Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,590 members, 7,827,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

What I Saw At The Bank Today!! - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What I Saw At The Bank Today!! (53983 Views)

What Happened To Me At The Bank Today / Pls Who Else Is Having Issues With Access Bank Today?? / Rejection Of Old Dollar Notes: My Experience At The Bank Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by executive12: 6:53pm On Sep 22, 2021
ceaser:

The SIM lock works only if the SIM card is removed from your phone and put in another phone. But if the whole process is carried out in your phone, mhen, nothing can stop 'em.

The only way is if you have the password or lockscreen of your phone activated and also your SIM lock activated. In that case, they will be forced to remove your SIM card into another phone and then they encounter the SIM lock challenge.

I want to believe that most people that use SIM lock also lock their screen.
To bypass the lock screen, the criminal will probably flash the phone. When the phone is restarted, the criminal will be required to input SIM pin.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Angeldemon: 6:59pm On Sep 22, 2021
Bank staff are in partnership with thier yahoo yahoo friends both male and female staff.
The guys have yahoo friends. The girls have yahoo boyfriends who they supply your info and BVN which they can easily see on their system.

if you want a safe bank account make sure you dont have ATM car or online banking to that account or else they can easily leak your info o their yahoo friends
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by justparamount(m): 7:30pm On Sep 22, 2021
See it's not Everytime that banks staff know about it o if some people can have access to dead people accounts in the US and use it for fraudulent activities you think they will find our banks here difficult?
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by sheanzy(m): 7:31pm On Sep 22, 2021
poiZon:

Na my papa, my mama, my useless kids that will be shot while robbing a kiosk, infact my generation shall be idiots..nothing good shall come out of my belly.
It shall never be well with me, my kids, siblings, parents.
Everything I touch from today shall collapse, in Jesus name. Amen.

Amen
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by oluwatosin070: 7:36pm On Sep 22, 2021
I feel deeply sorry for the woman.

She is a victim of social engineering which unfortunately makes the bank not liable; which makes it her loss.

As a Fraud Analyst, these are the likely things to be done;
1. The bank should track where the money was moved to.
2. Send a lien or restriction mail to the bank of the beneficiary of the fraud.
3. The woman should involve a law enforcement agent and she should also get a court order.

The process might be long but her money will be recovered.

This is what I do everyday.
Life of a Fraud Analyst...
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Babyg0123: 7:39pm On Sep 22, 2021
Sorry about her loss. But i usually advise people to keep their life (as in money you can die for in fix deposit account ) no body except you can touch it or give the bank and instruction to post no debit on that particular account where you have your life unless you are present in the bank. Nigeria don cast
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Paperbag(m): 7:45pm On Sep 22, 2021
williamszooh:
true talk,how many parents have reported their children or their relations that are involved in fraudulent act

Non
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Nobody: 8:03pm On Sep 22, 2021
Na person wey dem never scam and person wey dey thief go they hail yahoo boys for street.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by elonmuskbaby: 8:28pm On Sep 22, 2021
chukwuibuipob:
sad Some pipu sef sad? I believe they warned her after she opened d ACC never to give ATM card/pin to a 3rd party/help me do dis/dat but whosai sad? Some will even write their pin num everywhere/even saved it in their phone contact.That 300k is gone sad sad with wind.

Those of U that make pipu cry/spend the money on girls/drink.May Ur parents cry over u unless u repent
amennnn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by elonmuskbaby: 8:29pm On Sep 22, 2021
zinaunreal:
I thought op had a better topic
Na them

Yahoo boys are getting pained that their format don dey cast

Continue
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by elonmuskbaby: 8:32pm On Sep 22, 2021
Kellie069:
Question way u go ask people way de work for bank, u come here come de ask am! Nor b mumu man you be so?asheju!!!!! Make we know say ur papa de use ur atm take withdraw abi?
arindin ni e.o gbon Rara.

Another pained Yahoo boy
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by jeff1607(m): 8:43pm On Sep 22, 2021
ceaser:

It's quite simple to handle these guys. There are some red flags to look out for:

1. They are not well cultured in spoken English. Most times you will catch them with some odd local accent tainting their spoken English. They may also have grammatical errors.

