Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,213 members, 7,825,803 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story (14634 Views)

Why Were You Punished In Primary School. Share Your Experiences. / How Was Your First Day And Lecture At School? Share Your Experience. / What Were You Known For In Secondary School? Share For Fun. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Matheusmartin: 6:54am On Sep 17, 2021
Lordbinsmar:
embarassed embarassed God punish all the past leaders that contributed to bad governance in Nigeria that have turned most graduates to nuisance. All serious Nigerian graduates with good grades deserves a good life. At least should be able to make a living from what they studies.

I wasn't really broke when I was in school due to the fact that my university is in same city where my parents lives.

But I really felt for some of my friends and hostel roommate who came from far places. A lot of them suffered especially during exam period shocked shocked shocked.

I can remember one day like that when two of my friends wrote 3 exams in a day with empty stomach embarassed embarassed embarassed the only thing they ate was the 150# snacks that I bought for them. embarassed embarassed

I wrote just one exam that day fluid mechanics because we are in different department and the two other courses they wrote was their departmental course.

My friends still managed to pass all the three exams with good grades. Since then I respected those guys.

My thoughts goes to all Nigerian graduates who struggled in school and still don't have something tangible to show for it, keep chasing your dreams and ignore the naysayers.

Naa only person wey don die wey no get hope,

Like 2pac said,"the trick is to never lose hope "

I wish you all the best.

By three exams, hopefully carry over was among right?

In my department, we are not allowed to write more than 1 exam per day. And even with a CO, it's usually not more than 2.

2 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Lordbinsmar: 6:57am On Sep 17, 2021
Matheusmartin:
By three exams, hopefully carry over was among right?

In my department, we are not allowed to write more than 1 exam per day. And even with a CO, it's usually not more than 2.

No carry over course.

1 faculty course and 2 departmental courses, one of the department course is a lab work shop exam. Usually one hour but can contain up to 30 to 40 questions.

People do write 3 exams in my school oo.

The lectures at times can be crazy.

I started writing two exams in a day since my part one second semester.

PHY 102 8 am to 11am and MTH 102 12-3pm.

since then write two exams in a day has been norms, I wrote 3 exams like twice between Part 4 and 5.

Two department courses and one elective.

3 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Matheusmartin: 7:10am On Sep 17, 2021
Lordbinsmar:

No carry over course.

1 faculty course and 2 departmental courses, one of the department course is a lab work shop exam. Usually one hour but can contain up to 30 to 40 questions.

People do write 3 exams in my school oo.

The lectures at times can be crazy.

I started writing two exams in a day since my part one second semester.

PHY 102 8 am to 11am and MTH 102 12-3pm.

since then write two exams in a day has been norms, I wrote 3 exams like twice between Part 4 and 5.

Two department courses and one elective.

Omo.
How were you guys able to cope??.
Me nor fit do am o.
Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Nobody: 7:25am On Sep 17, 2021
lkillbrokehoes:
I was never broke in school, I had everything I wanted.
if you had everything you wanted in school then this thread is not for you, but you really had to comment right?

11 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Lordbinsmar: 7:30am On Sep 17, 2021
Matheusmartin:
Omo.
How were you guys able to cope??.
Me nor fit do am o.

When you are in Rome, you automatically behave like a Roman grin grin grin

No body wan cast grin grin grin

Even if you dey there, you go blend I dey very sure.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Matheusmartin: 7:56am On Sep 17, 2021
Lordbinsmar:

When you are in Rome, you automatically behave like a Roman grin grin grin

No body wan cast grin grin grin

Even if you dey there, you go blend I dey very sure.
It's true Sha.
I'll definitely adapt.

1 Like

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by TheWolfen(m): 8:13am On Sep 17, 2021
Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by kerry57: 8:28am On Sep 17, 2021
Y
Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Bodyodour: 8:28am On Sep 17, 2021
Currently in school with brokeness my roommate.
Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by jibrinidris836(m): 8:29am On Sep 17, 2021
Edibles20:
Lol. I was dead broke.
I remember waking up deep in the night to eat leftover foods from my hostel mates. Anything I see on their plates, I’ll just pack it and eat. Sometimes, will open the pots and pick the ones left by the side of the pots.
My roommates and I were not close. They were levels ahead of me. Different departments. Some were squatters. Most were Muslim. It was a northern federal university.

I could survive on 2,000 for the entire month. There was this burger sold in front on the hostel ar night. It was basically bread and stuffed with veggies. I’d gather all my strength and wait till night. I’ll buy one for like 80 then get water. Most times I went hungry. This was 2005. Suleiman Hostel, room A3 35.

I am really thankful for life. Life has been really fair to me since I got out of school. I have no single complaints
wait were you an Abu student?
Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Equiano: 8:29am On Sep 17, 2021
Resumed a new session with a 120 naira. That was the beginning of my success in life. I had to write CAs for course mates, term papers, literature reviews for tokens as 50 and 100 naira sometimes. To be sincere, the 'brokeness' turned me to a star, hence my moniker. I will write any paper in the social sciences faculty. RESULTS: was assigned as a quasi- graduate assistant in my final year with a token of 18400 naira. I was sending money home before my graduation. #UNN #MbanefoHallRoom235.

9 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Emytea(m): 8:30am On Sep 17, 2021
omo, i was broke to the lent that i will just go out from my hostel for no reason, praying i will pick money from the ground or express road

8 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Goldenheart(m): 8:32am On Sep 17, 2021
grin it was my predegree year...

