Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,856 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" (23506 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Nobody: 5:10am On Sep 16, 2021
Reference:
I listened to the interview on radio yesterday and my first reaction was that someone must have put up Chiamanda to that point of inquiry since she did not have all the facts as one conversant with the deal brokered by the late CoS. Obviously Mrs Merkel wasn't either because I donot think that deal had reached her office formally before it stalled.

However my recurrent concern is about the way government handles its/our business. Granted we have given them the Power of Attorney to negotiate and get good deals for us, but it is incumbent in a democracy to ensure freedom of information. Without that room will always be created for speculation surrounding these deals and it may be wild but I suspect that 'local content' Siemens could not surmount really meant contracts, benefits and even ownership hijacked by powerful interest groups here in Nigeria, the Presidency to be specific, which has been our bane since independence.

For though the principle of local content is germane to our collective development, we the people should have been allowed to debate and decide if the danger of losing such a deal was worth the sacrifice of letting that interest slip. If it came to choosing either a Turnkey {package) deal for steady power supply by Siemens or having our interests (local content) secured in the process of creating it, I am certain most Nigerians will rather have the former.

For the suspicion in this case as in most cases which end up being true is that the so called 'Local Content' will be the fly in the ointment and another sad tale of corruption. Now this leaves a bitter taste in my mouth personally since I consistently oppose a quest for development by 'Julius Bergerism'.

The iṅsights offered in this commentary are heartbreaking. I know that diversity is key to progress but how I wish half of the country held the insights you shared as religious truth, our progress as a nation would be a more serious and committed one. Local content angry sad
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Nobody: 5:32am On Sep 16, 2021
Commentor:

If they hadn't made the demand you will still say "A country of unemployed youth".

Nothing government would ever do would satisfy you.
Becaus fundamentally the Government is set up to frustrate accountability. Government is meant to distribute wealth but how is the weálth distribted in a Nigeria with politicians of zero ideological motivation..tueh
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Nobody: 5:35am On Sep 16, 2021
Commentor:
[s][/s]

You tell us what?

At least the source (Angela Merkel) never accused the government of corruption.

Matter of fact, it is clear the government was interested in providing employment for the people.

Have some shame.
erat
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Nobody: 5:36am On Sep 16, 2021
Commentor:
[s][/s]

You tell us what?

At least the source (Angela Merkel) never accused the government of corruption.

Matter of fact, it is clear the government was interested in providing employment for the people.

Have some shame.
eRat

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Nobody: 5:37am On Sep 16, 2021
Emu4life:
So much rant on what you couldn't comprehend. I owe you no further explanation. Thanks
The rant provided more insights into the issues than your next 3 generations can ever dream of mustering.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Emu4life(m): 5:49am On Sep 16, 2021
trailblazar:

The rant provided more insights into the issues than your next 3 generations can ever dream of mustering.
You guyz just use words carelessly here. Not surprised though, dont expect much from drunkards.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Nobody: 5:57am On Sep 16, 2021
JesseJo:

I'm surprised that 125 people liked your dumb comment.

From tbe report it was clear why the project failed... Nigeria wanted over 40% local content protection ... Something that was going to protect me and you. And not that the returns from the power project will all be repatriated to Germany...

Yet, it is the the FG you blame for not acceeding to a deal that does not favor Nigeria ...And 125 idii0ots like you liked your comment.

Awon werey
eRat
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Nobody: 6:00am On Sep 16, 2021
gwafaeziokwu:

You were probably the only mugu that read the report on what happened to the deal when it was released by aso rock. If what went wrong with the Siemens power deal was public knowledge, did you ever think that Chimamanda will not be aware? Was the deal going to be done on behalf of Nigerians or not? If yes, when it failed, Nigerians who own the deal deserve answers. Chimamanda asked a question her government was unwilling to answer.

The real idiot is you who think mere conjectures should replace government accountability to her subjects.
Dont mind him and other eDiots of his ilk. They are always very easy to spot and use for ridiculous attempts at standing logic on its head.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Nobody: 6:08am On Sep 16, 2021
Emu4life:
You guyz just use words carelessly here. Not surprised though, dont expect much from drunkards.
Once again you have offered nothing. Just taking up the space. Continue until your dying breath.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Elhabeeb1(m): 6:39am On Sep 16, 2021
If it was China doing it, every dick and Harry will shout Nigerians should be the ones supplying/executing must of the contracts. But now, the government wants to do the same for this one and the good for nothing people think it's an opportunity to take a jab at the presidency.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by barcaboi(m): 7:18am On Sep 16, 2021
The FG is right to demand local contents; Adichie was right to ask but sometimes throwing all these randomly to mock the nation isn’t always right. I hope it succeeds

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by barcaboi(m): 7:18am On Sep 16, 2021
Elhabeeb1:
If it was China doing it, every dick and Harry will shout Nigerians should be the ones supplying/executing must of the contracts. But now, the government wants to do the same for this one and the good for nothing people think it's an opportunity to take a jab at the presidency.
God bless u
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by 989900: 7:50am On Sep 16, 2021
ExtraVioment:
Too many untrustworthy people in key positions.

Immediately they see contract, they are planning kick backs and how to divert any money.

The deal failed because corruption reared its head and showed its teeth at every table that the proposal passed through.

Nothing more; nothing less -- period! embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by 989900: 7:54am On Sep 16, 2021
sulaak:

The idea was started with Sowere during his failed presidential campaign he highlighted Egypt successful implementation of 15,000 MW for $6.7 in 27 months, Fashola picked it up and confirmed that his ministry of power was in consultation with Siemen.

Abba Kyari wasn't supposed to be involved in the Siemen project, this was the responsibility of Saleh Mamman and the Ministery of Power but he was so useless that Abba Kyari had to accompany him to Germany

The question is who appointed Saleh Mamman?

It's a pity/shame, even my 2 cents companies are better run than this mistake of a country called Nigeria.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by Litmus: 11:20am On Sep 16, 2021
989900:

It's a pity/shame, even my 2 cents companies are better run than this mistake of a country called Nigeria.

This is not relevant to the subject under discussion.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Questions Angela Merkel: "Siemens Deal Failed In Nigeria" by 989900: 7:06pm On Sep 16, 2021
Litmus:

This is not relevant to the subject under discussion.

Ask for a translator.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 5 Beaches In Lagos / Which Books Are You Currently Reading? / No Matter What

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.