Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy (25197 Views)

The Harsh Things Your Wife Has Ever Told You. / Older Nigerian Mothers On What They Would Do Differently As New Mothers / A Thread To Celebrate Our Mothers On Mother's Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by shantti(m): 8:05pm On Oct 02, 2021
category:
1) If you have any fallow lands near you, try to plant vegetables.

2) Replace the flowers in your compound with edible vegetables and fruits eg plantains plants and bananas.

3) if possible, do some domestic animal husbandry (chicken rearing, snail rearing, fish pond etc)

4) Rent a two bedroom flat instead of a three bedroom flat if you are somewhat comfortable with that.

Take life jeje my people.

Abeg cancel that chicken rearing, if u know the current price of feed, and what it cost to rear chicken now, u will prefer to buy to buy chicken for consumption rather than for rearing
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by ibtommy(m): 8:06pm On Oct 02, 2021
chii8:

grin grin grin ;

Biko embarassed
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by shantti(m): 8:11pm On Oct 02, 2021
Ligxy:

Fruit keh, you know how much be apple now? Abi a bunch of banana that is 400 for 6 tiny pieces

Omo, orange come cost, two for #100. I wanted to buy one water melon, malam tell me #1000, omo I face front.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by vicstoneint(f): 8:24pm On Oct 02, 2021
Always go to the market with a list of things you want to buy,
Don't buy what is not on your list.
Don't buy what you did not not budget for.
Make due with what you have..
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by vicstoneint(f): 8:37pm On Oct 02, 2021
Always go to the market with a list of things you want to buy,
Don't buy what is not on your list.
Don't buy what you did not not budget for.
Make due with what you have..
Stop buying things on credit.

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by ImaIma1(f): 8:49pm On Oct 02, 2021
bukatyne:

2: Buying in bulk is only cheaper for someone who has cashflow.

If a family makes daily/weekly income, they obviously would not be able to buy in bulk.

3: in addition to substituting food, also substitute brands; a pack of ziplock is about N2,700; there are locally sold brandless ziplock for 400 per dozen which does same job.

Morning Fresh is also cheaper than Mama Lemon; what I hated in MF before is now the selling point: the tiny dispenser.

Sunlight detergent vs Ariel etc.

Also learn to be very resourceful: cooking spray is same as rubbing your pan with olive oil or ororo;

Learn where to source for things at a cheaper rate.

Cooking spray kwa...lol. That is a total waste of money especially in this economy. I doubt a lot of people even use it normally. I've never bought it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Wondermumsy(f): 8:57pm On Oct 02, 2021
highchief1:
lol u no get head �.laugh wan keee me here
no body get head 4 naija now ooo as bubu don take efry tin embarassed embarassed : embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by galantjoe(m): 9:06pm On Oct 02, 2021
The last one is a real fact. All hands are not equal.

Business people and artisans are receiving their income in current value thus counting gains in market value while salary earners like us are suffering for big time because our income is predetermined by book value or historical cost. My salary was last reviewed upward in 2019 when a dollar was selling at N350. Now at rate of N550 per dollar, my salary is still the same figure.

Things are very hard. No savings again.

May God have Mercy on us

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Princelumide: 9:20pm On Oct 02, 2021
What have you contributed to your own community? If you can't comprehend with the word of God, you can just mute!!! shocked lipsrsealed

Ayo2004:

Is that not what you people said ten years ago
Has it been better

The sooner you people drop your religous mumuism and understand God gave us natural resources,intellectual minds (two main ingredients for building a happy nation) and He doesn't really involve himself in human matters directly,the better for you

Countries wey no get God sef dey do better
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Rodinat: 9:34pm On Oct 02, 2021
Has baby disposable diaper price isn't smiling.
You can contact 08144504447 for baby imported, adjustable, washable diaper.
You will surely get value for your money.
Highly durable.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Princelumide: 9:38pm On Oct 02, 2021
Let's be honest with ourselves, without religion where do you think you're going to find yourself? No matter the type of religion entity you belong to. Your own type of belief system might be shallow cos of the way you response to things. At 61 for Nigeria, we're way far better than lots countries out there no matter what it is. If you don't believe in what you have at hand, you can't grow else where. Capish!!! shocked shocked
almarthins:

Make we open our eyes dey lie to our self. My pple no sleep o! Any tin can happen for this country now.

We had been using religion to shade the real fact of reality. A typical Nigerian is not thinking about any one but himself and his family. He will do any thing to hoodwink his fellow man just for money. It doesn't matter whether he is a professed christian as long as Jesus is nt in him. You will see it in his character.
A country where dollar is not used to purchase locally produced food, yet price of Food keep going up. A country that has natural gas more than crude oil is still selling gas at international price to her citizen.

