Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,734 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians - Celebrities (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians (22871 Views)

Beyonce Pays Tribute To Fela Kuti,performs His 1976 "Zombie" At Coachella(video) / Ugandan Singer Begs Wizkid To Impregnate Her, Says "My Womb Is Ready" / "Don't Compare Wizkid With Fela" - Sound Sultan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by Prechboy(m): 8:05pm On Sep 13, 2021
theInterpreter:
lol
okay

I guess dababy or lil dicky are better than burnaboy since they are more popular

you guys no dey think

do you know Fela did all his songs on stage?
dababy and Lil duck are not more popular than Burnaboy. Maybe in America and the UK but life doesn't end in those places.

Burna boy is also quite popular in the USA, and very popular in the UK and Africa as a whole.
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by theInterpreter: 8:10pm On Sep 13, 2021
Prechboy:
dababy and Lil duck are not more popular than Burnaboy. Maybe in America and the UK but life doesn't end in those places.

Burna boy is also quite popular in the USA, and very popular in the UK and Africa as a whole.
they are more popular

stop decieving yourself

check out their streams and YouTube

even though all they sing is nigga nigga nigga

popularity is not equal to good

keep that in your head
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by theInterpreter: 8:13pm On Sep 13, 2021
HeadNigga:
you are talking about message not charts yet you are talking about Fela making Nigerian music popular. Lol. "POPULAR" songs top the charts, not necessarily songs with "MESSAGE".

Be coherent, stop confusing yourself.
lol

I just cancelled out your point that Wizkid made Nigerian music popular

is dababy better than burnaboy?

since he gets more streams and YouTube views?
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by HeadNigga: 8:18pm On Sep 13, 2021
theInterpreter:
lol

I just cancelled out your point that Wizkid made Nigerian music popular

is dababy better than burnaboy?

since he gets more streams and YouTube views?
the keyword in that my post was "MAJORLY"

I respect your views though. I no dey reply more than three mentions from one guy. Lol. Take care
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by Awoo88: 8:20pm On Sep 13, 2021
Indomi generation dey deliberately no won get sense. Some of them think the world started with them
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by woleaca: 8:23pm On Sep 13, 2021
No reason for comparison at all, Fela created Afro beat, Wizkid and others keeps the flag of Afro beat flying (let’s put aside lyrics). Wizkid continues the glory of Fela just like father and son. Every father wants his son to achieve what he could not achieve.I am sure Fela will be happy in his grave about the likes of Wizkid, Burnaboy and others
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by deebrownneymar: 8:28pm On Sep 13, 2021
No body should be compared to the great Fela
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by NamelessOGBENI(m): 8:40pm On Sep 13, 2021
They are different from the word get go. It's like comparing Brymo to Koker.
Apologies, Chocolate City.

That's outright disrespectful.
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by Blakpot: 8:41pm On Sep 13, 2021
Lol this one go pain Starboy fans...
No disrespect to Wizkid but his music and Fela's music no dey the same planet.

Fela was a composer, multi instrumentalist who developed his own genre with a mixture of jazz, Juju music, highlife and funk.

Not to talk of his social n political activism during the military regime.
The man was larger than life.

Wizkid on the other hand is an internationally recognized pop musician.

Without Fela, Wizkid's music wouldn't exist.
Simples!

Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by Kay25(m): 8:48pm On Sep 13, 2021
HeadNigga:
Baseless talk.

People only rate Fela higher coz he is late. People respect the dead more.

Quoting Rick Ross "Niggaz only respect niggaz that's dead or niggaz in prison"

If you doubt the quote, tell me how many living peoples' face are on currencies. Na only dead people dey currency notes.

Nelson Mandela earned his respect for going to prison. Some of our former presidents have been in prison.

shut the Bleep where were u when fela was the talk if town while alive...bet me 10 years time no one would talk of ur wiz kid again even bein alive..
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by BalogunIdowu(m): 9:29pm On Sep 13, 2021
Polymerization:

https://loadedpulse.com/dont-ever-compare-wizkid-to-fela-woli-arole-warns-after-knowing-fela-is-being-studied/

How does 'do you know fela?' related to meaning him being studied?

Although i get his assertions but all na cruise and PR jare
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by axeman10(m): 9:45pm On Sep 13, 2021
GEEBITE:
So will you compare Micheal Jackson and Jay-z. Whatever WIZKID is doing so far they are all sampling Fela's songs to make hits, they can not lace his shoes.

Did you read my post? I said people should not compare, Wizkid is still work in progress, people should only compare works /legacies when the careers are over (my opinion).

Wizkid is just 30years plus or so, Fela at 30 was not that well known worldwide...He was just discovering himself. I am a massive Fela fan and I speak objectively.

You can't say Wizkid, Burnaboy, Tuface, Seun, Femi Kuti etc can't be greater than Fela. Their careers are not over yet.

