Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,079 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy (25200 Views)

The Harsh Things Your Wife Has Ever Told You. / Older Nigerian Mothers On What They Would Do Differently As New Mothers / A Thread To Celebrate Our Mothers On Mother's Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by eagleonearth(m): 2:08pm On Oct 02, 2021
Zico777:

Madam,i do not understand that your number 5 o!
translated in layman's: Avoid ojukokoro

3 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Exodora: 2:11pm On Oct 02, 2021
sisisioge:

Washing machine fa.

Let's add....make liquid soap from a good source to wash in the machine instead of buying the soft washing machine soap.

Also, start training your kids to eat small portions instead of the monstrous portions they eat that make them pot bellied and obesed. Better for them to eat 4 times a day instead of their usual 3 that is actually 6.

Do a lean check of your household processes and eliminate waste. Morning fresh should not be finishing in 2 weeks, detergent shouldnt be finishing quickly biko, buy blue harpic instead of white so you could easily see when you've added enough to the toilet, no more running ACs all the time or even ironing the children's socks grin.....

May God help us o....things are incredibly expensive now. Na wa for Buhari regime....the guy do us strong thing. How can a single dollar be our own 550 naira? Isnt that witchcraft?
Why harpic for toilet when Hypo can do the job better .
Dollar is 570

5 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Ekpekus(m): 2:13pm On Oct 02, 2021
watchrepairer:
I think it high time we start watching each other's back as sisters.
1. No more wasting food ooo is beta I dish small n u request for more that to have leftover, or u cover it put it in d fridge, microwave it later. embarassed

2. Sell some of the out grown stuff (shoes, shirt, tops etc) that is still neat to some Sister around at give away price and use the money to buy urgent egg, milk, milo etc instead of asking Big Baby(hubby angry) for the money.

3. Time to stop our nagging tantrum on those unnecessary demand, cut down cost, stay on budget. cloth can never finish in d market, style can never finish, latest stuff will always be in d market so don't over Press ur Husband on unnecessary items, dont let him die now ooo

4.If possible lean 1 hand work join the office work u do or sell something so u will neva be in the demanding corner all the time, at all at all something will always be at hand. wink

5. last last to my point, let go of envy n jealousy, over taking is allowed. u buy before me today make it outdated when I want to buy mine tomorrow. No STRESS UR HUSBAND ooo, he's stressed up at work, he stressed up in traffic n getting home u come dey show the shoko way dey ur head.... omo na kill u want kill dat guy ooo make 2 person load no come turn to 1 ooo (think wating go follow am oo) cool

Life na jeje ooo worship God n enjoy the little blessing u have gotten from HIM (Psalm 84:11)

How can I like this post like 1000 times? You make sense wella and God bless you..

9 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by 24brains(m): 2:14pm On Oct 02, 2021
ahnie:
I ve started re-training my two kids...no more eateries,done with fast food life .i cannot be buying food of #1700 in eateries when I cook use #500 to cook delicious concoction red oil rice!

Ensure you drink lots of water before feeding make your Belle quick full.

And when the food finishes...thank your Jesus and movvvve,make I no hear...Mummy please I need another one,na knocks I go just press for their heads.

I got a crate of eggs yesterday and told them this crate of eggs must last us like 2yrs grin grin grin.

I just bought a carton of besties noodles,I told them no matter what this innocent carton of noodle must last us solid 8 years before we finish eating it. grin grin.how I cook it is not your business,yours is just to eat
ahhhh!! 9ja don cast like this? Now i know why JESUS said "it is finished".
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Jammy2: 2:16pm On Oct 02, 2021
[/sup][sup]
Wondermumsy:
No be small oooo.naija don tire us ooo.i will also like to add this.if you get 2 pikins hold break 4 now till Bihari come down.as pampers don cost. even baby food set na wah grin grin grin
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by topiiiiiiii(f): 2:20pm On Oct 02, 2021
finnacle2020:
With each passing day the cost of items in the market are going up and many mothers are finding it difficult to buy items from the market. Here are some few tips to assist mothers :

1. Have a budget and list of items needed in the house
2. Buy items in bulk like buying beans, rice and tomato that will last 3-6months.
3. Look for alternatives to expensive items like buying potato instead of yam, Napkin instead of pampers
4. look for other sources of income
5. Stop looking at your neighbors food

please nairalanders you can add your own
the only important thing here is steady and reliable source income, what is the job of coming to this world without eating well nd living well. Make God bless our hustle

5 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Nothingserious: 2:23pm On Oct 02, 2021
ahnie:
I ve started re-training my two kids...no more eateries,done with fast food life .i cannot be buying food of #1700 from eateries when I can use #500 to cook delicious concoction red oil rice!

And when the food finishes...thank your Jesus and movvvve,make I no hear...Mummy please I need another one,na knocks I go just press for their heads.