2. They come with suggestions that make you get agitated or excited. Things like "your ATM card is bla bla bla", "there is a covid allowance to be paid into your account", your account is to be blocked and we need to prevent that", etc.

3. Before, they will need most of your account information, but nowadays, they have become sophisticated enough to have your account info (account number, name and ATM details) ahead. So all they need is an OTP that will be sent into your phone for them to complete the transaction over there at their own side. They disguise the request in several ways. One of such ways is that they tell you that a code to unblock your account will soon be forwarded to your number and you will need to call the code for 'em. Then they call you back to retrieve the code.

4. In some instances where they may not have your account number ahead but need it to continue with the process, they will request that you call out your account number. If you are on GTB (which they know) and you decide to call out an account number that starts with "200", they will stop you in your tracks and insist that you are calling out a wrong account number which is actually true. Most GTB accounts start with "00".

Do not honour any calls claiming to be from your bank. The best you can do is pick the call and waste the caller's time and credit. Use them to catch fún.

If your bank ever call you or send you an email to correct certain things, it will not be to ask for your details. At best, it is to ask you to call their customer care line or to visit one of their branches.

The only ways my money can be moved by these guys is if my phone is stolen which makes them to have access to my banking SIM card, account information, account balance and banking email. Any other format aside that na just waste of time.

Meanwhile for guys stealing from other people's sweat, here is a short clip from Barrister Mike feat. Kanayo. O. Kanayo to serve as a lesson.

https://www.facebook.com/100044427579764/posts/402284504595799/?app=fbl

I concur with this. First bank has the highest cases of bank robberies countrywide for obvious reasons. They seem to have a lot of insiders that work with armed robbers.

I concur with all you’ve said
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Nonexisting1: 8:44pm On Sep 22, 2021
femarse:

You sound so certain that you know what you are saying but the sad part is until you get to another man's farm , you might be deluded to think your father's farm is the biggest

1 bank scams happen every where in the whole wide world and Nigerian banks are just getting into the scene the moment they went digital... American bank has been scammed sevely long before the first ATM touch down in Lagos , why?
Because anything online is not permanently safe , someone design the security, someone spend day and night to detect the flaw in the security and then take advantage...the moment Nigerian banks went online , they become suceptible to online scam , it's has been in existence since the time Nigerian banks were using big paper register for record keeping

2. American banks has been scammed for years but we all know that it was not the bank staff that were perpetrating the fraud ...yet the fraudster gets every detail so right that money is been released ....and that's how our famous Yahoo boys become successful, I wonder when the same thing started happening to Nigerian banks , the only thing simple minded low quality brain people can think of is "the bank staff were the one ". There is a word call hacking ...Google is your friend

3 ...99 percent of bank frauds are perpetrated by people who don't even know a single person in the bank ...I am certain about this ....if the fraud is someone calling you on the phone ....the bank in staff and all had nothing to do with it ...someone that work in the bank won't go through that silly stress, you have to call 100 people to have a chance of 5 people falling for the scam ...as a matter of fact everyone had virtually been called including the bankers themselves
...that should tell you something is wrong , if you don't have a banker friend try making one ...they graduated from the same school as you do , they are not ghost , they are physical and live in the neighborhood...

4 about bankers pay....if it so much pain you, you can generously help them and add to their pay , I am sure it will Grace nairaland front page ....and for your Info, there are few organization that pay better than banks in Nigeria even thou that pay is not much, your problem is you are comparing the pay of a teller in a bank to that of the bank manager meanwhile on a average , the pay of a teller is far better than plenty of the organization littered around the country and while entrepreneur is the way forward as cost equal income, those little shitty entrepreneur that fill up nairaland are the first set to complain about this pay ...not the people that actually earn it themselves

And if you are paying attention , you will realized that your scammer did not even have an idea where you bank ...but the moment you call the first 4 digit of your ATM card...now they know ....the first 4 digit of all bank ATM card are the same ...if we are both gtb customer and we were both issue Master card , the first 4 digit of both card are the same , it's what the bank use to identify themselves...I doubt u have even figure this out ...it takes someone who really want to break a security to know ...not someone who has been busy attending to customer from 8 in the morning til 4 pm who is probably overwhelmed and the only thing he/she want to do is to get home and sleep

Majority of those people are prolly better than you
This one na true banker. Fake bankers are busy dishing out advice everywhere like say their papa na Bank Chairman and them be the CEO.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Kellie069(m): 8:46pm On Sep 22, 2021
elonmuskbaby:
arindin ni e.o gbon Rara.

