Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" (23496 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Winters23: 6:01pm On Sep 15, 2021
cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by IPIGSRDOTARDS: 6:05pm On Sep 15, 2021
Some of these mumus can't even read and comprehend.
The deal is having issues because the govt is demanding 40 percent local content. That's a good thing but the wailing and crying mumus can't understand why.

Some of these wailing fools just enjoy crying about the govt without understanding the content of the news or story. Now you wonder why the country is in mess,
With confused mumus like these, Nigeria has a long way to go.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Otuegbe: 6:05pm On Sep 15, 2021
Good
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Terrence99: 6:09pm On Sep 15, 2021
Local content according to Abokee means putting Abdul and Aminu everywhere. Meanwhile, the idiots can't even generate enough VAT to run their useless states.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by otipoju(m): 6:10pm On Sep 15, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
I won't blame Nigerian politicians. Nigerians are not ready for a positive change.

I will love to know why a deal was not struck between Siemens and the Nigerian FG.

I hope some people were not asking for kickback from Siemens or make e no b say nah DISCOS bribe Government Officials sef.

Anything is possible in Nigeria.

Can anything happen in Nigeria without kickback.
Even the sanctimonious OBJ was the grandfather of kickbacks...he get billions wey he demand and received from granting the licenses to the Telecoms companies.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 15, 2021
Una brain dey slow sha. There is a siemen’s deal since 2019 it is what that chief of staff Abba Kyari went and came back with covid. I’m not sure why he should have been there but we have been working with Germany since.

The problem is not agreement. It is your thieving officials on all levels that just keep f@cking everything up because if you don’t bribe every Tom Tom your work cannot see progress.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Princedapace(m): 6:13pm On Sep 15, 2021
gwafaeziokwu:

Thank you Chimamanda. Right questions for the right person at the right time. Hopefully , Merkel would revert back with a very detailed information as to what went wrong. Sane people in this messed up enclave need to know what went wrong with the siemens power deal.

Today they are shifting attention to Egypt just to buy time. Meanwhile Siemens is responsible for the Egyptian power success story. So APC government want to ditch the master and go with his apprentice.

People like Chimamanda can only try, nothing changes at the end because Nigerians are not yet ready for change.

U don't really need to talk down at Egypt. It is good to find out what structures they had in place that made Siemens to succeed. Nigeria has structural problem that is why nothing seems to work. We must find a way to fix our structural problems.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Reference(m): 6:14pm On Sep 15, 2021
I listened to the interview on radio yesterday and my first reaction was that someone must have put up Chiamanda to that point of inquiry since she did not have all the facts as one conversant with the deal brokered by the late CoS. Obviously Mrs Merkel wasn't either because I donot think that deal had reached her office formally before it stalled.

However my recurrent concern is about the way government handles its/our business. Granted we have given them the Power of Attorney to negotiate and get good deals for us, but it is incumbent in a democracy to ensure freedom of information. Without that room will always be created for speculation surrounding these deals and it may be wild but I suspect that 'local content' Siemens could not surmount really meant contracts, benefits and even ownership hijacked by powerful interest groups here in Nigeria, the Presidency to be specific, which has been our bane since independence.

For though the principle of local content is germane to our collective development, we the people should have been allowed to debate and decide if the danger of losing such a deal was worth the sacrifice of letting that interest slip. If it came to choosing either a Turnkey {package) deal for steady power supply by Siemens or having our interests (local content) secured in the process of creating it, I am certain most Nigerians will rather have the former.

For the suspicion in this case as in most cases which end up being true is that the so called 'Local Content' will be the fly in the ointment and another sad tale of corruption. Now this leaves a bitter taste in my mouth personally since I consistently oppose a quest for development by 'Julius Bergerism'.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by kayevans: 6:14pm On Sep 15, 2021
gwafaeziokwu:

Thank you Chimamanda. Right questions for the right person at the right time. Hopefully , Merkel would revert back with a very detailed information as to what went wrong. Sane people in this messed up enclave need to know what went wrong with the siemens power deal.

Today they are shifting attention to Egypt just to buy time. Meanwhile Siemens is responsible for the Egyptian power success story. So APC government want to ditch the master and go with his apprentice.

People like Chimamanda can only try, nothing changes at the end because Nigerians are not yet ready for change.