Don't we all pray for our kids to be greater than us?
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by fortune1968: 10:17pm On Sep 13, 2021
Nothing but MADNESS will make anybody compare Fela with Whiz kid or whatever .
Fela is an institution !
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by nijanigga: 10:26pm On Sep 13, 2021
When fela was singing, they killed my mama ,he was almost weeping. He was brutalized in jail,go look at the the pic of horse whips marks on his back . They burnt his anus with cigarette light .
All these banana generation will melt if they suffer 0.005% of fela endured
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by nijanigga: 10:28pm On Sep 13, 2021
axeman10:

Did you read my post? I said people should not compare, Wizkid is still work in progress, people should only compare works /legacies when the careers are over (my opinion).

Wizkid is just 30years plus or so, Fela at 30 was not that well known worldwide...He was just discovering himself. I am a massive Fela fan and I speak objectively.

You can't say Wizkid, Burnaboy, Tuface, Seun, Femi Kuti etc can't be greater than Fela. Their careers are not over yet.

Garbage Go read the history of fela and what kind of student was he in his secondary school and go from there
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by ORIAYO70(m): 10:28pm On Sep 13, 2021
Polymerization:

https://loadedpulse.com/dont-ever-compare-wizkid-to-fela-woli-arole-warns-after-knowing-fela-is-being-studied/

Only dullards will compare that kid with Abami Eda....

Which inspiration Wizkid song dey bring..

Listen to Baba song

Beast of No Nation
Buy Africa
Army Arrangement..

No one or any human could be compared with Black President...

Anikulapo lives
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by ORIAYO70(m): 10:34pm On Sep 13, 2021
Bornsinner7:
Fela was not just a music legend.. he was a man for the people, by the people and with the people..

Fela wasn't doing music for entertainment.. he discovered music to be a weapon used to fight, speak and educate the government and the people..

It's a taboo to put WizKid and fela in the same sentence for comparison..

The only person that came close to seun kuti is Idris aldulkareem.. I think he was the only one with guts to mention names in a song describing the ills of government and their corrupt ways

Wa se orire...

In case u DNT get that it shall be well with u..

Comparing Baba n Wizkid is total madness,
FELA stood in for his people, he champion so many freedom race race, who on Earth can stand up against military govt..

All those comparing them r birthed either late or early 2000, they're nothing but a lad

1 Like

Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by delpee(f): 10:43pm On Sep 13, 2021
There's really no basis of comparison. Wizkid is good no doubt but Fela is a legend!
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by axeman10(m): 11:02pm On Sep 13, 2021
nijanigga:

Garbage Go read the history of fela and what kind of student was he in his secondary school and go from there

Common Kiddo, I don't even listen to wizkid's song, and I can tell you, I have been a massive Fela's fan since 1985.

So I know most of his songs from Koola Lobitos, ever before he started Afrobeat with the likes of the legendary Tony Allen in his band.

I don't speak from sentiments because I am a Fela fan, my joy will be to witness Nigerian musicians greater than the likes of Fela, Osita Osadebey, to witness, novelists greater than China, Achebe, Wole Soyinka etc.
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:22pm On Sep 13, 2021
HeadNigga:
baseless. Being the first to do something doesn't make you the best. Quote me anywhere. You will always get credits for being the first to do it but not necessarily the best.

Alright, what makes someone the best?

I know you will never have an answer to that.

Please, Wizkid is still very young in this field. He has not reached that level at all. Aside getting his voice fine-tuned in the studio, how good is he in the rudiments of music?

Does he understand anything about music arrangement? Aside composing melodies and writing lyrics, what else does he know about music? Can he tell keys apart, let alone discover a music genre that would go global?

Banky W is even a better (however underrated) musician than Wizkid.
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by IkengaRussell(m): 11:24pm On Sep 13, 2021
Mastakija:
I dont understand why ppl will b comparing wizkid to fela
Wizkid sings more abt women and some other shits
while fela is mostly abt freedom and bad governance

And women too...Don't forget,she go say ehh!! She go sey I be lady ooo...
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by GEEBITE: 11:32pm On Sep 13, 2021
Fela in 1968 at 30 was already touring the world playing music,yet you claim you are a massive fan. Tell me any musical instrument any of these guys you listed can play.Somebody created a genre of music these guys are heavily sampling. When Macron the French President came to Nigeria in 2016,the only place he requested to go and unwind is Afrikan Shrine. That is Fela's legacy that almost a quarter of century after his death he is still being celebrated.

It is absurd to put him on the same pedestal with people singing with synthesized beats with a colossus which sang with a band of at least 25 people at a go.Let these guys perform with a live band and all you get is a flat atmosphere. I have been opportune to watch Fela and all of these artistes bar one in live performance.

You might want to compare Bob Mariey and Ras Kimono then.
axeman10:

1 Like

Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by gambit25: 11:44pm On Sep 13, 2021
Fela sang and called out the government and the government retaliated by killing his mother, by torturing him and his house hold yet he never wavered, I bet none of our present artist could dear to tr that, truly back then the musicians were like prophets.
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by Fortune109: 12:02am On Sep 14, 2021
Indomie generation don't worry o grin (even though me sef na small boy) Pandemic babies are already a year/two old now. By the time they start comparing their own mumu too with our hard earned wizkid grin

Na that time una go know say what goes around comes around
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by axeman10(m): 12:26am On Sep 14, 2021
GEEBITE:
Fela in 1968 at 30 was already touring the world playing music,yet you claim you are a massive fan. Tell me any musical instrument any of these guys you listed can play.Somebody created a genre of music these guys are heavily sampling. When Macron the French President came to Nigeria in 2016,the only place he requested to go and unwind is Afrikan Shrine. That is Fela's legacy that almost a quarter of century after his death he is still being celebrated.