If at 61 we the pple of Nigeria are still thinking God created all this problem for us then we re as good as gone. Yet God can solve all our problem, but most pple in this part of the world re dishonest
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by wonyi: 9:46pm On Oct 02, 2021
Cousin9999:
- You'd be surprised how much food you can grow in a pot or fabric bag.

- Run a business out of your home. Explore your options and be creative.

Thanks. What kind of soil should I use?
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Ay04z(m): 9:48pm On Oct 02, 2021
Everyone be should learning how to be doing small small farming by now... D only solution i see..... Dat will bring the price of food kom down..... Let make it an habit... If not. In 2 years time there will be a lot of hunger in d land... D poor will eat the rich...
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Cousin9999: 9:55pm On Oct 02, 2021
wonyi:

Thanks. What kind of soil should I use?

I made a thread a while back on growing and raising stuff in a small space.
https://www.nairaland.com/6060136/growing-raising-small-home

There's a ton of free literature out there on this.

Also, the agriculture forum has a lot of good info.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by almarthins(m): 10:10pm On Oct 02, 2021
Princelumide:
Let's be honest with ourselves, without religion where do you think you're going to find yourself? No matter the type of religion entity you belong to. Your own type of belief system might be shallow cos of the way you response to things. At 61 for Nigeria, we're way far better than lots countries out there no matter what it is. If you don't believe in what you have at hand, you can't grow else where. Capish!!! shocked shocked

The way we take religion makes it look like a prison yard. Yet, if we read our Bible thoroughly we will find it where it was writting "if you re wise , it is for thyself". at 61 we re still going round and round in circle. Nigeria is still find it difficult to stand on her feet, the giant is crawling. Her pple are hungry, hopeless and depressed.

Religion should not be used to push evil forward, what's happening in the north is endemic in religion, they bred a monster they can not longer tame. And this monster is growing ever stronger and stronger. Spreading it's wing over the northern terrains and wagging it's across the southern lines. Religion gave birth to it.

The second stanza of our national item read, oh God of creation direct our Noble cause. Nigeria as a nation and pple does not even fear God. Wickedness is what we practise daily. So how will God that we never fear direct our noble course, and besides do we really have a course again after we fell from Grace in the late 60s?
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Evaloyal2J(f): 10:17pm On Oct 02, 2021
Each time I goes and return from market, I'll be like, where did I lost the money?
Btw,I need to see the doctor for antidote for sudden increase appetite for food in children nowadays. Imagine kids I used to police before they'll eat their food suddenly developed appetite for food in this buharis disaster of a regime.

3 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Rubbiish(m): 10:24pm On Oct 02, 2021
ahnie:

Them full for bush nau...Lolz!
I learnt a bag of sachet water now goes for #200.
#400 in my area & it is even scarce
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Rubbiish(m): 10:33pm On Oct 02, 2021
shantti:

Is this one caused by government too? This is simply greed by the seller
Everything govt does have ripple effect!
If a phone of 10k now cost 20k because of our weak naira, know that the farmer selling onions will also need to increase their prices to enable them meet up with the high rate of imported goods which they must consume, because na from there them dey earn.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Elsueno: 10:34pm On Oct 02, 2021
Ligxy:
1 bag of pure water has increased to 250 naira here o.
Even a kilo of meat way use to be 700 b4 d change era is now about 2.6k....
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by bouremie(m): 10:36pm On Oct 02, 2021
One can substitute powdered me for soy powder if you know how to process it. Afterall it contains more amino acids than the milk they sell out there in the market. Maize and cassava flour when you process by yourself in the right proportion would help last longer than garrison which is very expensive. Food stuffs can be purchased from village markets that sell on specific days.they are cheaper than items sold at our daily markets. We need divine wisdom this period on home management and may God protect our children from evil. Pls do not forget to add fruits especially oranges ,source of vitamin C against infection.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Lamanii22(f): 11:50pm On Oct 02, 2021
podium:

Lol... The woman were I buy am from say na 15k a bag she buy am... Some of 5 to 7k before before

I wanted to buy orange this Evening, the aboki usually sell to me at 3 for N100, but he said it's N50 per one today... Omoor I just left him ooo.... Orange of 10 10 naira... Oga oooo

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by YourFavorite21(m): 12:18am On Oct 03, 2021
A single dollar, is our own ₦550, No be juju be That undecided
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Munzy14(m): 1:51am On Oct 03, 2021
Wondermumsy:
No be small oooo.naija don tire us ooo.i will also like to add this.if you get 2 pikins hold break 4 now till Bihari come down.as pampers don cost. even baby food set na wah grin grin grin
Lol...
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by kvfranc6: 5:17am On Oct 03, 2021
ahnie:
I ve started re-training my two kids...no more eateries,done with fast food life .i cannot be buying food of #1700 per person from eateries when I can use #500 to cook delicious concoction red oil rice!