I got a crate of eggs yesterday and told them this crate of eggs must last us like 2yrs grin grin grin.

I just bought a carton of besties noodles,I told them no matter what this innocent carton of noodle must last us solid 8 years before we finish eating it. grin grin.how I cook it is not your business,yours is just to eat.

I have also sent memos to our respective families...no more visitation again,learn to sit your butts in your houses.if you must come bring enough foodstuffs and you mustn't stay more than two days grin grin. And be kind enough not to waste my toothpaste....last I checked oral B toothpaste don pass #500.

When you want to bathe...abeg use half bucket of water,don't forget to come with your sponge and soaps.

Times are hard mehn.

Hahaha!

No be only 2 years. Na 50 years e go last nah!
Abeg give us your address, let’s add to the number of visitors for you.

Seriously my wife likes to iron everything for house including handkerchiefs, singlets , stockings and underwears. And she washes our children clothes frequently even if they just splash water on themselves and remove it or ride bike. She said that was how her mum trained her. Me I grew up in the village. She grew up in the town. I will just be watching our meter regularly as her ironing and washing machine drains the power.

She no dey hear word ooo. Said her children cannot behave like me when I was small. Lol

She also adds plenty food for visitors. Most times they don’t finish it.

Me and her will keep having the discussion until she agrees. Of course I can’t just change someone’s daughter to think like me. If not na so so fight for house everyday.

5 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by jeff1607(m): 2:25pm On Oct 02, 2021
chii8:
Cut down on provision......
Check their school oooo,if the fee is too much,go for a cheaper one.it is same scheme, everywhere.

Pride will not let some parents choose cheaper schools , especially when they wanna keep up with the Jones

7 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by watchrepairer: 2:30pm On Oct 02, 2021
Ekpekus:

How can I like this post like 1000 times? You make sense wella and God bless you..

God bless u too real good. stay calm n leave thing in God's hand smiley
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Pootle: 2:36pm On Oct 02, 2021
true talk
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by odutolasodiq(m): 2:36pm On Oct 02, 2021
Cousin9999:
- You'd be surprised how much food you can grow in a pot or fabric bag.

- Run a business out of your home. Explore your options and be creative.
Can you explain how this works?
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Cousin9999: 2:42pm On Oct 02, 2021
odutolasodiq:
Can you explain how this works?

What specifically would you like to know?
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by descarado: 2:44pm On Oct 02, 2021
It should read" families"not necessarily mothers.
You guys never learn.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by NoToPile: 2:45pm On Oct 02, 2021
Honestly its getting terrible .

5 liters of veg oil(kings and laziz) was 5,500 as at 2 weeks back, last weekI used style to ask price it was 6,300 yesterday it was 6,500.

Very important tip is no more food wastage, gone are the days you cook extra in case visitor comes.

5 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by ADUKKY(f): 2:55pm On Oct 02, 2021
finnacle2020:
With each passing day the cost of items in the market are going up and many mothers are finding it difficult to buy items from the market. Here are some few tips to assist mothers :

2. Buy items in bulk like buying beans, rice and tomato that will last 3-6months.
3. Look for alternatives to expensive items like buying potato instead of yam, Napkin instead of pampers

6. Don't be fixated on brands. There are cheaper brands in same category that will serve same purpose. If Blueband give you problem, try Golden Penny. If Indomie noodles increase price, try Minimie noodles.
7. Cook in bulk if you have a freezer and constant electricity.
8. If you are buying bulk, go to bigger markets like Ile Epo, Mile 12 etc.
9. Practice portion control. Most times, children eat to fill the tummy. Give them only portion you know they can finish at once, with promise to give more if need be.

6 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Standing5(m): 2:56pm On Oct 02, 2021
finnacle2020:

You forgot to add that when bought in bulk, items that can be easily consumed should be kept away from naked eye to avoid consumption out of boredom.

3 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Zico777(m): 2:56pm On Oct 02, 2021
Oju4190:
.... Don't compete with Ur neighbour.....If Ur neighbour slaughter chicken for Christmas....he nor mean say u must do same....check Ur pocket, fish nor bad
True talk!
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by LoverOfLove: 3:00pm On Oct 02, 2021
bukatyne:

2: Buying in bulk is only cheaper for someone who has cashflow makes lump sum.

If a family makes daily/weekly income, they obviously would not be able to buy in bulk.

3: in addition to substituting food, also substitute brands; a pack of ziplock is about N2,700; there are locally sold brandless ziplock for 400 per dozen which does same job.

Morning Fresh is also cheaper than Mama Lemon; what I hated in MF before is now the selling point: the tiny dispenser.

Sunlight detergent vs Ariel etc.