Another pained Yahoo boy

Not at all sir!!
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by elonmuskbaby: 8:52pm On Sep 22, 2021
Fremantle:

Op let me answer your first question based on experience (first hand).

Most times the banking staffs are involved, the reason I said this is..... Let me tell u a story

My mom almost became a victim to this scammers, she has bin saving up a potion of money with her bank for an agreed number of years (Fixed Deposit) so after the years had elapsed, she started the process for withdrawal, it took time though, you know how banks can be. All necessary requirements were met and she asked for the money to b paid into her bank account.....

Now here's the funny thing, after the money was paid and alert received and she went home it was barely 2hours when she got a call
From her supposed bank telling her that her account has issues and that she needs to clarify it. She was asked to present her card digits, card expiration date, CCV number and her pin. Unknown to my mom it was a scam, due to she just collected the money and the circumstance in which the guy called, she thought it was something normal.

She provided all the necessary details and to even think she was the only one at home then, as they say "For God so Loved the world" that day God so Loved my mom, after a few minutes my dad came home and she narrated what happened, immediately my dad shouted and said they should go to the bank ASAP.

They got to the bank and reported, got the card blocked and the account closed as well but b4 the account was closed confirmation was made and the money was intact. My peeps had to withdraw the entire money from the account cheesy

Later went to HQ to complain, it was there we discovered that it was some staff of the bank who connive with outsiders to reap people off their saving. What they do is wen ur date is due, and payment is confirmed, they'll then send ur details to whoever they've planned with to reap u off, and once it's successful they get their cut.

I feel for the Lady, let's just pray we or anyone we know don't fall victim to this scammers, cos till now my mom anytime she looks back she always say, if they had withdrew the money from her account, she would have died by then. The sum then was N450k
chaiiiii

Wicked bank staffs.so you mean your family let the evil guys get away with it?
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by elonmuskbaby: 8:55pm On Sep 22, 2021
Philip4564:
All the fraudsters don't know the emotional trauma their victims are going through.. The day one scammed me of the 20k meant for my final year project mehn the thing pained me to my bones and marrow I nearly die I was just thinking of how to get the money..I really suffered to get that money even though I'm not yet through with the project because I had to leave school to go hustle for the money when my mate are already done with theirs.. Even though I've never scam anyone before I made a promise to myself and God that throughout my stay on Earth I'll never scam anybody of their hard earned money because I've felt the pain of been scammed
the worst one is using the proceed of fraud to train your children.you just dey implicate those children.let me say it better in yoruba because that will really hit the message- ofi oriburuku eran awon Omo e.the curses wey Victims dey heap on the people wey scam them too Dey affect their children especially if that was the money being used in sending them to school
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by elonmuskbaby: 9:03pm On Sep 22, 2021
alizma:

The best solution is, never give your bank private information to anyone outside the bank and official position. What do I mean by outside the bank and official position?
1. Make sure if you have any issue to resolve, you walk into the bank to resolve it. Even when your account is blocked and you get a pop up message to call care sentre to reactivate it, don't do that, go to the bank.
2. When you get to the bank, make sure the person you ask for solution to your problem is sitting in a position that shows he/she is working in that bank because getting to the banking hall does not guarantee you that that you cannot be defrauded right inside the banking hall.
People's money are being taking away right inside the banking hall by fraud stars, they can use the same means to steal your information.
How do they do it? They know when bank is usually crowdy, they put on suit and walk around as if they are staff of the bank. They help people to get tellers and when they notice someone can easily fall for their trick, they move to the person and give him teller to fill and thereafter tell him to drop the money while they sign the teller for him, the customer is made to believe that his deposit will be posted late but the moment he stepped out, the fake banker also finds his way out and the rest is premium tears
chisossss!!!!