Ensure you drink lots of water before feeding make your Belle quick full.

And when the food finishes...thank your Jesus and movvvve,make I no hear...Mummy please I need another one,na knocks I go just press for their heads.

I got a crate of eggs yesterday and told them this crate of eggs must last us like 2yrs grin grin grin.

I just bought a carton of besties noodles,I told them no matter what this innocent carton of noodle must last us solid 8 years before we finish eating it. grin grin.how I cook it is not your business,yours is just to eat.

I have also sent memos to our respective families...no more visitation again,learn to sit your butts in your houses.if you must come bring enough foodstuffs and you mustn't stay more than two days grin grin. And be kind enough not to waste my toothpaste....last I checked oral B toothpaste don pass #500.

When you want to bathe...abeg use half bucket of water,don't forget to come with your sponge and soaps.

Times are hard mehn.
mad o
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by podium(m): 5:52am On Oct 03, 2021
Lamanii22:

I wanted to buy orange this Evening, the aboki usually sell to me at 3 for N100, but he said it's N50 per one today... Omoor I just left him ooo.... Orange of 10 10 naira... Oga oooo

When I been dey sell for my mum, it was 3 for 20 naira den... And seven to eight for 50..

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Emma1Oj(m): 7:19am On Oct 03, 2021
Lol..... U crack my ribs
NGArmyTerrorist:
So una later agreed that "there's hash economy in Nigeria? " it will start biting very soon! Those who called us liars and mischievous will understand very soon. When it starts and if I caught any nairaland minion anywhere stealing na to send'm to baba for heaven for judgement.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by ugotex85: 7:51am On Oct 03, 2021
Tips for mothers
1. Stop going to spa, doing manicure and pedicure for now.
2. Reduce spending on hair, manage local weave and augment with wearing of wigs.
3. Stop all these Asoebi and Owambe, use that money you planned to use to show off on food and other priorities.
4. You already have enough hand bags, shoes, jewelries. No more buying more for now, at least till the economy improves.
5. Instead of ordering organic cosmetics from Instagram, learn how to do it yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Heavance(m): 8:23am On Oct 03, 2021
finnacle2020:

3. Look for alternatives to expensive items like buying potato instead of yam, Napkin instead of pampers

please nairalanders you can add your own
Diapers not pampers...
Please Nigerians let's know the difference.

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by topiiiiiiii(f): 1:46pm On Oct 03, 2021
ugotex85:
Tips for mothers
1. Stop going to spa, doing manicure and pedicure for now.
2. Reduce spending on hair, manage local weave and augment with wearing of wigs.
3. Stop all these Asoebi and Owambe, use that money you planned to use to show off on food and other priorities.
4. You already have enough hand bags, shoes, jewelries. No more buying more for now, at least till the economy improves.
5. Instead of ordering organic cosmetics from Instagram, learn how to do it yourself.
when do you think ecomomy will be ok to enjoy life,please the only advice valid to people is how to make more income and adjust to making more , if we give up on all yhis gpod things that we should do as human with limited time on eartg when are we now going to enjoy , please hopefully not waiting for children to be somebody because now you make them to be somebody no chances again, please let us talk on how to get multiple plenty source of income, people are stilll living their best life. And i dont see anything changing, make God just bless our hustle and live up and beyond to current expectations and demands

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by caandi: 7:12pm On Oct 03, 2021
It is well my people
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Zico777(m): 8:32am On Oct 06, 2021
grin
bigcee:

Na passive aggressive remark be that o grin grin grin
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by mimicherry: 4:27pm On Nov 06, 2021
Asour:

Nice.

Although even if Education is the same scheme everywhere, the execution is NOT.

I've come to realize that quality education(not necessarily expensive by the way) at the foundation levels is a huge advantage. Depending on a child's natural aptitude, if the foundation is weak, they'll suffer the effects possibly forever. Even 'expensive' schools are getting a lot wrong at the foundation.

My solution?

While you opt for the 'cheap' school, take more interest in the child learning progress from creche to 10 yrs to complement the 'cheap' school work.

Online resources are now available.
E.g.
Curriculum pathways.
Studypug.
Saylor academy.

Etc.
*Studypug is a paid service but it's worth it.
Invest in a PC for their learning and get a MIFI service strictly for learning.

Be involved to assess their progress.
If you're able to get them (children) self motivated and confident at learning at 10 yrs, you already have a head start.

Cheers.
God help us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Uncle Wife Is Insensitive / As I'm Enduring This, Am I Really Making My Children Better? / How Embarrassing Can It Get During The 9months Course(pregnancy).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.