Also learn to be very resourceful: cooking spray is same as rubbing your pan with olive oil or ororo;

Learn where to source for things at a cheaper rate.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by ADUKKY(f): 3:00pm On Oct 02, 2021
jeff1607:

Pride will not let some parents choose cheaper schools , especially when they wanna keep up with the Jones

And such a person will learn the hard way. Our first child gained admission to secondary school, hubby and I looked at his fees and decided no way. We can't be having high BP because of school fees, the sibling must go to school now. Luckily another good school around was writing entrance exam, that's how we had family meeting and let our baby know he has to write another entrance. He aced it and has since resumed. We paid fees with ease and peace of mind.

7 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Limassol(m): 3:01pm On Oct 02, 2021
graphics104:
cool Will be waiting for the counter thread
No one can counter reality.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by SugarSpill(m): 3:06pm On Oct 02, 2021
fogechi:

But who will be washing the napkin.

The father and sometimes, the mother can help.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by bigcee(m): 3:08pm On Oct 02, 2021
Zico777:

Madam,i do not understand that your number 5 o!
Na passive aggressive remark be that o grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Zico777(m): 3:09pm On Oct 02, 2021
bigcee:

Na passive aggressive remark be that o grin grin grin
grin Nooo
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Babastrong(m): 3:12pm On Oct 02, 2021
6. Eat twice a day. Have your breakfast ealier, eat fruit or drink pap in the afternoon, and combine your lunch and super @7pm.

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Spherical77(m): 3:29pm On Oct 02, 2021
ADUKKY:

And such a person will learn the hard way. Our first child gained admission to secondary school, hubby and I looked at his fees and decided no way. We can't be having high BP because of school fees, the sibling must go to school now. Luckily another good school around was writing entrance exam, that's how we had family meeting and let our baby know he has to write another entrance. He aced it and has since resumed. We paid fees with ease and peace of mind.
Love your family decision. Tumb up!!!
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Modesty0604(m): 3:40pm On Oct 02, 2021
fogechi:

Lol....I guess she meant avoid longer throat

You must not eat chicken because your neighbour ate chicken.

That's what he means...
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Nekky5(f): 3:42pm On Oct 02, 2021
One can substitute powdered me for soy powder if you know how to process it. Afterall it contains more amino acids than the milk they sell out there in the market. Maize and cassava flour when you process by yourself in the right proportion would help last longer than garrison which is very expensive. Food stuffs can be purchased from village markets that sell on specific days.they are cheaper than items sold at our daily markets. We need divine wisdom this period on home management and may God protect our children from evil. Pls do not forget to add fruits especially oranges ,source of vitamin C against infection.

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by sisisioge: 3:45pm On Oct 02, 2021
Exodora:

Why harpic for toilet when Hypo can do the job better .
Dollar is 570

Chai shocked shocked
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by MrMacinterchi1: 3:45pm On Oct 02, 2021
Nothingserious:

Hahaha!

No be only 2 years. Na 50 years e go last nah!
Abeg give us your address, let’s add to the number of visitors for you.

Seriously my wife likes to iron everything for house including handkerchiefs, singlets , stockings and underwears. And she washes our children clothes frequently even if they just splash water on themselves and remove it or ride bike. She said that was how her mum trained her. Me I grew up in the village. She grew up in the town. I will just be watching our meter regularly as her ironing and washing machine drains the power.

She no dey hear word ooo. Said her children cannot behave like me when I was small. Lol

She also adds plenty food for visitors. Most times they don’t finish it.

Me and her will keep having the discussion until she agrees. Of course I can’t just change someone’s daughter to think like me. If not na so so fight for house everyday.
make una see reasons together. lol. good luck

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Diligent1(f): 3:51pm On Oct 02, 2021
There is no money to buy food stuff in bulk even half paint is difficult. I was sharing N350 bread with my four children yesterday, they were crying.

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by KunlePrism(m): 3:56pm On Oct 02, 2021
I ve started re-training my two kids...no more eateries,done with fast food life .i cannot be buying food of #1700 from eateries when I can use #500 to cook delicious concoction red oil rice!

I just bought a carton of besties noodles,I told them no matter what this innocent carton of noodle must last us solid 8 years before we finish eating it. grin grin.how I cook it is not your business,yours is just to eat.

I have also sent memos to our respective families...no more visitation again,learn to sit your butts in your houses.if you must come bring enough foodstuffs and you mustn't stay more than two days grin grin. And be kind enough not to waste my toothpaste....last I checked oral B toothpaste don pass #500.

When you want to bathe...abeg use half bucket of water,don't forget to come with your sponge and soaps.

Times are hard mehn.
grin grin
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by stanley000: 3:57pm On Oct 02, 2021
For those of you who met your slay queens sorry wives on instagram and snapchat these tips won't work on her oh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Uncle Wife Is Insensitive / As I'm Enduring This, Am I Really Making My Children Better? / How Embarrassing Can It Get During The 9months Course(pregnancy).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.