Nigerians can be EVIL and heartless.gosh.how can you do this to a person that has toiled day and night to make his/her money.im sure that the people who they can easily do this to or get attracted to are those illiterate elderly men or women that can neither read nor write and are too old/weak to stand at the que or hustle to get the attention of the cashier in a crowded bank those illiterate elders too will think he is a genuine bank staff because he wore suit and was forming kind assistance
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Eviana(f): 9:24pm On Sep 22, 2021
My heart goes out to her.
Demons with no conscience..
I keep saying that one can not keeping dealing treacherously and think that the wicked behavior won't come back on him/her.
As the Bible says, one will reap what one sows...guaranteed.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by alizma: 9:32pm On Sep 22, 2021
elonmuskbaby:
chisossss!!!!

Nigerians can be EVIL and heartless.gosh.how can you do this to a person that has toiled day and night to make his/her money.im sure that the people who they can easily do this to or get attracted to are those illiterate elderly men or women that can neither read nor write and are too old/weak to stand at the que or hustle to get the attention of the cashier in a crowded bank those illiterate elders too will think he is a genuine bank staff because he wore suit and was forming kind assistance
Lol, you think only the illiterates can be defrauded inside the banking hall? anyone can fall victim. Remember as a Nigerian, we are always in hasty move. Sometimes people just leave somethings half done in their office, rush the bank toquickly drop cash for someone and return to complete the task in the office, just getting to the bank to see a crowded hall. Then he look around and found a guy, well dressed in suit, discussing with a cashier as if he is one of them. thereafter, the guy who's attention is more on the potential victims than his discussion with the cashier walked straight to him and hand him a teller to fill for his transaction and later return to him for the filled teller and cash, telling him that he can drop the cash with him for subsequent posting, then signed the tellers and give him a copy as evidence of payment and collect the cash from him, walking back to the cashier, the depositor believe his money will be handed over to the cashier but unknown to him, nothing of such will happen.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by GetMeRight: 9:42pm On Sep 22, 2021
lajid:

So I’ve got some questions regarding this:

1) how do these scammers get the phone number and account details of people to the extent of calling them and requesting personal information.

Most times, it is hit or miss, mostly guess work. Sometimes, they would tell you from Bank A while you don't have account with that particular bank.

2) can the money be recovered, if yes what process does one need to follow. This is to educate people

No.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by IAMPEDRO: 9:52pm On Sep 22, 2021
lajid:
Hello everyone, so it happened that my Dad made some withdrawals at the ATM, on the last withdrawal the ATM did not dispense.l and he was debited.

Followed him to the bank to complain so the amount will be reversed.

Upon our arrival, we met a woman crying profusely. She was restless, saw three bankers on one computer trying to figure things out and another consoling her.

So it happened that she was scammed of N300,000. She said she received a call from someone who claimed to be the bank manager who asked her to provide some of her private information which she did.

Man, I felt bad for her. I was really angry inside, I hope this scammers meet their Waterloo.

So I’ve got some questions regarding this:

1) how do these scammers get the phone number and account details of people to the extent of calling them and requesting personal information.

2) can the money be recovered, if yes what process does one need to follow. This is to educate people

On a final note, please and please, don’t give your personal information to anyone who claims to be from a certain bank. Always go the bank!
The hrt of men is desperately wicked. I remembered yrs back when a girl (family friend) withdrew 150k from my mummy's account using OTP that was actually my first time of hearing the acronym OTP (One Time Password) all they need is the number you use in receiving alert.
Tho she did it several times and then she will come home to delete alert from my mum phone (mummy was so free she didn't even thought of a wicked girl as such) I just trend on the issue with wisdom and later find out she was the one, although I have forgiven her but can't trust anyone again. Cold catch me that day sha.

The funniest part is that, they are here reading comments, repent and stop hurting people. Repent God is knocking on the door of your hrt.

