria need to invest in sports and it’s youths …not destroying opportunities. Croatia, Poland, Russia, Serbia etc all realised the huge potentials and opportunities in a sport like tennis…they have academies and tennis courts all over and their kids take up the rackets much the same way Nigerian kids show enthusiasm and play football at deserted roads or every available spaces. Provide these facilities to Nigerian youths and see a new orientation in thinking and career pathway.

He is not a sore or bad looser.... u dont know djokovic ...u just hear the name and probably the day u tuned on to TV and saw him play for the first time, u saw that attitude and then concluded...tho I ain't his fan, he is one of the most humble tennis players I hv ever seen on court

26 Likes

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by akanbiaa(m): 5:49am On Sep 13, 2021
Nice
Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by CondemnBattery(f): 5:52am On Sep 13, 2021
Awesome, though I feel for him, (Djokovic) but I never wanted him to break Federer's record. At least not so soon. Federer is my best tennis player anyway anytime cool

8 Likes

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by Jeezuzpick(m): 6:02am On Sep 13, 2021
Kingcalls:

He is not a sore or bad looser.... u dont know djokovic ...u just hear the name and probably the day u tuned on to TV and saw him play for the first time, u saw that attitude and then concluded...tho I ain't his fan, he is one of the most humble tennis players I hv ever seen on court

And the funniest one.

3 Likes

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by phemmyfour: 6:03am On Sep 13, 2021
Djokovic is not finishing strong this year, first it was the Olympics and now US open. It's just a matter of time, Federer's record will soon be a thing of the past
Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by pahars(m): 6:04am On Sep 13, 2021
Happy for Medvedev, been coming close recently, the younger guys are stepping up now
Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by HitRun(m): 6:06am On Sep 13, 2021
Wicked guy!

He for for jus do let my people go for Djokovic na. He just spoil the 4 grand slam party.
Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by RevolverOcelot(m): 6:08am On Sep 13, 2021
Djokovic and co are slowly getting replaced.
Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by LushGreenz: 6:10am On Sep 13, 2021
I'm a FEDAL fan.
I'm so glad the Russian won lol
Djokovic style is annoying asf - he relies only on rallies, tire out your opponent and tip balls when they least expect it.

Unlike the sublime backhands of Federer,slices, ace serves, finesse cuts etc

And the masterful forehand of Nadal, sportsmanship, returns etc

The only thing I respect about Nole is his tenacity. He can be 2 games down and still come back to beat you.

Kingcalls:

3 Likes

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by whela(m): 6:13am On Sep 13, 2021
The Era of Federer, Nadal and djokovic is coming to an end.
Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by Pearlbaby(m): 6:19am On Sep 13, 2021
Kingcalls:

Are you being real or Sarcastic?? The Djokovic I know is quite arrogant and most often exhibits unsportsmanlike attitude.

5 Likes

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by Dunamai86(m): 6:21am On Sep 13, 2021
Finally, Medvedev comes of age. I m so happy for him. The talent has always been there.

1 Like

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by Taiwojon(m): 6:23am On Sep 13, 2021
Omo

Djokovic again.
The man should go and retire.

Meanwhile
Man power will fail but God power through Jesus Christ cannot fail, because all power is given to Christ Jesus and he lives forever more.

So cast in your care to Jesus and Repent from your sins, for he pardon you.

Jesus saves

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open by KosiGee(m): 6:26am On Sep 13, 2021
Kingcalls:

I’ve followed his career as a boy. I watched him best my favourite at the time Wilfried Tsonga to lift his first grand slam at Australia in 2008.
His talent and meteoric rise isn’t in doubt but he remains a sore loser. His speeches when given the mic won’t camouflage that.

He is a nice person, funny with an great photo personality but Djokovic remains a bad loser…in my opinion and I hope they continue dishing the fines on him everything he destroys objects in the court or endanger and put others at risk of harm.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open / How To Make 100k Profit Monthly From Sports Betting Through Strategic Staking / Aubameyang Left Out Of Arsenal's Mid-Season Trip To Dubai, Left In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.