Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,226 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? (30233 Views)

Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? / The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear / 8 Common Causes Of Tyre Failure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by DataAnalyzer(m): 8:16pm On Sep 27, 2021
���

Elxandre:
You didn't learn from the vulcanizer?
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by TeeGentle(m): 8:17pm On Sep 27, 2021
am here to learn
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by Bornbiafra: 8:17pm On Sep 27, 2021
E
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by switosman(m): 8:17pm On Sep 27, 2021
If you still intend to use the nut then peel off the shin cover, there is a size 17 nut under. That cover made the nut size 19

2 Likes

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by yinkson(m): 8:19pm On Sep 27, 2021
Two ways...

1. Use a more gripping spanner e.g those with 32 teeth instead of the regular 8 teeth spanner

2. Dip the edge of the spanner in a wet or muddy sand to reduce the friction

1 Like

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by Munzy14(m): 8:21pm On Sep 27, 2021
The cruise on this thread eeh...grin
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by EkoErrands: 8:22pm On Sep 27, 2021
Timagex:
Hello car lovers! Hope Monday was good? cool
So, I had to change a Tyre in an emergency situation today and I encountered a problem. After unscrewing two wheel bolts from the Tyre, the third one was not coming off as the wheel spanner could not grip it. Taking a closer look, I discovered that the edges around the wheel bolt has no friction. It was almost round. shocked It took the intervention of a vulcanizer before the bolt could be unscrewed.

My question is, incase of situations where the service of professionals cannot be reached, how can such an issue be handled? Please move to the front page for wider views..

You get a new wheel spanner or borrow another wheel spanner from a flashy car that has not been used. It will grip even a round bolt firmly if you are lucky.

If that doesnt work, buy cold bottle water and pour on the bolt if it is still hot from previous driving...when the bolt is cold enough (ice block preferred) that your own wheel spanner might loose it. For me what I did was to drive home and wait till 6:30am in the morning when the bolt was very cold and my wheel spanner was able to unscrew it.

Conclusion, it's a temperature game. If you cant find cold water or ice, heat from a panel beater can also do the magic.

2 Likes

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by TroubleMaker47(m): 8:23pm On Sep 27, 2021
Timagex:
So, I had to change a Tyre in an emergency situation today and I encountered a problem. After unscrewing two wheel bolts from the Tyre, the third one was not coming off as the wheel spanner could not grip it. Taking a closer look, I discovered that the edges around the wheel bolt has no friction. It was almost round. shocked It took the intervention of a vulcanizer before the bolt could be unscrewed.

My question is, incase of situations where the service of professionals cannot be reached, how can such an issue be handled? Please move to the front page for wider views..
An experienced driver wouldn't use such bolts in his car! EOD
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by dadebayo1(m): 8:29pm On Sep 27, 2021
Timagex:

Nice seeing you here sir grin small world ooo

1 Like

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by jaxxy(m): 8:30pm On Sep 27, 2021
The hexagonal shape is still there so use a better spanner. There a Type with better grip.
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by SonofGod231: 8:30pm On Sep 27, 2021
The Bolt is worn. Most times na gburugburuburu. Last resort is to get a welder to cast another good bolt of same size on the bolt,this way with the wheel spanner,the bad one can easily be unfastened while turning the welded one.
Then you can get a new bolt to replace it.
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by Soteriahascome: 8:35pm On Sep 27, 2021
akphils:
Simple, take off the cap covering the bolt.

Best answer cool

Most times you need the best wheel spanner or better get new bolts
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Sep 27, 2021
Dimejimichael:
Get a lacasara drink and pour round the wheell spanner and also around the bot
this is for screws that are stucked not for screws with bad edges
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by Charmingrascal(m): 8:37pm On Sep 27, 2021
tranxo:

Sprinkle enough rough sand/soil into the wheel spanner to create friction/grip.

Even with this, some will not grip.

To avoid such situations have tools like Torque wrench in your car.
It is not that costly
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by InvertedHammer: 8:40pm On Sep 27, 2021
Timagex:

/
Add some pieces of binding wire to the wheel spanner and hopefully it will provide enough grip loosen it.

Conversely, look for a welder to assist in weld and loose.

Most importantly, do periodic inspection of emergency items in your car--spare tire, wheel spanner, jack, etc.

/
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by SonofGod231: 8:41pm On Sep 27, 2021
Charmingrascal:

It is not that costly
What is the use of a torque wrench when the teethes of the bolt are all worn out and damaged?

2 Likes

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by princefunm: 8:41pm On Sep 27, 2021
Timagex:

Its very simple.

Well...for this kind of emergency you would ideally need to have some tools handy

You'll need to have an appropriately sized impact socket with an accompanying breaker bar.

But lets assume all you have is the regular cross spanner.

What you want to do is this:

1. find the side of the spanner that's slightly smaller than the bolt.

2. Using a hammer or something sufficiently strong, you'll need to force the spanner to fit the bolt. This is why you ideally need an impact socket. The socket can take the beating. But for the spanner that side will probably become useless afterwards

3. You want to make sure you force the bolt into the spanner all the way in. This will give it enough grip.

4. No after you have satisfied yourself hat there is enough hold on the bold you want to gently hit the spanner counterclockwise to unscrew the bolt.