I absolutely agree with you. Esp your last sentence. The level of dotility among Nigerians need to be learned. Inflation is currently choking us all and no one is doing anything about it. We are afraid to die forgetting that that which is already dead cannot die again. Are we really living in nigeria? Just have a little stint outside our borders then you will know that we are not living in this country yet we are afraid to die, to speak out, to question, to condemn, to demand. Just like I have shifted blame to church goers (and not the con men) for emboldening the absurdities that emanate from 'churches' these days so have I shifted the blame for the present situation of things in Nigeria on the citizenry and not the marauding political thieves.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Elsueno: 6:14pm On Sep 15, 2021
Emu4life:
Abba kyari was so commited to the actualization of this deal despite opposition from GENCOS, DISCOS, electricity stakeholders and other bribe seeking politician.Some folks were celebrating when Abba Kyari died. Unfortunately, just as Abba Kyari died, the Siemens deal died too. He was not the problem afterall. RIP ABBA KYARI

That man was the brain behind the little successes of d Buhari administration, d moment he passed, everything went to shyt!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Jerryherd: 6:15pm On Sep 15, 2021
Generator importers and cabals

Which business man in his right senses would borrow money to come and invest in your community, and you tell him 50% of what he would spend out of his money he got through loan must compulsory be spent by you or you must buy from him
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by ObalaEmma: 6:22pm On Sep 15, 2021
What do they mean by local content.maybe they refused some deals that require Nigeria as officials.l?

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by ICCtestimony(m): 6:23pm On Sep 15, 2021
If it doesn't work. Abba kayri works if you
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Jerryherd: 6:26pm On Sep 15, 2021
ObalaEmma:
What do they mean by local content.maybe they refused some deals that require Nigeria as officials.l?

Simple

If Siemens wants to buy 10 standard Trailers for construction.. Nigerian cabal are telling them, they can only buy 5 Mercedes Benz 911 truck with their own money, the remaining 5 trailers and truck must be bought from Dangote trucks limited, Innosun Truck limited and Proforce Automobile who are all affiliate of China

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by emperor863(m): 6:28pm On Sep 15, 2021
BrokeAndHatingI:
Nigerian government demanded to supply 45--50% local content for the project when Ajaokuta steel company has been moribund for more than 40 years. All of your refineries are obsolete, you can't produce toothpicks but you want 45% local contents, something you would end up contracting a Malam who'd end up delivering fake products

Malams don't sell or supply fake products. The whole country knows those who deal in fake and adulterated products. I no mention name ooo.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Reference(m): 6:30pm On Sep 15, 2021
Emu4life:
Abba kyari was so commited to the actualization of this deal despite opposition from GENCOS, DISCOS, electricity stakeholders and other bribe seeking politician.Some folks were celebrating when Abba Kyari died. Unfortunately, just as Abba Kyari died, the Siemens deal died too. He was not the problem afterall. RIP ABBA KYARI

Please let us hear word abeg. Which country on earth loses a key sector because an individual is no more. Does this not tell you how reckless this government runs its affairs. Are you not concerned that if certain commitments were made or monies paid it can all be lost or even worse plunge us into legal minefields. Are you certain right now that nothing has been lost with the demise of the man in question.

Government is not run as a sole proprietorship and if we had a functional Legislature they will demand to be briefed every step of the way. You are a witness to deals struck by past governments under great secrecy and without oversight coming back to torment us today and you are high-fiving this enormous lapse in governance.

I tell you here with all certainty. That the only reason these deals are shrouded in secrecy is not for our benefit in any way shape of form but to protect their own interests. We know that this government likes the pomp and parade of its infrastructure 'achievements'. So for the dog to cease barking it means it is busy with a bone.

We have not heard the last of this, believe me.

6 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Nonexisting1: 6:33pm On Sep 15, 2021
Her questions should have been on matters concerning Biafra land because Nigeria has failed already.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Reference(m): 6:41pm On Sep 15, 2021
IPIGSRDOTARDS:
The deal is having issues because the govt is demanding 40 percent local content. That's a good thing but the wailing and crying mumus can't understand why.

Some of these wailing fools just enjoy crying about the govt without understanding the content of the news or story. Now you wonder why the country is in mess,

Like I said earlier, there are things which should be open for wider debate. The local content issue is one of them. It should not be left to the Executive alone let alone one single individual and I use these examples.

The debate for local content is credible. Abuja lost water supply for close to three months at the beginning of the year due to a single component that could not be flown in from France due to Covid restrictions. That is dangerous. Imagine if the national grid faced similar challenges.

However on the other hand. If we waited for local content to handle the Covid pandemic including ventilators, PPR and even vaccines, we would pay a heavy, untenable price.

What constitutes a quest for self sufficiency, security and empowerment squares up to emergency and survival.
Such decisions are beyond what any leadership should monopolise.

Yes, Mr Kyari did well in cultivating the deal, but it was not handled well and I repeat such secrecy only germinates suspicion.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by izubext007: 6:43pm On Sep 15, 2021
When buhari bad economic policy has has , drag Julius Berger almost out the country because of lack of contract, Amanda want them to come and waist more money abi.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Adakintroy: 6:45pm On Sep 15, 2021
People like okonjo iweala would have been a good spokes person for us in the internationals community. Even if Nigeria was not credible only her credibility could have work for us in terms of attracting foreign partners. Sometimes all it take are few good men or women leveraging their own integrity for us. But we use "know know" dislodge them. See how we day cry now like pikin mama de press him wound.