Pls, pls you see that number that you use in receiving alert guide it, these people can even use your children especially the girl child to do this stuff.

Pls let's be guided.

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by zinaunreal(m): 10:41pm On Sep 22, 2021
elonmuskbaby:
Na them

Yahoo boys are getting pained that their format don dey cast

Continue

Fool. People get scammed everyday. This is not news
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by azpekuliar: 11:14pm On Sep 22, 2021
Osashalom:
I thought they said Yahoo boys are only taking back the money oyibo people took from Nigeria those days, or did they deposit some in the woman's account? Scammers are heartless liars any day .

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Kaymansion(m): 11:55pm On Sep 22, 2021
Mostly the suspects are dismissed bank official
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Fremantle: 11:55pm On Sep 22, 2021
elonmuskbaby:
chaiiiii

Wicked bank staffs.so you mean your family let the evil guys get away with it?
Not really, it so happened that we weren't the first victim of such scam.

The staff(s) involved were dealt with accordingly by the bank.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Gfskw: 12:02am On Sep 23, 2021
Really
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by elonmuskbaby: 1:49am On Sep 23, 2021
bigpicture001:
Who says crime doesn't pay.. at least not in Nigeria... With proceeds of crime, one can marry the finest ladies in town, drive the biggest cars freely, command pastors and elders, delve into any bizness of choice, get respected by polices and everyone else....

Abeg, since all these will be added into u.. now who says crime doesn't pay.. wait let's all get to heaven to judge that, but down here..,,? Crime pays.. u can ask the ladies!
Na them
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by elonmuskbaby: 1:50am On Sep 23, 2021
zinaunreal:

Fool. People get scammed everyday. This is not news
yinmu

So why then are you pained that EVIL people like you are getting exposed grin
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by elonmuskbaby: 1:55am On Sep 23, 2021
alizma:

Lol, you think only the illiterates can be defrauded inside the banking hall? anyone can fall victim. Remember as a Nigerian, we are always in hasty move. Sometimes people just leave somethings half done in the office and want to quickly drop cash for someone and return to complete the task in the office, just getting to the bank to see a crowded hall. The he look around and found a guy, well dressed in suit, discussing with a a cashier, thereafter, the guy who's attention was more on the potential victim than his discussion with the cashier walked straight to him and hand him a teller to fill for his transaction and thereafter, returned to him and tell him that he can drop the cash with him for subsequent posting, then signed a copy of the teller and collect the cash from him, walking back to the teller, the deposit believe his money will be handed over to the cashier but unknown to him, nothing of such will happen.
chaiiiii wickedness.no wonder some banks say they don't want crowd.at least 15 customers per person is allowed while the rests wait outside and come in according to the number given to them

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by koolaid87: 2:01am On Sep 23, 2021
A lot of our old folks are not educated on what's going on in our society, most esp when it comes to internet fraud.

I think the nollywood needs to make movies on educating our old and new generations on the MO of these fraudsters.

Also, there should be commercials everytime on the TV, propagating on how to stay secured to avoiding all these sad stories.

I feel bad for the victim
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Harbeeorlar(m): 4:09am On Sep 23, 2021
oazeez1991:
It's just a pitiable situation 4 d woman, I wish such atrocity could be undo, but unfortunately, it would tk luck and bank cooperation 2 help her case.

As per ur No. 1 question, may God help us all, especially in this country as we are all vulnerable consciously or unconsciously, as long as we av our info or deals with internet or belong 2 any social media network, our info isn't safe. D only set of people dat r safe 2 sm level of extent r dose dat r completely offline nd has notin 2 do with online transactions or banking, dose set occupy d minority nd r mostly dose 4rm old generation.

We just need 2 be fraud conscious nd not be greedy. We need 2 tk it up as duty 2 shield ourselves.

They are the ones that got duped the most. People who uses internet are familiar with all this gimmicks hence this tactics hardly work for them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lulu-Briggs' Burial Date Announced Two Years After His Death / How Much Is Dollar Selling @ The Black Around You? I Just Bought @ 300 Now / The Crowd I Saw At The Onitsha Mall - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.