I lived in a remote town of ilara mokin.
Our large house rent was about #700/month

I ran out of food, cash, I had a neighbor guy who was good at managing in such hard time.I call him sir kay

He taught me how to manage small garri for a couple of days...

I suffered for a week, felt like forever...when I received my allowance. I cried.

Another instance is my service year... No cash but there was food... Beans and rice. I would rotate this meal:

Rice n beans white
Rice
Beans
Beans n rice n tomato paste stew
Jollof rice
Jollof beans
Jollof rice n beans

Kerosene was 70 bucks/liter
Bonfire was 40 bucks/liter

Bonfire was cheaper but more volatile. People have been known to have died from using that type of fuel.

But in hard times people just have to risk it...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Skillsnigeria: 8:32am On Sep 17, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Disturb: 8:32am On Sep 17, 2021
Was I ever broke?
Damn I was always broke...my uncle who was to see me through school became lackadaisical about my education because I refused repeating a level in vet medicine & changed to biology..saying Biology was a useless course
Sometimes I would resume school with nothing... I remember cooking rice most times with just Maggi and salt... Eating just only bread a day and sleeping till the next day... I became so emaciated till the point my course mates noticed and started begging me to eat to stay alive..
Big ups to V.... (Nigga squated me in hostel 100L,200L and final year)
Tho I was emotionally abused and sturvs that made me leave home... I still appreciate my Mom...thst woman came through for me in every little way, if not na hunger for kill me
She'll package Yam and grinded pap and other food stuffs and send to me all the way from village

Going through that school broke wasn't easy...I couldn't afford my final year school fees self... I was supposed to have an extra year but God came through for me.. I'm seeing my name on graduation list... Don't still know her
I'm thinking it's a mistake... I pray they don't remember before I go to serve... Still owing that school truck load of money... About 60k in all

Don't ever attempt schooling in 9ja if you no get sponsor or truck load of cash

22 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by stanluiz(m): 8:34am On Sep 17, 2021
Matheusmartin:
It's not always easy combining studies with side hustles..

Many of my guys that tried it in pharmacy school probated at one level or the other.
That stress no be here oooh!!

It combines both physical and mental stress.

2 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Ayoslimzy(m): 8:35am On Sep 17, 2021
Only in my 100 L days grin…after that na enjoyment galore o…school sweet when money dey
Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by donmik: 8:36am On Sep 17, 2021
So broke one day that I believed God blindfolded all those walking past the #400 my eyes captured from like 1km away. This happened after not eating since morning till 4pm and there was no hope of food still. Not that am fasting o. On reaching there, i picked my heavenly-sent bread for that day.
Got to my friends to share with them

10 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Aarenasbaba(m): 8:37am On Sep 17, 2021
When I was broke during my OND days... As a building technology student..... I went for labourer job. One of our lecturer was the supervisor of the project....

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by NaijaCuzin: 8:37am On Sep 17, 2021
80 percent were once broke, maybe you attended babcock

2 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by infotainment(m): 8:37am On Sep 17, 2021
mactoni91:
Na so i leave Lagos go school for Uniport oh

School life would never erase from my memory...

I suffered sha!

I remembered trekking one Friday from Choba to Rumagholu all cause i had no money.

I starved from that Friday till Sunday Night and became so weak. I searched every pockets of trouser and shirts i had to see if I'll mistakenly see even 20 Naira but found nothing.

I only found some seeds of groundnuts and Bitter cola which i had for dinner.

Next morning, my neighbour a Family, brought me food...(how they knew i was dying gradually, still a mystery to me till date ) They kept knocking my door atleast once everyday to bring me food.

Me wey by default i no dey eat strangers food.

They took me as family and gave me errands i made money from.

Infact, the man made me his PA and entrusted his ATM cards in my care.

Whenever he travels, he calls me to help him check up on his family from time and whenever they need anything, he authorises me to withdraw and send money to them.

Long story short, i still call this family till date and felt bad when i discovered he lost his Job.

First time i sent something to them because i still had their account numbers saved in my notebook, the woman cried on phone and thanked me with her husband.

Till date, I still Assist them in every little way i can.

They were part of my story
This is how best to invest in people.

3 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Memberclub(m): 8:38am On Sep 17, 2021
Any time my wealthy neighbour left for school me and my roommate will break into his room daily just to eat any cooked food or raw foods to cook.

2 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by tillaman(m): 8:38am On Sep 17, 2021
Well if you must know, back then In school my head sef dey there small

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Keniwit(m): 8:38am On Sep 17, 2021
lkillbrokehoes:
I was never broke in school, I had everything I wanted.
Thank God for your life...Ours worst

1 Like

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by DCmonster: 8:40am On Sep 17, 2021
I was never broke when I was in college in naija.
But I got so broke in my final year due to a bad relationship that I had to wait until midnight to steal bag of water on two different occasions from a 24hrs shop on campus.
I hope the seller forgives me even though he might never know.

1 Like

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Titanium007: 8:43am On Sep 17, 2021
I wasnt broke in my school day's, infact I do receive upkeeps from two sources at the end of every month, I must be sincere, I attended school like the son of a senator. No be small groove o.
I paid for a very fine accommodation, it was almost like a hotel because it had steady power supply.
Come see babes wae want die because of me.
Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by ClassicMan202(m): 8:44am On Sep 17, 2021
Omo..... No be small thing o

I just dey think am, tears wan comot from my eyes

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Hottest States (in Terms Of Temperature) In Nigeria / IGP Adamu plots to move Police PR School from Kwara to his home state / ASUU Zonal Chapters To Review Strike This Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.