I no know weda to pray or do Nigerians utoonn!!!

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Darkblood: 6:50pm On Sep 15, 2021
Yes through leaders like buhari
SarkinYarki:
How did Siemens fail in Nigeria? Nigerians are the ones failing Nigeria Daily!!! Nobody else

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Goke7: 6:52pm On Sep 15, 2021
IPIGSRDOTARDS:

Where has the local content gotten us to with the likes of the discos. If we waited for local content, there will never be GSM in Nigeria. If we waited for local content, the trains and trains stations won't be working now.

Let's stop the pretense, there's a grand plan to see that electric power does not see the light of day in Nigeria. If it worked in Egypt why can't it work in Nigeria abi is it a different Germany from another planet that implemented that of Egypt. Abeg let's stop the grammar and light up this country. How long shall we watch the rest of the world leave us behind. Don't we have shame any longer

8 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Commentor: 6:56pm On Sep 15, 2021
BrokeAndHatingI:
Nigerian government demanded to supply 45--50% local content for the project when Ajaokuta steel company has been moribund for more than 40 years. All of your refineries are obsolete, you can't produce toothpicks but you want 45% local contents, something you would end up contracting a Malam who'd end up delivering fake products

If they hadn't made the demand you will still say "A country of unemployed youth".

Nothing government would ever do would satisfy you.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by SocialJustice: 6:57pm On Sep 15, 2021
After all the noise, the project is dead and I hope the counterpart funding has not been squandered.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Ayo8(m): 6:57pm On Sep 15, 2021
Can someone pls borrow chimamanda some dress sense...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by PHIPEX(m): 7:00pm On Sep 15, 2021
IPIGSRDOTARDS:

If Nigeria has capacity to offer 40% local content how come we haven't figured out the solution ourselves after 60 years? Now we have our 100% local content but zero electricity.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Commentor: 7:02pm On Sep 15, 2021
[s]
Reference:

Please let us hear word abeg. Which country on earth loses a key sector because an individual is no more. Does this not tell you how reckless this government runs its affairs. Are you not concerned that if certain commitments were made or monies paid it can all be lost or even worse plunge us into legal minefields. Are you certain right now that nothing has been lost with the demise of the man in question.

Government is not run as a sole proprietorship and if we had a functional Legislature they will demand to be briefed every step of the way. You are a witness to deals struck by past governments under great secrecy and without oversight coming back to torment us today and you are high-fiving this enormous lapse in governance.

I tell you here with all certainty. That the only reason these deals are shrouded in secrecy is not for our benefit in any way shape of form but to protect their own interests. We know that this government likes the pomp and parade of its infrastructure 'achievements'. So for the dog to cease barking it means it is busy with a bone.

[/s]

You tell us what?

At least the source (Angela Merkel) never accused the government of corruption.

Matter of fact, it is clear the government was interested in providing employment for the people.

Have some shame.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Emu4life(m): 7:05pm On Sep 15, 2021
Reference:

So much rant on what you couldn't comprehend. I owe you no further explanation. Thanks
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by fashrola(m): 7:10pm On Sep 15, 2021
BrokeAndHatingI:
Nigerian government demanded to supply 45--50% local content for the project when Ajaokuta steel company has been moribund for more than 40 years. All of your refineries are obsolete,you can't produce toothpicks but you want 45% local contents, something you would end up contracting a Malam who'd end up delivering fake products

Akwa Ibom state dey produce toothpicks nah grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Nobody: 7:19pm On Sep 15, 2021
She is the best Nigerian world representative to ever put EU nations who think of Africa as a pile of rubbish under tension regarding their knowledge and involvements in Africa.

I would gladly nominate her for presidency if she does come out despite my disdain for her feminism way of thinking.

She is what Nigeria needs, an intelligent, fact-giving, no-foreign-ass-licking, outspoken person.

People should push her to the political terrain, she would win

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by franchasng: 7:30pm On Sep 15, 2021
Igbos always speaking up against the corruption and injustice in Nigeria.

The hope of a greater Nigeria lie in the hands of Igbos, take it or leave it, Nigeria became a carricature it is today after the Civil war that Igbos were pushed out of federal power and Hausa-Fulanis took over with the assistanship of the Yorubas.

If you want Nigeria to get back on track, ask the general Igbo population to give you a Presidential candidate and vote in that person and watch how Nigeria will be transformed but if you make the mistake of handpicking any of the corrupt rogues parading as Igbo politicians in the likes of Rochas, Orji Kalu and Co, then be prepared to have another failure like Buhari

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

'The Palmwine Drinkard' By Amos Tutuola & How It Relates To Social Media Slaying / Top 5 Beaches In Lagos / No Matter What

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.