It is absurd to put him on the same pedestal with people singing with synthesized beats with a colossus which sang with a band of at least 25 people at a go.Let these guys perform with a live band and all you get is a flat atmosphere. I have been opportune to watch Fela and all of these artistes bar one in live performance.

You might want to compare Bob Mariey and Ras Kimono then.

Like I said, severally, you cannot compare. Generations differ. Fela growing up looked up to older musicians before him. He was highly influenced by Jazz, highlife from which he renamed his music Afrobeat. Not that he created a genre of music from no where.

And Fela was not touring the world in 1968. His music did not really blossom and become massive and global until the 70s...

Times differ, generations differ, platforms differ.. We had great African musicians long before Fela (God bless his soul) and there will be many more greats long after.

Why don't we just enjoy these hardworking musicians and see how great they can become. All I say is don't shut your mind and say these generation can't produce legends when their career is not over.

From all my post I never made comparison, you are the one giving examples Jay-Z vs MJ, Marley vs Kimono.

All I said is these guys are still active, and as long as their music appeal to their generation, then let them be the legends of their time.
Fela's music appeal to my generation and by right he was legendary. So were the Victor Olaiyas, the Bobby Bensons, ET Mensahs, the people of their generation will see them as being greatest musicians of their time.
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by jesusjnr2020(m): 12:42am On Sep 14, 2021
ogascomax:

You are not because you are talking nonsense. You don't have right to compare fela and any Pastor, no matter any reason. Do you know who a Christian is? What even brought pastor to this conversation is what I am even surprised at. If you speak of life style no matter how some may behave I have not seen any that come close to fela. Don't even go there next time comparing a Pastor and anything. How many times have you seen a Muslim calling up an imam in an issue. This is why Jesus said that the children of this generation in their time a wiser than the children of God. Because you are a Christian you can just open your mouth and talk anyhow.
Your comment reeks of sheer ignorance and blind sentiments. You must have been totally blind then to the instances Jesus compared the religious leaders to the sinners during His ministry. Have you forgotten the Samaritan who he used as an example of how to love one neighbor because of his good deeds? Do you have any idea who a Samaritan was to the Jews?

How about the centurion whose servant was sick?

How about the woman whose daughter was possessed?

How about the sinner who washed His feet with the expensive ointment?

How about Naaman the leper who he used as an example?

Do you want me to continue with more of such examples to show you the extent to which you were bereft of true knowledge?

They were all sinners and some gentiles, if you like, but Jesus spoke of the good aspect of their lives because they were worth emulating and so do i! So if Jesus were here you'd have said the same of Him as the Pharisees did.

Moreover who do think Jesus spoke of when He said many anointed ministers would be cast out on that day because of their works of iniquity?

Be there deceiving yourself with the illusion that they're all true Christians but expect to be shocked on the last day when you see most of them being cast out.

Do not expect everyone to be blind to the deviation of the church from the original standard as you are, because not everyone is unconcerned about the things of God as you are. We'd keep speaking until things are done the way they ought to be done in the church. If you think we have not right to do so, then come and stop us.
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by ddeola: 2:40am On Sep 14, 2021
Fela pass dier papa. sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by Emma1Oj(m): 5:18am On Sep 14, 2021
Mastakija:
I dont understand why ppl will b comparing wizkid to fela
Wizkid sings more abt women and some other shits
while fela is mostly abt freedom and bad governance
not alone did he sing abt bad govt and freedom..

FELA WAS A PROPHET, far far better than most of these ones standing on pulpit today forming pastors and prophet decieving their gulables.
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by deepyuki(m): 5:59am On Sep 14, 2021
Good morning fellow nairalanders.
Trust y'all slept well.

Please someone should help me with the artiste name and song title of this naija song with the following lyrics:
It was released around 2009, 2010... Or thereabouts...

The chorus goes... "Which way e, which one you dey e. You don manya abi you don dey e. You don meze abi you don dey. No dey take me play upon this place... otherwize, you go make me troway e, gbufff! Wetin you say e. You don manya abi you don dey, no dey take me play upon this place e e"

Then the rap goes.. . "We still feeling the beat, the beat be feeling me... blah, blah"...

Thanks in advance.
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by Drizzy5001(m): 6:43am On Sep 14, 2021
Please do t ever try it again, Fela and Wizkid no be mate sad
Re: Don’t Ever Compare Wizkid To Fela – Woli Arole Warns Nigerians by chocboi78(m): 6:54am On Sep 14, 2021
Or what will happen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Williams Uchemba To Send 100 Kids Back To School (picture) / Fred Nuamah And Martekor Quaye Marriage Crashes / Tee Billz Says He Is Single But Scared Of Women Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.