5. This shoudl unscrew. Unscre it till its just enough to allow you to use your hand to unscrew the rest of the way.

6. Now this time, you want to hit the spanner up and down to break the hold so that the spanner can come off the bolt.

7. Once you have removed the spanner, unscrew the bolt the rest of the wsy with your hand

4 Likes

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by chival(f): 8:41pm On Sep 27, 2021
I think the more important question is how to ensure this doesn't happen again. Simply replace worn bolts, and this does not apply to tyres alone. A few months ago, I kept noticing a high pitched whine with every hard turn. Took the car to a mechanic and he discovered a worn bolt/boring was the culprit.

1 Like

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by majamajic(m): 8:42pm On Sep 27, 2021
Buy a new bolt , like 200 naira

Simple

1 Like

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by Tedpgrass: 8:42pm On Sep 27, 2021
A spanner +/- wet sand
Chip off the edges till you get a grip.

Will never consider welding.. Can lead to a fire accident - sparks and a car tank full of petrol are not best together.

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by chival(f): 8:44pm On Sep 27, 2021
princefunm:

Its very simple.

Well...for this kind of emergency you would ideally need to have some tools handy

You'll need to have an appropriately sized impact socket with an accompanying breaker bar.

2. Using a hammer or something sufficiently strong, you'll need to force the spanner to fit the bolt. This is why you ideally need an impact socket. The socket can take the beating. But for the spanner that side will probably become useless afterwards

3. You want to make sure you force the bolt into the spanner all the way in. This will give it enough grip.

4. No after you have satisfied yourself hat there is enough hold on the bold you want to gently hit the spanner counterclockwise to unscrew the bolt.

5. This shoudl unscrew. Unscre it till its just enough to allow you to use your hand to unscrew the rest of the way.

6. Now this time, you want to hit the spanner up and down to break the hold so that the spanner can come off the bolt.

7. Once you have removed the spanner, unscrew the bolt the rest of the wsy with your hand

This method will probably ruin the spanner afterwards, but I guess it's something to try if there's nothing else to be done.
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by Jasobry: 8:44pm On Sep 27, 2021
Timagex:

Pad the spanner with light cloth and unscrew

2 Likes

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by majamajic(m): 8:45pm On Sep 27, 2021
Dimejimichael:
Get a lacasara drink and pour round the wheell spanner and also around the bot

This is for lust bolt and nut , not in this situation

1 Like

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by princefunm: 8:46pm On Sep 27, 2021
Charmingrascal:

It is not that costly

Never use a torque wrench to loosen a bolt.

1. You'll break the nut
2. You'll damage the torque mechanism

Use a breaker bar instead

3 Likes

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by princefunm: 8:50pm On Sep 27, 2021
chival:

This method will probably ruin the spanner afterwards, but I guess it's something to try if there's nothing else to be done.

Yup.....

Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

I would have said who the hell rounds out a lug nut anyway.

But.... I've found myself in this quagmire twice....so who am I to judge.

1 Like

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by Tripleoluwa(m): 8:50pm On Sep 27, 2021
Just buy another bearing.
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by princefunm: 8:56pm On Sep 27, 2021
heybeebugatty:
I will use my teeth to loose it...
I come in peace grin

How many you still get. grin grin grin grin
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by Bfss: 8:59pm On Sep 27, 2021
Oh
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by symbianDON(m): 9:02pm On Sep 27, 2021
Bayaar02:
Burn the fvcking car and get a new one.

God bless our darling president.

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by okoroemeka(m): 9:03pm On Sep 27, 2021
RedEnergy:
In an emergency situation without adequate tools, find a rugged stone to hit your screwdriver on the nut at a slanted angle in the direction to loosen it until the nut turns a few threads till you can loosen it with your wheel spanner. That's why it is important to have a toolbox in your car permanently, but if you don't have, at least you should have something basic like a screwdriver and spanners. But if you are the type that won't keep a single tool in your car like a screwdriver, then you are screwed in an emergency situation. God help you if your tyre bursts in the middle of nowhere along interstate forests and you can't loosen your tire grin
I actually had such experience one time I was driving a tokunbo car from Lagos to the east,one of the Tyre blow in no man's land and the wheel nuts has rusted tight and can't loose,I have to drive it like that to a safe place condemning Tyre and rim,I don't care about that my life is more important than Tyre ,next time if I have to drive a tokunbo car from Lagos I make sure the whole wheel nuts are well oiled loosed and tighten again.

2 Likes

Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by ikdaddy01(m): 9:15pm On Sep 27, 2021
Its screwing it back after discovery that is the problem.
Re: Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? by Timagex(m): 9:19pm On Sep 27, 2021
princefunm:

Its very simple.

Thank you so much sir. .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Toyota Sienna In Road Accident In Anambra, Driver Disappears As 1 Die, 4 Injured / Top Current Car Brands And Their Country Of Origin / Understanding Fifth Wheels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.